3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura owners - if you want some good entertainment...read this thread I started...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:08 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When first doing my car research I wanted to take a GTO for a spin, I was impressed by it's numbers, but when I went to the local dealership they told me they had no demo. They told me what they do is order a car, with my deposit, I can then test drive it and if I don't like it, I walk away. Which is probably the reason why GM is doing such a stellar job at the moment. Certainly this probably doesn't represent all dealers, this is just my experience, oh and by the way, when I asked for a sales brochure they said they had none, but I could leave a deposit and take their dealership copy! First class treatment from a company that is just about to release it's Camaro again with a completely butchered design (at least by looking at its concept car).
Old 01-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Instructor

I had an 2001 Pontiac Grand AM, Black with ChromeTechs, Coupe.

I loved the car. It had the looks and speed I wanted. I would just cruise around in it for not reason at all........then the problems started......

I leased it since I was in college and only drove on weekends.

3 year lease, after two years, pontiac gave me back 1 year of payments.

So I had to choose, drive it for another year for free or trade it in.

I chose to beat the hell out of it for free.

I just got my 06 TL and love it. It surprises me everyday.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission

one of my CL buddies is about to purchase a blue GTO.

My condolences.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Nobody's Hero

That's pitful! Talk about taking things personal and being insecure. Sure makes me appreciate the Acurazine board and family

BTW, great choice and welcome aboard!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:14 AM
320 sc

I went through the same stuff with a 2004 bonneville GXP. I had purchased 13 new GMs in 20 years and the GM rep wouldn't even met with me. I tried to reach a manager but they wouldn't put me through. I went through BBB and GM had to buy the car back. Now have a 05 TL w/ nav, I have put 22,000 on the car and love it. Now what to do with the 03 Z-71 suburban?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by cTLgo
My condolences.

Teh Snaps.....
Old 01-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, I actually read the whole 7 pages. Just couldn't stop. It did degenerate into a bunch of name calling like some threads over here. But I'd like to think our mods would have closed it long before it got that far. I'm sorry you got slammed. I didn't take your post to be a knock on all GTOs, just your lemon. I hope you enjoy your TL.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I read the first few posts...wow is all I can say...some people need help.

There was one good (great) thing in that thread...M6GTO's avatar
Old 01-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was my laugh for the day. I guess it's a felony to leave that forum. Some of those posts were just straight out bash and BS. Those guys are really insecure.... Hey chill, 100% agree with you ... on the avatar.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Those guys are a bunch of rednecks! That's all I have to say.

Wonder if the GTO comes with a free Nascar jacket (sorry to you Nascar fans).
Old 01-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

But TAYLOR?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Instructor

It comes with a Free Stress Ball!

"Hey what do you think we are Acura???"

What commercial is that based off of?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:52 PM
FOR SALE - BM

its funny.. when someone on acurazine says that they are leaving bc they bought a Infinity, Audi, BMW, whatever.. we wish them the best of luck, keep checking back, we wanna see pix, etc.... but when you left that sight and told them you bought an acura , they were much more hostel... like you are disowned and not welcome back, like you had some kind of pact with those people that you swear not to buy another car as long as its American.. Are acura owners more civilized, maybe... or maybe we just don't care enough to get our panties in a bunch... ... what if you told them that you just bought a bentley continental GT and it would spank their goat... do you think they would still bash you.... i gaurantee that when i buy my Bent GT i will be the first to post on this sight... we will see if Acura owners bash me.. at least i hope they don't...
Old 01-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by drdamian
i gaurantee that when i buy my Bent GT i will be the first to post on this sight... we will see if Acura owners bash me.. at least i hope they don't...
We'll only bash you if you don't offer rides to those of us who make the trip down to Philly j/k
Old 01-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Pro

The GTO looks like a Dodge Stealth
Old 01-17-2006, 02:45 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Someone should tell those guys to go open a copy of Consumer Reports yearly buyers guide or their annual April auto issue, look at the frequency of repear records for used cars, and compare Pontiacs to Hondas and Acuras.

