3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket factory style wing type spoiler from e-bay highly recommended!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket factory style wing type spoiler from e-bay highly recommended!!

Want a spoiler? Want to save about $230 over factory parts (web prices) ??? I found details on an e-bay seller at this thread here: http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...hlight=spoiler and I jumped on it... Boy am I glad I did!! Quality is excellent and color match to my Red Pearl is wondeful. Just finished installing it and the fit was great. Took a quick picture tonight, but it was becoming dusk and humidity was rising which put a vapor haze over the finish... still, it gives a good idea of the quality.

Only complaint was that the supplied screws (4 of them) to hold the spoiler on seemed slightly oversized compaired to the threads in the spoiler itself... so I picked some new ones up at the hardware store. Guess the wrong hardware pack must have been shipped with it?? no biggie... less than $2 later I was in business. Supplied instructions were great, and the seller was very informative, professional and courteous.

Still can't get over the quality of the finish and color matching.

All for $188 shipped.

-Steve
Old 07-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

The spoiler looks great. Did it come with instructions? What about the springs you get with teh Acura Spoiler so your trunk pops/stays open? Do you have any feedback on changes to the trunk dynamics? I'm thinking about ordering a spoiler if I can get it for that price. Also, how was the install? I fear I'd mess up...

TheNip
Old 07-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Intermediate

looks great... did it only come with 4 screws?? Any type of sealer so there are no leaks??
thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does your trunk open OK without the stronger spring?
Old 07-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Racer

did spoiler come with new trunk springs? thats probably why the oem one is more expensive.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Advanced

Honestly, I hadn't watched the trunk action yet... so I just ran out there to test it. It pops open okay when the release is activated... it only pops open about 3/4 inch now... but open is open. The trunk feels a little heavier to the touch and doesn't keep itself open until you reach about 3/4 of the way open. At full open it does not want to close on it's own... so that feels fine to me! If anything I think I like it more the way it is now. Previously I found it hard to close the trunk as it was so light to the touch (almost weightless) Now it feels more solid and I like it.

The instructions were excellent and I found it rather easy to install. If you have any doubts in your drilling ability though, it would be wise to find an installer in your area... many places install aftermarket equipment for reasonable fees... call around.

There is a thin black foam interface material that seals and cushons the mating surface between the spoiler and the trunk. In the instructions he recommends using silicone sealent around the screw area for water protection. Pretty straight forward stuff.

-Steve
Old 07-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nick04tl
did spoiler come with new trunk springs? thats probably why the oem one is more expensive.

Does not come with any kind of spring kit... and I don't think I miss it. I found the weightlessness of the trunk hard to deal with previously... Trunk is easier to close now.

I don't mind that my $230 spring is missing
Old 07-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Looks good. One question, does you spoiler have the acura symbol on the underside like the OEM spoiler?
Old 07-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acura1
looks great... did it only come with 4 screws??

The screws used are beefy. To give you an idea, it is a 5/16 hole that needs to be drilled in the trunk 4 times. The wing is very light, so if anything it feels like overkill. It's a very solid setup.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by OmegaTL
Looks good. One question, does you spoiler have the acura symbol on the underside like the OEM spoiler?

No, it does not. It's an aftermarket non-acura part. It appears to be a factory part in all other ways though. I usually don't look under spoilers, do you?? The paint job done by Ron and his crew is what makes this such a good buy... his PPG paint job is great. Claims that he uses a minimum of 3 clear coats on top of the base color, and I believe it. Wing will probably be around long after the car is gone.... like a cockroach.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hopsterguy
...like a cockroach.

Seriously, that looks like top notch quality. I still can't believe the price. $188 shipped and paint matched. You got yourself one hell of a deal.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by OmegaTL

Seriously, that looks like top notch quality. I still can't believe the price. $188 shipped and paint matched. You got yourself one hell of a deal.

I'm very very pleased. (as if you can't tell ) I won't tell anyone what I paid for it other than you guys here Anyone else... I paid $450!! hehe.

