3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACURA Tire Balance & Rotation...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:10 AM
TL SL ML :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ACURA Tire Balance & Rotation...

I've put a little more then 4k on my 07 TL-S and am thinking its about time I got my tires balanced/rotated

...I called my local NTB(National Tire & Battery) and they quoted me just under $20 per wheel, which I think is on the high side....they have a special for $19.99 to have all 4 tires balanced and rotated but it excludes cars with tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS)

...any suggestions on how much I should be paying / what's a good place to take the car (I'm in central NJ)

Thanks
Old 06-17-2007, 09:19 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blazinginder
I've put a little more then 4k on my 07 TL-S and am thinking its about time I got my tires balanced/rotated

...I called my local NTB(National Tire & Battery) and they quoted me just under $20 per wheel, which I think is on the high side....they have a special for $19.99 to have all 4 tires balanced and rotated but it excludes cars with tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS)

...any suggestions on how much I should be paying / what's a good place to take the car (I'm in central NJ)

Thanks
Can't speak for NJ but locally In TX, I use Discount Tire. They charge $48 + Tax for all 4 road-force balanced etc.. You also get lifetime balance and rotation with that..

TPMS should not make a bit of difference when talking price for balancing.... Id like to know what besides "price gouging" they are thinking with that...
Old 06-17-2007, 10:58 AM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont see why they would exclude that price on TPMS equipped vehicles because they dont have to touch anything with the tpms when balancing or rotating!
Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Xx06SickspdTlxX
I dont see why they would exclude that price on TPMS equipped vehicles because they dont have to touch anything with the tpms when balancing or rotating!
Yeah, what could possibly be the reason to say that? Maybe because since they have to set the tire pressure correctly, they don't want to click on the mid to see if it says it? That's extra?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:54 AM

I called them back and asked why they're charging me much more just because its TPMS, they said its because they have to "be careful not to break the TPM device on the wheel" or they'd have to pay for it...seems like BS, but honestly I dont know any other good place around here other then these guys or the Acura dealer

...speaking of which...anyone know what the going rate is for balance/rotating from acura/honda dealer ?
Old 06-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I notice in your picture, you have a driveway and a garage. Ever consider doing this job yourself? A lot cheaper and at least you'll know things were done right.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:21 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I notice in your picture, you have a driveway and a garage. Ever consider doing this job yourself? A lot cheaper and at least you'll know things were done right.
Including balancing?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:33 PM
'06 6MT WDP

Originally Posted by darksom1
Including balancing?
Balancing at 4K miles is throwing money out the window.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Acuras Only in

My previous TL didn't need this at 4k. Don't know if we all "baby" our type-s a bit too much ...

I wouldn't do this myself, not that I know how.....
Old 06-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike 06 TL
I've never balanced my tires between new tire purchases, in 30 years. Never had any problems.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:48 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Mike 06 TL
If the balancing/rotation is the one that they do with the first oil change, then that's ok cuz it's included in the price (which for me is free ). But no way would I be doing a balancing every 4K or after any 4K other than the first one I mentioned previously. In fact, the only reason then is if they (Acura) say do it. I can't remember if they do, but I think so is why I said it. Otherwise, hell, I would never do it between tire purchases like avs007 said!
Old 06-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Potholes and rough roads abound in many parts of this country
It is reasonable to need rebalance of tires as often as 6 months in some areas.
I take my tires off and put them in the truck, off we go to a shop
that hi speed balances and rechecks after intial weights installed.
Smooth running tires last longer, help mileage, create less stress on
steering and suspension parts and more.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:47 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Potholes and rough roads abound in many parts of this country
It is reasonable to need rebalance of tires as often as 6 months in some areas.
I take my tires off and put them in the truck, off we go to a shop
that hi speed balances and rechecks after intial weights installed.
Smooth running tires last longer, help mileage, create less stress on
steering and suspension parts and more.
Most of my driving is 270 or 495, both highways. Don't need it. But if I felt I did, it would be far past 4K. But that's just me. I don't ever notice abnormal wear on my tires because of it.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:03 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

I called them back and asked why they're charging me much more just because its TPMS, they said its because they have to "be careful not to break the TPM device on the wheel" or they'd have to pay for it...seems like BS, but honestly I dont know any other good place around here other then these guys or the Acura dealer

...speaking of which...anyone know what the going rate is for balance/rotating from acura/honda dealer ?
Thats a bunch of crap, its not like they unmounting a tire and have to be careful when you break the bead. All they have to do is take the wheels off the vehicle and roll them over to the balancer, the tl wheels dont even have hang weights on the outter plane, they have sticky weights on the outter plan which are mounted on the inside, so its not like they are going to damage the valve stem. I really dont get it. I know that my honda dealership charges around $70 for a balance and rotation.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:43 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Acura of Springfield was $40 to balance and rotate all 4 tires. Just had it done last month.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Racer

The local Valvoline place charges $40 for a tire rotation. They do not even have a balancer in the shop. Local tire place called Mavis (small tire chain in NY) rotates the tires they sell for free. Not sure what they want for a balance though. So every other Oil change or so I stop there and have them rotate the tires.

If you really want them balanced check a few other local tire shops. Also check other threads on here. You want a place that does road force balancing.

I find for me balancing is useless unless the car is acting funny. The tires will at best last you 30K. Probably less.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by avs007
I've never balanced my tires between new tire purchases, in 30 years. Never had any problems.
Same here. Granted, I don't have frost heaves and major potholes to contend with, but I have never had to re-balance tires between sets.

I've got 40K on my original Bridgestones ('05 5-AT), and they look good for at least another 10K.

The Michelin Pilots on my '01 CL Type-S lasted 30K.

gurney
Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Racer

just wait till the car tells you what you need, i got my first A service around 7500 miles which was rotate tires, balance and oil change which i think was around 75-90 dollars, which was done at ramsey acura
Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks

Hey,

Call American Tire (located on Quakerbridge road) They are in Hamilton, just a few minutes from Route 1 near Q-B Mall. I have been going to these guys for the last 8 years and the staff is basically the same since day one. Great group of guys and a very honest & caring shop. Many of the guys that work there have modified cars themselves and they take care of your car as if it was there own.

BTW they do not charge for tire rotation. Give them a call at 609.588.5555 Manager is Frank if you prefer to speak with him.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, you're not balancing your tires, you are balancing your wheels. Unless you've thrown a weight off , or noticed a wobble or vibration in your steering wheel, you don't need a balance. If you've hit enough potholes to cause concern, your alignment is equally as important. The dealer (IMO), is the best place for that. For example, my dealer found a worn bushing, and replaced it under warranty. The corner alignment place doesn't know your Acura as well as the dealer does.
If you want to rotate your wheels/tires, you are a little early, but buy yourself a floor jack, and do it yourself if you want to save money. Every 10K will work fine usually.
You seem to be right on top of your maintenance. Congratulations....most people don't.
P.S. Don't forget the tire pressures. They are the most overlooked item when it comes to maintenance, and the most important next to an oil change.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:06 PM

After getting all your good feedback...I think I may just wait until the service A on MID and just let the dealer do it then.

Evader...thanks...if i do go to a third party in between services I'll be sure to give them a call