Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto or Manual?

I've decided to try to trade in my RDX for a third gen TL, because the RDX has been a big disappointment in most respects.

I'm targetting an '06 - but I'm on the fence whether to go auto or manual.

I've always owned manual cars in the past up to the RDX, but I'm not sure whether the 6spd in the TL is engaging enough to put up with the downsides of stop and go commuting, plus the fact my wife can't drive it (which in some ways, is a plus , but it could be a bit limiting at times). I've read several reviews saying that the clutch is a bit heavy and abrupt.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some owners' thoughts. Are there any of you who went manual, and wished they went auto, or vice versa, specifically for the TL?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:08 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Im auto and wish i could drive a manual. Automatic is boring. A 6spd is a lot of fun i bet. GO for the MT
Old 08-16-2008, 02:09 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I doubt anybody is going to choose automatic over manual
Old 08-16-2008, 02:29 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazing GT
I doubt anybody is going to choose automatic over manual
Not so fast. This debate rages at least once a year. There is no correct answer. Some love shifting (me) and others feel that shifting is contrary to luxury.

I have the 6MT and I've always driven an MT vehicle. BUT, if my drive was stop and go every day, every week, then I might feel differently about an MT as a daily driver. Obviously it's a personal choice. All I'm saying is that there are times where an MT is lots more work than fun. Bumper to bumper traffic is one of those times. Luckily for me those times are <<1% since my commute typically runs at 70MPH. If your traffic is the kind that moves along and you can let it idle along in 1st or 2nd then your good to go. Slower and your up for lots of clutching.

My wife can't drive MT either but she doesn't want to drive it anyway.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:38 PM
iScrape going into

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I could I would of gotten manual. But I have a knee/leg problem so I couldn't. But manual has to be definately 1000 times funner than automatic sometimes.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Banned

Lots of traffic to deal with go with auto. If your not stuck in the commute than mt is the only way to go. The difference is like night and day
Old 08-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Not so fast. This debate rages at least once a year. There is no correct answer. Some love shifting (me) and others feel that shifting is contrary to luxury.

I have the 6MT and I've always driven an MT vehicle. BUT, if my drive was stop and go every day, every week, then I might feel differently about an MT as a daily driver. Obviously it's a personal choice. All I'm saying is that there are times where an MT is lots more work than fun. Bumper to bumper traffic is one of those times. Luckily for me those times are <<1% since my commute typically runs at 70MPH. If your traffic is the kind that moves along and you can let it idle along in 1st or 2nd then your good to go. Slower and your up for lots of clutching.

My wife can't drive MT either but she doesn't want to drive it anyway.

if u r wife can't drive MT then just get automatic..simple answer
Old 08-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

"I've read several reviews saying that the clutch is a bit heavy and abrupt. "

I have a '04 TL that has the lightest clutch I have ever driven, it is like butter. I came out of a '91 Legend LS 5-speed that was much heavier.

The gearbox is very smooth as well.

Just my .02
Old 08-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
The 6MT also has the Brembro's up front, which is also worth factoring in.

As far as gearbox performance, the GM syncomesh friction modified fluid swap also helps.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:34 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Manual...FTW!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:04 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Manual Ftmfw!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:25 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
the 6mt will definitely wake you up when you drive it. the difference is like night and day. ve driven both. the 6mt base is faster than the type s auto....hows that for a comparison?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:29 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
the 6mt will definitely wake you up when you drive it. the difference is like night and day. ve driven both. the 6mt base is faster than the type s auto....hows that for a comparison?
i wouldnt go THAT far.......

but 6MT is fun
Old 08-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishbulb
I've decided to try to trade in my RDX for a third gen TL, because the RDX has been a big disappointment in most respects.

I'm targetting an '06 - but I'm on the fence whether to go auto or manual.

I've always owned manual cars in the past up to the RDX, but I'm not sure whether the 6spd in the TL is engaging enough to put up with the downsides of stop and go commuting, plus the fact my wife can't drive it (which in some ways, is a plus , but it could be a bit limiting at times). I've read several reviews saying that the clutch is a bit heavy and abrupt.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some owners' thoughts. Are there any of you who went manual, and wished they went auto, or vice versa, specifically for the TL?