Then, they can
Old 01-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
ahahahahaha, those guys are bitter as hell!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Leviathan
To be fair to the GTO guys...

OK, first off I AM LMAF!!!!!!!!

But beyond that, GM bought my G6 back and now I'm in a TSX. All I can say is that I WILL NEVER own another Pontiac. At least not one built new.

I would take an original GTO or a Smokey and The Bandit Trans-AM but no new Pontiacs or GMs for me.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
No need to get too worked up ourselves, actually, over words that were said by 6 or 7 people on another internet forum.

Life's too short for us to be bothered by such things.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:58 PM
100k miles club

i could barely get through the first page. there were just too many ignorant statements. which is why i love this community. there have been many people who traded their TL for a (fill in the blank) threads yet they are still welcomed here. i know there are members who will bash from time to time but wow, that forum has a lot of them.

i'm kinda worried parking next to a pontiac now after reading some of those posts

enjoy the new ride. mine is 51K+ miles old and have no big issues to deal with
Old 01-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Advanced

That was a long ass thread. I think I grew a mullet before I got to page 7.

I was/am a Ford guy, family and even I worked at Ford. However the quality issues are what made me buy the TL. I was going to buy the new Mustang, (I know it's a whole diff. category) but the plastic/cheap feeling was unbearable to me.
I find the TL has enough power for me. I’m not 18 anymore and my taste is more refined.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 265 ssi
I went through the same stuff with a 2004 bonneville GXP. I had purchased 13 new GMs in 20 years and the GM rep wouldn't even met with me. I tried to reach a manager but they wouldn't put me through. I went through BBB and GM had to buy the car back. Now have a 05 TL w/ nav, I have put 22,000 on the car and love it. Now what to do with the 03 Z-71 suburban?
EXACTLY what I was dealing with. After three months with dicking around with GM's "hotline", I got so pissed off one day I started yelling at the rep (I lost my voice for 2 days after). Basically yelling about the fact I bought a "brand new" $33,000 car & they would do nothing but aggrevate me, instead of fixing it. I asked for a meeting with the regional rep, my dealer's service manager, and myself & it would never happen. They told me it would be sometime in March2006 befroe they could even schedule the meeting. My dealership's service manager was dumbfounded that they were jerking me around. When I got home the day I screamed at the GM hotline rep (this is the only guy I could talk to, anytime my VIN was given to someone they wouldn't talk to me because he was the rep that was assigned to the account), I decided to send an email to Pontiac discussing my disatissfaction that only this rep could handle my account, and that I wanted a manager to contact me by email or a phone call. Low and behold, I get a call back FROM THE SAME JERKOFF TELLING ME HE IS THE ONLY REP that can handle my account. This was when I decided to sell or trade it in. About 3 weeks later, I was driving an '06 TL.

I contacted my dealer service manager after this & told him I was going to get rid of it. He told me that I was going to let GM get away "easy", but I had enough. The stress is gone. While all this was going on (4 months total), I had not driven the GTO. It just sat in my garage. My wife bitched every time we had to write a check for the payment. I kept insurance on it the whole time. All in all, though it was good I did this, because I had $1200 equity in it when I traded it in. If I would have kept driving it, It would have had 30,000 miles on it & would have been worth about $13,000 as a trade, Instaed I got $19,000 out of it. Basically, as I figure, It cost me about $3500 to drive it for 8 months and 20,000 miles. Not really all that bad. I got a hell of a deal on it when I bought it.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sskillett
EXACTLY what I was dealing with. After three months with dicking around with GM's "hotline", I got so pissed off one day I started yelling at the rep (I lost my voice for 2 days after). Basically yelling about the fact I bought a "brand new" $33,000 car & they would do nothing but aggrevate me, instead of fixing it. I asked for a meeting with the regional rep, my dealer's service manager, and myself & it would never happen. They told me it would be sometime in March2006 befroe they could even schedule the meeting. My dealership's service manager was dumbfounded that they were jerking me around. When I got home the day I screamed at the GM hotline rep (this is the only guy I could talk to, anytime my VIN was given to someone they wouldn't talk to me because he was the rep that was assigned to the account), I decided to send an email to Pontiac discussing my disatissfaction that only this rep could handle my account, and that I wanted a manager to contact me by email or a phone call. Low and behold, I get a call back FROM THE SAME JERKOFF TELLING ME HE IS THE ONLY REP that can handle my account. This was when I decided to sell or trade it in. About 3 weeks later, I was driving an '06 TL.

