3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura Corporate is Replacing My Tires (TRULY!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Corporate is Replacing My Tires (TRULY!)

I have posted before on other threads about the flatspotting issue with the tires. In a nutshell, I was told by my service manager back in late Dec. that ACS would have to deal with the tire issue. He agreed that the tires flatspot in the cold (I live in Cincy and this winter has been COLD), as he also drives a new TL. However, the dealer would not unilaterally replace the tires - told me to call ACS -- which I did in early January and again in early February.

Well, I just got a call 10 minutes ago from the service manager. He said ACS just called him and told him to notify me that I'd be receiving new tires in "mid-March" and that he'd call me when they arrived. I asked him what kind of tires and he said he didn't know. He assumed they'd be a different brand of tires (possibly Michelins) but could not confirm. He said that he didn't think they'd be Turanzas since the problem is inherent in the tire design. It is possible Bridgestone is developing a different tire but he doubted it.

I asked him if this was a recall and he said no. ACS is dealing with people on a case by case basis. Anyone who complained about flatspotting is "apparently" getting new tires in March. He said the issue is confined to those who complain and those are almost all in colder climates. He actually likes the handling of the Turanza but doesn't like the nylon belt design, which apparently would not cause flatspotting in warmer climates.

Soooooo, we'll see what I get in March, but good news (for me!), and it is definitely from Acura Corporate. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation Re: Acura Corporate is Replacing My Tires (TRULY!)...

Great... It's good for you... Congratulations...

But, how come I don't get it yet if this is an order passing by ACS.

I have called to ACS since November/December... and keep calling them twice monthly... Probably ACS puts a small flag on my account and indicates this guy should not recieve any new tires until the end of Summer...
Old 02-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Racer

Re: Acura Corporate is Replacing My Tires (TRULY!)

Originally posted by Wildcat Jon
I have posted before on other threads about the flatspotting issue with the tires. In a nutshell, I was told by my service manager back in late Dec. that ACS would have to deal with the tire issue. He agreed that the tires flatspot in the cold (I live in Cincy and this winter has been COLD), as he also drives a new TL. However, the dealer would not unilaterally replace the tires - told me to call ACS -- which I did in early January and again in early February.

Well, I just got a call 10 minutes ago from the service manager. He said ACS just called him and told him to notify me that I'd be receiving new tires in "mid-March" and that he'd call me when they arrived. I asked him what kind of tires and he said he didn't know. He assumed they'd be a different brand of tires (possibly Michelins) but could not confirm. He said that he didn't think they'd be Turanzas since the problem is inherent in the tire design. It is possible Bridgestone is developing a different tire but he doubted it.

I asked him if this was a recall and he said no. ACS is dealing with people on a case by case basis. Anyone who complained about flatspotting is "apparently" getting new tires in March. He said the issue is confined to those who complain and those are almost all in colder climates. He actually likes the handling of the Turanza but doesn't like the nylon belt design, which apparently would not cause flatspotting in warmer climates.

Soooooo, we'll see what I get in March, but good news (for me!), and it is definitely from Acura Corporate. Thanks.
Wildcat- from what I understand, Bridgestone is replacing the tires with other Bridgestones. Take it for what it is worth...
Old 02-19-2004, 12:45 PM
9th Gear

My Serv. Manager told me yesterday that a general service bulletin would be coming out in 60 days to replace all tires. He did NOT know what they will be using for replacement.

Walt
Old 02-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Instructor

My SM said he didn't expect any wholesale replacement of tires because many people don't even notice the flatspotting (those I guess who immediately drive in stop and go traffic as opposed to higher speeds after the car has been sitting for awhile).

He said his understanding from the call from ACS was that others would be getting replacements IF they had called ACS to lodge a complaint. No recall or SB. I'm just conveying what he said.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
My SM said he didn't expect any wholesale replacement of tires because many people don't even notice the flatspotting (those I guess who immediately drive in stop and go traffic as opposed to higher speeds after the car has been sitting for awhile).

He said his understanding from the call from ACS was that others would be getting replacements IF they had called ACS to lodge a complaint. No recall or SB. I'm just conveying what he said.

Thanks. I hope my stupid dealer would say something to me soon...
Old 02-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Which Cincy dealer

Wildcat, which dealer in Cincy are you working with? Got mine from Columbia.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Columbia. Purchased in mid Dec. 5AT. 3100 miles on it.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:30 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

When you get your tires replaced, how do you reset your MID so that it doesn't bug you about tire rotation? Otherwise it's going to come up with a service required at 6000 miles when you might have 20 on your new tires.

But that said, I don't want to reset the oil change indicator, just the tire one...
Old 02-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Lore, good question. I'll ask when I get the tires replaced, but I may have about 5000 miles on the car by the time I get the new tires, so it might be time for the first oil change anyway? I"m at 60% oil life now on 3100 miles.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:03 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Wildcat: You may have it slightly easier than me then. I'm at 70% (it just turned 70% on me yesterday) and about 2000 miles. By the time I get my new tires, I'll probably be at about 2300 - 2400.

That means I still have a good 4000 miles or so before an oil change and at least 6000 before I have to rotate my tires. It's going to be off, but maybe I'll just get them rotated early when I get the oil changed.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Lore, have you gotten an official notice from the dealer of a tire replacement? Has anyone else? I got the call on Thursday.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No official notice here. All I can say is my dealer told me "We will get you some new tires in March". I was told this is late January.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:59 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Lore, have you gotten an official notice from the dealer of a tire replacement? Has anyone else? I got the call on Thursday.
No official notice, just a call from the service manager informing me that the factory sent 4 new tires for me specifically... and should arrive in 2 weeks.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Instructor

Lore and dcarlin, any thoughts on whether revamped BS tires or Michies? My guy didn't know; just said you'd have 4 new tires in March. But, he said he "assumed" they wouldn't be BS tires.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Banned

Lore and dcarlin, any thoughts on whether revamped BS tires or Michies? My guy didn't know; just said you'd have 4 new tires in March. But, he said he "assumed" they wouldn't be BS tires.
Jon, No official notice, but my dealer said they got a set in, and they are the BS EL-42's.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No official word on the tire brand here either. I did tell my dealer I did not want Bridgestones. He said something like "that shouldn't be a problem". We'll see.

I have already talked to my local tire dealer that sells the Michelins as part of my plan B. I told them that I would be getting new tires from the dealer and that they may not be the tires I want and would they take as a trade/credit towards some Michelins. They said yes but couldn't tell me how much...yet. I am going to call my dealer Monday morning to see if he has any news and to find out if I need to lodge a complaint.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:45 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

The 4 tires that are coming my way are still Bridgestone Tuaranzas. They've got a new compound to prevent the flatspotting but beyond that, nothing's changed
Old 02-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Instructor

If they are Turanzas, then are they built without nylon belts? If not, how can they solve the problem? I may ask/demand switch outs to Michies if this is the case.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Advanced

I'll tell you... I am really worried that Acura is trying to push this flat-spotting issue into March, then April, then Voila! Problem cured because Winter goes away!
I am very concerned.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Intermediate

tires SUCK

I've had my TL since Dec. 24th. I keep hearing from Acura and my local dealer that Acura is talking and a resolution to their sub par stock tires is coming.

I"m still waiting.

I"d not been to this forum in a month and thought I'd find some GOOD news.

NO good news it seems?

I"ll start calling my dealer and Acura, again, Monday morning.

I'm beyond being tired of my brand new car a) flat spotting several times a day, b) sliding out on rainy roads where i've NEVER had a problem before in other cars and c) bicycle like-tires in the snow.

Pete