Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I Over-reacting with Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 09:11 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I Over-reacting with Dealer?

I have waited for 11 months to vent my frustration. I had my 04 TL in for PA State Inspection last Monday. When my car was finished, I was shown that the mechanic had scratched the left front wheel badly enough that it needs repainting. As usual, the car had "kick" marks, and grease on the doors and floor area. I have had the car in 3 times in the past 11 months and 2 of the 3 times the car was returned looking as though the mechanic that serviced it was dipped in grease.

I just sent a letter to the service manager outlining my concerns. I stated that the quality of this service is unacceptable and I am a little ticked that I will be inconvenienced that I will have to bring the car back in to fix damage that they caused.

I am a little "anal" regarding the upkeep of my cars....they are always clean. I'm sure many of you can relate to this.

I live in the economically challenged Pittsburgh area and the other dealer for Acura is just too far away for me to evaluate their service.

I do, however, really love the car and have had no problems with it other than those caused by the dealer.

Thanks for listening.

Hank Z
Old 02-16-2005, 09:20 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being another Burgh guy, and noticing your location... I can say that I've had nothing but good experiences with Acura in the South Hills, and have heard almost nothing good about the Acura dealer in Wexford...

When getting my car at Spitzer, they could not have stressed more how proud they were of their specific service department and how many awards they had won for this and that...

I understand it's a longer drive, but for the couple times a year you might be there, perhaps it is worth it?

And my , yes you absolutely have the right to be ticked... I TOTALLY would be going nuts by now.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you really need to voice your concerns....don't just speak to the service manager, but contact the dealership manager...when you start speaking/talking with the "big dogs", then only you are going to see some shit happening...

consider the service guys as "little dogs"...speaking/talking to them won't do you any good...but when the "big dog" contacts the "little dog", the "little dog" starts to worry about his/her job and that's when they really get their act straight...

it also really pisses me off that these service guys are not 100% efficient as they should be...just because it's not their car, doesn't mean that they can't be careful...it's someone else's hard earned money and they have no respect for that...it's a shame...people like that shouldn't exist in this world!!! no respect for other people and their belongings...selfish sons' of bishes...
Old 02-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Banned

Agree. To a legitimate dealer, especially an Acura dealer, it is unforgiveable to deliver a car back to a customer that is greasy and/or damaged. Plus, you take care of your car (and they can see that.)

Would think a letter to Honda of America is appropriate. They need a wake-up call! My worth.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Racer

Listen, this is YOUR car... not their car.

If they damage your car or really screw it up (smudging grease on the inside would qualify in my opinion), then you have every right to go nuts on them.

It amazes me how some dealerships treat their customers.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
This may be stating the obvious, but upon taking delivery of your newly serviced car, did you notice the problems then? If so, did you address them on the spot and have someone take care of the problem right away? That's always worked best in situations where I've ran into crappy service - especially when they know it had to have been their guys who messed up your car as it hasn't even left the service point yet.

Just my $0.02.

I feel for ya though......sucks to have your ride messed up by the grease jockey.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm Baaack!

Gee .. you drop your car off to trained "professionals" and expect it to be returned in as good as or better condition ... yeah man I think your expectations are way too high ... (sarcasm for the less intuitive of the bunch)

I'd definitely ring the bell of the GM or owner and let 'em know their service department is damaging the relationship.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:42 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Tripp11
This may be stating the obvious, but upon taking delivery of your newly serviced car, did you notice the problems then? If so, did you address them on the spot and have someone take care of the problem right away? That's always worked best in situations where I've ran into crappy service - especially when they know it had to have been their guys who messed up your car as it hasn't even left the service point yet.

Just my $0.02.

I feel for ya though......sucks to have your ride messed up by the grease jockey.

I always give the car (and all my cars) a quick once-over before I leave the dealership. This time I got caught up in the scratched wheel issue and did not pay much attention to anything else. I only noticed the other problems once I got the car home. I will take everyone's advice and send a copy of my letter to the owner of the dealership....thanks to all for your input.

