Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Argh, Just shut up and give me my car!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 09:47 AM
Team Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Argh, Just shut up and give me my car!

I went and signed the paperwork for my car last night at Acura of Bellevue. Up to this point my experience was sweet & sour at the dealer; sour with the first salesman, and sweet with the next. The problem is they were firm on MSRP for 6mt Nav; fine.

SO last night I go in and he asks me what accessories I could get. "How much is the protection package?" $360 + tax. "I have about $250 left in my 'budget' after tinting and clear bra; since I'm already paying MSRP on the car can you give me a break on the protection package?" (Ok, my negotation skills suck, but my wife was happy I tried.) He goes to ask... and comes back and says "Well, you're already getting a Costco discount on the car (like $200 off), so I can't take anything off of that." Heres the part that stunned me. "I can't discount the package itself, we have to pay the service department the same thing you would pay." Um... whatever. That sounds like a lie, but oh well. I told him to take it off cause I could get the stuff online for cheaper. He tried to talk me out of that plan, but they wern't going to work with me so I wasn't going to work with them on this.

Next came financing. This is where the sour taste sets in and made it feel like a true dealership exerience. No window etching. "Are you sure?? This car is going to be one hot item, you'll have to look out for it everywhere you go!" What is that? try to talk me out of buying the car? No to the paint protection. 'I have products I will use on my own.' Oh, well ok, this is for people who don't ever want to do that. Yeah, right. The lifetime sealant thing. Here was the one that really got me: Extended warranty. I was going to consider it if it was a good deal, but she outright lied as well as bashed Acura. "Are you sure you don't want this?? There are 10 computers in your car, and the Navi's are always having trouble! (The warranty doesn't cover Navi as discussed in other threads.) "If something goes wrong with the DVD disc with the maps on it, that costs $2000 to replace!" WHOA. I really seriously doubt that; I saw it on that acura ebay store (need the link to that again!) and I would have crapped if I saw that was the price. I remember it being like $170 or something. Anyway, I felt she was seriously blowing smoke up my ass at this point so I said no.

I get to go pick up my car next week with no frills, but certainly thrills -- they can't take THAT away.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
you should have never payed MSRP
Old 06-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by cTLgo
you should have never payed MSRP
I agree, but I couldn't find it for less. For all the Acura dealers in this area as soon as you say "with NAVI" they wont go below MSRP. "Well, demand is high enough we can't keep them on the lot." (And based on inventory lists, they can't). SO I went with the one that would take a Costco discount. ($200)
Old 06-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you paid MSRP?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by TBone2004
you paid MSRP?
Ok, wait. So you guys would just not buy the car at all? It's not like I didn't do my homework here. If I wanted automatic, fine. If I didn't want NAV, more than fine. But since I wanted both, they wouldn't move. No one in the area would (within a *4 hour drive*.) So my choice was not get the car at all, or decide if it was worth MSRP. Sure, I'd love a deal, but I wanted it more than I wanted to bitch about MSRP.

I seem to remember many people in CA being in the same boat. If I didn't have a newborn, maybe I would have flown out to the east coast where you guys are getting awesome deals left and right, but thats just not the way the cards fell. (as well as a 2 - 3000 mile drive home not being the best break in...)
Old 06-08-2004, 10:51 AM
9th Gear

I got my A-Spec/Navi Auto for 31K out the door

I spent 2 days at 3 dealerships negotiating before deciding. I got a 04 TL Auto with Navi and the Aspec wheels and tires not the complete A-spec package, I just wanted the wheels and Yoko's. between the 3 dealerships Radley Acura in VA made me the best deal at 31,995 with everything. The car was 35, the navi another 2 and the wheels supposedly another 2K so that's 39K........LOOK AT WHAT THEY PAY FOR THE CAR. not the sticker and the dealer installed options sticker. I talked to a guy next to me the same day I picked up my car and he paid 35K w/navi and no Aspec wheels.....I have owned 5 Acuras and everytime I have gotten them down to more than 4K on the price........although with this car it is kind of hot so some dealers will just pass on you and sell to the next guy in line.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by Mylriahd
Ok, wait. So you guys would just not buy the car at all? It's not like I didn't do my homework here. If I wanted automatic, fine. If I didn't want NAV, more than fine. But since I wanted both, they wouldn't move. No one in the area would (within a *4 hour drive*.) So my choice was not get the car at all, or decide if it was worth MSRP. Sure, I'd love a deal, but I wanted it more than I wanted to bitch about MSRP.