I contacted my dealer service manager after this & told him I was going to get rid of it. He told me that I was going to let GM get away "easy", but I had enough. The stress is gone. While all this was going on (4 months total), I had not driven the GTO. It just sat in my garage. My wife bitched every time we had to write a check for the payment. I kept insurance on it the whole time. All in all, though it was good I did this, because I had $1200 equity in it when I traded it in. If I would have kept driving it, It would have had 30,000 miles on it & would have been worth about $13,000 as a trade, Instaed I got $19,000 out of it. Basically, as I figure, It cost me about $3500 to drive it for 8 months and 20,000 miles. Not really all that bad. I got a hell of a deal on it when I bought it.

Tod,

I had some major issues with my 'ALL NEW' 2005 G6. I have written of these problems on some posts here and there but can completely sympathize with you on this issue. You call and talk to some people who really don't give a funk about your situation or your car and you have to end up in a street fight just to get someone to talk to you. It is a shame but that is what you deal with when you buy one of the General's cars. I got my car bought back and turned it in the last day of June 2005 and picked my TSX up from the dealer on July 3rd.

I haven't looked back to GM once and don't think that I made a bad decision going with the Honda/Acura corporation.

Enjoy your non-GM TL!!!!

Old 01-17-2006, 07:09 PM
it's 4:20

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
that's funny, the guy on the bottom of the 1st page said the TL looked "boring". hahahahaha
Old 01-17-2006, 09:48 PM
8th Gear

I hope that thread isn't representative of that forum. That's almost as frustrating as the car itself . . . a great concept that was not fleshed out by GM. Think of it, classic pushrod V-8 engine in a RWD coupe with an IRS at a reasonably affordable price? How could you screw that up? Maybe the owners over there are upset because they bought a car that should have been great but instead turned out to be, well, a goat I guess.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

I thought only rednecks drove Pontiacs. .. oh wait. . . .
Old 01-18-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should post them this video which talks a little about the GTO.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....07E0C25846&p=2
Old 01-19-2006, 02:21 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by invincible569

Old 01-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

That guy needs a punch in the nads.

Makes American car haters look like complete idiots..I get his point, but his delivery is so juvenile, it takes away from any credibility he may have had...

What those car owners did to their cars is no different than what many people on this very board do to theirs.. (mine is stock - BTW)
Old 01-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Team Anthracite Member

My very first car was a ford - T-Bird. What a shit can. Same thing then too - Service disowned me the second my warranty was out - even though I had an ongoing issue with tranny and warped rotors - I shoulda/coulda done Lemon from the start, but was young and not wise I guess. Biggest POS I ever owned.

Nice avatars over there tho!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:42 AM
6th Gear

Sad to See

I love my TL, CL and Honda Pilot but it still pains me to see the poor quality of american cars compared to the Japanese cars. It looks like GM and Ford are headed to Chapter 11 and it is all because of poor build quality and cheap components. Growing up in Detroit all my buddies and I worked our asses of to get big block american hot rods like a goat, trans am, firebird, etc. and spent every waking moment driving or working on them - and I worked my way through college building pontiacs -- but now I would not be caught dead in a new GM, Ford, or Chrysler passenger sedan or coupe. Cars cost way to much to be such a risk to buy - I had a rental grand am with 4k miles on it last week - it was crap - what a shame.