I have an 07 tl-s and i kick myself everyday for not buying the manual tranny ... i have learned to live with it getting my fun out of my bike ... but if i could do it again i would go for the manual
Old 08-16-2008, 09:12 PM
DuDeChEwY

mt.....i regret gettin my auto
Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I have one of each: an '04 manual and an '05 automatic (which the wife drives though she is an excellent manual driver).

The manual makes the TL a more enjoyable car and moves it into a different realm. The stock shifter looks like it belongs in the car and has pretty short throws. The clutch pedal is light, but if the clutch itself is in good condition, expect the pedal to have a short takeup (you'll get used to it).

Essentially, the manual does this car justice and makes it all together a different animal. If you are a fence sitter, then perhaps a manual is not for you, regardless of the car. But if you're like me then you would never even consider a car that didn't have a manual for your own personal driving machine. This one's a good one.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Auto for me. M-F stop and go traffic in rush hour.. would love to have gotten a manual.. but, then I realized how much of a pain it'd be for a daily driver..

Oh well, maybe next time... after a re-location. ha.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
i wouldnt go THAT far.......

but 6MT is fun
Driver skill being equal, the Base 6MT really is quicker. No bone stock Type-S 5AT has run 14.2-14.3 @ 98-99mph. In normal every day driving though, I would bet the Type-S 5AT feels stronger.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:18 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
The TL is a great luxury car. For those who want a more sport luxury car chose the manual. With the rims, konis, cai, etc. The manual makes the car a fun car to drive. There is nothing like 3rd gear to pass a slow car at 45-60 mph. The car is a whole different animal with it. It's been a trouble free transmission as well.

If you plan to buy used, get the car inspected by a dealer and make sure the clutch is good. I have heard the clutch cost around 2k to have it replaced.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered my TL with AT and then I test drove the manual and was sold on it 1 mile down the road. I took the showroom car I test drove with manual and never looked backed. Love it! I drive 35 miles oneway in rush hour traffic and I have no complaints.

I also have been able to get 35 mpg with my manual on a 200 mile trip and have been able to get 37 mpg on some short hauls.

The clutch is still excellent and I just crossed 100k miles.

I say MT if you ahve a choice but test drive it to know for sure.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:39 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've owned a bunch of autos and manuals. Every high hp performance car I've ever owned has been a manual and I'd never compromise on that. However, after about 3 years ago I decided that I'll never own another manual daily driver. With the type of commuting I do, around the town driving and the traffic I have to deal with occasionally it is simply not worth it to get a MT DD. So for me it was an easy choice, an AT was an absolute must for me.

I don't see the TL as a performance car whatsoever, so again an MT wasn't a consideration for me. I can't speak for the standard TL, but the TL-S has an amazing auto tranny and it's actually pretty fun to drive if you kick it into SS mode.

So, just analyze what kind of driving you do and make a choice from there. The fact that your wife can't drive it could be a blessing and a curse; if you guys got stuck in a situation where she had to drive your car and couldn't, it could be a big problem.

Just my
Old 08-17-2008, 10:56 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Everyone learned how to drive stick at one point in time or another. This car is very easy to learn on. Teach the wife how to drive strick and that problem is solved. She will love you even more.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet
I ordered my TL with AT and then I test drove the manual and was sold on it 1 mile down the road. I took the showroom car I test drove with manual and never looked backed. Love it! I drive 35 miles oneway in rush hour traffic and I have no complaints.

I also have been able to get 35 mpg with my manual on a 200 mile trip and have been able to get 37 mpg on some short hauls.

The clutch is still excellent and I just crossed 100k miles.

I say MT if you ahve a choice but test drive it to know for sure.
I have long help the belief that those who use the excuse of driving in rush hour traffic is the reason they wouldn't consider a manual are really looking for what they believe is a strong and valid reason to substantiate their decision. Mind you, I am not giving anyone a hard time about this because it really IS their decision to take. And I'm quite sure that to them this is all the reason they need which again, is fine.

