Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura Dealer trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:15 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Acura Dealer trouble

Here is a story. I own 08 Acura TL Type-S manual tranny, bought it at the end of 2007 new. Currently it has 42K on it. 4 weeks ago i brought it to the Acura of Boston dealer because i have a problem with the 3rd gear not going all the way in and popping out. So dealer looks at the car and says that this problem is covered by the warranty, but... i am told that i have a problem with my clutch, it's almost gone and need a replacement. They told me that they feel a burning smell and it feels funny. And lucky me they will already be removing the tranny so it will be just parts. The price quoted 700-1300 depending on what they find when they disassemble the tranny. Obviously clutch is not covered by the warranty.
So i scheduled another appointment 3 weeks later to bring it in. Meanwhile i asked for another opinion, gave it to another mechanic and he does not feel anything wrong with the clutch. I never feel any burning smell and for those 3 weeks of driving i don't feel anything wrong and no smells.
So 3 weeks later i bring my TL to the dealer and ask them for the test drive so they can show me where exactly they feel a smell. So the guy is driving and i am in the passenger sit and there is no smell whatsoever. Clutch feels fine. So I tell them to only do the warranty work and don't touch the clutch. Also my mechanic recommended me to replace a throwout bearing while there so i tell them to do that as well. So no clutch work, just repair the transmission and a throw out bearing.
They call me a day later and tell me that they lifted the car and they feel a really bad smell and the clutch is bad. I told me not to touch and just do the work I requested. 2 days later they told me that the repairs are delayed. 3 days later they call me that they found some broken solenoid in the card door and it's covered by the warranty so they will replace it but need to keep it over the weekend.
So today (6 days later) they called me and here is a kicker. They told me that the car is undrivable! What?? The clutch failed and the car would not move! They are telling me that because they told me that the clutch was bad it's not their fault. But i drove the car into the dealership, it was fine. I am at a loss of words. It feels like a scam. And they want me to return a loaner that they gave me! crazy. I called Acura USA and they will get back to me. opened a case. Anybody has any advice? Should i lawyer up?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Sounds like they were determined to get you to replace the clutch on your own dime. It's too late now but I would have asked to see the "burned up" clutch when the trans was out. At least that way you would know for sure if they were scamming you or trying to help. A clutch kit is under $400 and that includes clutch, pressure plate, throwout and pilot bearings. $1,300 is insane.

At this point I would get a ride up there (don't take the loaner back) and ask to drive the car. Don't tell them you're coming, just show up. If they say it's not drivable, sit in it anyway and try it out.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Disinformation Terminator

If you have the resources, lawyer up. Sometimes just one simple and direct letter from council frees up logjams like this and gets you the service you deserve.

Yes, it sounds like a scam the way you depicted it above. That is a highly suspicious sequence of events. At the very least, DEMAND that the car is not disassembled in any way, so you can have someone else view the suspected burned up clutch. A deliberately toasted clutch plate can be pretty easy to identify.

Oh yeah, and this:

Originally Posted by I hate cars
At this point I would get a ride up there (don't take the loaner back) and ask to drive the car. Don't tell them you're coming, just show up. If they say it's not drivable, sit in it anyway and try it out.

Last edited by TheMirror; 01-11-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
and you should also print the loads of 3rd gear threads that are in the TL section... you aren't the only one with a notchy 3rd gear that has popped out...
Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
You got fucked OP. The 3rd gear issue is solved by switching to GM SynchroMesh FM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 AM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
IMO its a good thing you took it to another mechanic who confirmed there was nothing wrong with the clutch. I have a feeling you could really kill them in court, if you have the resources as a previous poster mentioned. Who is the dealership?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
acura corporate should help you out....they helped me when the dealership tried to screw me over...keep all your paperwork and records...get your mechanic to write a letter on his shops letter head....hopefully you shouldnt need a lawyer...tell them you will go to the BBB
Old 01-11-2011, 07:20 PM
3rd Gear

The dealership is Acura of Boston.
The update: Acura called me and told me that there is nothing they can do. Thanks Acura! They said that because dealership warned me that the clutch was bad it's not their fault that it failed. Nevermind that i drove it in and was driving it fine for 3 weeks prior to the appointment. The dealership showed me pictures of the burned clutch. what am supposed to do with them? I could never reproduce the problem with me in the car. The mechanic that did a test drive with me said that the clutch pedal comes up a little high, does that imply the imminent failure? i say no. I towed the car to my mechanic. Dealer was not willing to do anything at all to help me. Oh. they wanted to replace the clutch for $2500. ha?!?

