Bad down shift - rev limiter - now engine ticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007 | 07:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by trancemission
I could not agree more with this statement.

The people who lie about this shit are the same kinda people who take the loaners and rag the shit of them. shows no fucking respect.
AMEN!! Thank you for your integrity.
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:25 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by JetJock
Too bad your parents didn't raise you to be honest! I hope you never run a real business when you grow up.
They Raised me quite well, Also, my buisness i currently share with my uncle i run quite well, unlike acura does .
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alex911
Who cares, DealerShip's steal from people everyday, I was there the other day buying some Tranny fluid,(I would never get anything done there because you get bent over), Some poor women in a TL came to get a Oil change and the service manager was talking her into doing bullshit services that werent needed so i helped her out and said "Maam these services are unneeded and there just trying to rip you off. With that said,All dealerships get paid for the warranty work, so if you mis a shift and bend your valves then go say you did it, you either got alot of money or a complete moron.Also, the loaners i had a TSX i ragged the hell outta of it.
You're the same jack ass that does absolutely no service work at the dealership, other then what is covered under warranty, and expect anything out of warranty to be goodwilled. Also the same jack ass that brings the FREE loaner vehicle back, completely empty on gas.
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:30 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Who cares, DealerShip's steal from people everyday, I was there the other day buying some Tranny fluid,(I would never get anything done there because you get bent over), Some poor women in a TL came to get a Oil change and the service manager was talking her into doing bullshit services that werent needed so i helped her out and said "Maam these services are unneeded and there just trying to rip you off. With that said,All dealerships get paid for the warranty work, so if you mis a shift and bend your valves then go say you did it, you either got alot of money or a complete moron.Also, the loaners i had a TSX i ragged the hell outta of it.
so you think you're getting back at Acura by ragging hell out of it?

You shouldnt even be getting a loaner IMO. You act as if Acura owes you something. Not all dealerships are like that. Its people like you that fucking piss me off to no end. Its people like you that ruin it for honest people like me. My dealership would never try to sell me something I dont need, but you they'd see from mile away and you would get everything you deserved because you would act like a fucking idiot...

That lady didnt need you. You probably fucked her even more by doing that. But you made yourself look good I bet.

What were they trying to sell her, blinker fluid? Get a life dude.

You have a business? Im sure you run that well...
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:35 PM
Drifting

They Raised me quite well, Also, my buisness i currently share with my uncle i run quite well, unlike acura does .
Yeah Right!! You probably run a chop shop with your attitude.
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by weeeerd
You're the same jack ass that does absolutely no service work at the dealership, other then what is covered under warranty, and expect anything out of warranty to be goodwilled. Also the same jack ass that brings the FREE loaner vehicle back, completely empty on gas.
I'm glad there are some honest young people on this forum.
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:42 PM
B A N N E D

so you think you're getting back at Acura by ragging hell out of it?

You shouldnt even be getting a loaner IMO. You act as if Acura owes you something. Not all dealerships are like that. Its people like you that fucking piss me off to no end. Its people like you that ruin it for honest people like me. My dealership would never try to sell me something I dont need, but you they'd see from mile away and you would get everything you deserved because you would act like a fucking idiot...

That lady didnt need you. You probably fucked her even more by doing that. But you made yourself look good I bet.

What were they trying to sell her, blinker fluid? Get a life dude.

You have a business? Im sure you run that well...
Ok Keep being honest all the time. I do have a life, Dude seriously how many people on this forum complain in this forum that acura is sinking them into unneeded services, that are due at a much later time, Please, keep on over paying for there BS, I wont and will have extra $$ in my pocket.
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:43 PM
B A N N E D

Yeah Right!! You probably run a chop shop with your attitude.
If you call a High-End jewlery store Chop shop be my guest
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
x2

You don't gain integrity from doing the easy thing, you get integrity from doing the right thing.
x3

Absolutely agree.

Really sorry to hear about your car. Hope things work out for you.

You've definitely have the 2 types at work here, one in red on one shoulder and one in white on the other. In the end, you have to live with the decision you make.
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Ok Keep being honest all the time. I do have a life, Dude seriously how many people on this forum complain in this forum that acura is sinking them into unneeded services, that are due at a much later time, Please, keep on over paying for there BS, I wont and will have extra $$ in my pocket.

whose overpaying? my dealer treats me like gold. they've changed out both front entire wheel hub assemblies. didnt ask any questions. my car is modded to hell. being nice and respectful will get you a long way....

