Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another LONG 1 Month Review - '05 5AT w/ Navi

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another LONG 1 Month Review - '05 5AT w/ Navi

Well today is 1 month and 900 miles since I took delivery of my '05 TL. This is my attempt to share my observations, some are redundant to other posts (or affirmations) some in contrast to other posts. Yes, I have SEARCHED for a 1 month review on my TL, but I could not find one.

Why I chose the TL: Handsome, sophisticated styling. I find this car is more interesting 'in person' then in photographs. Power, performance, luxury & technology attributes at what I summize a best value for the price range I shopped (30K<>40K). My insurance halved (from an '02 SUV), better fuel economy (than the SUV) and the Acura brand along with quality & service expectations. I am pleased with the kudos from Consumers and the TL's crash test results (those poor test cars).

Where I find the TL misses (for my needs): No fold down rear seat, rear doors make a tight entry / exit, occaisional FWD shortcomings, incorporating MID into Navi display, doors swing shut too easily and numerous reports on interior rattles (paranoid ).

Driving: After driving a clumsy, fuel inefficient SUV for 8 years the TL easily exceeds my performance / handling expectations. I find the engine turbine-like smooth. I am impressed with the balance of power, economy and ULEV2. My mileage has risen from 22mpg / tank to 25mpg / tank average in my mixed driving / commute. I have yet to take a long highway cruise to see higher numbers, but would expect them. Auto Climate is off as well, so summertime mileage may drop (using 93 octane). Handling again exceeds my expectations and the FWD configuration does not detract from the TL in the manner I drive it. It is not my 1st FWD auto (a '91 Eagle Talon TSi) so I am acclimated to FWD characteristics. I have yet to exercise the auto stick, but I like the fluid shifts in the TL auto tran.

Steering is nicely weighted, on center and no drift for me. Brakes are very good, although I'd prefer a slight firmer brake pedal feel. I have not noticed any driveline vibration (even being primed to expect it) and I find my TL cruises better at 80mph than at 50mph....smooth, silky and minimal wind noise. I have noticed a slight 1/4 mile 'warm up' on the Michelins on a few colder mornings. I would not call it a vibration, more a tremble that disappates very shortly after getting above 45mph. When I first noticed it, I thought "Driveline Vibration!" , but it quicky disappeared and did not return when I reduced back into the 50-60mph speed. Further, it only happened after the car sat overnight imto a cold morning, or when leaving the office directly onto the freeway onramp but at no other times, so I resolve myself to the characteristics of the low profile tires. On all other roads, speeds and dry / wet condition, I am satisfied with the Michelins, but do hope the positive traits do not deteriorate too quickly. I have never been pleased with OEM tires on any new car I have owned. I think when replacements are due, a summer tire or a smooth / quiet touring tire will be my options, but that should be some time off!

Build & Finish: Overall I am more pleased with the style and most materials. I cannot say I am awed by Acura quality. After 2 washings, I have a short list of what I would consider build or finish flaws. I feel the glovebox could be better aligned. Partly due to the arch of the dash and the black / parch divide line at the seem, maybe it is more illusion (or I am just being anal). I found one 'fisheye' in the paint on the very lower part of the rear pax door. Minor, but Acura spends a lot of brochoure time on the paint process and engineering precision. QA should have easliy found the paint 'fisheye'. So far I am rattle & tick free, but I do have a periodic squeak / chirp I cannot determine where in the cabin it comes from. It occurs on warmer, muggy days, perhaps in the rear of the cabin and I would suspect it is an expansion / contraction between rubber / plastic components. If this is my most notable flaw, I'll be grateful. If it does not cure itself in the warming weather, I'll likely wait until my 1st service visit to remedy. (Wait, do I get a free car was if I go in one day just to find the mystery canary???) No butt prints to note (I am 6'3'' 240# so we'll see if they hold up!).

