Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on drag strip racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advise on drag strip racing

First advise is if you want to drag strip seriously then get rid of that FWD car and get proper RWD. Every FWD car has limit when going from stop as dynamic weight transfer unloads front wheels (decrease in traction) and they start spinning wasting your engine torque instead of using it to apply to pavement and get off from start line.

That's how I beat crap out of my wifes Acura TL with far less powerful BMW 3 series (not to mention that I could round circles on bends around Acuras because I got one with sports tuuned suspension).

RWD simply sits on its driving axle off the start line and puts extra weight on wheels giving more traction allowing engine transfer its power to pavement in more efficient way.

Now if you are fun of smoking tires that's another story, but I always recommend some cheap Costco/Sams Club/Pep Boys tires with high threadwear number for this. They smell like some solvent, but they make noise and smoke. You will not get fast (or safe in fast bend if you are on road course track), but it will be spectacular to eyes of those who do not know much about car physics. ... and this will be cheaper as well

I always admire and have fun of folks bringing all those 300-400HP heavy FWD sport cars to autocrosses and then getting kicked by small RWD light cars with some 100-200HP only (most of the times for less than $10k). I am owner of one of those. It ain't drag strip toy, but if I wanted drag strip I would put Vette engine into it and diff from Cadillac (yes they build "pocket size supercars"! and it ain't gonna cost you more than $40k).
Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
eat, sleep, NGC

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
now that's what you call a lurker .... IBTL?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 AM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Who cares??? Point of post????
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
ok...thanks for posting
Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by macieks
First advise is if you want to drag strip seriously then get rid of that FWD car and get proper RWD. Every FWD car has limit when going from stop as dynamic weight transfer unloads front wheels (decrease in traction) and they start spinning wasting your engine torque instead of using it to apply to pavement and get off from start line.

That's how I beat crap out of my wifes Acura TL with far less powerful BMW 3 series (not to mention that I could round circles on bends around Acuras because I got one with sports tuuned suspension).

RWD simply sits on its driving axle off the start line and puts extra weight on wheels giving more traction allowing engine transfer its power to pavement in more efficient way.

Now if you are fun of smoking tires that's another story, but I always recommend some cheap Costco/Sams Club/Pep Boys tires with high threadwear number for this. They smell like some solvent, but they make noise and smoke. You will not get fast (or safe in fast bend if you are on road course track), but it will be spectacular to eyes of those who do not know much about car physics. ... and this will be cheaper as well

I always admire and have fun of folks bringing all those 300-400HP heavy FWD sport cars to autocrosses and then getting kicked by small RWD light cars with some 100-200HP only (most of the times for less than $10k). I am owner of one of those. It ain't drag strip toy, but if I wanted drag strip I would put Vette engine into it and diff from Cadillac (yes they build "pocket size supercars"! and it ain't gonna cost you more than $40k).
Congratulations! you just made the Moderator's watch list for that asinine post. Try trolling another forum. Better yet, try not trolling at all.