Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto close feature

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto close feature

is there any?? is there any way to get the car to close up the sunroof (and windows) when the key comes out ???
Old 09-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cvajs
is there any?? is there any way to get the car to close up the sunroof (and windows) when the key comes out ???
If I understand your question correctly, I don't know of any car manufacturer that would have an option to automatically close all windows and sunroof when you remove your key from the ignition. You can set the doors to unlock when you turn off the car, but the problem with the windows is that a kid, dog, or adult could have an important body part hanging out. People don't like when body parts get cut off.

The only way to close all the windows/sunroof is to put the key in the driver's door and manually turn towards the lock direction twice.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:07 PM
Racer

The dangers of automatically closing sunroofs are illustrated by a European commercial I saw:

DO NOT VIEW THIS IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED, LOVE CATS, ARE AN ANIMAL CRUELTY NUT OR DO NOT HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!!
I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO FLAME ME FOR EMOTIONAL HARM OR GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP POINTS (you can give me positive ones if you want)!!!!

These commercials are funny as heck.

European Ford SportKa

Another SportKa commercial not related to sunroofs

These commercials were developed by an ad agency working for Ford but were never approved for public viewing but got leaked onto the internet and are now famous.

Details on Ford's official stance on the commercials
Old 09-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Audi's can close all windows and Sun Roof via the remote if reprogrammed. I did it on my S4.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 04RedParchTL
Audi's can close all windows and Sun Roof via the remote if reprogrammed. I did it on my S4.

Pretty cool. How did you re-program the remote?
Old 09-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Brokedoc
The dangers of automatically closing sunroofs are illustrated by a European commercial I saw:

DO NOT VIEW THIS IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED, LOVE CATS, ARE AN ANIMAL CRUELTY NUT OR DO NOT HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!!
I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO FLAME ME FOR EMOTIONAL HARM OR GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP POINTS (you can give me positive ones if you want)!!!!

European Ford SportKa

These commercials were developed by an ad agency working for Ford but were never approved for public viewing but got leaked onto the internet and are now famous.

Man, it's terrible, but very true. Although I read your warning, I still feel... 2nd one is milder...

But, it's very real...
Old 09-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Team Anthracite Member

European Ford SportKa

Okay, I find it a little disturbing that someone actually thought that first one would sell cars. I'm kinda curious what demographic they were targetting with it.

That second one is freakin' hilarious though.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Racer

I would love to have a button inside the car that opened/closed everything (sunroof and all windows) with one push. I would actually use that quite a bit. Plus, I gotta think that since they have windows that stop closing when they hit something, that they could do the same in this case.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:24 AM
Banned

If I understand your question correctly, I don't know of any car manufacturer that would have an option to automatically close all windows and sunroof when you remove your key from the ignition. You can set the doors to unlock when you turn off the car, but the problem with the windows is that a kid, dog, or adult could have an important body part hanging out. People don't like when body parts get cut off.

The only way to close all the windows/sunroof is to put the key in the driver's door and manually turn towards the lock direction twice.
91' galant has a auto-close sunroof. this is year 2004...
Old 09-24-2004, 06:53 AM
Racer

If you read my response carefully, I specifically mentioned that there is no default auto-close feature when you remove the ignition key. If you intended a different question, you might have worded your post differently.

Any auto-close functionality that manufacturers such as Audi and Acura have used have always been USER-INITIATED. You need to push a button on the remote or turn a key somewhere. This way, the driver can control the moment that the windows are closed instead of a default where the windows close each time the driver's key is removed. This way, the driver is involved in the window closing process and has some responsibility in making sure there are no wayward body limbs (or kitty parts).
Old 09-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=Brokedoc]The dangers of automatically closing sunroofs are illustrated by a European commercial I saw:

I am repulsed, while rolling on the floor laughing. What a sick world we live in!
Old 09-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still think a close-everything feature should be on the TL's FOB to match the open-everything feature. For the legally paranoid and those with kids/dogs, there could be a setting on the MID that defaults to "close-everything inactive." Those of us who want it could activate it. You'd still have to push and hold the button, and the car still has the auto-reverse safety feature in case anything got in the path of a closing window or sunroof.

Incidentally, just for fun, it's worth pointing out that neither the sunroof nor the windows have enough power to slice a cat's head off as depicted. It's true that without auto-reverse a window or sunroof could do serious crushing damage to a head or limb, human or otherwise. But decapitation requires a great deal more force than that. You also know the video is faked because there would have been blood and guts spurting out, Monty-Python style. It IS funny but not a smart way to try to sell a car.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dvus555
I am repulsed, while rolling on the floor laughing. What a sick world we live in!
Yea....Human nature is to be attracted to repulsive things - That's why threads on TL accidents get so many hits.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
None of the TLs windows or the sunroof will close if anything gets in the way. If they meet a certain resistance, they open back up -- similar to your garage door opener.

Duh?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EmuMessenger
Pretty cool. How did you re-program the remote?
I reprogrammed it using an ODB II connector and software for Audi/VW on my Palm Pilot. On the AudiWorld site the codes are listed for different options.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 04RedParchTL
I reprogrammed it using an ODB II connector and software for Audi/VW on my Palm Pilot. On the AudiWorld site the codes are listed for different options.

can you post more info about the software
Old 09-25-2004, 01:16 AM
Advanced

The software is only for Audi/VW and runs on the Palm. I am sure there is other software for other cars. Here is the url: http://www.shadetreesoftware.com/

Here is an article on coding the Control Module for the Audi S4: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec33.shtml
Old 09-25-2004, 02:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cparris
Okay, I find it a little disturbing that someone actually thought that first one would sell cars. I'm kinda curious what demographic they were targetting with it.

That second one is freakin' hilarious though.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jdb8805
None of the TLs windows or the sunroof will close if anything gets in the way. If they meet a certain resistance, they open back up -- similar to your garage door opener.

Duh?
Really? cuz i tested that feature on my drivers side window hitting the switch to go up on auto. and pressed my hand on the window as it went up but it just kept going. but i remember like the 2nd day i got my car, my window just went down after i knew i hit the auto up switch.. dunno how that happened but i must have bumped my elbow on the window. think i should take it to the dealer?