Features: I surprised myself. I initally did not want Navi, and was not really interested in an XM subscription. Along with the HFL, these 3 features are my favorites. I am glad I took the plunge and ordered the Navi. I have yet to listen to a tune on FM or anything on AM (is there really a cassette deck too?). I really enjoy the XM & DVD-a features. My Homelink, Mem 1 & 2 all work fine. I need to take a remedial voice command course as I have found myself using very few of these (more out of novelty than necessity). The feel of the buttons and dials gives me more pleasure. Leaving the Navi voice on, I find myself replying... 'yes ma'am'.

Cleaning: Yep, the RRP likes dust...especially Florida's heavy pollen season (RRP = Really, Really Pollentated). It is certainly easier to clean then my SUV. Those microfiber towels are great for dusting, especially inside & the Navi Screen. I have not waxed yet, but use Mothers minute detailer after washing. Lexol for the interior, and I found the Lexol plastic / vinyl cleaner excellent 'setting' the interior black trim. The new plastic filminess is gone, and the black trim is deep black again, no shine, no greasy feel....good stuff. It was also great to use on all the black window frame surrounds & weatherstripping. Cleaning inside the wheel wells is tight as the wheels fill that space with little room for my hand or brush.

Mods: I am pretty much a stock guy. I did opt for 2 mods. I installed the blue LED interior lights. I like, but kept the origianl bulbs should I tire of it. And I did order a plood kit just for the door pieces. The only area I felt was overlooked in wood trim was the window switch covers on the 4 doors. Those are the only pieces I added. This of course, is a matter of personal taste. (But I do have the remaining plood kit if anyone should need a particular piece). No other mods have been made, and factory accessories were limited to mud guards and wheel locks. I am still debating over window tint, but may wait for summer to decide that need.

Summary: This is the nicest car I have owned. I still feel it is the best value in the range I was seeking. Even if AWD was an option at this point, I'd likely settle for FWD here in Florida. If AWD was standard, I certainly would not protest. My initial 'get aquainted' period with my TL has been unlike any other new car I have purchased. One reason being I had a loaner '04 TL for nearly 3 weeks awaiting arrival of my '05 TL. My 'training wheels' tought me about the car and I was reasonably aquainted by the time my '05 arrived. As a result, I feel like I have been driving this car a lot longer. Maybe not feeling that 'new carness' as much as just grown very comfortable, very quickly. Another factor is this board. Not only did it help me determine my purchase (and when), but assisted with my my delivery process and even some of my expectations. In some cases it can get silly. (was THAT the rattle I read about? ....no, it was just my house keys in the cup holder.) But my attention to this car and my attention to this board makes my closing statement....

I LOVE MY TL.

Cheers!

(Disclaimer: For those with opposing views and contradictory experiences, I have donned my flame retardent Acura polo <available @ the Acura Store>)
Old 03-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent review....agree with you on most points....congrats and enjoy your ride.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Very very good one. Thanks for sharing.

We got pretty similar experiences in why to choose TL and what else TL should have...
Old 03-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Great review!

But how could you not have exercised the sportshift? That baby gets exercised everytime I leave the garage and mine is only 2 weeks old!!!
Old 03-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TerminaderTL
Great review!

But how could you not have exercised the sportshift? That baby gets exercised everytime I leave the garage and mine is only 2 weeks old!!!
My momma told me I would go blind.....

I wanted to break in under routine driving conditions and I am just systematic on how I familiarize myself with the TLs features. I DO plan to become aquainted with my stick , but waiting for the right driving conditions so I can focus on it's characteristics. Something tells me you think I am in for a thrill!
Old 03-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Future 07 TLS Team Member

Nice review! Helpful and well rounded... I'm a couple weeks away from leaving the lot with my TL and I am (once again) inspired... and excited!
Old 03-12-2005, 02:43 AM
Advanced

Great write up....ever think of working for Car and Driver? You are pretty much dead on with everthing. 05 TL silver/ebony, navi,5at,18"chrome(not chrome like) a-spec wheels, 4 hours new 26 miles!!!!
Old 03-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Advanced

That was a great reivew, now I'm really excited as I pick mine up in three hours. I have been waiting for a whole year. I'm turning in a 2001 CL Navi for it.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Fast Lavey
Great write up....ever think of working for Car and Driver? You are pretty much dead on with everthing. 05 TL silver/ebony, navi,5at,18"chrome(not chrome like) a-spec wheels, 4 hours new 26 miles!!!!
Why Thanks Fast Lavey! I am flattered. Now THAT is an idea. Do you think you could give em a call & set it up for me? I'll give ya a cut of the benefits! I hope they would not mind my late night / early morning too-much-caffeine typos!