BUT you're an idiot. your posts really show your character. they really show just what kind of person you really are. we have 16 year old members smarter then you on this board.
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:50 PM
B A N N E D

whose overpaying? my dealer treats me like gold. they've changed out both front entire wheel hub assemblies. didnt ask any questions. my car is modded to hell. being nice and respectful will get you a long way....

BUT you're an idiot. your posts really show your character. they really show just what kind of person you really are. we have 16 year old members smarter then you on this board.
Iam nice and respectful, but i will not go to Acura to do services where i can pay less elsewhere you agree?
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Iam nice and respectful, but i will not go to Acura to do services where i can pay less elsewhere you agree?

yes that I agree with. But even though its cheaper whose to say they can be trusted too?
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:55 PM
Drifting

If you call a High-End jewlery store Chop shop be my guest

WOW!! I'm sure you'd never ripp anyone off on a Blood Diamond.
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:56 PM
Safety Car

I actually feel bad for people with your attitude. Maybe once you grow up, you'll understand what's really important.
Old 09-13-2007 | 07:57 PM
B A N N E D

yes that I agree with. But even though its cheaper whose to say they can be trusted too?
Your absolutely right, you choose wisely, whos reputable.
Old 09-13-2007 | 08:04 PM
Safety Car

Man, you are all over the place.

People are flaming you for telling the OP to lie because mega-Corp like Honda is screwing people left and right.

The fact that you won't go to the dealer if it cost more has nothing to do with why people are shitting all over your character.

It's the dealer that is making the decision to screw over the little old lady by giving her a $1000 oil change. The factory doesn't tell them to do this.....
Old 09-13-2007 | 08:06 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Your absolutely right, you choose wisely, whos reputable.

Now dont get me wrong here Alex. If the dealer fucks you Im not saying you should just stand there and take it.

My point is there are more mature ways at getting them back then raggin a loaner.

Its just bad form, as is lying to the dealer about something that is really your fault..
Old 09-13-2007 | 08:15 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Yes you may pay less at an aftermarket shop, but do they actually know what kind of oil, how much oil to exactly put into the motor, replace the crush washer, get a quality oil filter. Ive seen alot of f'ups from aftermarket shops by working at a honda dealership, they work on all different kinda of vehicles and may not know how to do things correctly or even put on quality parts. Atleast if you go to the acura dealership you will get quality parts and the dealership will pay for their f'ups if any, as in aftermarket shops may or may not! The best way to save money is to buy acura parts and learn how to do the maintenance yourself, it will save you some money! As for the OP disconnect the battery for atleast 30 seconds to reset the ecm/pcm and the freeze frame data saved from the misshift will be erased, then take it to the dealership and see what they say, they will obviously guess that you misshifted the vehicle but will not have hard proof if you erase the freeze data, and then go from there! Good luck
Old 09-13-2007 | 08:26 PM
Drifting

It's odd how the age of the people making comments about this issue really show the character of the next generation in our country. I'm ashamed of where our country is going. My grandfather would have repaired the transmission himself before he'd rippoff Acura for his mistake.

Erase the data, lie to Acura, beat the free loaner, bring it back empty, it's the ME Generation at it's best.
Old 09-13-2007 | 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Xx06SickspdTlxX
Ive seen alot of f'ups from aftermarket shops by working at a honda dealership, they work on all different kinda of vehicles and may not know how to do things correctly or even put on quality parts. Atleast if you go to the acura dealership you will get quality parts and the dealership will pay for their f'ups if any, as in aftermarket shops may or may not!
Not in my case...... I first brought in my 03' s for a 60k tune-up and started having CEL/VSA lights coming on. Brought it back and they told me to have my EGR ports cleaned out. Did it but had the same problem.... then they told me to adjust the valves @$600...took it to another shop and they told me my computer's bad(some Vtec management failure code).... took the estimate to acura and the assured me it was a valve adjustment prob. Did it and they told me 2 valves are leaking @ 12% so engine teardown was needed $2k+(80k miles and I already need engine work ).. I was like WTF the other shop told me it was a computer prob.(warrantied) and their sales manager told me he won't do anything unless I do the teardown...I asked them to explain how valve leakage would cause my car not to engage in vtec and they told me they won't know until I have the teardown performed and they can find the prob.. So I'm waitng for client services..............So Acura Of Serramonte!
Old 09-13-2007 | 08:35 PM
B A N N E D

