3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura key update (early --> late style)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura key update (early --> late style)...

Okay, so I've been doing a little research and it appears that the ignition switch from the later 2007-2008 TL's is basically identical to the earlier 2004-2006 style cars with exception of the part that accepts the key. The later cars use the thicker laser cut keys while the older cars use the old flimsey classic Honda style keys. Anyways, my impetus for doing this is I really hate the separate key and fob of the earlier cars (which is what I have) and really want an integrated or switchblade style key.

I figure all I'd need is the ignition switch off a later car with a key and the VIN to get more keys cut and programmed, and it should work. Right???

I'd probably swap out the driver's lock cylinder with one off the same car just for good measure (In case I need to get into the car without using the remote).

So, here's a snapshot of an older ignition switch:

And, a later model (07-08) one:

Here's a later style ignition ring surface:

I really either want to run a Honda switchblade key or something like this (which are pretty cheap to find keyblanks on Ebay).

Of course, I think I'd need to have the keys programmed by the Acura dealer, which may cost a small fortune as they have the immobilizer "pill' in there somewhere, which needs to be programmed with the car. But, my other thought is doing a trick I did on my Audi allroad, which is that I stuffed the old ignition ring (which is the part that has the sensor that reads the RFID "pill" in the key) up under the dash with the key taped in it, and then just used the new one to actually start the car. Essentially one plug sent the signal to the immobilizer, to give the key 'access' to start the car, and the other actually turned it on. Since the key was taped in it (up under the dash) it ALWAYS got a signal to let me start the car. That way I could order new keys to my hearts content and never have to worry about paying the dealer to program them again!

Not a bad idea, if I don't say so myself. I'm just assuming this will work. None of it is tested.

Any of you have any thoughts or want to poke a hole in my theory?

My next question is if the RF frequency that the older cars use is the same as what was used in the later (07-08) cars. If not, this may be more difficult.
If they use the same radio frequency (FCC ID), I'm confident this is doable!

Last edited by NSX_Lvr; 07-17-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 07-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
I actually prefer having the remote seperate. My bimmer has an all in one key and it makes my key ring HUGE.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenSpades
I actually prefer having the remote seperate. My bimmer has an all in one key and it makes my key ring HUGE.
Agreed; my wife's former GTI had the thick switchblade thing going on; I didn't like that, and her new car has the keyless thing happening and that can be a pain as well. For my money, give me an old school remote and separate key.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arghhh... Dead photo links from Photophuket. Dammit! This is almost worthless without the pics.
Especially since this site hosts images itself (which is great), not sure why all these posts use links.