Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad luck/tl-s good handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bad luck/tl-s good handling

so my friend is driving my car home from work because we didnt have a ride and his car sidelined waiting for his new rims because 1 of his old ones was destroyed, thanks LI potholes! anyway, driving on the LIE in the middle lane and there was the base of the construction cones(see picture with circled bottom) NOT THE ENTIRE ORANGE BARREL, ONLY the hard/heavy base, standing up on its side(somehow) in the middle of the lane, we didnt see it till it was almost right infront of us(night time), we swerved and it just clipped the corner of the bumper(going ~65mph). anyway besides the fact of how pissed i was, i was pretty impressed with the handling of it. it handled good , it could of ended worse like the car rolling over but my friend is a good driver(thank you bmw m-driving school ) and he didnt cut the wheel just turned it alittle and the car felt really stable from the passenger side. it looks like only the bumper was damaged. the mirror/headlight/rim/tire/mirror/side body is fine with no damage at all. called my friend at the body shop and he said around 750 for the bumper with painting and install. im thinking about installing it myself, anyone want to help? lol

Old 01-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nows the time to install a CAI. Easy access to get the stock one out.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
well, while you got that exposed like that.. might as well do your AEM v2 air intake mod!
Old 01-01-2009, 06:10 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Haha, he was going to take my V1! Sucks to hear about your misfortune though. F-in LIE man, I hit the tire remanants from a blwon out 18-wheeler tire once in my old Solara. Did about the same ammount of damage. I luckily was able to get the bumper off a junked one.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Pro

Wow. That sucks dude. On the way home from snowboarding Tuesday on the Thruway, a back pack flew out of a truck right in front of me. I also have to say when I swerved to avoid it, I surprised myself with how stable the car was. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:24 PM
2007 Acura TL-S

shouldnt the city be at fault on this one? since they are suppose to have the orange reflectors on it at night so that drivers can see it..? but i could be wrong.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Timeless
Wow. That sucks dude. On the way home from snowboarding Tuesday on the Thruway, a back pack flew out of a truck right in front of me. I also have to say when I swerved to avoid it, I surprised myself with how stable the car was. Good luck getting it fixed.
yep, it was pretty awesome actually, minus the damage lol

Originally Posted by Integra
shouldnt the city be at fault on this one? since they are suppose to have the orange reflectors on it at night so that drivers can see it..? but i could be wrong.
like i said it wasnt the entire thing, look at the pic, it was only the base(the part i circled) i have no idea where it came from, and i have no idea where the rest of it was. im thinking someone hit the big cone and then put the rubber piece in the middle of the road lol
Old 01-01-2009, 06:46 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
So were your fog light damaged too b/c on the pic there missing?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:47 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The LIE is a state road, run by th NYS Department of Transportation. As per my father who happens to be sitting next me and retired from NYSDOT after 35 years. He tells me that it's either the NYSDOT or more likely a contractor doing the work. It is the responsibility of the contractor to ensure that the area is clear during non-construction times. They contractors have insurance in the event that they cause damage to private property in this instance, so if you can go back to the area, and find out who the contractor is (check out the side of the equipment, it might be written on there) and you can prove what happened (police report would have probably been a good idea at the time), then their insurance could possibly pay for it.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acura_dipset_tl
So were your fog light damaged too b/c on the pic there missing?
oops, yes it was. forgot to mention that.

Originally Posted by mglax13
The LIE is a state road, run by th NYS Department of Transportation. As per my father who happens to be sitting next me and retired from NYSDOT after 35 years. He tells me that it's either the NYSDOT or more likely a contractor doing the work. It is the responsibility of the contractor to ensure that the area is clear during non-construction times. They contractors have insurance in the event that they cause damage to private property in this instance, so if you can go back to the area, and find out who the contractor is (check out the side of the equipment, it might be written on there) and you can prove what happened (police report would have probably been a good idea at the time), then their insurance could possibly pay for it.
i thought about it. but i decided to not even bother. because about a year and a half ago in my old car i hit i shopping cart that was in the middle of the left lane on sunrise highway right infront of toys r us. i called the cops then and they said they dont do a police report unless it involves major damage. i complained to walbaums(their shopping cart) and nothing ever came of it because they denied it was theirs and there was no proof.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:47 PM
hates the winter

Originally Posted by Integra
I work in construction. The "base" that you hit can and will cause a lot of damage. They are cut up truck tires. VERY strong and quite heavy. As for the reflectors/lights, those are only required on the first 2 barrels that start the lane closure.

I'm sure what happened was the wind, snow plow, or truck hit the barrel or knocked the tire up and into the roadway. I don't think the contractor will pay for it. Find a barrel and on the bottom in black or white will be the name, or initials of the company.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
I work in construction. The "base" that you hit can and will cause a lot of damage. They are cut up truck tires. VERY strong and quite heavy. As for the reflectors/lights, those are only required on the first 2 barrels that start the lane closure.

I'm sure what happened was the wind, snow plow, or truck hit the barrel or knocked the tire up and into the roadway. I don't think the contractor will pay for it. Find a barrel and on the bottom in black or white will be the name, or initials of the company.
oh wow i didnt even think it could of been a truck tire. alls i remember is this big(1-2ft tall) circular thing standing up.

but also it happen on the 31st at around 4:30am. they havent been doing road work in that area, and no part of the road was closed.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Racer

why didnt he just run over it? It's rubber. I've seen those in the BQE and its either hit the car next to me (middle lane) or drive right by it. I don't think it can cause damage if you just run over it.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Drifting

it was standing up on its side, not laying flat on the ground. if we hit it straight on it would of ruined the grill, headlight and the airbag could of gone off.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by greco9885
it was standing up on its side, not laying flat on the ground. if we hit it straight on it would of ruined the grill, headlight and the airbag could of gone off.
Ah, I see, that sucks. IMHO, Make sure the new bumper isn't aftermarket!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zigma
Ah, I see, that sucks. IMHO, Make sure the new bumper isn't aftermarket!
its my friends bodyshop, and he always does the right thing by using all oem parts and fluids. i dont abuse it either, i never ask him for a break, or a deal
Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Racer

That's a lot of damage!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
hates the winter

Originally Posted by greco9885
oh wow i didnt even think it could of been a truck tire. alls i remember is this big(1-2ft tall) circular thing standing up.

but also it happen on the 31st at around 4:30am. they havent been doing road work in that area, and no part of the road was closed.

Yeah, it's the outer edge of old tires. Some are cut thicker/thinner than others. Either way they are heavy. They do a great job of holding the barrels down, but they can, and will cause damage if hit while on their side like that. The steel belts are still in the tire. Good luck, hope the car gets fixed soon.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:09 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
dat suks, good thing the car is still 95% good and u aswell