Yes you may pay less at an aftermarket shop, but do they actually know what kind of oil, how much oil to exactly put into the motor, replace the crush washer, get a quality oil filter. Ive seen alot of f'ups from aftermarket shops by working at a honda dealership, they work on all different kinda of vehicles and may not know how to do things correctly or even put on quality parts. Atleast if you go to the acura dealership you will get quality parts and the dealership will pay for their f'ups if any, as in aftermarket shops may or may not! The best way to save money is to buy acura parts and learn how to do the maintenance yourself, it will save you some money! As for the OP disconnect the battery for atleast 30 seconds to reset the ecm/pcm and the freeze frame data saved from the misshift will be erased, then take it to the dealership and see what they say, they will obviously guess that you misshifted the vehicle but will not have hard proof if you erase the freeze data, and then go from there! Good luck
Yeah thats why little stuff i do my self, i go to Honda buy a Oil filter and oil, and do it my self
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:15 PM
Banned

Umm the next generation Will be mostly democratic you can count on that.. Well from what I have seen..

Second of all like the generation that voted for the 2000 and 2004 election was so good? We have a retard as president its great...

Back on topic Soseductivesf call Acura Corp and complain and insist on everything if you soften up they wont do anything..
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

my god kosstick, shut up...thats not back on topic...

this thread is turning into a train wreck, Im guilty as well to let it get to me like it did...

I just cant stand it when people try to cheat their way around things. fuckers cant just own up to it. I hope none of you work on aircraft....
Old 09-13-2007 | 10:26 PM
Safety Car

It's odd how the age of the people making comments about this issue really show the character of the next generation in our country. I'm ashamed of where our country is going. My grandfather would have repaired the transmission himself before he'd rippoff Acura for his mistake.

Erase the data, lie to Acura, beat the free loaner, bring it back empty, it's the ME Generation at it's best.
I hear ya. I've got a 16yr old and we are constantly reminding him to make his decisions based on honesty and integrity.

The OP hasn't responded lately. I wonder what's he's thinking after reading all of these responses.
Old 09-13-2007 | 10:32 PM
There's alot of asian in

why not get a Kia? they are cheap and im pretty sure the dealership service is wayy cheaper than acura.
wait..dont tell me u bought an acura and not know that its expensive to maintain at the dealer?!?!

To the OP: You made the mistake, own up to it. How would you feel if a friend takes ur car out and down shifted wrong and not tell you?

Yep honesty is the policy, unless it wasn't honest to begin with.
Old 09-13-2007 | 10:36 PM
There's alot of asian in

Originally Posted by kosstick

Second of all like the generation that voted for the 2000 and 2004 election was so good? We have a retard as president its great...

off topic: at your age, I'm pretty sure the media has influenced u to see our president as bad. such a shame that you don't go research what is really going behind the scene before judging.
Old 09-13-2007 | 11:23 PM
Advanced

I've never understood that. You can afford a 35k dollar vehicle but cannot afford to maintain it. Dealers look at that. You bring the car just to us for oil changes for 50k miles and have a trans issue at 60, we tell you to bad. You maintain the vehicle with us, doing services and what not.. the same trans issue you had, you now do NOT have to worry about as it it completely covered.

I feel like I'm arguing with a young punk kid.
Old 09-14-2007 | 12:15 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Well.. since everyone else is on a rant..

I'm 23 and I feel that my dealer treats me with respect; they will not give me a loaner due to my age but that is the insurance policy of the dealer, not corporate Acura. They DO pay for my rental from enterprise, it would be easier if I didn't have to go sign a rental contract and give the my credit card, but i'm happy they are willing to take care of me

I have had some issues; minor ones; there was some confusion in regards to getting a balance and alignment, service thought I should pay but the car was like that the night I bought it.. so after a brief talk to the used car manager, it was covered. The used car manager also instructed them to replace all four tires because the other ones were crappy. So I got a balance + alignment + four new wheels, no cost at all to me. I had to bring the car back in to get the same button on my nav unit replaced (burned out); this time when I got it home it still did not work, I changed it myself, and called the next day. The service advisor apologized several times and told me flat out "I don't know what else to say - i'm sorry it's not working but we absolutely did replace it", and I let him know I wasn't too worried about it as the bulbs are $1.50 for 2 at radio shack.

So, my overall experience has been great, and Acura follows up after my service appointments to verify i'm happy.

They naturally of course are going to try and save money where they can; they are after all a business, and you get people who bitch left and right and want this and that for free - so they're going to tell you you're screwed when something isn't under warranty and you caused the problem. If they fixed everyones self caused problem, they would be out of business.

I find it absolutely disturbing that you can have such an attitude Alex, there's absolutely no point at all in "ragging" on a loaner car, all it does is show how immature you are, and that you're a disrespectful little shit (based on the responses you've posted here).