I seem to remember many people in CA being in the same boat. If I didn't have a newborn, maybe I would have flown out to the east coast where you guys are getting awesome deals left and right, but thats just not the way the cards fell. (as well as a 2 - 3000 mile drive home not being the best break in...)
Try getting internet quotes through Acura.com...

MSRP=
Old 06-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by rogue
I spent 2 days at 3 dealerships negotiating before deciding. I got a 04 TL Auto with Navi and the Aspec wheels and tires not the complete A-spec package, I just wanted the wheels and Yoko's. between the 3 dealerships Radley Acura in VA made me the best deal at 31,995 with everything. The car was 35, the navi another 2 and the wheels supposedly another 2K so that's 39K........LOOK AT WHAT THEY PAY FOR THE CAR. not the sticker and the dealer installed options sticker. I talked to a guy next to me the same day I picked up my car and he paid 35K w/navi and no Aspec wheels.....I have owned 5 Acuras and everytime I have gotten them down to more than 4K on the price........although with this car it is kind of hot so some dealers will just pass on you and sell to the next guy in line.

Rogue..what color is your TL? That price seems below dealer cost with the wheels and tires. Did you pay the processing fee in VA?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Rogue:

How is it possible you only paid $31,000 for the car you mentioned? Do you know someone at the dealer?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Team Anthracite

protection package should be free as well...
Old 06-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rogue, that would be a great price WITHOUT the ASPEC wheels/tires. With them, that is by far the championship price. Was there a trade or something for them to make money on?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by -=¤willhaven¤=-
protection package should be free as well...
I know, I'm pretty dissappointed with the lack of love. :'(
Old 06-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

I don't think I would pay MSRP for a TL with NAV. I would expect to get atleast $500 off the sticker. That would seem reasonable. As for Rouge's price, I really don't believe that unless that was a Demo car or something like that.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Quit picking on Mylriahd!

You guys should just be happy that you don’t live on the west coast where everybody appreciates how great the 2004 TL is. I paid MSRP-$200 for my 6MT with Navi, but I did get the protection package thrown it.

And I took a printout of the Internet listing for the extended warranty in to the negotiation with me. My on-line price was $1125 and so the dealer offered it to me for $1,150 after first asking $1,800.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:53 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

He didn't...

Originally Posted by Novice
Rogue:

How is it possible you only paid $31,000 for the car you mentioned? Do you know someone at the dealer?
There's a group of guys on here that try to act like they've gotten a better deal than the rest of us and they do tend to take it to a personal level. It appears that he did get an initial discount but then simply added the other things onto the car. Since he doesn't elaborate on the cost of those items we are left to assume that he paid retail for them (thats probably were the dealer made his money). His actual details are probably in a thread in this site somewhere but to be honest, I don't have the interest to go track them down. If he did pay retail for those others, then his deal is probably similar to the rest of us. If he truely wanted to help you he shoulkd have simply provided his "loaded" price (car itself + additions + title + taxes, etc). Then you could have looked at it and done your own math (ie bck out the prot pack, back out the body kit, etc). I bought my TL in december and paid $800 under MSRP for the car with the features on it. Some are now able to find NAVIs at $1,500 off (but I do believe those are Auto trannys so it may not apply to your deal). Glad to hear that you were successful fending of the "up sale".
Old 06-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Team Anthracite Peon

Don't feel too bad Mylriahd...I also paid MSRP at Acura of Bellevue. I wanted to get on the order list, so scouring the Puget Sound area for weeks to save a few hundred $$ wasn't worth it to me.

Congrats on the new ride!

-X-
Old 06-08-2004, 02:25 PM
USC YQUE

I knew I disliked the east coast!

Originally Posted by TBone2004
you paid MSRP?
Yup as someone else previously mentioned; MSRP on Navi models is the norm here in Los Angeles, Ca. People outside the west coast are fortunate to get the TL's at below MSRP cost!!
Old 06-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Msrp...

Well, for one thing, NAVI's are at a premium and 6MT's with NAVI are even more scarce and hard to come by. The demand for that combination has exceeded the production. That probably has something to do with the unwillingness to discount those.

While I did pay MSRP for my 6MT/NAVI the dealer did throw in the protection package for nothing and that was the best deal I could find in the Twin Cities. The other big dealer up there wanted MSRP AND charge for the protection package.

