Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEM Intake system is here...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 07:13 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking AEM Intake system is here...

Got my AEM intake in the mail yesterday and slapped it on. Oh boy oh boy is there a difference between the Injen and the AEM.... Right off the bat, the AEM is alot throatier, and at WOT, it seems as if the AEM is more efficient becasue the car actually moves through the RPM range at a smoother,faster speed. The seat of my pants feeling is better than the injen and stock from what i can tell, but we will find out this weekend exactly what the intake does on the car compared to the AEM... IF anyones buying the Injen intake, i'd say wait and see what this intake sells for and does. I got a blue one, and it looks sweet. Pretty much identical to the CAi for the 3rd generation TL...

So if your in the market for a intake system, hold off for a little and wait for AEM to release theirs... I know K&N has one coming as well, but given their track record in the past with the 350z and G35, i wouldnt trust their crap.... K&N is trying to pick up the import market after some many years of not making CAI's for them, but IMHO, K&N is crap compared to injen and AEM....and at the bottom of that list is Weapon R <~~~~Biggest POS ever!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:19 AM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK ASSASIN

Did you get the regular intake or was it the new ( most recent ) V2 ?
Old 02-19-2004, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Any pictures? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2004, 09:37 AM
What's a TL?

thanks Jim...always coming through with the new info. Fortunately/Unfortunately, my Injen is arriving today!!
Old 02-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Injen CAI will arrive today as well. We need to know how much better the AEM really is.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Racer

The one i have the regular one. they dont expect to make the V2 for this vehicle from what i was told. They didnt use my car for the actual testing and fitment, so i dont know the reasoning, but i would say because of space.. The v2 is a little larger in diameter and doesnt actually help all vehicles. Some actually lose power with the increased flow of the V2....
I'm scheduled for the dyno this saturday afternoon. I gotta put the stock unit back on tomorrow night before i head over to the dyno shop. Ill post pics after saturday once everything is all said and done, and we'll see how it goes...

But on the freeway this morning, that puppy purrrsss... Aem has always have its more distintive intake sound...

The AEM wont ship for another month or so though. April 1st should be the finally ship date. They do strategic testing on their products before releasing them...

I know someone on AW.com got the K&N CAI tested on their vehicle, but from what we've heard through sources that know K&N people, the intake doesnt perform like the injen and aem...

But at least its a good thing companies are making products for this car already. It shows they know there's a market for it.

Oh and my will transform itself into a 6MT in 2 weeks... Gotta notice the vehicle is on its way..
Old 02-19-2004, 10:27 AM
What's a TL?

Would you mind making mine turn into a 6MT with navi, thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Racer

Originally posted by VTEC=happiness
thanks Jim...always coming through with the new info. Fortunately/Unfortunately, my Injen is arriving today!!
You'll enjoy it either way..
Old 02-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Racer

Originally posted by VTEC=happiness
Would you mind making mine turn into a 6MT with navi, thanks in advance!
lol...well i sold my TL, but the person is not taking delivery until the new one comes in.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes cant wait for the post of the dyno. I am 2 seconds from buying a CAI. So i will wait for your results. I spoke to comptech the ice box is suppose to be out on a month. I like comptech set up because its plastic. and metal holds heat which is whatevery one else is using. :o
Old 02-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Racer

Originally posted by nitrotiger
Yes cant wait for the post of the dyno. I am 2 seconds from buying a CAI. So i will wait for your results. I spoke to comptech the ice box is suppose to be out on a month. I like comptech set up because its plastic. and metal holds heat which is whatevery one else is using. :o
Yes the comptech air inbox doesnt come close to the performance additional that a true cold air intake can do because it just that, a air box. It replaces your stock airbox with a cone filter and thats it. You not actually bring cold air in from the front of the vehicle or forcing it into the throttle body. Its just suckingon its own from anyways. So when your a stoplight and the car is just sitting, your really still sucking hot air from under the hood, oppsed to the intake cone being right behind the front bumper away from the motor and heat...