Mike
Old 03-12-2005, 08:56 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Thumbs up

Great review TampaMike!

I agree with you about plooding the doors' window switches, but maybe you should consider adding that long piece that goes above the glovebox and the rectangular one that goes around the beverage holder on the console. For me, these really even out the 'filling in what Acura left out' look. Click on Wooddash Pics on my signaute below. Who's kit did you order?
Old 03-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DMZ
Great review TampaMike!

I agree with you about plooding the doors' window switches, but maybe you should consider adding that long piece that goes above the glovebox and the rectangular one that goes around the beverage holder on the console. For me, these really even out the 'filling in what Acura left out' look. Click on Wooddash Pics on my signaute below. Who's kit did you order?
Thanks DMZ. I got my plood kit from WoodDashExperts. It was a basic kit. I have toyed with the console surround, even placed it on (dry fit) for a day to see how'd I'd like it. Even considered the VSA switch cover, but decided to leave them off (at least for now). For me, the window switch covers were the most glaring areas that looked unfinished to me. I guess it's like chilli....we all have an opinion how spicey it should be.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Racer

Talking AutoStick addition to my Review

OK, I finally did it. I autosticked my way to work. I hit 1000 miles and thought I was ready to give her a flip. I LOVE that thing. I suspect that I may change my driving habits. What a cool option to have. Now, if I can just get my right hand from twitching I might not make sooooo many typos!

The nice thing about systematically learning the TL features, is each day I feel like I found a new toy.

<flip up>
*poof*
Old 03-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
huh...

Originally Posted by Fast Lavey

but his last ride was a SUV ... lol have to compare apples to apples....

I also think that if you get a new car every 2-3 as some do and go from the 1g -2g -3g you get a better idea of what has improved and what has not... Comparing a TL to an SUV and a 91 talon is no comparison really...
Old 03-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mickey3c
but his last ride was a SUV ... lol have to compare apples to apples....

I also think that if you get a new car every 2-3 as some do and go from the 1g -2g -3g you get a better idea of what has improved and what has not... Comparing a TL to an SUV and a 91 talon is no comparison really...
I did not read his comment as a compliment on my comparisions to my former SUV & Talon. In fact I was not comparing them (only mentioning them). I believe his compliment was on my observations of the TL. Aside from typos, I cannot fault my review as a comparison to 2 totally unrelated vehicles.

Compliment accepted, Fast Lavey.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,288 Likes on 2,646 Posts
Nice review, better and more detailed than my one month review!
Old 03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Good Review Mike...

I am still rattle free..so I guess RRP are doing good...I have had mine for about the same amount of time as you. I do have minor swirl marks and scratches that I have to take out, Exceldetail has been helping me pick the right products to make the car look brand new again. But besides that car is perfect.

I am still waiting for another 200 miles (currently at 800) before pushing the car to its limits and using the Sports Shift.

But overall its a great car...

Have Fun!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Perfect description of the Michelin tires. After a mile or so on the highway, the tires are round again. Great review.

Bob
Old 03-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Great review, that just about sums up my feelings on the TL also. I had a number of minor interior problems in the first few months (drooping felt on the 3rd brake light, speaker rattle, door lock plastic coming off), but they were all fixed quickly and I was given a number of nice loaner cars during the wait. Since the last fix, the car has been virtually flawless. I'm very happy with it, although I noticed the new Mercedes C will be getting the 3.5 liter 268hp engine, which is pretty tempting in its own right.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Advanced

I, too, enjoyed your detailed review, and I pretty much agree with everything you said. I've had my RRP for a month now (1100 miles so far) and so far it's been totally flawless and a real joy to drive. Must be the color! In fact, I look forward to commuting to work each day because I get to drive my car! As you can see, I'm really smitten with my TL... I love it!!!!!!!