Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aem intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kilrb
Regarding the dyno, I'm confused... Why would the Injen cause a dip in low torque for the TL only? When I browsed the dyno charts at Injen, none of the other cars had the same issue with a significant drop in low torque, like the TL dyno showed. Is there any possibility the decrease is the result of how much throttle was applied at the start of the dyno run? In other words, is it possible the operator rolled into the throttle more smoothly on the "after" run? I don't know much about how they initiate dyno runs, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

I had a cold-air intake on my Z-28, and it seemed to improve the torque all along the rpm range.
Maybe the Injen is creating some kind of turbulence at low RPMs.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something to think about...

I'm not so sure that a dyno comparison of aftermarket CAI's to the factory CAI is completely fair and accurate. I do not believe the benefits of the factory cold air system will be fully realized on a chassis dyno. Why? The car is making full power runs, drawing air from the top of the cowl area, with relatively little cooling airflow through there (compared to a moving car). The aftermarket intakes are probably drawing much cooler air when stationary. I think this could account for at least some of the power differences that they are advertising. I would like to see intake air temp and coolant temp. data included with comparisons to understand where the power is coming from. I would also like to see if IAT changes when the car is moving vs. on the dyno. If Ingen is 10 degrees cooler on the dyno but only 2 degrees cooler in a moving car, that clearly accounts for some of the power difference.

I'm not knocking CAI's because they clearly produce more power in many applications. On the TL, the aftermarket CAI's are probably less restrictive and this probably accounts for at least some of the gains. I just want all the facts before I consider spending money on one.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Racer

That dyno was the best run of them all.. It produced the best numbers throughout the band, and was the final product as well. They tested fitted almost 6 different types of angles and filters on the car before they actually got numbers they were happy with.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Instructor

on the websites i can find a cai from injen made specifically for the 04 tl but i cant for aem is it because its not out for sale yet?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:36 AM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by WlcTL
on the websites i can find a cai from injen made specifically for the 04 tl but i cant for aem is it because its not out for sale yet?
As is stated in this thread as well as numerous other placed that this is being discussed, the AEM is not due out for 6-8 weeks.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:50 AM
Instructor

What's the concensus on Comptech's ice box? The setup looks like it draws air from outside the engine bay. I didn't see an application for the TL, but it looked like they got good numbers on the older CL's. And they are cheaper.