3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After only 1200 miles on my new TL...the rear bumpers paint is peeling!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After only 1200 miles on my new TL...the rear bumpers paint is peeling!!!

Okay so when I heard some of you guys bitching about how bad the Acura paint process was I thought to myself..."mine seems just fine". Boy was I wrong! As I glanced at the rear bumper of my 2 month old TL today I noticed about a 1/2 inch jet black mark on the upper rear left side of my bumper, exactly where the bottom of the tailight meets the bumper. At first I thought it was dirt but after taking my index finger and lightly passing it over that section an additional little bit of paint just feel off! Looking a little bit closer I found that where the rear fender meets the rear bumper a slightly dark section can be seen over the "white" paint. This is no bigger than about the size of a single strand of human hair. So I went to the opposite side of my rear bumper to find the exact same thing happening in those (2) exact places but less visible. With no effort at all if I really wanted to I am able to peel the paint of my rear bumper leaving it jet black easier than one can peel a postage stamp off its adhesive paper! This paint just did not bond to my bumper. On Monday this car is going back to the dealer to get fixed. I will tell them it will be useless to try and use touch up paint because I can already see some black areas in the edges where the paint hasnt even peeled yet. Any suggestions? I havent lost any "love" for my car or Acura though. It just sucks that I have to waste alot of my time to get this fixed now. I will post an updated message when my car is "back to normal" and I am again.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:32 PM
6MT & LSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember seeing the same problem posted by a couple of other members... I'm sure you can get it repainted under warranty. Just make sure the paint is flawless when you pick it up...

Calling ahead to schedule a loaner is a good idea, too... that way you get an Acura, not some POS PT Cruiser or Neon.

Side note: take some high-res pictures of your car before you drop it off. These will come in very handy if you discover any sort of damage upon picking it up.