3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura Service Dept: Joyriding in my car???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Service Dept: Joyriding in my car???

I brought my car in for some rattles last Tuesday. I got called each day explaining that one part or another didn't come in and that it was being over-nighted. I finally got a call late Friday that it was ready. The rattles were only half fixed, but that's another story.

My issue is that the tech drove my car over 80 miles and used almost a half a tank of gas, leaving it completely on empty when I picked the car up. I immediately went inside and asked the rep if this seemed a little excessive and she said no, not when they are trying to fix a rattle.

Does this sound right? 4 days and 80 miles to fix a rattle in the dash? The least they could have done is put some gas in there. I had the decency to not return the loaner car completely on empty.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Sounds like I bunch of BS to me, 80 miles is very excessive.

I would talk with the service manager.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Soon I will have

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
80 miles seems like a little much...when i brought my car in for some rattles I zeroed the "b" side odometer. When I picked the car up the tech had driven my car, but the odo only read 1.2 miles. Seriously 80 miles...cmon that is not right, it doesn't take 80 miles to find and fix a rattle. A call to the GM of the dealership might be in order.
Just my .02
Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
My car was at the dealer for rattles and they only drove like 3 miles, a talk with the service manager is in order.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
when I ran a shop it was common for the service manager to take a problem car home so you could spend more time listening for exact location of rattles, then to make sure they were fixed. Techs time has to be billed for...or the manager can give their time after hours to figure out a problem

If you had several rattles, 80 miles isnt much,,and even basic 5 mile test drive loops add up fast
Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

Unless your car is the baddest thing in town, the techs have no interest in driving it around. They have driven plenty of stock and slightly modded cars,,its not a big deal to them if you have cool rims
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Nothing extraordinary. Just a base Type S.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
If you had several rattles and like you stated, waiting on parts. They may have taken the car out several times to listen/isolate rattles. Found one rattle, now lets go out and find the next one, and so forth. When I had my rattle problem in my old TSX I drove while the tech listened. You may want to try that method.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
You may want to try that method.
That was the first thing we did when I brought it in. It took about a 3 mile round trip for the rattle to appear.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by rod11
That was the first thing we did when I brought it in. It took about a 3 mile round trip for the rattle to appear.
What I did was noticed when and where (street location) I heard the rattle. Normally this was a rougher road with bumps, holes and whatnot. I took the tech there knowing we would hear the rattle. I drover over the bumps on purpose to make it rattle. Just an idea to help isolate it and not waste time/mileage driving on smooth nice roads and not hearing a thing.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:16 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
80 miles

Think about how far 5 miles is.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
80 miles! You should put in a datalogger next time you take it in and do a print out on the RPM's and MPH. It isn't uncommon for the service writers / sometimes sales mgr's to take a car, that is a bit much but if you break it down to 20 miles a day it's not so bad. They should put fuel in your tank though. Another reason why I avoid overnight stays if I take it in at all.

I would check you Navi to see where they went. A fellow AZ member got his car back with almost 300 miles on the ODO. Turns out one of the sales mgr's took it for the weekend to drive up the coast.. Proof - Navi.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
It is still excessive to travel 80 miles just to diagnose a rattle. Talk to the service manager.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by golfjwr
80 miles seems like a little much...when i brought my car in for some rattles I zeroed the "b" side odometer. When I picked the car up the tech had driven my car, but the odo only read 1.2 miles. Seriously 80 miles...cmon that is not right, it doesn't take 80 miles to find and fix a rattle. A call to the GM of the dealership might be in order.
Just my .02
maybe they reset the odo
Old 03-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I'm very anxious to see what the Service Manager has to say-if you take this matter up with him. If they don't "take care of this" to your satisfaction, I would write to Acura...hell, take it up to the next level. Show the dealership you are not happy.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

I just got off the phone with the service manager. He assured me that they only drive it enough to fix the problem and that sometimes with the rattle-prone TL's it takes a little more time. He's only got 50 miles documented from the technician, so he's going to check on the reason for that.

I mentioned that I thought it was ridiculous that they didn't at least put a little gas in the tank. He said they don't usually reimburse for gas, but for me to call him before I bring it back and they will put some in there.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
I just got off the phone with the service manager. He assured me that they only drive it enough to fix the problem and that sometimes with the rattle-prone TL's it takes a little more time. He's only got 50 miles documented from the technician, so he's going to check on the reason for that.

I mentioned that I thought it was ridiculous that they didn't at least put a little gas in the tank. He said they don't usually reimburse for gas, but for me to call him before I bring it back and they will put some in there.

