Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Harvest day sucks....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment off?

After taking delivery of my TL a week ago, yesterday I finally had the opportunity to take it out on the highway at speed (crappy snowfall limited my speeds previously).

From 50-75mph the car vibrates terribly. At first I thought it was the flatspotting of the crap stock tires, however it didn't go away after 30 miles.

The car also pulls somewhat strongly to the left.

Has anyone taken delivery of the TL that needed an alignment? I find it odd that my car would leave the factory in need of an alignment.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Alignment off?

Originally posted by Corn
After taking delivery of my TL a week ago, yesterday I finally had the opportunity to take it out on the highway at speed (crappy snowfall limited my speeds previously).

From 50-75mph the car vibrates terribly. At first I thought it was the flatspotting of the crap stock tires, however it didn't go away after 30 miles.

The car also pulls somewhat strongly to the left.

Has anyone taken delivery of the TL that needed an alignment? I find it odd that my car would leave the factory in need of an alignment.
A few peeps on here had to bring back their TL's for alignment. Do a search for "pulling" or "alignment' and you'll find some threads on this particular issue.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Some EL 42's had flat spots from shipping with low tire pres and they never go away even after long drives...
Old 01-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Cruisin'

Check your tire pressure. I was experiencing the pulling and read somewhere that it can occur if the front pressure is not equal. Mine was equal but about 3 psi under inflated. When I raised the pressure to 35 psi the pulling stopped and the overall handling greatly improved. BTW I have HPT's.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:26 PM
What's a TL?

I have also heard of a few people that simply took the car back to the dealer for a re-alignment and everything worked out fine
Old 01-30-2004, 03:43 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
my car had a severe alignment problem but it wasn't corrected until a 3800 mile service.

vibration still between 50 and 75 (albeit less so), but steering wheel doesn't try to "hunt" left and right above 80.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Intermediate

I have noticed the vibration between 50 and 60 during the first 5 minutes of driving. After that everything seems to smooth out. I also have notice the pulling to the left. However, it does not happen all the time (or I do not notice it anyway). I have not taken back to the dealer for alignment.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

My TL is pulling somewhat to the right. It also has some vibrations at around 50 mph and 80 mph.

I will check the air pressure this weekend.

The car just turned 1000 miles today! I was planning on having the alignment checked at the first service/oil change. The Oil life indicator just went down to 80% yesterday.

I've read in other posts here that pulling went away when the EL42s were replaced. I'm a little concerned about changing the factory alignment if the problem is really the crummy EL42 tires.

It is really disappointing to have all these tire related problems on an otherwise perfect car. These are the only problems I've found with the car.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I had my alignment done, but it did not help, it is the crummy EL-42's.

Also, make sure that they REALLY have the program for the hunter or other brand alignement machines, as HUNTER has not equiped their machines with the 2004 specs yet, and you wind up getting the car done to 2003 specs which reduces the cornering (camber is more positive afterwards)!

They can not enter the specs manually.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:57 PM
Advanced

Well, I'll try to make this short, but...
In Dec I had Potenza SO-3s installed at my local Bridgestone tire dealer. Likeeveryone else I hatted th EL-42s. Everything was great for about hte first 50 miles, then I started to notice a moderate pull to the right...at all times. It did not matter what speed, or if I was on the right or left crown. Sooo....I went back to Bridgestone on my next day off (200 miles by this time). They said that after some internal debate that they would not attempt to check the alignment because their machine did not have the settings. Sooo....then I set up an apointment w/Acura dealer. (now up to 500miles on tires) They checked alignment and said nothing was wrong. They cross rotated my tires and said the pulling followed to the left. They suggested that I go back to Bridgestone. OK...Sooo...now I go to tell Bridgestone about "radial pull" in the right side tires. So Bridgestone orders 2 new tires for the right side. Mid Dec. after 2 weeks I had to call to see if my tires wer in....guess what NO. So...holding my cool I stated that they should get my replacement tire ASAP and that I would be in on my next off day. (up to 800 miles on first set of tires) Now at mid Jan I fianally get two right side replacement tires. Guess what...it still pulls to the right, AND with out asking me first Bridgestone checks the alignment (using '03 specs????). They say the alignment IS off. They show me a print-out with the rear toe in bold. This is suposed to mean that it is out. SO...now back to Acura dealer. (after setting an appointment of course) Now end of Jan and my car still does not drive straight. Anyway Acura keeps it for a full day that I would ahve rather had MY car (B'Day), and they say its the tires. They did however manager to get the pull out by moving both fronts (left older right newer) to the rear. My question is should I now go BACK ro Bridgestone to get left tires replaced, or all tires replaced , or what? I konw that the SO-3 is a great tire (had it on a prevoius car with NO problems) but this is rediculous. I wonder if something is wrong with my car. I wonder if something is wrong with my tires. $800 is a lot of dam money. Other than pulling, my car drives 100% better with the EL-42s gone!

P.S. I told the dealer that they/Acura owed my at least $800 for all this SHlT. Sorry. And that they could have the CRAPANZA EL-42s back. Hopefull to shreed them, as I hope that no one else has to go through this since Acura decided to get cheap in the most critical of areas.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:08 AM
Advanced

SORRY for all the typing errors.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Advanced

I really think you shall try to put the rear to the front and try again....just to see if that's the tire

Also, if you always drive on the right side of the high way, the car will pull to the right because of the curve of road, just like my car always pull to the left if I drive on left lane.

Originally posted by Chplummer
Well, I'll try to make this short, but...
In Dec I had Potenza SO-3s installed at my local Bridgestone tire dealer. Likeeveryone else I hatted th EL-42s. Everything was great for about hte first 50 miles, then I started to notice a moderate pull to the right...at all times. It did not matter what speed, or if I was on the right or left crown. Sooo....I went back.....
Old 02-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had the alignment issue on my car too!

It's better after the dealer aligned, checked tire pressure, and straightened the steering wheel.

Don't understand how it got out of the factory in this condition!!!! Good question.