I'm not much older than you, and I would never go into a dealership and confront a person and tell them what they do and do not need. Did you diagnose her car? No. That instantly means you have no fucking clue about what they are recommending she have done to her car.

Acura is not out to screw people over; have you ever owned a german car? Try paying $1300 for a sunroof repair and a replacement accelerometer, see how happy you are then.

Get a Hyundai or Kia , 10 year 100k warranty and the service is cheap. Acura is an upscale brand; thus you pay the premium.

You need to remember you are on a forum with a small percentage of Acura drivers, being enthusiasts we are all (or most of us) capable of changing our own oil and doing things ourselves, and most of us probably went in and demanded we pay below sticker for a brand new car. Some people have no desire to do work on their car, they have no problem paying a set price knowing that the work will be done correctly.

How the hell do you expect the dealership to stay in business? Service and parts. I agree it's not right to fuck someone over and perform un-needed work, but I don't think Acura NA will tolerate a dealership operating in such a manner as they would receive numerous complaints.

If you piss Toyota off enough they will come take the logo and letters off your building (it's all owned by Toyota) and they will pickup all of the new cars off your lot; then you're just a used car dealership.

So, before you go off and act like a dick head again in a loaner, or try to tell someone what he/she needs a dealership, grow the fuck up, and don't encourage people to lie.

To the OP..

Explain to them what happened; worst case is they tell you you're screwed - which you're probably already assuming, best case is they cover it 100% or will put in towards the repair.

Just let them know what happened, sit down with the service manager if possible and let him/her know it was a complete accident and you missed the shift.

Sorry to go off topic and rant... every page of this thread irritated me more and more =p
Old 09-14-2007 | 12:41 AM
Senior Moderator

good response. just like its been stated before in this thread, accept the consequences for your actions. In one of my older cars, I hit the rim and bent a suspension component, I was honest and the dealer covered the labor for the part, I had to pay to 100 dollars for the part. IN your case, You missed the shift, you have to pay to have it repaired. dealer is at no fault here and neither is acura.
Moving on to ragging on rentals, what good does that do? You waste your money on gas (thats if you return it back with the same amount of gas), you ruin a perfectly good car that has done nothing to you and you endanger the lives of others. But if you are the type of person that doesn't refill the gas, I hope your dealership hits you with the 5 dollar per gallon charge for a refill the next time you come in or when they get a hold of a CC number.
If you treat the service place with respect, they treat you with respect. Sure, I got ripped off once before joining the boards here on a B service. But did I rag on the loaner, no, did I complain and bitch at the dealer the next time I went there, no, and I get treated with respect in return. Now whenever I go or call in for an appt, they give me a loaner that I ask for or the best one they have, Hell, I have a 2004 TL and have gotten RL's, TL-S's with 6 miles on them, thats right 6, MDX's and a few others. Also when I use the loaner, the dealership is very courteous about them. They park it for me and bring it to me while I sign the paperwork and if in the event I over fill the gas (ex. 1/2 tank got it, 3/4 returned), they will give me money back for the gas at the rate I paid.

this is my
Old 09-14-2007 | 04:03 AM
Racer

Yes Engine speed is stored in the computer and when the Acura Tech hooks the HDS to the car , which they will any damage caused by overreving probably wont be covered under warranty. A few months back, the shop foreman had an 04 TSX in that had jumped time and was running terribly, and it was determined with the HDS that the guy's engine was in excess of 7000 rpm when it jumped time. Wasnt cheap for the guy to fix his car. Good luck and I hope everything works out in your favor.
Old 09-14-2007 | 09:03 AM
Secret Agent

I would like to add to what a lot of us have already figured out. Some of us will hopefully get there eventually, Alex.

Here is an example of the kind of service I receive when I go to the dealership. If you don't want to read the whole thing at least look at the summary at the bottom where it describes what they did and what they charged me.

Service experience

Do you think I would have been treated this way if I went in there acting like a complete tool?