Your salesperson is feeding you a certain amount of manure, no doubt about that.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

You should try Acura of Seattle in Tukwila. I got mine there $1000 below msrp after one week of negotiations with navi.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Team Anthracite

I'm glad some of you do understand the MSRP problem here. It might (might) be interesting to see the percentages of who paid MSRP and who paid lower based on region. Theres no doubt you guys out in the east are getting far better deals than those of us on the west coast.

I paid MSRP, but I didn't pay a penny more than I had to over that. It's disappointing they wouldnt throw me a bone on the protection package, but oh well. I will have the car I want, and next week will be happy enough to forget the money.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Mylriahd,

Believe me, if you only ask how much you paid for your 04TL, since 10/2004, out of 2k+ members here, IMHO, at least 10-20% of ppl are paying MSRP...
Old 06-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Team Anthracite

I'd do a poll, but can't honestly think of a good way to split it up. Since theres plenty of people out there who paid under MSRP, but then were so busy patting themselves on the back about it they paid full price for all of the add-ons. To just talk about the car would skew the screw factor. :o
Old 06-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rogue
Oh, come on now...$31,995? That's $925 below invoice on a Navi before the 18s.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Advanced

Extended warranty. I was going to consider it if it was a good deal, but she outright lied as well as bashed Acura. "Are you sure you don't want this?? There are 10 computers in your car, and the Navi's are always having trouble! (The warranty doesn't cover Navi as discussed in other threads.) "If something goes wrong with the DVD disc with the maps on it, that costs $2000 to replace!"

I get to go pick up my car next week with no frills, but certainly thrills -- they can't take THAT away.

I would imagine that more people on this board paid MSRP then care to admit. In SoCal for instance, I was at the dealer one night when 7 were delivered, I went back the next night after work and there were 3 left! They are selling fast so discounts are hard to come by.

Now for the finance department, I would have loved to see the expression on the sales managers face if you had said you wanted to stop the deal based on the "Navi that always has trouble" and told him thanks for such an honest finance department that potentually saved you a lot of headaches with warrenty work. She may have been looking for new work the next day.

Overall i wouldn't sweat paying MSRP, you got what you wanted and your happy.

EZ
Old 06-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Cruisin'

I also paid MSRP at Acura of Bellevue. The Navi models are rare enough and the demand high enough that dealers around here won't budge on price.

On the issue of upsell, that's pretty much normal these days. I've yet to buy any new car without some degree of pressure to make additional purchases. On the upside, however, I dealt with two salesmen (Rob & John) and one finance manager (Kim) in the course of buying two cars from Acura of Bellevue. Each of these individuals was very polite and professional when I declined add-ons I didn't want. In fact, I'd say my overall experience with this dealership has been excellent in terms of both sales and service.

As for Acura of Seattle, I walked off their lot a year ago and never went back. They are firm believers in both the second sticker and the hard sell. For example, my experience began with the salesman giving me a speech on the limited supply and high demand of Acuras in the Puget Sound area. This was his attempt to justify $2,000 of additional markup on the second sticker. A few days later, I received a call offering the car I wanted at $100 below MSRP. The kicker was the dealer trying to make it sound like I was getting a great deal and saving $2,100. What a crock!
Old 06-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Cruisin'

When I went to Acura of Bellevue, the salesperson said he could get me a navi model for $395 off of MSRP.

Acura of Seattle didn't really give me problem. I guess because he knew I wasn't bs'ing on buying the car. Even though I didn't get any options with my TL, I still think I got a pretty good deal.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Team Anthracite

Its totally up to the salesman, and to some degree the style of person you work with I'm sure. I dealt with Rob first, and as I mentioned in a thread last month, it was a bad experience. He just clicked with me wrong; it happens. I dont blame him personally, but he didn't call me back as promised to test drive a 6mt when they came in; that was the kiss of death to me.

I worked with Tony, and with the exception of the line "we can't discount the protection package" (pressured by his manager I'm sure), I felt he was a great salesman. Not pushy at all -- which is the style of salesman I prefer. Just answer my questions, get me in the car. (I've heard good things about John as well, but didn't work with him.)

I dont want to be a whiny baby and say "but what about loyalty?!", but I had hoped for a LITTLE more love. As I said, even though I paid (just under) MSRP, I'll have the car next week and can be on my way. The CA dealership on ebay can have my parts business.

