Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anthracite w/Camel Photos needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 06:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anthracite w/Camel Photos needed

I'm in the final stages of purchasing (or rather ordering) a new TL. Trouble is I thought I wanted Anthracite color with the Quartz interior. However after another visit (and test drive) with the dealer, I decided that I really do not like that Quartz interior color.

Just curious if any of the forum members might share some external/internal photo's of their Anthracite w/Camel as the dealer did not have any in this color combination.

I could see that the parchment would look great in this color car but is not an option.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:12 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I saw an Anthricite/Camel combination last week at Park Ave Acura in Maywood, NJ. Although each color is nice in its own right, I don't think they mix. The Camel interior looks 100X better with the Green, Red, Blue, or Black exteriors. It escapes most of us how/why Acura came up with some of these available combinations while making exterior colors and interior colors you can't order in the combinations you want. Make sure you see the combination you're interested in for youself before you order it.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Instructor

there are anthracite/camel pictures posted on this forum, just do a search. Personally, I think it looks hideous together. Grey and orangish tan??? Get the anthracite with Ebony, those colors go together.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I think they're right and good combination when you really see them. My disk has some photos, but no one shows Anthracite/Camel together in one pictures... Sorry...
Old 12-26-2003, 07:17 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Actually, I was in a similar boat but with the antrhacite with ebony. I just saw an anthracite with camel at this other dealer and I really like the combination, esp with the black dash and the wood trim.

I still have my anthracite with ebony coming in the first dealer where my deposit is, but now I'm not so sure I'd be happy with that, after seeing the camel.

I also do not like the quartz interior much.

Originally posted by DMZ
I saw an Anthricite/Camel combination last week at Park Ave Acura in Maywood, NJ. Although each color is nice in its own right, I don't think they mix. The Camel interior looks 100X better with the Green, Red, Blue, or Black exteriors. It escapes most of us how/why Acura came up with some of these available combinations while making exterior colors and interior colors you can't order in the combinations you want. Make sure you see the combination you're interested in for youself before you order it.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:01 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Well shoot, I just found out that the dealer that I was supposed to get the anthracite/ebony from only has one coming in January, and there is one person ahead of me on the list. Dang it!
Old 12-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Advanced

While this is strictly a subjective opinion, I think anthracite and camel are a terrible mix and it appears that I am not alone in this opinion. Even if I liked a color combo I would be weary of getting it if there was a segment of the population that hated it as I do not need to be at a disadvantage when I go to sell the car.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Racer

I can see how you'd think that the color combination doesn’t mix. From browsing the TL booklet, it Anthracite and Camel just doesn’t go. But like others have said, you have to see it in person.

Personally, I wanted Anthracite and Ebony, but I decided that it was too dark. Then I decided on the Quartz, but I saw that in person and really didn’t like it at all.....

I really like parchment 1st, then perhaps camel or ebony next.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:28 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Agreed completely. When I saw the pictures of the car I thought it was hideous. But now that I've seen it in person, it's actually a very very nice contrast to the black dash and the Anthracite exterior.

I'm starting to feel that the black looks too dark in the Anthracite as well. The only downside to camel or parchment is its "get dirty fast" problem.

Originally posted by greenseed
I can see how you'd think that the color combination doesn’t mix. From browsing the TL booklet, it Anthracite and Camel just doesn’t go. But like others have said, you have to see it in person.

Personally, I wanted Anthracite and Ebony, but I decided that it was too dark. Then I decided on the Quartz, but I saw that in person and really didn’t like it at all.....

I really like parchment 1st, then perhaps camel or ebony next.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:40 PM
Racer

That’s one of the other dilemmas I'm having as well. My wife's new '04 Maxima is black with a quartz like interior. Its a bit lighter than the Acura quartz color, but it can get stains/blemishes if you don’t watch.

We have a 7 year-old daughter and we have to make sure she doesn’t but her shoes on the leather seats. Which she sometimes does when laying down.

I'd have a stroke if she ever got dirt on my new TL....
Old 12-26-2003, 09:42 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

It's not just that either; when you have guests in the backseat, all they have to do (and they will do this, even as careful as they might be) is brush their feet against the leather and boom, it's dirty again.

