Another Transmission Takes a Dump at 106k

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013 | 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rockstar143
glad to hear it, looking forward to your outcome.
+1
Old 08-30-2013 | 10:53 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Update: So got the numbers for the 65/35 option. Basically total cost is approximately $4200 and 35% is about $1500 for me. I obviously am not ok with this arrangement so I protested at the dealership level and they escalated it again to the district. Decision came back as no change and same offer stands.

I called Acura Client services yesterday spoke to someone in coroporate and she's going to look into this and get back to me today afternoon. I explicitly stated that I'm looking for full coverage at 100%. I explained the entire situation at nauseum and told her that I've owned nothing but Honda and Acura ever since high school and obviously this car isn't going to last for a lifetime and in 2 years I will be looking to purchase something else and I would like for it to be a Honda/Acura product as well but without the bad taste.

The amount of Honda/Acuras in my family is ridiculous and I had a revelation when I was listing them to her. Most recent purchase was a 2013 TSX for my wife.

List as follows:

99 Honda Accord
03 TL Type S
06 TL (Current)
03 TL (Mother)
09 MDX (Father traded in)
13 MDX (Father new ride)
12 TL AWD (Mother)
09 TSX (Wife Traded in)
13 TSX (Wifes Current Car)

All purchased brand new and original owners.
Old 08-30-2013 | 02:27 PM
Team Owner

Even at $1,500 they're making a good profit off of you. Be persistent, you deserve 100% replacement.
Old 08-30-2013 | 03:01 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Even at $1,500 they're making a good profit off of you. Be persistent, you deserve 100% replacement.
New Offer: $540 (taxes included).

My total cost right now is $900 with the towing that should've never happened. Waiting for a call back to see how I should proceed. Whether I should just take it just to avoid the hassle or have my sister (who's a lawyer) draft a letter. I feel that I'm entitled to 100%.
Old 08-30-2013 | 03:25 PM
07 TL-S

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My 03 had the same issue, that shudder between 2nd and 3rd for a while then out of the blue when I was accelerating on an on ramp, my trannys life flashed before its eyes. pllllbbbbbbb....... No power transfer. I was barely able to get it home. Although I did get some codes when it happened. I cant remember exactly what it said but it said something like engine output speed didnt match trans input speed or was out of range. That is pretty much a given though. Hopefully you can get it all straightened out. Good luck
Old 08-30-2013 | 05:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by UBERTL
Sorry to hear about your troubles. My 03 had the same issue, that shudder between 2nd and 3rd for a while then out of the blue when I was accelerating on an on ramp, my trannys life flashed before its eyes. pllllbbbbbbb....... No power transfer. I was barely able to get it home. Although I did get some codes when it happened. I cant remember exactly what it said but it said something like engine output speed didnt match trans input speed or was out of range. That is pretty much a given though. Hopefully you can get it all straightened out. Good luck
That shudder was a major warning.
Old 08-30-2013 | 05:50 PM
7th Gear

Over a year ago, my 2004 Acura TSX started making a slight, slight 'ticking/revving' type of sound (not sure how to explain) from 15-30 mph. I took it into the dealer and they couldn't find anything. Eventually got worse to the point of this July, when I started hearing other sounds. (have 120k miles on the car) Took it to a dealer and was told the transmission would need to be replaced and was quoted $3900. The next day, it started making terrible sounds and I barely could drive the car home. I took it to a local transmission place and had the transmission rebuilt for a total of $2390.85 with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.
Shortly after getting the car back, I noticed it was not shifting correctly and around 40 mph, intermittently, it would shudder, vibrate and at times sound like I drove over a gravel strip. So I took it back in and they replaced a solenoid.. Got the car back... better but still having slight shudder around 39-60. Taking the car back on Monday and they are going to place the torque converter again.

PS- my AC clutch just fell off the car today and system was only blowing Hot air (I'm in 1000 degree weather in Florida). I was quoted: $1129.68 for new compressor, dryer, AC flush and recharge.

SERENITY NOW!!!
Old 08-30-2013 | 06:05 PM
07 TL-S

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That shudder was a major warning.

Yeah, I knew my trans was going. It was just a matter of time before I had to say goodbye
Old 08-31-2013 | 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Update: So got the numbers for the 65/35 option. Basically total cost is approximately $4200 and 35% is about $1500 for me. I obviously am not ok with this arrangement so I protested at the dealership level and they escalated it again to the district. Decision came back as no change and same offer stands.

I called Acura Client services yesterday spoke to someone in coroporate and she's going to look into this and get back to me today afternoon. I explicitly stated that I'm looking for full coverage at 100%. I explained the entire situation at nauseum and told her that I've owned nothing but Honda and Acura ever since high school and obviously this car isn't going to last for a lifetime and in 2 years I will be looking to purchase something else and I would like for it to be a Honda/Acura product as well but without the bad taste.