The comptech is a great intake, dont get me wrong, but when we put a airbox on a s2000 and then put the injen intake on the car car, im sorry but the injen smoked the comptech airbox away...
Old 02-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Racer

Do I have to do anything else to the car to reap the benefits of the Intake?
Old 02-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Racer

nothing else at all. Just install it, thats it.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Lurker

Originally posted by dcarlinf1
My Injen CAI will arrive today as well. We need to know how much better the AEM really is.
Ditto. However I can't see how the difference in CAI can produce enough difference in HP to "feel" any different. The dyno results will be very interesting if they show a real difference that is outside the margin of error for the dyno...if it is mine will be available on EBAY IMO, intake roar is a negative, not a positive so I'm hoping my Injen doesn't produce much more noise than stock.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Racer

One thing I always hated is the loud noise of big mufflers, especially on honda civic type cars. I don't mean the ones with thousand of dollars worth of mods, just the ones with noisy mufflers to make them sound fast.

Will the intake make it sound too modified or silly or is it a sweet sound?

Thanks
PS: Should I get Injen or AEM? OR the Dealer installed?
Old 02-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Lurker

Intake roar IMO is hardly a sweet sound. However I haven't heard either kit, but I've owned others on other cars and some are noisier than others.

As for which kit to pick, we'll be waiting for the dyno numbers from the original poster of this topic then make the judgement of noise versus power if the Injen kit actually makes less power (but according to the original poster is quieter).
Old 02-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Racer

The injen intake at WOT is quite loud itself, as are most intake systems. The AEM just seems like the car is more free flowing and the needle glides through the RPM range alot faster. it might just be my imagination, so thats why im gonna throw it on a dyno and see what happens.. In regards to which is better. Both intakes and compaines are very reputable, so i would go with either one. The AEm will be a little more than the injen, but you pay for the name and the testing that they do. So IMHO, its up to you on which you want to go with.

The comptech dealer installed one is not factory warrantied as well. Ask your service department by wha tthey mean covered by warranty, and its not the intake or any damage it may cuase, but their installation.. its a play on words for you...
Old 02-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Racer

What do you mean loud?
Does it sound cheesy? Will someone think I have those big mufflers on the car.
OR
Does it take away from the luxury side of the car.
OR
Is it just a hiss noise?
Sorry for all the questions.

I am use to driving a Mustang 5.0 that I would say had the best sounding motor out there with no modifications.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:39 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Jimthegreek,

I'm a little confused by your thread. Could you clarify a few things:

You have the Injen installed on your car currently, correct???

Was it you that provided the Dyno on the Injen???

How are you getting the AEM for the 04 TL now? Do you have a connection with the manufacturer to get it early?

Lastly, I'm assumming their really isn't much difference in noise with either intake at normal acceleration and highway speeds. Is this a correct assumption?

As a mechanical engineer who deals with fluid mechanics and air movement in the HVAC business on a daily basis, I'm not sure I'm buying AEM's statement on the V2, that the sound waves somehow cause it to be more efficient. Sound waves use air as their medium, and the speed at which the waves travel is affected by the density of the air, but I have never heard of sound waves acting on the air to increase it's density in this application. I'm not idisputing the fact that varible intake diameters might make a difference on performance, but this sound like a cheesy explanation. I would love to hear some of the hard science behind this assumption.

Facts:

Higher RPM's generate higher frequency sound. The more closely spaced the explosions in the engine are, the higher the frequency sound that eminates from said engine. I'm not sure of the difference in frequency at idle and full throttle, but it doesn't seem like this could affect the ability of the motor to draw in unrestricted air, although it is possible, high frequency sound could cause the air and fuel to mix better.

High frequency sound waves are much more easliy dispersed than low frequency waves. Just as it is very expensive to produce decent low bass, it is also very expensive to attenuate, or silence, low bass noise. That's why the bass thump headed down the street transmitts through walls and many other mediums. I'm just not sure how this can be used to get denser air in your intake.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

*Newbie question alert*

What effect exactly does a new intake have on the car? does it actually make it perform better or just let out a nicer noise?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro

Jimmythegreek...did you ever get a scanner so you can post the dyno-sheets? If you did, I can't wait to see them! Also, it would be nice to compare the Injen to AEM to base.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:55 PM
tgt
Instructor

I'd love to hear how you made out as well. A CAI is a great first mod.

Thanks,
Travis