The service manager kinda sounds like a dick. Why say something like that, it would have been nice for him to just fill up the tank a little bit.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by skd2k1
maybe they reset the odo
lol..
Old 03-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

I agree...what's it going to cost him to fill up your tank with fuel???? Maybe $20 to $25?? Something like that goes a long way when you're talking about customer service.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:46 PM

I wouldn't trust'em.. I'm typically paranoid about these sort of things.. but I would take a monetary reimbursement. Last thing you need is for them to have the tech go put 87 octane in your tank. I would be pretty pissed if they drove it for 80 miles and they did a half-ass job, not even fixing the rattles.. It might have been the service mgr who took your car for the week as well.. all the loaner's are gone.. might as well use your wheels to get lunch.. know what I mean?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Happened to me too. All i got after talking with the manager was a free oil change. I couldnt prove it but i knew cuz i reset trip B b4 dropping it off but left it showing trip A. When i got it back the trip computer and trip A was reset but the trip B showed 65 miles. This was at Acura of Glendale. Good luck
Old 03-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Team Owner

Juruki, I think you are smart to post the dealership name. Rod, you should too. That way, other members are aware of this situation with said dealerships and can take proper action.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
this reminds me of Ferris Bueller

Seriously, I'd insist upon them giving you at least 5-6 gal of gas. The dealer drove my car 20 miles roundtrip to re-align a door at the body shop and put $5 of gas in the car upon my request. They didn't even hesitate.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
05 TL 6mt

80 miles sounds a little too high, but I'd probably feel more comfortable putting 93 octane gas in my car knowing I put the right type of gas in my tank. Who knows what kind of gas they'd fill up your tank with if they were to refill it for ya.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Team Owner

geez people- its not the dealers job to put gas in your car,,the real piss off is the guy who brings the car IN on empty, and expects that somehow its going to be test driven without using any gas

The car has to be driven,rattles are a pain. the mileage is written down on car coming in and out- the techs time is billed for so he gets paid- so he is also tracking it

They dont owe you anything--did they ask you to put gas in the loaner- which was a perk they are not required to give you
usually its -dont bring it back totally empty- we need to loan it back out

There is no joy in driving stock cars! they are test driven to confirm problems and fixes
Maybe the service manager took it after the tech to be certain they were all fixed
Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Team Owner

if its 10 miles to the rough road where it acts up....
Old 03-02-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by TLUWHAT
80 miles sounds a little too high, but I'd probably feel more comfortable putting 93 octane gas in my car knowing I put the right type of gas in my tank. Who knows what kind of gas they'd fill up your tank with if they were to refill it for ya.
+1.. not worth it.. there's a lot of good shops out there.. but if they didn't fix the original issue and kept it for a week.. I'd be wary. It's not like these rattles are a new issue.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
geez people- its not the dealers job to put gas in your car,,the real piss off is the guy who brings the car IN on empty, and expects that somehow its going to be test driven without using any gas

The car has to be driven,rattles are a pain. the mileage is written down on car coming in and out- the techs time is billed for so he gets paid- so he is also tracking it

They dont owe you anything--did they ask you to put gas in the loaner- which was a perk they are not required to give you

There is no joy in driving stock cars! they are test driven to confirm problems and fixes
Maybe the service manager took it after the tech to be certain they were all fixed
My dealership requires to fill-up as it was loaned out.. otherwise $4 / gallon! (when it was $3). OP.. what can you say.. welcome to the TL.. the where's waldo of rattles. I think you'll find a lot of resources on AZ from members concerning rattle fixes.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Racer

Um, I refill the loaners all the time. If the dealer drove my car for 80 miles you bet your ass they are replacing the gas, with 93 octane no less.

As for the rattles, I have some too. Its probably the worst thing about the TL. Every TL I've been in has them. Good luck trying to get them fixed.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo

I would check you Navi to see where they went. A fellow AZ member got his car back with almost 300 miles on the ODO. Turns out one of the sales mgr's took it for the weekend to drive up the coast.. Proof - Navi.
The Navi logs where you drive? How do you check the log in the navi to see where u have driven?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lazer187
The Navi logs where you drive? How do you check the log in the navi to see where u have driven?
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/south-coast-acura-joyride-643215/
Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There needs to be a DIY on how to fix rattles. There probably is one too.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u cant fix some of the rattles but a majority can be fixed with dacron...its just padding... its like pillow filler...you can split it in half or use it in whole, it doesnt matter. I use it in whole because you can press it down with the panels and it will hold very tight...the only panel you cant do anything about really is the one the seatbelt goes down into becaise its a very very tight space and it limits the movement of the belt.... its very nice stuff.... in the audio side of things its used in boxes. i lined everysingle panel in the car except the rear deck and that belt panel....nothing makes noise.... except the deck.