The amount of Honda/Acuras in my family is ridiculous and I had a revelation when I was listing them to her. Most recent purchase was a 2013 TSX for my wife.

List as follows:

99 Honda Accord
03 TL Type S
06 TL (Current)
03 TL (Mother)
09 MDX (Father traded in)
13 MDX (Father new ride)
12 TL AWD (Mother)
09 TSX (Wife Traded in)
13 TSX (Wifes Current Car)

All purchased brand new and original owners.
Wow- soo many Acuras- push for 100%
Old 08-31-2013 | 12:48 PM
Type Sour

Just paid $2600 for my rebuilt transmission. $900 only? Wow you should be grateful....
Old 08-31-2013 | 01:17 PM
10th Gear

I've just bought a 2004 with 102k and a bad trans. I've got a mech who is sending it out for rebuild. $1000 installed.. 12 months warranty.
What is the dealer charging you?
Old 08-31-2013 | 05:04 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by THEReeM718
Just paid $2600 for my rebuilt transmission. $900 only? Wow you should be grateful....
Bought it new or used? Extended warranty or no?
Old 08-31-2013 | 05:27 PM
Type Sour

Bought it new or used? Extended warranty or no?
Bought the car used, and rebuilt for $2600 at a local transmission shop. 1year/12k miles warranty. My nearest dealership is paragon Acura here in NYC and I wouldn't hold my breath dealing with them.

Last edited by THEReeM718; 08-31-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2013 | 11:10 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by THEReeM718
Bought the car used, and rebuilt for $2600 at a local transmission shop. 1year/12k miles warranty. My nearest dealership is paragon Acura here in NYC and I wouldn't hold my breath dealing with them.
This is the dealership I'm currently dealing with right now. But it's not the dealership that has the final say. Plus I hate to say it but it all depends on your service history with any dealership and also your personal relationship as well to make certain things happen.

Currently I know they are trying their level best and I'm more unhappy with corporate then I am with the dealership level.

Also buying new and being the original owner gets you more help from corporate than buying preowned. This was what was told to me.

Right now they want me to pay $540. Plus the towing charges I incurred.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 08-31-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2013 | 09:40 AM
takin care of Business in

^^^ Thats a great deal....

Totally agree that the final outcome depends on relations with the dealership.....if you have bought multiple cars from them, get it serviced there, ofcourse they would take a little hit since they dont want to loose the customer....

but $540 for a rebuilt transmission with warranty is a great deal....
Old 09-03-2013 | 01:01 PM
Dallas Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

A dealer will never cover 100% when the vehicle is out of warranty. From working at my dealership four years now I have got the run around plenty of times with customers on this subject. General Motors takes the total cost and then gives the customer a percentage based on the cost in whatever price range bracket it is in. I dont know how honda/acura does things but my 6th gen accord had 114k when my trans when out and honda covered about 40% of it. To be in all honesty, goodwilling something is in the best interest to keep the customer happy. Yes, you have to pay but its so much cheaper. I wasnt happy when I was on the other end with my accord trans but I had no choice. Full price or 40% discount, what would you do? The most important thing is that you came into the dealer multiple times before your warranty was out. If this is true the dealer should accept full responsibility since they did not catch the fault when it was at the shop. That is what we do anyways. I hope it all works out for you OP.
Old 09-03-2013 | 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, I got my '06 TL tranny swapped out with one from a 4 cylinder Honda accord last week. My extended warranty wouldn't replace with a new or rebuilt tranny, so that was my only option. When I got my car back, I could tell that there was a major difference in how the car drives. There were delays between gears and the rpm would either rev really high before shifting or chug along to move when I punched it. But the shifts were butter smooth!

There were quite a few issues including the engine light intermittently coming on. I was a bit disappointed, but I came to terms with the DNR. I just wanted to have the car drive again so that it could be available for the next owner.

Needless to say, I traded her in 2 days after I got it back.

OP, make sure you get a freshly rebuilt or new tranmission.
Old 09-03-2013 | 04:11 PM
8th Gear

Whoa, coincidence I find this thread.

My TL-S Auto had 44K miles and once in a blue moon I'll feel the rattle/vibration between 3rd and 4th. I'm taking it to the Acura dealer this Thursday to get it checked.