I guess you just need to invest in something to clean the leather often.

That’s one of the other dilemmas I'm having as well. My wife's new '04 Maxima is black with a quartz like interior. Its a bit lighter than the Acura quartz color, but it can get stains/blemishes if you don’t watch.

We have a 7 year-old daughter and we have to make sure she doesn’t but her shoes on the leather seats. Which she sometimes does when laying down.

I'd have a stroke if she ever got dirt on my new TL....
Old 12-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Racer

That would be a good investment of elbow grease I guess....

Perhaps ebony isnt that bad afterall.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:42 AM
Cruisin'

Anthracite/Camel

Had this color combination once before on a 1986 MB 300E that I held onto for 9 years (next longest car owned was 3.5 years).

I think Ebony and Quartz are safe interiors (I have Quartz on my 03 Silver MDX), but the Camel is very rich looking. Yes, it's got some shock (yellow??) element the first time you see it compared to the safe colors. But, when you drive it for a while it gets very comfortable (like the MB I owned for 9 years).
Old 12-27-2003, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Once again, a thread that proves there is no accounting for taste, and if you ask these types of questions you are bound to get lots of opinions (whether you asked for them or not).

If you like the camel with anthracite, more power to you. I only suggest you be absolutely sure about your decision before you make it. Once you drive off the lot, the car is probably yours to keep, so just make sure you see it, touch it, and sit in it first. Don't buy this combo sight unseen, because to many it was clearly "wrong" the minute they saw it.

Camel will be hard to keep clean, as will quartz and parchment. Black is the only color that can look good over the long haul without too much effort.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
To each their own, but the mere thought of an orangey leather in a gray car makes my skin crawl. The camel color is the least favorite of all the interior colors for me. That doesn't mean it's bad, though. I can see it working with the blue exterior.... but damn... anthracite?

Whatever you do, don't let your impulse drive you into buying this because it's the only one immediately available!
Old 12-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Instructor

IMHO, camel and wood don't work w/anthracite--breaks up the lines of the everything I can't describe in words. I thought I wanted anthracite w/quartz, but I ended up liking the anthracite w/ebony better. I walked in dead set against another ebony interior (have in on the silver MDX), but w/anthracite, the ebony ends up looking charlcoal...the look I wanted but just didn't know it.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:26 PM
7th Gear

Well, I have seen the Anthracite and Camel combination in person and I definitely would not chose that interior/exterior combination. I find it interesting how many different mfg are offering some variation on the grey (or silver) with tan interior theme. No matter, that the new BMW 6 series, Volvo S60 R or even the new Ford F-150 Lariat, are all showing this combo for their launch promo vehicle -- it is still an awkward pairing to my eye. FWIW, I once mentioned this trend to a painter friend and she commented that it is awkward because of the color wheel relationship between the two colors, and that they are not considered complimentary colors.

Volvo S60 R

2004 Ford F-150 Lariat

The S60R 'Atacama' leather is however, quite stunning IMO, when paired with their black paint (see this gallery), or the S60R exclusive Flash Green color. This leather is a premium analine leather,that unlike most other auto leather is not surfaced dyed. It has been used by Ferarri, BMW, MB and Audi as well. Very classy seating material, but the orange shade of the color is definitely not for everyone.

Funny how different the perception of colors from the catalog or net photos floating around are, compared to seeing them in the flesh. I asked about the cream colored cast to the White Diamond Pearl paint in an earlier thread, and several replied that is wasn't cream in person. Ha! I have seen it and it most definitely is not a pure white. I saw it with the quartz interior, and for me, that is a combination that does not work, as well as WDP with parchment.

Anyway, same dealer had and Anthracite and camel TL, next to blue and camel one, and their was not doubt in my mind, the camel worked with the blue, but clashed with the anthracite. I have also seen the green and camel and thought it was a very elegant combination. Haven't seen the black and camel, but think it would be sharp.