So, Alex. Are you beginning to see a pattern here? Or are you getting even more pissed off now. If you are then it's because you know your being a douche bag.
Old 09-14-2007 | 10:50 AM
LiQuiDFleX81

i'm just a little confused here, reading these posts about people misshifting, not going into the right gear,,, i just don't get it,,, i've had my 6MT for 3 months now,, and i have never missed a gear,, maybe my cars different? Mine actually wants to go into the next gear in sequence depending on if i want to upshift or downshift. Occasionally i will go from 5 to 3 but never 1,, that's just impossible almost,, there is a lock out if your above a certain mph or rpm, same goes for reverse. This is my first stick car,, maybe i just drive the car like it should be driven and this is why i have no problems with my 04 with 69,000miles....
Old 09-14-2007 | 10:52 AM
LiQuiDFleX81

Originally Posted by sifuacura
off topic: at your age, I'm pretty sure the media has influenced u to see our president as bad. such a shame that you don't go research what is really going behind the scene before judging.

hahah biased much dude? you live in Texas,,, where is Bush from? hmmmmmmm nuff said'
Old 09-14-2007 | 11:08 AM
Racer

This turned into a really retarded thread. What's the status of the OPs problem? I'm curious to see how he approached it with the dealer and how they addressed.

It's interesting that similar problems like this were covered under warranty. Lies or no lies, they're going to know how it happened.

Any updates?
Old 09-14-2007 | 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KN_TL
I hear ya. I've got a 16yr old and we are constantly reminding him to make his decisions based on honesty and integrity.

The OP hasn't responded lately. I wonder what's he's thinking after reading all of these responses.
I finally figured out what OP means!! Here's the update. I will be going to the dealership on Tuesday and I will be telling him exactly what happened. There is only one way to live life...honestly. IT was an honest mistake. If they won't fix it, I'll probably dump it. It's gonna kill me but what can I do. It was my first brand new car, but I've got two kids and my wife's a teacher so there's no incredible income here. Pretty much paycheck to paychek.

For all the OT rants, I am really disappointed in the degradation of our society. I am 30 years old and can't believe the amount of lying, stealing, dishonesty, etc. I fear for my young children on a daily basis. Only those that have children can honestly understand. For those of you that don't, your lives will change when you do!

For the democratic OT dicussions, IMO you are sorely misinformed. I didn't care much until I started working as a manager in construction and my wife started teaching. IMO, the government cannot run anything efficiently or effectively. So minimize what they do. Building departments and schools are full of people just wanting to work their hours, collect a paycheck and get a pension. The competitive advantages are all out the window.

As society degrades, more an more people take advantage. There is no integtrity out here. The more the govt. provides, the more people will take advantage. Kill all the programs and give short term help to people with catstrophic cases. Food stamps and 22" rims should not go hand-in-hand. Get rid of the IRS and the tax system. Change to fairtax.org Add 22% tax to the sales tax and no income tax. Tax the illegals, the tourists and the big spenders. I am tired of paying for those that chose not to work at McDonalds, chose not to wear a condem, etc.

So, what I learned from the board was that the valves are bent and the computer knows all. I can't believe the thread turned to all this when it could have been answered in 2 or 3 posts.

Thanks for the technical help. This board is a wealth of knowledge. When I learn something as I did in the past, I donate. Somewon/something should benefit when I benefit.
Old 09-14-2007 | 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

I apologize henoblah, I am the one of the guilty who joined in and let it get this way. Do not base your opinion of AcuraZine on this one thread. But get used to the dishonesty. Sometimes its just hard for me to sit there and read some of these posts without getting my thoughts in.

Its either post or go to my angry dome....

I hope thats its not as bad as we all think. Good luck my friend.
Old 09-14-2007 | 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Atleast if you go to the acura dealership you will get quality parts and the dealership will pay for their f'ups if any, as in aftermarket shops may or may not!
Case in point: Our '91 corolla. We had to get an oil change in the dead of winter so for the first time, my dad has someone else do it (Firestone). They put in a little over 5 quarts of oil in a 4 cylinder car. When oil was spewing (well, not really, but it was dripping out) out from between the valve cover and block, we let Firestone know, and they respond back "you should have told us that it cant hold 5 quarts" Independent shops can (keyword) be full of dumbasses. But with Acura, there are less chances for them to give stupid excuses like the aforementioned.
Old 09-14-2007 | 03:48 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Yeah.. sorry for going off topic

I learned something to though, apparently at night i'm a total jackass, cause I sounded kinda mean
Old 09-14-2007 | 03:52 PM
Safety Car

henoblah, here's hoping for the best outcome and it's nice to see people with integrity on this board.

Like Trance said, you're gonna run into a lot of personalities here and it's really hard for some of us (ME) to bite our tongues.

Please let us know what happens in the end.
Old 09-14-2007 | 05:50 PM
Instructor

This may be off point and off topic-correct me if I'm wrong-dropping to third at 80 mph should not breach the rev limiter as you can do 90 in third.

Quick Reply: Bad down shift - rev limiter - now engine ticking