Still has 1 year Powertrain warranty left but I'm worried about the outcome.
Old 09-04-2013 | 08:59 AM
UA6
Safety Car

My surprised face Acura will probably claim that your RonJon kit caused the vehicle to be more aerodynamic than the factory bumper creating more torque and thats why the tranny failed.
Old 09-04-2013 | 09:18 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Update?
Old 09-04-2013 | 10:40 AM
6th Gear

I'm worried about my transmission now... Would it be impossible to swap an 07-08 TL trans into an 04-06? I know they updated the trans to make it stronger/better for the 07-08's...
Old 09-04-2013 | 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

900 bucks is not bad BUT I still believe they should cover you 100% given your service history and their incompetence in failing to properly diagnose the problem when the car was in warranty.
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013 | 11:02 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

I agree, worst case scenario here is still pretty darn good. Meko is going through something similar and he was ecstatic to pay $1600! Different circumstance, obvi.
Old 09-04-2013 | 01:26 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

^^ He is paying $900 for the tranny, the rest is to replace the cracked radiator.
Old 09-04-2013 | 02:50 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by BlackBeard51
I'm worried about my transmission now... Would it be impossible to swap an 07-08 TL trans into an 04-06? I know they updated the trans to make it stronger/better for the 07-08's...
I have an 08' TLS auto w/ 44K miles and I'm starting to notice the same warning signs of those who had their torque converter fail. Just an FYI
Old 09-04-2013 | 05:10 PM
6th Gear

Darn... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you esteef!
Old 09-04-2013 | 05:41 PM
Intermediate

OK so i fig this is the perfect thread to ask sorry to high jack as i am also noticing issues with my transmission once in a blue moon when i really beat up on it....ill be punching it in 3rd gear (AT), and ill be getting close the 6500 and all of a sudden the tranny/torque converter slips and it just revvs out to 7k with no acceleration from the vehicle, now it doesnt do it all the time but it deff does happen and im at 75k in mileage, and i have a mixture of tranny fluid from the dealerhsip and lucas transmissions fluid (ive used lucas before on all my previous cars and they have been nothing but butter smoothed shifts and no issues watsoever, and its lucas one of the TOP brands out there, its dam good stuff. so thats why i threw in some lucas tranny as well) so my concern is will they say because i used lucas transmission oil in my tranny that it will void the warranty. If so how good are they at detecting that i have used a different fluid if i was to do the 3x3 tranny fluid flush/change?.

How fast do you think i should jump on this.
when i drive the car normal and not get on it, on a hot day, it will drive just fine....and i swear when i do get on it and it does push the transmission on a hot day and it does the slipping i think my D light on the shift indicator will flash or go off...but not a 100% sure as im more focused on the road than whats going on, on my dash other than when it slips and i look down to see the rpms revving out
Old 09-04-2013 | 06:23 PM
AVB for President!

Happened to me in 2011... Got ACS to goodwill about 83% of it. At the time I was quoted ~$5000, so I had to still pay a bit over $800. I think at the end of the day the "goodwill price" still allows them to not lose a single cent.

And yes, mine went at 106K, and it started happening EXACTLY the same way as the OP's TL. No warning, nothing. And I even followed all of the maintenance items to a T.
Old 09-04-2013 | 06:25 PM
AVB for President!

And yes, the class action against Honda essentially allows for a 5% increase in warranty. So my 7/100 became 7/105. Even the extra "5k" couldn't save me as the transmission went out at 106. F*CK.
Old 09-04-2013 | 10:20 PM
Dallas Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Originally Posted by BOSSTLtypes-S
OK so i fig this is the perfect thread to ask sorry to high jack as i am also noticing issues with my transmission once in a blue moon when i really beat up on it....ill be punching it in 3rd gear (AT), and ill be getting close the 6500 and all of a sudden the tranny/torque converter slips and it just revvs out to 7k with no acceleration from the vehicle, now it doesnt do it all the time but it deff does happen and im at 75k in mileage, and i have a mixture of tranny fluid from the dealerhsip and lucas transmissions fluid (ive used lucas before on all my previous cars and they have been nothing but butter smoothed shifts and no issues watsoever, and its lucas one of the TOP brands out there, its dam good stuff. so thats why i threw in some lucas tranny as well) so my concern is will they say because i used lucas transmission oil in my tranny that it will void the warranty. If so how good are they at detecting that i have used a different fluid if i was to do the 3x3 tranny fluid flush/change?.

