3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura Dealership giving me free stuff, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Dealership giving me free stuff, need help!

I recently purchased my 07 TL-S and the dealer mishandled the whole process. I had to sign another purchase contract because I think they lost the first, I took it in for the "car care paint protection" and they scratched my rear bumper, they did not pay of the loan on the vehicle that I traded in so I got late payment notices from honda finance. I tried to call the dealers finance department to find out what was going on and the girl brushed me off and didnt even look into it. I called yesterday because of another late payment notice on the traded in vehicle, left a message for the same girl and she never returned my call.

Needless to say I was not happy and ended up talking to the GM and he apologized for what has happened, the are going to come and pick up the car to fix the scratch and offered either the window visors or the sunroof visor as a gift to show their gratitude. I would like to see some pictures of a TL with the sunroof visors and the window visors so I can see which one I like better, so please help me out if you can.

Thanks,
deffjeff
Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man for the headache, a visor wont cut it for me.
Ask for an A-spec kit.
Those late payments will affect your credit more than what a visor is worth.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
see if they can throw in something else.... I just think those visors detract from the look of the car.... 35k+ and the most noticable things should NOT be plastic....

just my 2cents
Old 04-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Totally agree with the above 2. Plastic visors simply won't cut it, I would ask for free oil changes / service type things...those plastic visors are cheap, and to be honest i dont really like the way they look anways.
And like someone else said, there is more damage to your credit rating then almost anything they will give you for "free" - nothing is free in life...Dealerships SUCK
Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I'd take neither. Tell them to give you the paint protection for free for all of the hassles they've caused...it costs them nothing compared to what they charge for it.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Cruisin'

maybe I can talk them into giving me the carbon fiber trim to go around the cup holder area and on the back of the center console
Old 04-04-2007, 10:46 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deffjeff06
maybe I can talk them into giving me the carbon fiber trim to go around the cup holder area and on the back of the center console
better.....
Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
credit report is no joke.

It could affect purchases in the future
Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently purchased my 07 TL-S and the dealer mishandled the whole process. I had to sign another purchase contract because I think they lost the first,
I hope to christ you checked all those numbers. Thats a common trick used by dealers to tack on stuff without people noticing
Old 04-04-2007, 10:52 AM
TL SL ML :)

I'd still ask for more...IMO take the paint protection kit (if you can)...it'll keep the paint on the front of the car in much better condition over the years...I had a lexus and with 100 mile a day commute for 3 or so years, the front was completely paint chip heaven...I'm getting the PPK installed on my TL-S this friday
Old 04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
My Daily Driver

ask for the CF Steering Wheel too if it's available. I have it and I love it! Makes the interior a lot cleaner looking....
Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by deke
I hope to christ you checked all those numbers. Thats a common trick used by dealers to tack on stuff without people noticing
You do have a copy of the original, right?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by geekybiker
You do have a copy of the original, right?
yeah, i still have the original, and i compared it with the "new" one and all the terms are the same, i just think they are incompetent.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by triton3k
Man for the headache, a visor wont cut it for me.
Ask for an A-spec kit.
Those late payments will affect your credit more than what a visor is worth.

+1

Sunroof visor is approximately 90-100 dollars (if bought online) and the A-spec kit is 800 dollars (if bought on line). They affected your credit, so you need to ask yourself on the amount of damage you think they did to it and try to get something comprable. Good Luck dude!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Instructor

yeah, i still have the original, and i compared it with the "new" one and all the terms are the same, i just think they are incompetent.
Think? I'd go over every single line and match it up. If there are ANY discrepencies to your orginal contract compared to the one they re-did up... you sir.. have it made.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Some more food for thought......no matter how much free stuff they give you, it cant fix the damage they did to your credit. Its like taking a hammer to the hood of you car. Sure with the right effort, it can be fixed (in your credit case, basically, only time can fix it) but the blemish will still linger on. Credit, is, your credibility/respect/dignity. They, the dealership, should treat is as such. Maybe you can talk to someone to reverse the damage since it was not your fault but theirs? (sorry for my ignorance on the matter-I attribute to age. Lol). Anyways, Good Luck dude!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ankur914
Some more food for thought......no matter how much free stuff they give you, it cant fix the damage they did to your credit. Its like taking a hammer to the hood of you car. Sure with the right effort, it can be fixed (in your credit case, basically, only time can fix it) but the blemish will still linger on. Credit, is, your credibility/respect/dignity. They, the dealership, should treat is as such. Maybe you can talk to someone to reverse the damage since it was not your fault but theirs? (sorry for my ignorance on the matter-I attribute to age. Lol). Anyways, Good Luck dude!
I just got off the phone with Honda finance, they assured me that my credit has not been affected because it was the fault of the dealer, Honda was nice enough to honor the date that I signed the first contract and told me that they will also follow up with the dealer on the matter. So it seems that I am in the clear, it could have been worse, but I am still pissed at all the bull crap I have had to go through.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 PM

