Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone who owns a TL check out the Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 06:21 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paul revere
Well said. I just turned 60 and enjoy driving my 04 TL. It took me a long time to be able to afford a car like this and I'm still young enough to enjoy it. Look at Paul Newman, still racing after all these years.
Unfortunetly Paul turned in his racing shoes . . . But he's still very much involved just not behind the wheel anymore . . . PS he lives in my neighborhood!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:01 AM
E-Xtraordinare

The avalon is fuckin ugly
Old 05-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Avalon Limited joined the Family.....

This is my opinion, having all Toyota & Lexus owners in the family, with me being the exception to the TL. Now I will put on my flameproof suit....

My brother in law's Avalon came in this week. I must say it is an awfully nice car. Very well put together, nice materials and most obvious...HUGE (I hear Donald Trump describing it... HUGE). Actually parked in the driveway next to my TL, it is longer, taller but not wider. The most obvious difference in proportions is the nose. The TL is the typical Honda low slung nose, where the Avalon nose is taller and more blunt. The seating position in the Avalon is tall almost SUV tall. The TL feels like a sporty coupe in comparision.

But the Avalon's back seat is limo like. It feels bigger than a town car, likely as the driveline well is smaller on the Avalon also being a front driver. The engine is sweet, though 280 HP feels like 230. It actually has more growl (and whine) than the TL. The TL just sounds more sophisticated.

After riding and driving the Avalon, it is very clear these are NOT comparable vehicles. The Avalon is clearly a touring / luxury vehicle. Though the performance / engineering specs are not too far off the TL, it clearly feels unlike the TL. The Avalon handles smartly, not sporty. It floats much less than typical tourers, but much more than a sport sedan. It is clearly a luxury / touring sedan with attributes to appeal towards sport sedan shoppers. More image than substance.

Technology is comparable to the TL with the Nav system, features etc. But again the TL technology superceeds with touch screen, broader voice command and instrument layout. The Avalon Limited has much features the TL has, but it just works better, wiser in the TL.

Where the Avalon edges the TL in my opinion is just Toyota's build quality. The interior, though not as appealing in style and design as the TL (to me) is much better put together. the dash seams, glovebox and fit is superior. The gaps in the interior components of the TL look like Kia in comparision. The materials are better, the fit extroadinary and the overall feel / sound is solid. Driving it, there were no clicks, ticks or sounds from anything moving. The Acura would be the no brainer if they could accomplish the interior build refinement Toyota / Lexus exhibit. However, the exterior fit and finish & paint were on par, in my opinion.

My brother in law admits the TL would have been his choice. He agrees the TL is a sport sedan and gives more thrill. But to please sis, and the space utility of the Avalon over the TL, they chose the Avalon. The only feature the Avalon had in 'cool' factor over the TL was the keyless ignition...but really. Sis actually said the TL back seet was more comfy (contoured) than the Avalon, but entry into the TL was a bit of a limbo dance. The Avalon has room to bring your big screen TV.

Thought I'd share some direct feedback, since the Avalon and the TL are now in my family. The Avalon is not quite on par with my g/f's GS300, but damn close. On the other hand..the Avalon Limited with Navi and dealer added XM topped 37K! Nuff said!
Old 05-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Didn't look at the Avalon when I looked for a car, but I have to say, it is a nice car. We had one as a rental one time, and it was about as cushy as could be. It had everything on it, great pick up, smooth ride, lots of room, etc. Exterior/interior styling were not to my liking, but that in no way diminished what a wonderful car it was. It's not the same type of car as the TL (as many have noted), so I think it's a hard comparison, but compared to a STS, any Buick, Impala, or LS, it has them beat.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
The Avalon is a totally different type of car than the TL. It's a luxo-cruiser. The TL is a luxury-sports sedan (or sports-luxury sedan, however you like to slice it). One thing I don't like is how everyone just thinks of HP. Power:Weight ratio is a much better comparison. Say you had a 400HP vehicle, but it's a big SUV that weighs 8000lbs. You're gonna be SLOW! That said, the Avalon and TL have similar power:weight ratios, but the steering and driver involvment in the Avalon is much less.

I sat in the Avalon and it's seats are WAYYY to squishy for me!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:37 PM
MX-5 Miata

This is funny. I'm laughing at all you guys arguing over whether a tarted-up Accord is better than a tarted-up Camry.

I have driven both and I do feel that the TL is marginally less boat-like, but if you're getting a luxobarge anyway, why not get the one that does it better. I have a sports car (not sporty) for the curves anyway.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:47 PM
MX-5 Miata

What the shit? This is a 2005 thread? Don't i feel stupid.

In my defence, I followed the link from the "Similar threads" section at the bottom.