and 80 miles is excessive and someone woulda gone home with their teeth in their mouth or woulda gotten bitch slapped for lying.....play no games witht hat especially when it comes to a car thats over 30k..... I always tell my tech and ONLY because I can trust him.... theres $50 in the glove....take the car home ride it see whats trashed put gas in it and take money out for tolls... I also know where the guy lives so i dont care....but for it to be some total stranger riding your car, its BS
Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
u cant fix some of the rattles but a majority can be fixed with dacron...its just padding... its like pillow filler...you can split it in half or use it in whole, it doesnt matter. I use it in whole because you can press it down with the panels and it will hold very tight...the only panel you cant do anything about really is the one the seatbelt goes down into becaise its a very very tight space and it limits the movement of the belt.... its very nice stuff.... in the audio side of things its used in boxes. i lined everysingle panel in the car except the rear deck and that belt panel....nothing makes noise.... except the deck.

and 80 miles is excessive and someone woulda gone home with their teeth in their mouth or woulda gotten bitch slapped for lying.....play no games witht hat especially when it comes to a car thats over 30k..... I always tell my tech and ONLY because I can trust him.... theres $50 in the glove....take the car home ride it see whats trashed put gas in it and take money out for tolls... I also know where the guy lives so i dont care....but for it to be some total stranger riding your car, its BS
I have dacron on most my panels.. (bought used).. but then I tried pulling the rear passenger panel.. they used styro blocks and adhesive.. I couldn't get the damn thing off without destroying the full volume packing.. lol..

I figured.. well.. if the rattle was this bad.. might not want to mess with it.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Safety Car

lol wow... musta been driving people nuts lol!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I just had a similar experience. They had my car since last Wed and on Thursday a co-worker of mine said she saw my car parked at a restaurant that is about a 1/2 mile from the dealership. I didn't want to say anything to them until they fixed my problem because I didn't want to find spit or something else in the car. I wasn't able to talk to the service rep today when I got it back since they were kind enough to bring it to my office since it had taken so long. I might make mention of it when they call for the survey.

They did do a good job of eventually fixing a problem that turned out to be hard to diagnose and my service rep was really very professional. It seems like they put around 50 miles on the car diagnosing and testing for a noise I had. I'm sure they decided to go to lunch while they were out testing but I am very particular about parking far away from everyone else and the restaurant they went to has a terrible parking lot that is always full at lunch.

I'm kinda torn as to whether to say anything. My warranty is up in 2 months so this will probably be the last time I have to take it to them barring any more recalls.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Pro

let it go...it's 80 miles...big deal...was the issue resolved?

-Jason
Old 03-03-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by AMIC
I just had a similar experience. They had my car since last Wed and on Thursday a co-worker of mine said she saw my car parked at a restaurant that is about a 1/2 mile from the dealership. I didn't want to say anything to them until they fixed my problem because I didn't want to find spit or something else in the car. I wasn't able to talk to the service rep today when I got it back since they were kind enough to bring it to my office since it had taken so long. I might make mention of it when they call for the survey.

They did do a good job of eventually fixing a problem that turned out to be hard to diagnose and my service rep was really very professional. It seems like they put around 50 miles on the car diagnosing and testing for a noise I had. I'm sure they decided to go to lunch while they were out testing but I am very particular about parking far away from everyone else and the restaurant they went to has a terrible parking lot that is always full at lunch.

I'm kinda torn as to whether to say anything. My warranty is up in 2 months so this will probably be the last time I have to take it to them barring any more recalls.
LOL.. don't tell me you took it to McDavid..
Old 03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Team Owner

AMIC-I would sure as HELL say something to the dealership about seeing your car parked at a freakin' restaurant. I am mad for you...and it isn't even my car !!!! When you bring your car in to a dealership, it is NOT supposed to be used by employees to go to lunch in. I would be livid.

And you know what..and I apologize to 01th4tl for this...I feel (my opinion) that the dealership SHOULD put fuel back in your car-especially after putting 80 miles on my car. It's the LEAST they could do-it goes a loooong way for customer service. If I were the Service Writer, I would tell the customer up front-that they drove the car 80 miles trying to find the problems. BUT...we refilled your fuel tank for the trouble.

Shit, this is an Acura-it is a luxury model car. It's supposed to be along the same line as Lexus and Infinity. I'm not paying this kind of money for an automobile for the dealership to put 80 miles on it and not replace the fuel they used to excess. And I don't care if they were driving it 80 miles to fix something I brought the car in for. I would expect a higher grade of service from Acura....or Lexus...or Infinity....or BMW....or Mercedes.

Blazing GT is absolutely, positively right....think of how far 5 miles is. If the damn dealership can't find the problem within 20 miles-IT'S TIME TO FIND A NEW DEALERSHIP.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-03-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Its amusing to read all the comments on here about how many miles it takes to diagnose multiple rattles. So you go to Acura and tell them, "I have some rattles and you have 40 miles to figure it out ...Come on really, the tech has to fix it. Period. If you are not an Acura technician who fixes rattles on a daily basis, I doubt you would have a "feel" for answering this kind of question...

80 miles is nothing on a car. The gas, well thats a personal call... @24 mpg mixed and $3 a gallon >>3.3 gallons= $10. A couple trips to Starbucks...

Quick Reply: Acura Service Dept: Joyriding in my car???