-Hank Z
Old 02-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My Dealer down in FL,the one i got my car from and the one i take her to, always wash and detail for free no matter what you bring it in for. not bragging or anything that is messed up though
Old 02-16-2005, 12:00 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
First time I get screwed "Shame on you", second time "Shame on me".

You should get in touch with upper management at the dealer and Honda/Acura. But you should also check the car out after service/before you leave the dealership. Also, when brining it in treat it like a rental; go over interior and exterior with service writer noting the condition and write down any problems in advance.

If that doesn't help, make a decision - It's a crappy dealer but there is another better one some distance away. Try making an appointment well in advance and secure a loaner. Take the car in the night before or whatever it takes. Hope some of these ideas help.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Instructor

is baierl really that bad? i feel like they stress good service too with all their surveys and other crap...i just went once and they seemed alright...my local dealer is out of state so i'm trying to find a good place in pittsburgh. any more comments from others?
Old 02-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work as a service adviser at an acura dealer and i personally pride myself in attempting to provide the highest level of service to my customers. I think you are better off contacting the service manager than contacting Acura direct, they do tend to be less farmiliar with the particular situation. We train our personnel that wash and clean the cars to specifically look for items that may have been overlooked (i.e. Forgotten Maint Reqd. lights, scuff marks, scratches, etc) so that they can point it out to us advisers so that it can be made right before you come to pick up your vehicle. While mistakes do happen remedies should be made before the vehicle ever leaves the dealer. There is a reason that my customers pay me $98/hr to work on there car as opposed to taking there car to midas, and that reason is that I have factory trained, certified, and experienced technicians that 99% provide the highest level of service possible and will take every effort to duplicate and resolve any and all customer concerns. For god sakes i sent a set of rotors to a body shop to be repainted cause they were corroding (which is normal on like 98% of cars). Do look your vehicle over when you take delivery of your car because i can be honest we are not perfect nor are any of you but we would much rather wow you with the way we respond to the situation than have you write a letter to acura. Now, on the other hand if the dealership is not making an attempt to rectify the situation IMMEDIATELY then a letter to upper management and/or the manufacturer is warranted. I don't think you are being everly picky and i would not want to know any of my customers left with problems like this. In short take this up with the service manager of that dealership and if you do find a technician that you really like and has done very good work on the car be sure to ask for him/her everytime you have your vehicle serviced (realize this may make the repair/maintenance visit take a bit longer and may push the schedule to get in out a little further).
Old 02-16-2005, 10:28 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by acuraservice
I work as a service adviser at an acura dealer and i personally pride myself in attempting to provide the highest level of service to my customers. I think you are better off contacting the service manager than contacting Acura direct, they do tend to be less farmiliar with the particular situation. We train our personnel that wash and clean the cars to specifically look for items that may have been overlooked (i.e. Forgotten Maint Reqd. lights, scuff marks, scratches, etc) so that they can point it out to us advisers so that it can be made right before you come to pick up your vehicle. While mistakes do happen remedies should be made before the vehicle ever leaves the dealer. There is a reason that my customers pay me $98/hr to work on there car as opposed to taking there car to midas, and that reason is that I have factory trained, certified, and experienced technicians that 99% provide the highest level of service possible and will take every effort to duplicate and resolve any and all customer concerns. For god sakes i sent a set of rotors to a body shop to be repainted cause they were corroding (which is normal on like 98% of cars). Do look your vehicle over when you take delivery of your car because i can be honest we are not perfect nor are any of you but we would much rather wow you with the way we respond to the situation than have you write a letter to acura. Now, on the other hand if the dealership is not making an attempt to rectify the situation IMMEDIATELY then a letter to upper management and/or the manufacturer is warranted. I don't think you are being everly picky and i would not want to know any of my customers left with problems like this. In short take this up with the service manager of that dealership and if you do find a technician that you really like and has done very good work on the car be sure to ask for him/her everytime you have your vehicle serviced (realize this may make the repair/maintenance visit take a bit longer and may push the schedule to get in out a little further).
Thanks for your feedback. Too bad you're not a service advisor near me!