Sponsored by:

Bad Paint Job From Factory

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 04:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad Paint Job From Factory

Just bought my 05 TL Auto with Nav. Silver w/ebony

Here's my delema. I love the car with the exception of one major item. All four doors are either a slight different color than the rest of the car or at least they have a different hue about them. This is very disapointing to me!

The car looks as if it has been in an accident then repaired. But it has never been wrecked!

Has anyone had this experience or know of it? If so, any suggestions as how to get this problem resolved? The only solution I can think of is to get Acura to replace the car with a new one. I hate the idea of a paint job.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it ahs been less then a week of owener ship hopefully just a day or two bring the car back and tell them you want another one off the lot
Old 03-25-2005, 05:10 PM
10th Gear

Angry

I bought the car on Saturday March 12th. I contacted the dealer about the problem on Tuesday the 15th. Discussed the problem with the dealers General Sales Manager. He said to bring the car in to look at it. I took the car in last Saturday morning the 19th.

They looked at it and said to wait for the Acura Regional Rep to look at it in a couple weeks.

Am I being horn swagled here? Should I demand a new car now?

Also, when I was there Saturday, I looked at two other silver TL's that were in the shop for service. They looked identical to mine. This has to be a factory problem. This is why I would like to know if other people have experienced the same problem.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
You didn't notice this during the prior to taking delivery?
Old 03-25-2005, 05:16 PM
10th Gear

Here's what happened. I saw the car for the first time on Saturday morning. The car had Nine tenths of a mile on it. It had not even been dealer prepped yet.

I drove the car that morning. Well, with all the dirt and crap on it, I could not see this problem then. I came back to pick it up at 7 P.M. that night. It was dark outside and the dealer had it parked up under their roof. By the front door. All kinds of bright lites on it then. The car looked extremly nice. No hint of trouble ahead.

It was until Monday afternoon, two days later that I saw the problem when the sun came out. Even then, I had to do several double takes to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

By Tuesday, I was convinced that their was a problem to address.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
at this point do not drive the car. I would call the dealer and tell them that the arbitration by the regional rep is acceptable however you do not want to put miles on their car and ask them for a loaner till the matter is resolved. You might want to get an independent exam like a body shop to see if the paint is damaged or the car has been resprayed. Be polite write things down and tell them how much you love the car and you want to work things out and that you realize these things happen sometimes.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:47 PM
10th Gear

Thats a good idea! I would hope that they should give me a like car, that is another 05 to use as a loaner.

I really do love the car and don't want my money back. As you can imagine, when you spend $36000 + for a new car, it should not have this type of problem. I really think that all four doors were painted in a different shop, using a different batch of paint.

I'm still interested to know if other owners have had this happen.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Post a photo, because this sounds wrong to me
Old 03-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Instructor

DO NOT DRIVE THAT CAR!!!

Before I bought my 2004 TL, I bought a 2004 Mazda 6 hatchback. The rear left quarter panel and door were repainted. After a LOT of hassles I got a full refund. The only driving you should do is straight to a body shop and ask if they repainted it. Ask your lawyer to write a letter to the dealership if an independent bodyshop confirms that the car has been repainted. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2005, 09:44 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A friend of mine owns a body shop, I stopped by the day I bought it, when he looked at it from across the road, he said wow, not one body panel matches, mind you it was 2004 SSM with ebony, just like yours.

He said due to all the angles on the car, and the peal type paint, any angle differnce ever so slight makes it look a different shade.

He said it will be very difficult for him to repair and repaint one without a customer complaining about the paint matching, and if he ever turned out a car like mine (from the factory) he would have customers rejecting the paint job.

If you saw other cars at the dealership, and they were the same, it sounds like you are seeing what he did.

Welcome to the world of pearl paint and differnt angles / sunlight reflection/refraction.

That said, take it to a good body shop, they will be able to tell if it is repainted, if it isn't, I would not repaint to make it match, as you will get the same thing.