If you get a chance look at the pictures when I unpacked it in this thread... you can see the reflectivity from the lighting in my kitchen:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...hlight=spoiler

-Steve
Old 07-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
why did you buy from antonino insted of inskip?
Old 07-02-2004, 06:48 AM
Instructor

spoiler looks great but what about your paint on the bumper. man, it looks like 2 totally different shades of red.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by deandorsey
why did you buy from antonino insted of inskip?

No other reason than being close to them and they gave me a reasonable price. Salesperson worked hard to find a 6MT for me which were hard to come by in any color I was looking for.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jackal2001
spoiler looks great but what about your paint on the bumper. man, it looks like 2 totally different shades of red.

Only seems to do that in a flash situation. In bright light or other conditions I can't see a difference. Maybe because the angle of the plastic parts is slightly different and thereby the reflectivity is different?? Dunno... Doesn't appear to be like the Silver TLs I have seen where you can actually see a different shade in person on the plastic parts.

-Steve
Old 07-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Advanced

Yep... checked it out tonight in the bright late day lighting. No color difference can be seen in daylight. Something strange about the flash photo effect. Perhaps there is a difference in primer colors that shows through in ultra bright flash light??
Old 07-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the SSM TL and though i didn't even notice the color difference on the bumper when i bought it, after it was pointed out here i can't help but notice it every time i see the car. Looks like you don't have that problem with the spoiler though. Looks great!
Old 07-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
just keep a close watch when you take it in for service ;-)
Old 07-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by deandorsey
just keep a close watch when you take it in for service ;-)

Yes, certainly... why, any specific horror stories you have heard or experienced in the service department? Not obligated to any single place for that... so it wasn't a selling point. Though free lifetime oil changes are nice if I choose not to do it myself.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion
I have the SSM TL and though i didn't even notice the color difference on the bumper when i bought it, after it was pointed out here i can't help but notice it every time i see the car. Looks like you don't have that problem with the spoiler though. Looks great!
Thanks,... yeah, ron at R&D auto did a great job... couldn't be happier with the results. Still, I keep looking at the bumper in person and no difference... it's an odd camera effect under flash. Looked at non flash pictures and it doesn't show up there either.

-Steve
Old 12-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TheNip73
The spoiler looks great. Did it come with instructions? What about the springs you get with teh Acura Spoiler so your trunk pops/stays open? Do you have any feedback on changes to the trunk dynamics? I'm thinking about ordering a spoiler if I can get it for that price. Also, how was the install? I fear I'd mess up...

TheNip
Could you please post the instructions you got with the spoiler you ordered from ebay? I just got mine from ebay today, but the instructions were not very good. I only got these 4 plastic strips that you put in each hole of the spoiler ... then you lay the spoiler on the trunk, tape the strips in place... then you are supposed to drill the holes per the strips provided.

If I don't install by myself, I will have to try finding an installer locally to do it for me. Any suggestions on how to find someone in Schaumburg, Il or nearby?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by trade4jka
Could you please post the instructions you got with the spoiler you ordered from ebay? I just got mine from ebay today, but the instructions were not very good. I only got these 4 plastic strips that you put in each hole of the spoiler ... then you lay the spoiler on the trunk, tape the strips in place... then you are supposed to drill the holes per the strips provided.

If I don't install by myself, I will have to try finding an installer locally to do it for me. Any suggestions on how to find someone in Schaumburg, Il or nearby?
Did you guys buy from Trimking a/k/a R&D Auto? If so I have the exact same issue as you trade4jka, I thought the instructions that came with it sucked and all I got as far as a "template" were the so-called hole connectors which are little black things you tape on the trunk, if you figure out how to install this thing please let me know, otherwise I'm gonna return mine
Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by acuranewbie
Did you guys buy from Trimking a/k/a R&D Auto? If so I have the exact same issue as you trade4jka, I thought the instructions that came with it sucked and all I got as far as a "template" were the so-called hole connectors which are little black things you tape on the trunk, if you figure out how to install this thing please let me know, otherwise I'm gonna return mine