Get them to install the clear bra on the car instead of the visors haha
Old 04-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

I just got off the phone with Honda finance, they assured me that my credit has not been affected because it was the fault of the dealer, Honda was nice enough to honor the date that I signed the first contract and told me that they will also follow up with the dealer on the matter. So it seems that I am in the clear, it could have been worse, but I am still pissed at all the bull crap I have had to go through.
So your old loan was with Honda finance too?
Even so, it might be a good idea to get a notarized letter from them stating they were responsible for the late payment notices, since they didn't pay it off like they should have.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Isn't the A-Spec like a $5k kit? Do they even make an A-Spec kit for a TLS. Really more curious than anything... I would ask for the c/f steering wheel personally.
-P
Old 04-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lusid
credit report is no joke.

It could affect purchases in the future
Very true. I'm sure you meant score but it is understood the same way. In an unrelated note, I was asked (in a heated argument) "Why do you need your credit anyway?! It's not like you are trying to buy anything!" by a person I will leave unnamed. This was a couple of months after I "tried" to buy my TL. Some take credit scores more seriously than others. That is your call to make but IMHO your credit score is your key to your future, don't mess it up.

assurances from a Honda CSR about YOUR credit score in which they have almost no control over (score calculation) should be taken with a grain of salt Try pulling a credit report and see if those last payments showed up on your report. If it shows up then you need to dispute it before it gets out of hand. Better be safe than sorry later on...
Old 04-04-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by psolk
Isn't the A-Spec like a $5k kit? Do they even make an A-Spec kit for a TLS. Really more curious than anything... I would ask for the c/f steering wheel personally.
-P
I think a full A-Spec modded car with suspension could be 5k....but they're talking simply about just the underbody kit by A-Spec
Old 04-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Racer

-P
I think they meant just the body kit?

EDIT: Bleh you were faster !
Old 04-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Ah, Ok guys, thanks for the response. Personally I would rather have the suspension than the looks ..
Where in NJ are you? I am in Long Branch by the shore...
Cheers guys,
-P
Old 04-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Just be sure to double check. They will tell you anything.
I had a similar situation with chase with my 06 TL and I got in touch with the manager and they fixed my problem. But be sure to double check just to make sure.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
One note on the credit score impact. A lot of companies will not report a single missed payment to the credit bureaus. I have called in and asked this question to major financial institutions as I was moving one time and didn't have access to internet or any of my bills so I had several bills that were late and I called in to see how it would impact the credit score.

Many financial institutions will only report a missed payment to a credit bureau if:
1. Payments are consecutively being made late
2. A single payment is more that 30 to 60 days past due.

If you were always on time with a single payment and only missed that last payment and it has been taken care of now (before 30 days past due) it is highly likely they will not report it to the credit agency.

I had a similar type of situation with GM on my previous car where they screwed something up and as a result I had a "late payment". I called in pissed because it would hit my credit report. They assured me that this was not the case as they don't report late payments to the credit bureau until 60 days late. I have recently checked my credit report and I have absolutely no late payments reported in my entire credit history. I have had random late payments here and there over the years.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Pro

If it was me, I would ask (1) Honda Finance to put in writing that the dealer's mistake would not affect my credit rating; and (2) the dealer to give me the pro-pack to compensate for the trouble they caused me.

You may want to ask for more expensive stuff, but I don't think you are going to get it, in light of the remedies that are available to compensate you.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Pro

If it was me, I would ask (1) Honda Finance to put in writing that the dealer's mistake would not affect my credit rating; and (2) the dealer to give me the pro-pack to compensate for the trouble they caused me.

You may want to ask for more expensive stuff, but I don't think you are going to get it, in light of the remedies that are available to reasonably compensate you.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Instructor

FWIW: I still get stuff about a motorcycle I bought in 1981 and missed a couple payments due to having moved out of state. The fact that it was paid off over 25 years ago doesn't seem to impress the computers...
Old 04-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Instructor

HONDA Credit Reporting

Just an FYI to all you freaking about the credit report. Honda does NOT report to your credit unless you are more than 30 days past due. Which means if you called them on it when you first got the late notice you are okay given that it's not 31 days late. They also do not charge late fees when you are under 30days late. Just as an FYI.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:45 PM

Ah, Ok guys, thanks for the response. Personally I would rather have the suspension than the looks ..
Where in NJ are you? I am in Long Branch by the shore...
Cheers guys,
-P

I'm in the Princeton area
Old 04-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Hell yeah,,,,,

You have the leverage here, i would tell Honda Finance that you are extremely dissapointed and upset that they screwed your trade in up, your new car up, and would not return your calls.. I woul tell them that you no longer want the damn car and that you are going to tell the dealership the same thing (depending on how long you have had the car) Acura is supposed to have world class service (or care about it and strive for world class service) Beleive me nothing motivates sales men an operations manager more than losing a sale and a customer. They will make it right, but some cheap ass visors wont cut it those things look like shit anyways.....

