Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter change

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Filter change

I know this subject has been covered before but I have a new "twist" to the airfilter issue. Since I've owned my TL, I've been having the oil analysis done by Blackstone Labs. TD has been doing the personal reports for me and suggested from the results of my lab work, that it appears my airfilter is causing problems with the oil. There is fuel dilution, and some dirt or particles in the oil. Not a major problem, but he suggested I change the filter. I've had my car for almost 2 years, but I've only got 7000 miles on the OD. Can the filter possibly be dirty this quick with such low mileage? I don't drive it on dusty roads or in bad weather. I'm still using the factory new filter. Also, which filter would you guys recommend. I'm not too concerned about "fancy" filters that promise more power, I just want something to protect my engine. I care more about the engine than any extra power I might get from some aftermarket "high-performance" filter. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Steve
Old 01-18-2006, 11:43 AM
HMFIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's probably more of a fit issue. A clogged filter would allow even fewer particles through. The filter may not fit perfectly and may be allowing dirt through the sides where it seals against the airbox.

I would check that and clean/lube the air filter seal with a silcone product before throwing out such a new filter.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Instructor

No, Never Use Silicon Products Around/in Your Engine Sensor Damage Will Result!!!!
Old 01-18-2006, 05:56 PM
HMFIC

I understand that MAF sensors can be contaminated by silicone and dirt, oil, spider webs and a bunch of other things.

I'm not advocating spraying the intake track with silicone spray. I don't see how a little on a towel used the clean the sealing surfaces of an air filter could cause "Engine Sensor Damage". Just enough to soften the rubber to ensure an air-tight seal.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JetJock
...it appears my airfilter is causing problems with the oil. There is fuel dilution, and some dirt or particles in the oil. Not a major problem, but he suggested I change the filter...Can the filter possibly be dirty this quick with such low mileage? I don't drive it on dusty roads or in bad weather. I'm still using the factory new filter.
Well, a previous UOA from Blackstone showed some fuel dilution in my '05 TL, too. Flashpoint was a bit low (360), viscosity was down (49.3) and insolubles were up (0.4). This was for a 6430 mile interval that ended with 20025 miles on the car. Mike Wan suggested a dirty air filter was the culprit. I inspected it and it looked ok but replaced it with a new Acura filter anyway. The subsequest UOA showed a much higher flashpoint and viscosity and a bit lower insolubles. Mike was right, and I didn't even have to pay the extra $20 for TD's report.

Originally Posted by JetJock
...Also, which filter would you guys recommend. I'm not too concerned about "fancy" filters that promise more power, I just want something to protect my engine. I care more about the engine than any extra power I might get from some aftermarket "high-performance" filter. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Steve
There isn't much out there. I recall one aftermarket standard filter and the K&N reusable one (I use these on my other two cars). I decided to go with the Acura one since the aftermarket filter wasn't readily available and the K&N was met with a lukewarm response from Mike.

As you may have noticed, I think highly of MW's knowledge and recommendations.