How fast do you think i should jump on this.
when i drive the car normal and not get on it, on a hot day, it will drive just fine....and i swear when i do get on it and it does push the transmission on a hot day and it does the slipping i think my D light on the shift indicator will flash or go off...but not a 100% sure as im more focused on the road than whats going on, on my dash other than when it slips and i look down to see the rpms revving out
The dealer cannot detect aftermarket fluid unless it is a different color. We have no special tools to do so, just check the dip stick. If your worried. Do a 1x3 of atf dw1 before you take it in. NEVER admit to using anything but oem, if they ask you, tell them you've always used oem fluid. Trust me, it works every time. The dealer is not going to point a finger at you unless its blunt. If your "D" is flashing then your slipping. Your fluid isnt going to make it slip like that at high rpm, it would happen at all rpm depending on the gear your in. ONe the clutch material is worn off, then all you have is the "steels" rubbing together. MAJOR SLIPPAGE THEN! Time to take it in buddy! Best of luck!
Old 09-04-2013 | 10:25 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by ggesq
900 bucks is not bad BUT I still believe they should cover you 100% given your service history and their incompetence in failing to properly diagnose the problem when the car was in warranty.
That $900 is including the towing. Hoping to get it reimbursed. Or else its $540.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I agree, worst case scenario here is still pretty darn good. Meko is going through something similar and he was ecstatic to pay $1600! Different circumstance, obvi.
Update is that, I'm waiting on an answer to get the twoing reimbursed and I said I'll probably accept the $540 offer, eventhough i shouldn't. I just don't have the time to drag this on. I need my car.

Originally Posted by TLTrance
And yes, the class action against Honda essentially allows for a 5% increase in warranty. So my 7/100 became 7/105. Even the extra "5k" couldn't save me as the transmission went out at 106. F*CK.
When they agree to all these warranty extensions in the class action law suits, corporate is smart too. You don't think they have figures as to know exactly which part of the curve majority of the trannies fail at? Based on their statistics they'll set the end periord for the warranty. Its not a coincidence we both had 106k failures.
Old 09-05-2013 | 12:23 AM
Team Owner

With the pressure switches causing many, many failures, it's possible many transmissions fail around the same time. There's no hard failure of anything. The pressure switch gets out of calibration over time causing shift and throttle timing issues. The switches rarely if ever get bad enough to throw a code. The result of the switches being out of calibration over time is usually prematurely worn 3rd gear clutches and sometimes 4th gear, and sometimes torque converter clutch wear. The switches ensure the mechanicals will have a limited life span if they're not changed out every few years.
Old 09-06-2013 | 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

^ I'm glad you brought that up, I need to change mine out again it's been about 50-55k miles.
Old 09-06-2013 | 09:15 AM
Advanced

So the offer they have put on the table is they pay 65% and I pay 35%. Even though 65% is a lot, 35% is also a big chunk for me. I'm going to contact the manager myself tomorrow and ask their reasoning for coming up with that figure and their explanation as to why despite having this problem well before warranty expiration, I do not qualify for 100% and proceed from there. I will also get dollar values tommorrow as well and post up.

So far I have no qualms with the dealership. At the dealership level they have been stellar. My fight is with Honda/Acura corporate. Lets see what a new day brings...
Sounds like your dealer is really stepping up to the plate for you Best of luck with getting Honda to honor the warranty, hopefully, they'll do the right thing.
Old 09-06-2013 | 10:38 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

They denied full coverage. Im basically paying $540 + $250 for the towing. Basically close to $800 for something that shouldve been done for free under warranty. I took the offer because I need my car back but I will be pursuing legal advice and see what can be done. Im very saddened at how Honda/Acura handled my case and situation. Brand loyalty didn't play a part imo.
Old 09-07-2013 | 12:15 AM
Team Owner

They denied full coverage. Im basically paying $540 + $250 for the towing. Basically close to $800 for something that shouldve been done for free under warranty. I took the offer because I need my car back but I will be pursuing legal advice and see what can be done. Im very saddened at how Honda/Acura handled my case and situation. Brand loyalty didn't play a part imo.
I think you made the right decision. Stick with it. I had a Bodyshop that was a complete nightmare. What made them straighten out was going for their business license. I had to get really nasty with them but they endangered my life twice and refused to fix it. You will get your way eventually.
Old 09-15-2013 | 11:16 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

FINAL OUTCOME:

So after I got Honda/Acura Corporate to foot 90% of the bill and the remaining 10% came out to $500... when I went to the dealership (Paragon Acura in Queens) I spoke to the service manager, who was already aware of my case. I explained to him my loyalty to that dealership and the cars I purchased over the years and also my service history. I asked him to give me some assistance at the dealership level. He then offered me two options:

Option 1

Pay Nothing and Have no warranty on Transmission

Option 2

Split the difference ... so I pay $250 and get a 3 years 36k mile warranty on transmission. I chose option 2 for peace of mind. TL has a new (remanufactured) tranny now and it drives once again.

This thread is to help anyone else in my situation. Just be persistent.
Old 09-15-2013 | 11:33 AM
-------Tim-------

^Glad that they stepped up for you! I also believe your persistence paid off! Good choice on the Option #2! Let us know how the car feels.
Old 09-15-2013 | 12:06 PM

Old 09-15-2013 | 12:29 PM
Team Owner

Good job. Did you get that other mod done too?

Quick Reply: Another Transmission Takes a Dump at 106k