If they assure you they will make it right, i would not ask specifically for certain items, than they think that you are sitting at home trying to figure out what you can squeeze out of them, simply tell them that the stupid visors aren't gonna cut it and ask them what else they can offer you... Keep asking until you find something that you would actually like to have than make the deal

Good luck, for once you have the upper hand on the dealer please use it wisely and make all of us proud and get something that a consumer actually deserves after getin screwed for once

MAKE IT HAPPEN

desper
Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 AM
acura tl 04

I recently purchased my 07 TL-S and the dealer mishandled the whole process. I had to sign another purchase contract because I think they lost the first, I took it in for the "car care paint protection" and they scratched my rear bumper, they did not pay of the loan on the vehicle that I traded in so I got late payment notices from honda finance. I tried to call the dealers finance department to find out what was going on and the girl brushed me off and didnt even look into it. I called yesterday because of another late payment notice on the traded in vehicle, left a message for the same girl and she never returned my call.

Needless to say I was not happy and ended up talking to the GM and he apologized for what has happened, the are going to come and pick up the car to fix the scratch and offered either the window visors or the sunroof visor as a gift to show their gratitude. I would like to see some pictures of a TL with the sunroof visors and the window visors so I can see which one I like better, so please help me out if you can.

Thanks,
deffjeff
it could be worse
Old 04-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Cruisin'

Well they brought my car back to me today and what was once 3 small scratches is now 10,000. It looks like they took sandpaper to the bumper. They took the car back and will fix it, if they have to repaint the bumper then I will ask for a brand new car because the paint will not match. This is by far the worst experience with a dealership that I have ever had.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Return and run away..

Sounds like BS / more of a PITA to me.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by lusid
Return and run away..

Sounds like BS / more of a PITA to me.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:50 PM
WDP Is Faster

Don't get the sunroof visor. i know atleast for the 02 models, i was lucky to take mine off early enough because it made an indention on the top of the roof where it was set on. Just like the mudguards, it made an indention and now you can see down to the metal...i'm guessing if i would've let the sunroof visor stay on just a lil longer, the same thing would've happened. Right now, i still have a lil indention of where the sunroof visor layed..it's noticeable upon closer observation..but not really from far away

oh yea..just like everyone else said..get the aspec. visors don't even worth that much..i don't even think $100
Old 04-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Well they brought my car back to me today and what was once 3 small scratches is now 10,000. It looks like they took sandpaper to the bumper. They took the car back and will fix it, if they have to repaint the bumper then I will ask for a brand new car because the paint will not match. This is by far the worst experience with a dealership that I have ever had.

You are definitely correct in asking for a new car. Even if they repaint it, by performing that, they just significantly deprecciated the value of it. Plus, nothing sticks better than factory paint (obviously an arguable theory, but thats my opinion). As always, Good Luck dude! Hope everything turns out in your favor!
Old 04-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Angry

I wouldn't let them repaint it. If it's anything like my experience, they'll just make it worse.

I found out the hard way, and let the dealership repaint my car after I had it for three weeks. They repainted the Hood, Roof, rear Quarter Panel, & Trunk. (Because of them selling me the car with touchup paint on it and me not noticing... But that's a whole different story)

There were specs of dust in the paint, overspray, and to this day, there are still mistakes, after having it taken back to the dealership 3+ times and having it repainted. There's still paint on the rubber trim, and a few specs of dust in the paint on the roof. It's upsetting to have bought a brand-new TL and have those kind of issues. To top it all off, the time before last that I got the car back, it was covered in swirl marks because they took it through their carwash that touches the car -- after I told them DO NOT WASH IT.

Next time I buy a car, I'll be sure to look it over much closer and hope nothing like that happens again.

Dan
Old 04-07-2007, 01:50 PM

Make them take the car back and go buy a FORD ...haha now on a serious note...return it and get another car (w/e it may be) just make sure you fully check out the car before you take it

Quick Reply: Acura Dealership giving me free stuff, need help!