3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad vibrations??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the worst problem the dealership has is that I dont and wont give up, until the problem is fixed or I move on to a new car. Acura reliability is one of the reasons I moved from Ford, I NEVER had any problems with my Fords but to get the car I wanted (size performance, luxory, and size) for the price paid for the TL, there is nothing else available. Acura has a great thing going with the TL, but little problems like this are enough to run away current Acura owners. There are certainly going to be little problems with all cars, but flat spotting tires, a vibration, and the rattles at highway speeds are enough to make the TL less atraractive of a purchase. These things cause me to believe that Acura dependability and quaility are not what I expected. That being said...I still LOVE the car. But Give up,not going to happen. If the dealershiop finally says they give up and cant fix then I move on to the next step, but a slong as they are willing to try, they are at least trying. The dealership is only a bit out of my way, and I doi get a loaner TL or TSX on evry trip. It has now been 5 trips by the way.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thegabrielles
Well, the worst problem the dealership has is that I dont and wont give up, until the problem is fixed or I move on to a new car. Acura reliability is one of the reasons I moved from Ford, I NEVER had any problems with my Fords but to get the car I wanted (size performance, luxory, and size) for the price paid for the TL, there is nothing else available. Acura has a great thing going with the TL, but little problems like this are enough to run away current Acura owners. There are certainly going to be little problems with all cars, but flat spotting tires, a vibration, and the rattles at highway speeds are enough to make the TL less atraractive of a purchase. These things cause me to believe that Acura dependability and quaility are not what I expected. That being said...I still LOVE the car. But Give up,not going to happen. If the dealershiop finally says they give up and cant fix then I move on to the next step, but a slong as they are willing to try, they are at least trying. The dealership is only a bit out of my way, and I doi get a loaner TL or TSX on evry trip. It has now been 5 trips by the way.
I agree with you. I've had identical issues as. The dealer has been great in trying to fix what they can. They know the tires are the problem but they don't have the approval to put on new tires. I called Acura and they told me like it or not the tires flatspot. I asked him why did you put a tire that flatspots on this car, and he said that is the characteristic of the tire. So they know the tire flatspots, they changed with Michelins and the guy agrees. He said that the Michelins don't flat spot. I asked to change mine with the Michelins and the useless ACS told me that is not what they are doing at this time. He stated in the future we might do this but not now. I'm sorry, I love this car also, but I can't go to the dealer every day it gets below 40 degrees. For people who don't have the issue, you can't understand. I also chose Acura for the reliability factor but if this isn't fixed soon (which they know the problem exist) I will never buy another car from the honda group. For those who say just buy new tires, I'm not going to do that. I would rather use the money on a different car with good tires that don't flatspot.

Again, the dealer has been great, I love the car, but the tires are flatspotting and that needs to get fixed. My car didn't flatspot in the summer.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:12 AM
GOLDEN NUGGET

No Fix

I hear ya, but there is too much evidence out there now showing that no matter what your dealer does, it's not going to work. Personally, I don't like my car being taken apart and put together time after time. I also agree with the reliability factor. This is my 3rd honda product. I had a 95 integra and a 98 accord coupe. Both were outstanding products. No one shilled more about Honda then myself. This is why I'm so upset about what is going on. I hold Honda much higher than most manufacturers. I honestly never thought a problem like this would happen with my new car, let alone get such a run around from what I thought was an outstanding company. Honestly, I love the look of the car, the features, etc. If i get some relief, I'm not sure what car I would buy. I just don't like the ride of this car.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Racer

Actually I like the ride of the car ( Without the Vibration) I dont like a spongy cadilac feel, I like to feel the road. With the TL you ge that, we just have to get rid of the vibration. I also dont like my car being taken apart, but unfortunately that is the only way for Acura to finally admit a problem. They will evntually get sick of paying techs to attemt to fix something that is a known problem and they will come out with a viable solution. The squeeky wheel does get oiled, it just has to squeek loud enough. You going to a lawer about your problem definitely helps the rest of us out but if you never do anything about the problem, it will always be there. Acura will never tell anyone that there car has a vibration unless the customer notices it first. I also have no ida what car I would get to replace my TL if it comes down to it. There just is not anything in that price range that compares. But hopefully it will not come to that.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Instructor

The tires aren't the only issue you guys are dealing with. See my other posts. I got tired of dealing with it and Acura gave me money in addition to my trade to get me out of the TL. Sad state of affairs if you ask me.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Racer

There is definitely other issues, but tires are a problem. What did you trade for? That would be the biggest problem about getting out of my TL, there is not much in that price range that has the TL features.