-Dan

Oh, and my experience with their service department has always been excellent with both the other Acura's I've gotten there. NO complaints about that at all, just to be clear!
Old 06-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Racer

Ok, wait. So you guys would just not buy the car at all?
Not from those assholes!!! :sqntfawk:
Old 06-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Eduardo
Yup as someone else previously mentioned; MSRP on Navi models is the norm here in Los Angeles, Ca.
I bought my TL in the LA basin last November (i.e. about a month after they hit the dealerships) and paid $800 under MSRP. This was for an auto with NAV, at the height of the "nav shortage." At the time I bought mine, others in the LA area were getting between $500 and $100 off MSRP. If anything, I would expect these cars to be selling for even lower prices now that the supply has increased somewhat.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Safety Car

i hate finance people, they are the scum of the earth when it comes to buying cars. sometimes they just want to make me kick them in the balls several times.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:17 PM
10th Gear

Its ok

I work for a dealer and i agree you should never pay msrp but as an employee i wanted to buy a tl and simply could not get one with stick and navi.....they are just imposible to get unless you factory order one which takes about 2 months and then even i pay sticker.....but as far as a regular AT without navi.....invoice is 30,300 and you shouldnt pay a whole lot over that.....as far as the after sale like warrenty and etch and stuff its your call....i like the etch cause the company we use gives you 2500 bucks if your car is stolen and you have the etch ....so find out if there is any cash backing that little window number
Old 06-09-2004, 05:46 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Why do so many people feel the need to make someone else feel like crap over their car purchase? There are so many variables involved in negotiating a price, not the least of which is any one individuals ability (or determination) to negotiate a better price. There are some people out there that get sick over hammering out a deal. Others... well saving $100-$200 is not worth the hassle of the argument when you're talking about $32,000 or more. Just wish him best, and be done with it. He's getting a great new car, and has to wait now to drive. That's disappointment enough without being hammered here.

There are some people who will spend hours and hours, working on a $200 discount. Driving from dealer to dealer, phone calls, online research. For a couple hundy? Puh-lease, how much time and effort did it cost you to get it done. And many, many people BS about their deals flat out. Because they feel it makes them look cool, or tough.

I worked on my price as well. But we have only 4 dealers in the lower half of the state. And in an area where nearly everyone has a relative that can get them a GM, Ford or Chrysler discount. The imports have a tough market to sell in. Those 4 dealers know they have the market here completely locked up, and demand is high enough for this car that they are all within a small percentage of the next. The dealer I got my CL from, let me walk and sold to the next guy when it came time for the 04 TL. Granted, that was in October of 03 and they had just come out, but the fact remains they let me walk. Well... they also raised the price ("Woops, we made a mistake") right after the deposit check came out. So I would have walked anyway, and paid $100 more at the other dealer. But they just didn't care. The other 2 dealers were right in line on pricing. And still are. A friend was shopping last month. Still not much under MSRP going on. They've only got so many cars, and plenty of customers, they don't need us. Now throw in the 6MT/NAV to that equation... :sqnteek:

HEY MYLRIAHD!!! Congrats on the purchase, and I hope the time until pickup flies by (even though it'll be painstakingly sloooooow) Enjoy the car, and never mind some of these people. You'll feel great once behind the wheel.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Racer

Amen Rock Dog.....thanks for putting it so nicely.

Congrats on the new wheels MYLRIAHD.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Racer

I agree with Rock Dog - you get the best deal you can in your area. We only have one dealer, otherwise it's an internet purchase from LA or Phoenix, so I know I'm probably going to pay MSRP. I'd like to pay less, but whatcha gonna do? I'll have to "Cowgirl up" for an 05 TL with AT and Navi.

I would be toast if it wasn't for my husband. He's good with numbers, so can spot the shenanigans at the dealer. Over the last 9 years we've bought 9 cars, and have caught finance guys changing interest rates, "losing" a $2K deposit, all kinds of fun. This time, we'll be getting a loan from our credit union (2.9%) - much safer!
Old 06-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Rock Dog
HEY MYLRIAHD!!! Congrats on the purchase, and I hope the time until pickup flies by (even though it'll be painstakingly sloooooow) Enjoy the car, and never mind some of these people. You'll feel great once behind the wheel.
Thanks man! I appreciate the understanding, and yes.. the wait (even though around a week now) is painful. My co-workers are probably very near killing me to get me to shut up about it. "next week" is kind of vague, I'm going to be well beyond nuts if they don't call me till Friday next week!
Old 06-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Racer

Don't believe Rogue on that price. No way, not even without the 18" and Yoko's but absolutely no way with them.

Rogue - scan your final price contract and your accessories with prices.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Banned

Mylriahd,

Congrats on getting the car. When it comes in give me a call and we will hook up right away.