So the way I see it is that the hostility on that board is in part defensive and it is sad to see. There is absolutely no reason american cars cannot be the best designed, most reliable and longest lasting on the planet. When is GM going to get the message?
Old 01-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Instructor

I'd take the TL over a Cavalier with a V8 anyday!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Papaman677
I'd take the TL over a Cavalier with a V8 anyday!!!

Not that I'm trying to defend the GTO, but it is so much more than a Cavalier with a V8. There is nothing shared between the two cars.

BTW, I was not trying to start a bashing war between the A-zine board & the GTO board, just merely pointing out other's feelings to my trading up/down to a new TL. I had no Idea that there was a feud between the GTO & A-zine forums before, either.

I wasn't trying to "replace" the GTO with the TL, exactly. I did what I needed to do to get out from under a lemon without having attorneys making big $$$ on the arbitration. Too many people are sue happy & this may be a reason why these cars all cost so much these days. I also didn't need the stress of 1+year of arbitration to get it replaced.

As I said in another post, the GTO wasn't a bad car, I just couldn't see the value in keeping it.

I also don't see the TL as an equal to the GTO. They are on completely different levels. The Acura will still be running in 20 years, whether the tranny fails or not. If it does, I believe Honda will do what is best to correct it in a timely fashion.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by invincible569

Again, I'm not trying to defend GM cars, but that fag needs his ass kicked. I would have liked to see one of the owners of those cars see him doing that video in person.

I don't even own a Camaro or Firebird & I was offended. Those guys on the GTO board would probably want to kill that guy.

This would be no different than an Acura/Honda event & someone doing the same.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:05 PM
"Joe Cool"

Originally Posted by 265 ssi
Why?? Are you having issue with the Sub?
I have an 02 Suburban LT and I have yet to have even one problem with it.
It has 50K miles on it and the only thing it has ever been to the shop for is regular maintenance (oil change, etc.).

Love the TL though it is real fun to drive.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Pretty much what I would have expected from those guys lol! I myself am about to buy a '06 5AT navi TL and am coming from a MUCH faster car but I know I won't be board. Speed is nice but it get's ya tickets . I'm going for fit, finish and ride quality with *some* speed this time around and for the $$$ NOTHING's gonna beat my TL in that race . After 15 years and 11 new cars - all GM - in that time it's time for me to give up on "The General".
Old 01-24-2006, 02:17 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Boardman
Pretty much what I would have expected from those guys lol! I myself am about to buy a '06 5AT navi TL and am coming from a MUCH faster car but I know I won't be board. Speed is nice but it get's ya tickets . I'm going for fit, finish and ride quality with *some* speed this time around and for the $$$ NOTHING's gonna beat my TL in that race . After 15 years and 11 new cars - all GM - in that time it's time for me to give up on "The General".
Same manufacturer I gave up on too! You will be very happy with an Acura...trust me.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Racer

LOL, I owned a goat for about 3 weeks right before the TL, worst experience ever. Although it had plenty of power, it lacked everything else. I'm sure there are quite a few lemons out there, but GM's service was total crap, which led me to the TL.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Advanced

The sad thing is that they really think that American cars are so much better than foreign cars. My previous car was a chrysler 300M special (2002) loaded, no option left out. I thought it was the greatest car and was fast and handled blah blah blah. One week after leasing the TL I was so wrong wrong wrong! This car knocks the pants off the 300. Quicker and way quieter (damn chrysler sounds like I'm in a tank) nimbler and smoother. Braking is about the same. Unfortunately I bought out the lease on the 300M and it is now my wifes vehicle and I sometimes need to drive it as it holds way more cargo than a TL. I can't stand it anymore. It's horrible, no comparisson to the TL. Never should have bought it.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:17 PM
i souport publik edekason

Cool

what I find funny is the type of ppl who were arguing with the original poster...

Look at the kind of "kid" who was bitchin...

Quick Reply: Acura owners - if you want some good entertainment...read this thread I started...