Sponsored by:

AWD G35 or 04 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD G35 or 04 TL?

Power is similiar 260/270
AWD is very nice addition to G35 during the snow and turn.
04 tl's Interior is much better than G35's cheap silver interior.

Old 10-22-2003, 12:01 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Interior and front end look is what turned me off in the G35. I would have liked AWD in the TL, but that was not in the Acura cards. Also did not like size, shape, coupe much nicer, but still hate the headlights.

The G35 is not a true AWD system, more like only when needed, correct?

Have you seen the new 2005 Legacy, photos in major mags are hot, plus pricing in the 27K range. Just a thought if you can wait.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by need4spd
Interior and front end look is what turned me off in the G35. I would have liked AWD in the TL, but that was not in the Acura cards. Also did not like size, shape, coupe much nicer, but still hate the headlights.

The G35 is not a true AWD system, more like only when needed, correct?

Have you seen the new 2005 Legacy, photos in major mags are hot, plus pricing in the 27K range. Just a thought if you can wait.
I believe the AWD in the G35 is 50/50 or 33/66 user selectable split.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was also debating between the AWD G35 and the 04 TL and I ended up choosing the TL. The reason for this is because the interior of the TL looks a lot better than the interior of the G35...Also, the exterior of the G35 is a bit weird. It seems like the guy who made the front of the car was not the same guy who made the back of the car. The front looks a little classy and elegant but the back just makes you wonder that "what the heck was that guy thinking of creating something so ugly"....Yes the AWD function is very good, but then again, ask yourself this, HOW OFTEN WILL YOU ACTUALLY USE THAT FEATURE? Ya it's good in the snow and in the rain...then ask yourself how often does it rain and snow in a year...and if so, would your car be able to get out in the snow? what about your neighbors car? i mean if the snow is really high, doesn't matter what car you have, you aren't going to get out of your house...so if you realistically think about it, there are only a FEW DAYS (let's just say 25 days) where the AWD feature would come in hand...this is just in my opinion...I looked at it from this point of view...Are you planning on driving rough where you are bound to lose control of the car? If so then the AWD seems more practical for you...but personally, I would only go crazy with the car ONCE IN A WHILE because I don't want to create more problems with the car if something goes wrong when I am in the mood to make fast sharp turns and stay near the curb on a turn or something where AWD would be useful...Overall, I think the TL is a MUCH better car and I would choose that one (I did choose that one...SSM / Ebony / Navi / Body Kit / Back up Sensor)...I should be getting it in two weeks and I know that I made the right decision because both the times when I went to test drive it, it felt a LOT SMOOTHER than the G35...
Old 10-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Instructor

I agree TL is a better car overall. I too drove the G35 (without AWD) awhile back. Didn't care too much for interior and rear end. Definitely more engine and road noice in the G35 than the TL. Acura's engine is probably as smooth and quite as any near luxury car out there.

G35 however did have a firmer feel in terms of handling. TL a bit too soft. I wish the handling felt alittle stiffer at higher speeds (oh well)

But overall, I'll choose the TL over G35 anyday (but if I was willing to opt for the coupe, it may have been a different story...maybe???)
Old 10-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Instructor

To me, the G35 ias actually ruined by the fisher price interior. It honestly doesn't matter how well it drives, the part of the car I see while I'm driving is really important to me.

Its too bad, Infiniti has one hell of a car, I'm astounded that they let that interior into their showroom.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Instructor

My main concern is the safety.. Yes, it may be only 25 + snowing day in East Coast, but If you skid once, and AWD save your life, I think that is worth the cost of the car.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
As a family man with a budget, price is definitely a consideration. If buying right now, better deals can be had on a G (I'd rather have a G than Accord/TSX). But in 8 months (my timeframe), if deals on the TL can bring it in close proximity to a G, the TL is the only way to go. Just my .02 as a happy 2k TL owner.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Advanced

Run the tutorial on the Infiniti site - the AWD is variable as needed so you still have RWD performance under good conditions. I don't think it is "driver selectable" nor is "not true AWD" a good description - the system sounds awesome. That said, all the other critiques about the interior and tail end were true for me as well. The car seemed "immature" - racy but not luxurious enough for the price.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want AWD TL!
Old 10-22-2003, 05:26 PM
Instructor

I bet the new TL will have AWD, maybe in 2005 or 2006 as an option. I've heard from my Acura salesman that the 2005 RL will have AWD with a Hybrid engine - Gas and Electric (Power + Efficiency) with crazy hp and gas mileage. I guess I have to wait and see in late 2004. I may have to trade in my 2004 TL. Damn!!!
Old 10-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Team SSM

HOW OFTEN WILL YOU ACTUALLY USE THAT FEATURE? Ya it's good in the snow and in the rain...then ask yourself how often does it rain and snow in a year...and if so, would your car be able to get out in the snow? what about your neighbors car? i mean if the snow is really high, doesn't matter what car you have, you aren't going to get out of your house...so if you realistically think about it, there are only a FEW DAYS (let's just say 25 days) where the AWD feature would come in hand...this is just in my opinion...I looked at it from this point of view...Are you planning on driving rough where you are bound to lose control of the car? If so then the AWD seems more practical for you...but personally, I would only go crazy with the car ONCE IN A WHILE because I don't want to create more problems with the car if something goes wrong when I am in the mood to make fast sharp turns and stay near the curb on a turn or something where AWD would be useful...
not everywhere in the world has the same amount of snow. I actually get about 3-4 months of snow. The only cars I can look at is either AWD or FWD, I wish I could get RWD. Im still debating whether to get the G35 AWD or TL, im leaning towards the TL only because of the Interior.But I love the AWD option and the Exterior colors of the G35, but the interior is crap.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:08 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by helloha
My main concern is the safety.. Yes, it may be only 25 + snowing day in East Coast, but If you skid once, and AWD save your life, I think that is worth the cost of the car.
AWD doesn't stop you from skidding. The only thing you get with AWD is better traction on slippery surfaces under acceleration. AWD doesn't prevent skids or improve braking in any way. To stop the car from skidding and save your life, you want 4 channel ABS with vehicle stability control. That's the kind of thing that can save your life in a skid.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by hatchback
AWD doesn't stop you from skidding. The only thing you get with AWD is better traction on slippery surfaces under acceleration. AWD doesn't prevent skids or improve braking in any way. To stop the car from skidding and save your life, you want 4 channel ABS with vehicle stability control. That's the kind of thing that can save your life in a skid.
Not 100% true. Of course an awd car does not stop any better and perhaps a little worse than 2wd because of the weight of the awd system. However, it does help prevent skids-a driven wheel has more traction/adhesion than a freely rolling wheel.