Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use "The Club"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody use "The Club"?

Just curious. I used to drive a 95 Accord and being that it is/was one of the most stolen cars in CA I've always used a club as added protection.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:03 AM
The Undertaker

i used it way back in the day, until theves just cut the steering wheel on some cars. They part out most stolen cars anyway and sell em to the chop shops. I don't live to far from jersey city and newark nj, which are basically a few of the capitals for stolen cars in the u.s.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
the TL's key has a built in chip so technically (unless the theif is really savvy) your car won't be stolen, broken into maybe, but not stolen
Old 10-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

I heard that they really don't work anymore, since those who are going to steal your car have a way around it now. A good security system is the best way to go if you really want to be safe. If someone is going to steal your car, nothing is going to hold them back. The real good ones can go around anything. I think we had this discussion before.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had a 2000 blue SI stolen in San Diego from the SDSU parking garage; had The Club, Viper alarm w/ horn honk and siren, prk light and fog lights flash, hood pin switch and starter kill, no tint, etc. They cut the steering wheel and the club remains in tact. I conclude the club is worthless to the professionals but does a good job as a deterant to everyone else. Also only prevents from car theft, not break in's. I hope that the TL isn't on the list of most stolen cars, I wouldn't think so.

BTW they caught the theif at the check point on the 5 between San Diego and LA... he/(she) took nothing from the car... actually left the tools he used to take the car. What are the odds? I thought it'd be long gone across the border. Wish they'd let me at him/(her) I'd take out all my aggressions on that person from all the times I've been broken into and had things stolen. All the SI needed was a new steering wheel and column and some alarm rewire work. I was lucky.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If a professional thief targets your car....it's gone! The pro's can steal anything they set their mind(?) on. Personally, I think using the club, alarms, etc. are worthless. The best defense is a good offense with cars. Park in a well lit, busy area and that's about all you can do to protect your car. Having the car vandalized, broken-in, or stolen is best prevented by not giving the thief the opportunity in the first place. All the club will do is scratch up the steering wheel, and cause YOU a lot of inconvenience.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:09 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
All antitheft devices out there just SLOW down the thief they do not avoid THEFT.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm Baaack!

The club won't even stop a joy-rider anymore, too many ways around it.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:42 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

The best way to prevent your car from getting stolen is to remove the steering wheel entirely and take it with you to your destination -- movie theater, dinner, play, etc. (much like how bikers remove their bike seats before they lock their bikes at the rack).

Old 10-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Lojack
Old 10-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Racer

THE CLUB??? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Dude...it's 2004!!!! lolol
Old 10-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Racer

I think it was Qatar who used a GPS tracking service (don't know which one).

Anyone else try this? Viper/Directed offers it and it was featured on CNN.

I'm considering it but wondered if anyone else has it or has used it?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Advanced

I agree with alot of what you guys say. If your TL wants to be stolen it will be, but just like someone mentioned the club is good as a deterant to the 'amateur' or 'spur of the moment' car theives. Thats the main reason I used it for my accord since its high on the stolen cars list. I'm just curious if anybody feels the same and uses the club on their TL. So far I take it nobody does. I don't use it either, but who knows I might change my mind.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:49 PM
TL User

I bought a club for my brand new TL. The lock on the club failed for some reason after a couple weeks and I had to call a locksmith to unlock the club.

The guy used a device that weighed no more than 5 pounts to SNAP the club in half in about.... 5 seconds. No damage to the steering wheel, no damage whatsoever!

I returned the club and am currently looking at those pedal locking things. They say they are much safer than stearing wheel clubs, but who knows... I wish it was legal to install electrocutional device in the car so that anyone who tries to steal it get's electrocuted...
Old 10-08-2004, 03:48 PM
I6

The only reason I have a club in my trunk is....you know the rest.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Racer

the club is useless.... believe it or not... it only takes 30 second to break the club. At a certain pressure point, a club can be easily break just by a clamp! If you watch the REPO man on TLC, one episode they have to recover one car that has the club, The Repo man breakes the club in 15 sec and drive away the car in 30 second.

In addition, alot of car thieve now uses TOW truck to steal the car. If they really want your car, they just tow it back to their werehouse and then working on to take your car into pieces
Old 10-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Pro

2 way pager alarm and lojack is my solution. I'm usually not too far away from my car so the 2 way pager is able to notify me..if that fails than lojack gets a call.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
The Club is easily defeated - it is one of those "too good to be true" products. A small amount of liquid nitrogen and it cracks like an old ho.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The Club is pretty useless for our car. A good alarm is our best defense, and even that's an imperfect solution.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:32 PM
I'm Baaack!

Best bet is Lojack if they use it in your area ... you call Lojack .. :cop: cops do the rest!
Old 10-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore
The best way to prevent your car from getting stolen is to remove the steering wheel entirely and take it with you to your destination -- movie theater, dinner, play, etc. (much like how bikers remove their bike seats before they lock their bikes at the rack).

I actually I saw on TV a thief in action. He actually removed the steering wheel completely, and put a box-wrench on the steering linkage, and used it to steer the car.

As for the using the club, yeah, it's more hassle than it's worth. The steering wheel is easily cut with a pair of wire cutters, and the club will just slip right off. However, on my other car, one time the sun was beating down on the car, and the club actually heated up so much, it marred the leather wrapped steering wheel
Old 10-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Acurazine Addict

Originally Posted by Slava
I bought a club for my brand new TL. The lock on the club failed for some reason after a couple weeks and I had to call a locksmith to unlock the club.

The guy used a device that weighed no more than 5 pounts to SNAP the club in half in about.... 5 seconds. No damage to the steering wheel, no damage whatsoever!

I returned the club and am currently looking at those pedal locking things. They say they are much safer than stearing wheel clubs, but who knows... I wish it was legal to install electrocutional device in the car so that anyone who tries to steal it get's electrocuted...
He probably used one of these... CLICK
Ohh BTW, the autolock will fare no better against this thing.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I have a club, which is useless if sleeping in my storage room for doing nothing.

IMHO, it's never an appalling idea to have it on the car. It won't eat too much space. And, it could be useful sometimes...
Old 10-09-2004, 01:45 AM
Advanced

I just stick it on. I mean if a theive sees two similar/identical car. One has a club the other doesn't. Take your pick.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:59 AM
I6

The club is useless for the car but for other reasons it's pretty usefull.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Slava
I returned the club and am currently looking at those pedal locking things.
Slava - All I can say is:

DON'T DO IT!

I had one of these pedal locking devices, and they work really well. Too well. After the second time that I accidently started my car with the pedal locker in place and nearly had a wreck, I decided that the pedal locker was more of a danger than a help.

I found that the times that you'll forget that you have the pedal locker engaged are the times that you are in a hurry to get somewhere - so you'll be backing out aggresively. Not a good combination of events!
Old 10-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
If you want to prevent a thief without a towtruck from stealing your car, it's probably easier to take the fuel pump fuse with you. (And ECM fuse for that matter). The car won't start, and the thief probably will never figure it out. Other people rewire the spark plugs, by plugging 1 into 2 and 2 into 1, etc etc, but I don't think the TL has traditional spark plug wires.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I have two of the "pedal locking" things and didn't like them. They're a bit clumsy to use and not too difficult to fault. I use the Master Lock 4-prong "club" type device.

Yes, I am fully aware that a device such as this, or most any device, is pretty much a failure if a "professional" or someone determined really wants your car. About the only thing that will keep that from happening is you being there with a weapon and the will and ability to use it.

But a decent device will thwart most bad guys who want to steal a car. They'll just move on to another one which is less of a hassle.