Acura Service on AEM and K/N

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004 | 10:30 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Acura Service on AEM and K/N

I went to Tempe Acura today to get a trim ring for my license plate and was surprised to see an AEM Intake kit bigger than life on the back wall at the parts counter. I was shocked to see several after market Acura parts at the parts counter. When I asked the service advisor about the warranty on them, he stated the AEM could only affect the warranty if it contributed the failure (I knew this already from previous posts on this site). He then started talking about how the KN filter did not filter as well as the stock paper filters, and that tiny particles that pass through could score the piston sleeves, causing engine problems.

Does anyone have hard data on KN versus stock as far as filtering efficiency? Does the KN really pass more particulate that could damage the engine?

As a side note, he also said they had several cars come back with AEM's installed when guys sucked water into their CAI when driving through a deep puddle.

Does anyone else have an Acura dealer that offers AEM?
Old 02-26-2004 | 11:56 PM
Banned

I would be surprised about his claim regarding the K&N filter vs the stock paper one, but I don't have any data.
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:27 AM
Lurker

I've heard the same thing about K&N (and any K&N style oiled filter) and it makes sense. Of course they have larger "gaps" that's what permits the higher air flow, but it being oiled it helps counter that difference as particles stick to the first part of the filter they run into. If you don't properly maintain the filter by cleaning it and reoiling it regularly (on my GN I do it every oil change) it's absolutely possible for particulates to eventually get passed the K&N. Simply put, don't go 20K miles between K&N cleanings.
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Skeedatl
Simply put, don't go 20K miles between K&N cleanings.
That's a bit too frequently. You can actually over-oil it. When that happens the MAF sensor can become covered in oil.
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:44 AM
Lurker

The filter cleaning solution removes all the old oil and filth. When I clean mine, the cotton is nearly white again. Then you reoil it and let it dry. You don't just keep adding filter oil to it. There are no problems for the MAF, MAP, intake temp or any other intake sensors if you follow the mfg instructions.
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:57 AM
What's a TL?

Haven't seen a lot of AEM at dealers, but there is an Acura dealer out here called Valencia Acura...they have a division that I believe they call VA Motorsports, which modifies the cars they sell. They acutally have some brand new, heavily modified cars on their showroom. If you live anywhere around L.A. and insist on having a dealer do the mods, I would go check this place out.
Old 03-05-2004 | 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Skeedatl
There are no problems for the MAF, MAP, intake temp or any other intake sensors if you follow the mfg instructions.
You're one of those people that follows instructions. It's just working at a shop for so many years, I've seen so many people over-oil their K&N.