I agree with grktl about the flat spotting except that is not that big a deal to me, at least I know it will go away in a few miles, the problem is the vibration while driving. I+That aI can not stand, if Acura could fix that and not the Flat spotting I would be happy with my car ( well happier) I am to picky to have any problems with it. As I stated I love the way the car drives, I jusy wish Acura would step up and find a solution.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Racer

Well, its time for another trip to the dealership, new tires are worse than ever. They are still trying. I think I might have an out of balance problem but it seems like there is more going on also... I will post with the results. Wish m eluck... AGAIN!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Racer

I recieved a call a little bit ago, seems like my TL is ready. The manager told me that they have replaced all rims and tires with the tires and wheels off an 05TL. (yes I asked if it was the A-spec, but it is not) So tomorrow I can go and pick it up with some brand new Michelans. The manager said he drove it before and after and there is a noticable improvement. He says the vibration is gone as well as the droning sound from the EL-42's. Its going to be a busy day tomorrow and the TL will get some miles put on it so hopefully I agree with him on the fix. I certainly applaod his (and Acura Carlands) efforts to try to fix the problem.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Please keep me updated, as I have the same issues. It's good to hear that the dealership stepped up and not Acura. I'm sure the dealership authorized the change out and not Acura. Let us now how she drives.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Acura Dealer Technician

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been told by the dealer who has been in contact with their Rep, who has been in contact with American Honda that the vibration now is most likely a subframe problem.
The first time they told me that it was the engine firing pulse felt via the engine and trans mounts. Now it's this.
I just hope they find a fix soon.
Also for the 05 Tl's, some have piliot sports and some have the normal el42's right?. Why?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Check my previous posts. All along I stated my DSR said it was a subframe issue.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Acura Dealer Technician

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTFISH
Check my previous posts. All along I stated my DSR said it was a subframe issue.
I know which makes me mad because I thought Acura would have the same info no matter where someone lives.
Hope I don't look like a fool for relaying Acura's information!
Old 12-08-2004, 03:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lbbrando
I've been told by the dealer who has been in contact with their Rep, who has been in contact with American Honda that the vibration now is most likely a subframe problem.
The first time they told me that it was the engine firing pulse felt via the engine and trans mounts. Now it's this.
I just hope they find a fix soon.
Also for the 05 Tl's, some have piliot sports and some have the normal el42's right?. Why?
I have read several sugestions on what Acura thought the problem was, including some ideas I have posted that my dealership said. There is an underlying problem with the TL, I believe that some tire changes are making the vibration better. I have read several post that say changing to the new EL42 got rid of the problem, but others (including mine) that said the new EL-42 made the vibration worse. I have also read on here that changing to different to a different brand of tire helps and others say it did not. WHat I do know is that the EL 42 are aweful tires. I can not believe that Acura put them on the car. I ma also more suprised they still are. According to some on here that Navi cars have the Michelans and the non Navi still have the EL 42. I cant confirm that but I know every new TL I saw had the Michelans. I am not sure why or how Acura would put two different tires on the TL especially based on the Navi option. But either way I hope the new owners dont have the vibration many of us are experiancing. I will pick my car up today early this afternoon and I will try to let everyone know the results this evening. But again, my results dont necessarily mean that someone elsee will have the same results. FOr me I just hope the Manager is correct and the car is better. Certainly at least the aweful tire noise of the EL-42's will be gone.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Advanced

thegabrielles said:

"There is an underlying problem with the TL, I believe that some tire changes are making the vibration better. I have read several post that say changing to the new EL42 got rid of the problem, but others (including mine) that said the new EL-42 made the vibration worse. I have also read on here that changing to different to a different brand of tire helps and others say it did not."

If this is correct, (till the problem is finally resolved I don't think anything in certain), what happens when you change tires on a car that has had no vibration issues? Will this good car suddenly become bad. If you change the tires @ 40K miles and it starts vibrating like crazy where do you go then?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tommyy2
If this is correct, (till the problem is finally resolved I don't think anything in certain), what happens when you change tires on a car that has had no vibration issues? Will this good car suddenly become bad. If you change the tires @ 40K miles and it starts vibrating like crazy where do you go then?
There are guys onhere that said they did not start experiancing the vibration until they had the car for 5k miles. Who knows what the answer to your question is, the important thing is to get Acura to admit there isa problem and find the fix, then fix the TL's.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Racer

New Michelans

Well after driving my TL this afternoon about 70 miles, I have come to the conclusion that the EL 42 suck!!! The car still has a very slight vibration, but the noise from the tiresa and most of the vibration is gone. I have not settled on tonights driving and will drive it for a few more days before I am convinced it is gone. The nice thing is that when I picked it up and drove it home there was NO Flat spotting. I was still expecting that to be an issue but it seems to be gone. It was 70* here today so maybe that helped, we will see as it gets colder.

I have to say thanks for Acura Carland to keep trying, without a fight by the way, to get the problem resolved. They ended up putting 05 Navi wheels and tires on it and while they were at it they changed the oil, it was at 40% oil life. Also had a brand new wax job on it and the tires were coated with a thick coat of shine. I would consider this a dealership going above and beyond.

I will keep you guys updayed onthe vibration issue.