If you think about color combinations, as you would your wardrobe, would you ever think to put grey trousers with a cream (not white) colored shirt; or white pants and cream colored shirt; or grey pants and an orange shirt? I know I wouldn't. Had to laugh though, when I sat through the Robert Deniro movie Ronin a couple of months ago; as I was shopping the S60R and noticed (in one scene) Deniro was wearing grey slacks and had on a orangey suede sport coat and matching shoes. Reminded me of the Titanium/Atacama S60R.

While my tastes may run a little more conservative than some, I do know what I like when I see it. As others have commented here, you need to see the color combination that you like in person, before commiting to buying it. Also worth considering IMO, is how color can effect your mood. Dark interior colors can be depressing for some, and may outweight any maintenance consideration you may have.

Question for the group: Am I the only one that thinks the perforated leather used on the TL door panels (rather than solid leather ) does not look very good?
Old 12-27-2003, 04:49 PM
Racer

I'm also in a similar boat. Just ordered an anthracite/ebony nav and the dealer called the other day and said he was having trouble locating the car and that I should start thinking about a secod choice. I went into the dealership yesterday and looked at what they had in stock. None of the lighter colors (camel, parchment) do it for me, and I don't like the look of the quartz either. For me, the ebony is the way to go. So that limited my exterior choices. I would have offered to get the green/ebony as a second choice, but you can't get the green with ebony (why? I think it would look awesome :-)

Anyway, to make a long story short, I did not find a second color choice, which was fine after I found out that the dealer was only looking at existing dealer stock in a relatively small area. Guess he wanted to close the deal this month. I told him that I would be more than happy to wait a couple of weeks to get the color combo I wanted, just as long as it wasn't an open ended wait. He said he would almost certainly be able to find it for me and would let me know on Monday.

gen3tlfan, I have to agree with you that the perforated leather doesn't look as nice as a solid leather would.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Racer

All --

After some consideration, I feel that although I like the Camel I will choose ebony with the Anthracite. It simply goes together much better than that Camel color would. The Camel looks killer on the Black TL. But since my wife's car is black, she said NO to another black one (My F-150 is black too -- people are going to think we are Mormon or something).

Marquis, your better of ordering and not letting the dealer try and trade/haggle to get you the car you want. The wait should be 5-7 weeks. I plan on ordering mine on the 31st. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:03 AM
Instructor

You'll love it Greenseed!

Your pick will still look classy ten years from now. Enjoy.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:56 AM
Cruisin'

All Leather Needs Maintenance

Poor taste or not (I have Anthracite/Camel) don't let maintenance concerns alone sway you Ebony. If you like black leather, that's fine, but don't go there just because you think it will stay clean.

With two kids and a big dog, 13 months into my Quartz 03 MDX, my interior looks like new. Every 3 months it gets a simple Meguries Leather care cleaner/conditioner treatment (15 minutes). I'm 2 months into the 04 TL and it looks like the same schedule will work here too. I've owned black leather and it's NOT maintenance free. You have to clean and condition all leather, so you should get the color you want.

I love my Anthracite/Camel Navi TL. I'm happy to own this really great car and I'm delighted that I didn't pick a "cookie cutter" color combination.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All --

After some consideration, I feel that although I like the Camel I will choose ebony with the Anthracite. It simply goes together much better than that Camel color would. The Camel looks killer on the Black TL. But since my wife's car is black, she said NO to another black one (My F-150 is black too -- people are going to think we are Mormon or something).

Marquis, your better of ordering and not letting the dealer try and trade/haggle to get you the car you want. The wait should be 5-7 weeks. I plan on ordering mine on the 31st. Good luck.
Good choice (same as mine ). I think the Camel interior is very ugly regardless of the exterior color. I would not buy one at invoice. But, that's just me.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Racer

Well the wife just gave me a final approval on the car, so I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to make my bid. I'm still on the fence about the colors, but the good news is that I'm standing firm on the 6MT over the auto.

Thanks for your posts.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:31 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

greenseed:

Good luck with that car buying process! I just got my Anthracite/Ebony and I'm glad I stuck with the ebony interior. The car looks gorgeous.