Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B service inspections and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B service inspections and warranty

I have done research through the search function, the Acura owners link, and the owners manual but couldn't find the answer to one question:
- Do we need to follow the B service "inspection" items in order to not void the car's warranty?
The B service consists of an oil change, tire rotation, and a bunch of inspections. The inspections are the basis for the dealerships high maintenance prices. So if they have no bearing on the warranty, I'd of course rather ask for exactly an oil change and tire rotation when the "B" service comes up on the MID. That's what many of the existing threads on maintenance already advise.

Note the warranty document states: "The time and mileage intervals given in this Schedule for inspections and replacements should never be exceeded.....parts that fail because they did not get proper, timely maintenance are not covered by warranty". So the "inspection" part made me wonder.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
The service dep't will have to show that an inspection that wasn't done would have caught whatever part failed before warranty can be voided. Presumably you're not driving around with all kinds of parts loose and about to fall off, but things (bolts) can loosen up after operating a car for several thousand miles after manufacture, or some things may not have been as tight as they could have been during assembly. You should therefore have the inspections done if you aren't doing them yourself. Cheap peace of mind for a $30K+ item, IMO.
Suggestions:
1) Find an independent Acura/Honda mechanic who does the "B" inspections along with oil change and tire rotation. Mine charged less than $70.
2) Otherwise, the dealer will charge you for the inspections, but you might find a cheaper service dept or use coupons. Santa Monica Acura quoted me $145 before I looked at the manual and then went to my independent.
3) If you use the dealer, tell the service department "no" on anything that is not on the "B" service list- various fluid flushes, valve lash inspections, supercharger filters (I'm making that up-- but so will some unscrupulous service advisors), etc.