Sponsored by:

Acura TL in Italy, dream or reality?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL in Italy, dream or reality?

Hi guys,

this is my first post here! first of all congrats for this great acura/honda resource site, it's great!

I'm writing here 'cause I'm in love for the new TL: it's one of the best cars I've ever seen and it's specs and price range are two great reasons one must consider. I'm going to buy a new car in the next future but I've a BIG problem: I live in Italy and I want a car (the new TL) that is sold in US States/Canada only.

I've some questions and I hope you, experts, can help me to clarify them: thanks in advance for your help! ;-)

1 - will the nav system operate here in europe?
2 - where can I find italy/europe maps for the nav system?
3 - will the radio function here in italy?
4 - where can I find spare parts (air filter, etc...) for standard manteinance?
5 - Aestetics: I like VERY much the clean lines of the new TL but I would like to know your opinion about the optional front/rear underbody spoilers and the rear wing spoiler.

FYI my Acura TL would be equipped as follows: TL with 6 speed manual gear-box, nav/dvd system, 18" rims, satin silver metallic paint, quartz leather interiors, back-up sensors.

Please, help me if you can: I WANT that car! ;-)))

Ciao,

Emanuele

PS Excuse me for my 'not-so-good' english!
Old 01-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Acura TL in Italy, dream or reality?

Originally posted by EmanueleC

1 - will the nav system operate here in europe?
Possible. If you can load the new map data and make sure TL's software can read it.

2 - where can I find italy/europe maps for the nav system?
Try to ask/get some GPS systems from the market or ask European Honda if they do have Navi-models.

3 - will the radio function here in italy?
Radio should be ok. But not XM radio, which works with Rock & Roll satellites in West/East coasts of America.

But you may modify your system to accept "WorldSpace" satellite radio, which recieves signals from AfriStar satellite above Africa. Italy is in his range.

4 - where can I find spare parts (air filter, etc...) for standard manteinance?
Check your local shops, they may have the same/similar parts. It will be difficult if you try to get bigger parts... maybe custom made...

5 - Aestetics: I like VERY much the clean lines of the new TL but I would like to know your opinion about the optional front/rear underbody spoilers and the rear wing spoiler.
If you're really seriously thinking of importing TL to Italy, you may need to bring A-Spec package with you. But, for example, I'm not sure if you can find the replacement for Brembo brakes in Europe. And, anything broken in the future may require the long distance order or custom made to repaire if Honda in Europe cannot support your model. BTW, not many ppl here having big rear Wing spoiler...

How's about waiting for European Honda import TL? It may be there soon.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Banned

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Others will be along soon to give their thoughts/opinions to your questions.

As to your English, do not worry about it, as it is fine.
I would venture a guess that anyone trying to make fun of it would not do even half as well trying to write or speak Italian.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:44 PM

I suggest the Euro Honda Accord, our Acura TSX. I think owning a TL in Italy would be very tough. I doubt the NAV can be swapped, maintenance and parts would be a pain and looking at all the posts and stickies, I'd want to live by a dealer owning this car.

If u got the money though, do it, it would be the only one in Italy.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Racer

Re: Acura TL in Italy, dream or reality?

Originally posted by EmanueleC
PS Excuse me for my 'not-so-good' english!
Well, I cannot accurately answer your other questions, however your English seems good enough to me. In fact better than some Americans.

I have to say, my wife and I visited Italy about 2 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised that quite a few Italians knew English and we were able to communicate with them enough to get directions, etc.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Racer

Buon Giorno, Emmanuele!

Buona Fortuna regarding your goal to drive a TL in Italia. I think it would be very difficult and risky to do so.

1. The car may not meet the Italian standards for automobiles so that it can be imported.
2. Part and repairs will be very difficult, and you will have to pay the ENTIRE cost - there will be no warranty. You can probably find some dealers that will ship parts internationally, but how do know what to order?
3. The radio may NOT work - I think that you tune even numbered stations, we tune the odd frequencies. I am not sure the radio can do both.
4. The NAVI data system is probably proprietary to Acura. I doubt that you could make or source software on your own that would work.

I understand your desire for this car, it is fantastic. In the same way, I would LOVE to be driving an Alfa Romeo here, but it is not possible. If Honda - Acura is smart, perhaps they would sell this car in Europe some day. Meanwhile, enjoy the fabulous cars that you DO have available, that we cannot have!

Ciao, Giovanni