AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   Amsoil ATF or Amsoil ATD??? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/amsoil-atf-amsoil-atd-715204/)

Basit06TL 03-14-2009 01:36 PM

Amsoil ATF or Amsoil ATD???

Hey guys I was looking to do the 3x3 tranny flush on my 06 w/ 55k miles on it and was wondering which Amsoil fluid to pick up. I searched some threads and noticed a few guys are using the ATD but idk which one is the correct one. The amsoil website shows ATF and ATD?? :shrug:

Whats the difference between the ATF and ATD, and any benefits of using one over the other?

I did a 3x3 flush at around 25/30k miles but I used OEM fluid at that time. thanks for any input!

QuickRick 03-14-2009 11:44 PM

Amsoil Universal ATF

B,

I can't speak to ATD, but I use Universal Amsoil ATF because RoadRage recommended it years ago.....I trusted his rationale.

This fluid is the only non-Honda fluid I've seen made to replace Z1 and it can withstand heat far better. Apparently the friction coefficient is similar so no difference in shifting will result.

After having automatic transaxle troubles with my previous gen TL-Type S, I wanted a better chance via a higher rated temperature fluid. Heat seems to do more damage than anything else says RoadRage, and he said Acuras have small sumps.

QuickRick :thumbsup:

knavinusa 03-15-2009 12:12 AM

AFAIK only one user on this forum has ever tried ATD and he claims it gives slightly faster shifts and it's still working fine after 50k+ miles.

csmeance 03-15-2009 12:43 AM

atd is meant for heavy duty vehicles/trucks and not for passenger vehicles. I suggest you stick with the honda fluid as amsoil may not meet honda ATF's specs and cause trans failure according to the dealer.

TL|GTX 03-15-2009 11:48 AM

Can people with AT trannys use that GM stuff ppl use for the MT Trannys for the TL?

Bearcat94 03-15-2009 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by TL|GTX (Post 10642771)
Can people with AT trannys use that GM stuff ppl use for the MT Trannys for the TL?

No.

People with AT's should use Honda/Acura ATF.

QuickRick 03-15-2009 12:13 PM

Amsoil ATF- recommended for Honda cars

Guys,

No legal worries about using Amsoil ATF, it's synthetic and on the back it states it is made to replace Z1. It is red like Honda fluid to boot.....this means legally you are in the clear to use a better product.

QR

QuickRick 03-26-2009 09:17 PM

Guys,

I listened to RoadRage, he is an engineer, and he masterfully explains why you don't always have to use Honda Z1 ATF. You should use the right fluid however.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=roadrage

QR

Turbonut 03-27-2009 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuickRick (Post 10642816)
Guys,

No legal worries about using Amsoil ATF, it's synthetic and on the back it states it is made to replace Z1. It is red like Honda fluid to boot.....this means legally you are in the clear to use a better product.

QR

Yup, it's red so it's safe to us as a replacement for the Z1 fluid! You're not serious.

Originally Posted by QuickRick (Post 10696289)
Guys,

I listened to RoadRage, he is an engineer, and he masterfully explains why you don't always have to use Honda Z1 ATF. You should use the right fluid however.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=roadrage

QR

As this SAE article takes a completely different view compared to the above engineer, I’ll post it again:

SAE papers are unbiased, and they have to go through a peer review process before they are published.

Comparison of OEM Automatic Transmission Fluids in Industry Standard Tests
Document Number: 2007-01-3987

Date Published: October 2007

Abstract:
As a result of raised awareness regarding the proliferation of individual OEM-recommended ATFs, and discussion in various forums regarding the possibility of "universal" service fill fluids, it was decided to study how divergent individual OEM requirements actually are by comparing the fluids performance in industry standard tests.

A bench-mark study was carried out to compare the performance of various OEM automatic transmission fluids in selected industry standard tests. All of the fluids evaluated in the study are used by certain OEMs for both factory and service fill. The areas evaluated included friction durability, oxidation resistance, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control. The results of this study are discussed in this paper. Based on the results, one can conclude that each ATF is uniquely formulated to specific OEM requirements. In addition, the results show that a customer should not deviate from the automatic transmission fluid specified in the vehicle's owners manual.
$15 and you can have the full article.

It's your car, do what you see fit.

Majofo 03-27-2009 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Turbonut (Post 10697793)
Yup, it's red so it's safe to us as a replacement for the Z1 fluid! You're not serious.

I think he was just making an observational input.. plus if his tranny were to take a dump and they drain it.. assuming the miles are low and the fluid hasn't turned.. they wouldn't scrutinize the fluid.. not that they could because it's approved to replace Z1.

Turbonut 03-27-2009 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Majofo (Post 10697996)
I think he was just making an observational input.. plus if his tranny were to take a dump and they drain it.. assuming the miles are low and the fluid hasn't turned.. they wouldn't scrutinize the fluid.. not that they could because it's approved to replace Z1.

Never thought of it that way, so I hope you are right.

Majofo 03-27-2009 11:17 AM

It's such a pain to think about these tranny's... If mine takes a dump again I'm gonna go fred flinstone and invest in some good nike's. That'll be the ultimate TL Diet.

The next thread will be Need New Tranny - Nike or New Balance..

on a serious note.. you guys should be thinking more about Ext. ATF Coolers.. If you noticed, Acura wised up and put one on the 4G..

tech_rcd 03-27-2009 03:00 PM

Amsoil ATF is a far superior fluid to Honda's. Heat is the enemy of any transmission. Amsoil ATF has a lower friction coefficient and better cold weather flow than any concentional fluid. Please don't take my word for it do your own research and you will find out for yourself. Amsoil is better for your car than Honda fluid.

Turbonut 03-27-2009 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by tech_rcd (Post 10699738)
Amsoil ATF is a far superior fluid to Honda's. Heat is the enemy of any transmission. Amsoil ATF has a lower friction coefficient and better cold weather flow than any concentional fluid. Please don't take my word for it do your own research and you will find out for yourself. Amsoil is better for your car than Honda fluid.

TAN actually went up using Amsoil.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1085841

I guess it's all in the numbers one uses.
Still haven't seen any proof that transmission failures were the direct result of inferior fluid when using Z1.