I got it from Exotic truck on ebay. The instructions were just pictures w/no words.. nothing to tell you what size drill bits to use and no recommendation to even silicone or paint the holes after your drill to prevent rust.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by trade4jka
I got it from Exotic truck on ebay. The instructions were just pictures w/no words.. nothing to tell you what size drill bits to use and no recommendation to even silicone or paint the holes after your drill to prevent rust.
Oh ok, I almost got it from those guys but ended up going with trim king because Exotic didn't reply to my e-mails, anyway if it's any consolation the instructions with mine do have words but it's not very much more helpful than yours, he does tell you the size of the bit to use but didn't say anything about rustproof or sealants either, so I'm probably gonna return it and go with the OEM installed by the dealer or just not put it on at all
Old 12-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Cruisin'

I had the same problem with my Exotic truck spoiler also. (btw they ignore emails and don't answer calls but nice product) I installed it myself with mark 3m bra man's helpful pictures and measurements in this thread.
I used his measurement from the corner of the trunk to the spoiler and then made sure the spoiler was even left to right and drilled. I must have measured for a good 15-20 minutes before drilling but installation was a piece of cake. I took pictures during the entire process. I can post them if they'll help.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ARNGRIMMR
I had the same problem with my Exotic truck spoiler also. (btw they ignore emails and don't answer calls but nice product) I installed it myself with mark 3m bra man's helpful pictures and measurements in this thread.
I used his measurement from the corner of the trunk to the spoiler and then made sure the spoiler was even left to right and drilled. I must have measured for a good 15-20 minutes before drilling but installation was a piece of cake. I took pictures during the entire process. I can post them if they'll help.

Thanks for that link, it's pretty helpful, if you wouldn't mind posting your pics though I would appreciate it, I want to have the most information available before I go drilling my lovely TL. Also is it true that on the underside of the trunk there are bumps or some other type of marking that makes it obvious where you should drill? I removed the lining and took a look (briefly) but didn't see anything that made it clear where I should be drilling
Old 12-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Cruisin'

That's true for other models like the RSX but not the TL. The best thing to do is get a template from the dealership if you can. Mine wouldn't let me use theirs and I couldn't use the one that someone faxed to me because the fax distorted it.
I'll dig up the pictures tonight.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ARNGRIMMR
That's true for other models like the RSX but not the TL. The best thing to do is get a template from the dealership if you can. Mine wouldn't let me use theirs and I couldn't use the one that someone faxed to me because the fax distorted it.
I'll dig up the pictures tonight.
Yeah I'm pretty sure my dealership won't help me install mine in any way, as the guy is trying to pawn an OEM one on me, if you could find those pics that would be great
Old 12-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Cruisin'

First tape off both sides of the trunk. If you don't, the drill bit may slip and scratch your paint. Use something that won't leave a residue when you take it off.

Then set your spoiler with the black tabs in them onto the trunk. Make your measurements carefully. When you're satisfied, tape down the black strips.

Here's the drill bit I used. I don't remember what size it is but it fit in the black pieces obviously.

When you're done with both sides you can remove the black pieces. Now your pilot holes are ready.

Use a unibit to make the pilot holes bigger.

Different aftermarket kits may use different sized screws so stop and test fit the screw after each notch on the unibit. After that I used a small file to smooth out the holes. Remove the tape and clean up any residue.
I also used some touch up paint to keep the exposed metal from rusting.

This is about where it comes out in the bottom side.

Apply the cushion thing to both ends if your wing came with it then install it on the trunk lid. You really need someone to hold the spoiler while you get the screws and washers started. I did it by myself and dropped the screw many times. Don't over tighten them.

Finished product.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Dude thanks so much for those pics, they will be a great help for me and other noobs trying to install the wing spoiler themselves!