I have driven in heavy traffic with both automatics and manuals (I have only owned one automatic in my life that was my personal machine), and when driving a manual in such situations, it has never crossed me mind that I wished I had an automatic. For me it's really pretty simple. Driving a car with a manual transmission is just the natural thing to do. It's as natural as pressing the throttle or even starting the engine. I just can't imagine NOT doing it.

To me, a car with an automatic is just transportation.. it's not a driving machine. I work in a profession that has its moments of high stress and long hours (I'm a software engineer). When I leave work I look forward to two sanctuaries: the drive home in my car, and my home. Both of these endeavors help me unwind and relax and put a day's work behind me. I don't want "transportation"; I want the joy of operating a driving machine.

But that's me and my approach to this whole issue of manuals versus automatics. Those who favor an automatic have their reasons and for them, they are perfectly valid and good.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Man of God.....

Cool I am stuck on a stick!!!

6mt is the only way to go! I hate the stop and go traffic thing, but there is no question I would get a stick with SH-AWD ya...... 3.7L is OK also....
Old 08-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I commute in DC-area traffic and I've always owned manual-transmission cars ever since I was 16 years old. Dealing with it in traffic doesn't bother me at all; I have a harder time regulating an automatic on the rare occasions when I drive one (I always inadvertently kick it down, and then I drive like a pussy trying to prevent that from happening again) than I do dealing with a manual in traffic.

I think it's just a case of what you're used to and what you enjoy.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I commute in DC-area traffic and I've always owned manual-transmission cars ever since I was 16 years old. Dealing with it in traffic doesn't bother me at all; I have a harder time regulating an automatic on the rare occasions when I drive one (I always inadvertently kick it down, and then I drive like a pussy trying to prevent that from happening again) than I do dealing with a manual in traffic.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37
I have an 07 tl-s and i kick myself everyday for not buying the manual tranny ... i have learned to live with it getting my fun out of my bike ... but if i could do it again i would go for the manual
you and me both. im still thinking about trading my NBP Type S (2008) in for a manual. but i dont know if its worth 4-5000 dollars just to change transmissions.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Get the manual transmission.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
Drive both transmission types and decide whether you prefer the auto or the manual in the TL.
Some cars have manuals that are not particularly smooth or effortless (G35- heavy clutch, 335i- high clutch release and shifter feel) so that their autos are preferable, while other cars have wonderful manuals, but auto trannies that dull the feel of the car (TSX, RX-8).
Originally Posted by 1995hoo

I drove a manual tranny Integra for over a decade around Los Angeles and never felt it took too much effort, even in rush-hour traffic.
I was going to get a 6M TSX when my wife requested an auto tranny, which is how I ended up with the 5A TL. Surprisingly, I don't miss the manual, but have been looking at possible TL replacements in both auto and manual (wife doesn't drive my daily driver much anyway).
Old 08-17-2008, 09:24 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I own a 6MT and have driven in Atlanta rush hour for 2 years with no problems before I had moved closer to work. I just make sure I leave enough space between me and the car ahead so that I don't have to keep pressing the brakes or sit idle for a long time.

Regarding which transmission choice to pick, get whichever one will bring a bigger smile to you.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:58 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I drove the type s manual and auto

To me the stick didn't feel right tomuch torque steer

It's a sporty luxury car not a sports car so I would go auto

If u get an s2000 stick all the way u can't even get auto

Boxstsr. Stick screw the tiptronic

Auto
Old 08-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

I've driven both in the 05 and 07 TL's...and MT is definitely the way to go...Teach the wife how to drive a MT and let her enjoy the drive as well. The clutch in the TL is a very light and smooth clutch, it is very easy to teach someone to drive with. Torque steer is an issue, but unless you are pushing the car in every turn or out of every turn, you will rarely notice it. I am very satisfied with my decision to get a 6MT...oh, and definitely have the clutch checked if you are buying used, I thought the clutch felt good in mine and after a couple months driving I found out that I needed a $2300 clutch... Just my .02