I showed up there and the car was not drivable, it would start, i was able to change gears it just would not go anywhere. strange.
A deliberately toasted clutch plate can be pretty easy to identify.
I hope so, it is at the mechanic right, so let's see what he says.
and you should also print the loads of 3rd gear threads that are in the TL section... you aren't the only one with a notchy 3rd gear that has popped out...
This is not about the 3rd gear, i know about gm fluid, i just thought to fix it the right way through the dealer since its covered by the warranty. boy do i regret it...
IMO its a good thing you took it to another mechanic who confirmed there was nothing wrong with the clutch.
he test drove it and didn't feel anything wrong.
acura corporate should help you out
They were totally useless. Way to stand behind your customers Acura.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That really sucks. Did the 3rd pop out EVERYTIME?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Talk to the GM of that dealership. Get real angry, cause a scene if you need to. Tell him that his service department is filled with crooks and that you sent it to 3 (independent and reputable) mechanics regarding the clutch and they said there was 0 problems. Keep getting angry and that you will file a suit if this is not fixed (and warrantied) through them. DO NOT GIVE BACK THE LOANER. DO NOT LET THEM GET LEVERAGE. Explain also that you want all work logs regarding the vehicle and who was in charge. Get all the information you can. I'm sure the GM will fix the issue or talk to the Regional Manager as the Regional Manager of Acura for your location must uphold a certain % of customer service through Acura to hold his/her job.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM
6th Gear

Red face

I hate going to the Dealer!.. Almost everytime I go they always point out something and I say ya ill look into it..Next time in (3000 miles) I take it to the very same place and the guy comes out and says everything looks great or comes back with something else that he recommends replacing..Not once have they come back with the same so called problem in 18k (6 visits!)..
I pointed that out last time I was in and the guy said "Some people look it over better then others"
So do I have to ask him how good my car is going to be looked over everytime I come in?..Now that im asking for it to be looked over are they finding real problems or just finding something to charge me for and say yeah we looked it over real good and found this?..

I hope everything works out and they step up and cover the cost!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Instructor

That sucks OP. I have an 08 TLS and it has 41k miles. When I step on it and run through the gears I notice a burning smell, it doesn't smell like burning tires so im wondering if it's the clutch???

I also had the 3rd gear problem and Crown Acura wouldn't fix it unless the 3rd gear acted up while they test drove the vehicle. Unfortunately it didn't act up and they didn't fix it. My 3rd gear doesn't do it so or often but I figured since it's under warranty they would just fixit, but they didn't. Moral of the story, I don't care to much for Stealerships!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Type Steve -O-
That sucks OP. I have an 08 TLS and it has 41k miles. When I step on it and run through the gears I notice a burning smell, it doesn't smell like burning tires so im wondering if it's the clutch???

I also had the 3rd gear problem and Crown Acura wouldn't fix it unless the 3rd gear acted up while they test drove the vehicle. Unfortunately it didn't act up and they didn't fix it. My 3rd gear doesn't do it so or often but I figured since it's under warranty they would just fixit, but they didn't. Moral of the story, I don't care to much for Stealerships!!!
if you smell burning while you're operating the clutch....you're doing something wrong.

and you should really look into the GM syncromesh Friction modified. it does wonders with the third gear pop out.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
if you smell burning while you're operating the clutch....you're doing something wrong.

and you should really look into the GM syncromesh Friction modified. it does wonders with the third gear pop out.
Thanks, I smell it when I park right before I get on the gas.

I'll have to check out the GM syncromesh friction modified. Is there info on the forum as to where to get it?

Also does it void warranty??

Last edited by Type Steve -O-; 01-12-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Thanks, I smell it when I park right before I get on the gas.

I'll have to check out the GM syncromesh friction modified. Is there info on the forum as to where to get it?

part # 12377916

can get it from any local GM dealers, if they are out of stock an online GM dealer would have it.
no, does not void warranty, butt some have had problems with Honda/Acura dealers putting in the fluid.

I had an independent mechanic change out my cluctch...while he was at it, i had him do the GMSFM
Old 01-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Instructor

part # 12377916

can get it from any local GM dealers, if they are out of stock an online GM dealer would have it.
no, does not void warranty, butt some have had problems with Honda/Acura dealers putting in the fluid.

I had an independent mechanic change out my cluctch...while he was at it, i had him do the GMSFM
Thanks, your help was appreciated. This won't void the tranny warranty will it?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Thanks, your help was appreciated. This won't void the tranny warranty will it?
does not void tranny warranty, but some have had trouble getting acura/honda dealers changing out the fluid.

This is an easy job for DIY.

I had my clutch replaced 11/05/10 and they had to drain the fluid so i just provided the fluid and asked them to put it in.

I only had the occasional third gear grind.
but i am glad to report that I dont have any more problems, what so ever.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Instructor

does not void tranny warranty, but some have had trouble getting acura/honda dealers changing out the fluid.

This is an easy job for DIY.

I had my clutch replaced 11/05/10 and they had to drain the fluid so i just provided the fluid and asked them to put it in.

I only had the occasional third gear grind.
but i am glad to report that I dont have any more problems, what so ever.
Sweet, I'll look into getting some soon.