Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura dealer mechanics- incompetence story

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Acura dealer mechanics- incompetence story

I'm new to this forum. Love the wealth of information and experience available here.
Here is a little story that might add a bit to the pool of knowledge.
I just bought a 2006 TL 6 speed from an outfit called Auto Lenders in New Jersey. I'm from PA, so I didn't get the car inspected until I had all my registration paperwork in place, which took 3 weeks.
I took it to my local Acura dealer- Jones Acura in Lancaster PA for inspection and to see if they can do anything about iffy 3rd gear shifting and stiff power steering at idle.
They told me that I passed inspection, but the other problems could cost me real money since the car is an obvious collision car- it has two new fenders and the transmission case looks like it was replaced as well.
That made me really mad at Auto Lenders since they advertise only bank owned, off lease, guaranteed certified clean vehicles. Anything less than perfect goes straight to the auction.
So I fired a fairly strong-worded letter to them and talked to the manager over the phone as a follow up.
To make sure that I don't end up looking like an idiot, I called Jones Acura and asked, exactly how can you tell the fenders and transmission are not original. They said, the original VIN stickers are missing on both fenders and the transmission doesn't have the the barcode stickers either.
So I set up an appointmet to bring the car back to Auto Lenders and make my case in person. I got there and asked them to see for themselves that the VIN plates are not there. They showed me two other 06 TL's which didn't have the VIN plates on fenders either. I called Jones back and was assured that the VIN plates have to be there in plain sight when you open the hood. Called local NJ Acura dealer, who told me there is no VIN stickers on the fenders of a 06 TL. Finally I called Acura corporate and asked- they said they put VIN stickers on all the major body panels. So we looked a bit more, and found them on the inside of the fenders. You have to take off the wheel and the wheel well liner to see them, but they are there.
We also found the transmission stickers. I apologised to the mechanics and went home. I wasted a vacation day from work.

Basically, Jones Acura in Lancaster PA sent me on a wild goose chase. I just don't know if they did it because they don't know their own product (incompetence), for spite- because I bought my TL from someone else (it's not like they had an 6 speed TL on the lot- I shopped them twice in weeks before I bought it), or because they were hoping to get out of warranty service- so they lied to me on purpose (that would be fraud).
What do you think, should I keep going back to them, or should I establish a relationship with another Acura dealer in the area? There are two others within 20-30 mile drive.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Sorry to hear, I would go to another dealership even if you have to drive a little far away! Good luck man and welcome to acurazine! Would help you more but damn iPhone is a pain to type in
Old 05-23-2009, 01:20 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Thuneau
I'm new to this forum. Love the wealth of information and experience available here.
Here is a little story that might add a bit to the pool of knowledge.
I just bought a 2006 TL 6 speed from an outfit called Auto Lenders in New Jersey. I'm from PA, so I didn't get the car inspected until I had all my registration paperwork in place, which took 3 weeks.
I took it to my local Acura dealer- Jones Acura in Lancaster PA for inspection and to see if they can do anything about iffy 3rd gear shifting and stiff power steering at idle.
They told me that I passed inspection, but the other problems could cost me real money since the car is an obvious collision car- it has two new fenders and the transmission case looks like it was replaced as well.
That made me really mad at Auto Lenders since they advertise only bank owned, off lease, guaranteed certified clean vehicles. Anything less than perfect goes straight to the auction.
So I fired a fairly strong-worded letter to them and talked to the manager over the phone as a follow up.
To make sure that I don't end up looking like an idiot, I called Jones Acura and asked, exactly how can you tell the fenders and transmission are not original. They said, the original VIN stickers are missing on both fenders and the transmission doesn't have the the barcode stickers either.
So I set up an appointmet to bring the car back to Auto Lenders and make my case in person. I got there and asked them to see for themselves that the VIN plates are not there. They showed me two other 06 TL's which didn't have the VIN plates on fenders either. I called Jones back and was assured that the VIN plates have to be there in plain sight when you open the hood. Called local NJ Acura dealer, who told me there is no VIN stickers on the fenders of a 06 TL. Finally I called Acura corporate and asked- they said they put VIN stickers on all the major body panels. So we looked a bit more, and found them on the inside of the fenders. You have to take off the wheel and the wheel well liner to see them, but they are there.
We also found the transmission stickers. I apologised to the mechanics and went home. I wasted a vacation day from work.

Basically, Jones Acura in Lancaster PA sent me on a wild goose chase. I just don't know if they did it because they don't know their own product (incompetence), for spite- because I bought my TL from someone else (it's not like they had an 6 speed TL on the lot- I shopped them twice in weeks before I bought it), or because they were hoping to get out of warranty service- so they lied to me on purpose (that would be fraud).
What do you think, should I keep going back to them, or should I establish a relationship with another Acura dealer in the area? There are two others within 20-30 mile drive.
My good friend, Rex is the service manager at Lehigh Valley Acura in Emmaus, Pa. If you are not far from there I would suggest you go there. Tell him I recommended him.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
My good friend, Rex is the service manager at Lehigh Valley Acura in Emmaus, Pa. If you are not far from there I would suggest you go there. Tell him I recommended him.
Thanks for the recommendation. That's about 50-60 miles away. Seems a bit far, but if it's something serious- like transmission work- it could be well worth it.
Thanks.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:06 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Thuneau
Thanks for the recommendation. That's about 50-60 miles away. Seems a bit far, but if it's something serious- like transmission work- it could be well worth it.
Thanks.
When I first started dealing with him almost 7 years ago (that is how we became good friends) I lived 50 miles away. I now live in NC and still get my car serviced there.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:32 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
When I first started dealing with him almost 7 years ago (that is how we became good friends) I lived 50 miles away. I now live in NC and still get my car serviced there.
Go to the dealerrater website and look up Lehigh Valley Acura.