Sponsored by:

Acura (the company) stinks - Transmission Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura (the company) stinks - Transmission Recall

I am very disappointed in Acura.

I got my 2004 TL in February 2004. In September 2004 I had a serious problem. Please forgive my tech ignorance in this description: The seal on the spark plugs broke and the coils melted into the engine head (or something bad like that). I'm not going to bore you will all the details, but the dealer had my car for a month. I kept getting different stories about what the problem was. Evenutually I showed up and raised a LOUD stink. The service manager said if they couldn't find the part they were looking for within one more week, they would give me a new car (I have a lease btw). Magically, they found the part one day before the month expired.

The car has been fine since then.

Today, I got a safety recall telling me about transmission lockup. The notice said it was my 3rd warning, when in reality THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I AM HEARING ABOUT THIS! This is totally unacceptable. I asked Acura (the 1-800 number) why they are telling me it was my 3rd notice when it was my first. They said the first notice went out in June! Shouldn't the dealer have dealt with this potentially dangerous situation when my car was in their shop for a whole month??
It was never even mentioned.

Now I have to waste more of my time and worry about my safety until I can get this resolved. And I may need a new transmission??

THIS SUCKS.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lemon law anybody?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by KingsX
...Today, I got a safety recall telling me about transmission lockup....
Sorry to hear that. Do you mind telling us a little more about this safety recall? What info did you get? What's its details about this "lockup" thing?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
lemon law anybody?
^^^^ What he said!!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

lemon law anybody?

Lemon law only works if the same problem is attempted to get fixed 3 times
Old 05-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by TL-N
Lemon law only works if the same problem is attempted to get fixed 3 times

Just because a car has a safety recall doesn't mean it is a lemon.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

But his car was in the shop for nearly a month. Most states lemon laws allow for a repurchase/replacement if there has been 30 days of repairs on the vehicle within the first year or two of ownership.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Team Owner

The car wasn't in for repairs the entire time. If they are waiting on parts, etc. that doesn't fall under the lemon law. They fixed it once and they fixed it correctly (unless it happens again).
Old 05-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrsteve
The car wasn't in for repairs the entire time. If they are waiting on parts, etc. that doesn't fall under the lemon law. They fixed it once and they fixed it correctly (unless it happens again).

"but the dealer had my car for a month"

And yes, it does fall under the lemon law. For example in Michigan, if the vehicle is out of service for thirty or more days it is eligible to be repurchased under the lemon law.

It does not matter if they are waiting for a part or not. If the car is not in the posession of the owner and cannot be driven, every singel one of those days counts towards the lemon law period.

In this case, it does not matter if it was repaired properly once or not. If he meets the 30 day requirement (varies by state) then the car will be repurchased.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Cruisin'

Ok, here is the text from the recall:

Acura Safety Recall Reminder: Transmission Inspection/Repair Last summer and last fall, we reminded you of an important safety recall involving your vehicle. Heat buildup in the transmission can lead to gear damage. If left unrepaired, gear damage could cause the transmission to lock up, and you could experience a crash. As you put more miles on your vehicle, the likelihood of transmission lock up increases. To prevent this problem, your Acura dealer will inspect the transmission and make all needed repairs. This work will be done free of charge. This is the third time we have attempted to contact you. Please contact your Acura dealer immediately and make an appointment for the inspection/repair.

The more I read this, the madder I get. THEY DID NOT ATTEMPT TO CONTACT ME ABOUT THIS BEFORE. EVER. Yet, they lie and say it is the third contact attempt.
Unbelievable.

(and trust me, I live alone, and do not throw out my mail. i have not moved, and it is highly unlikely this piece of mail could have been lost twice.)

Anyone else have this? When were you contacted? What happened to your car?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you may definatley get some compensation of some sort out of this...where in new jersey are u from and which dealership do u go to?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Acura Safety Recall Reminder: Transmission Inspection/Repair Last summer and last fall, we reminded you of an important safety recall involving your vehicle. Heat buildup in the transmission can lead to gear damage. If left unrepaired, gear damage could cause the transmission to lock up, and you could experience a crash. As you put more miles on your vehicle, the likelihood of transmission lock up increases. To prevent this problem, your Acura dealer will inspect the transmission and make all needed repairs. This work will be done free of charge. This is the third time we have attempted to contact you. Please contact your Acura dealer immediately and make an appointment for the inspection/repair.

The more I read this, the madder I get. THEY DID NOT ATTEMPT TO CONTACT ME ABOUT THIS BEFORE. EVER. Yet, they lie and say it is the third contact attempt.
Unbelievable.

(and trust me, I live alone, and do not throw out my mail. i have not moved, and it is highly unlikely this piece of mail could have been lost twice.)

So did it state it's the 2nd gear inspection? Or what?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:38 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Very curious. I got my car in January 2004 and it was not subject to the recall. What are the last 5 digits of your VIN?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Team Owner

\ If he meets the 30 day requirement (varies by state) then the car will be repurchased.

His car is leased...
Old 05-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrsteve
His car is leased...

Doesn't matter. He would get his lease payments back minus the usage (as calculated by the state) or would get a replacement for the exact same car. The only thing that would change on the lease agreement would be the vin#. The monthly payments and the number of remaining payments would not change.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:04 AM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I guess that's one of many reasons I read this forum.. So I can find out potential/known issues and how to handle them...
Old 05-11-2005, 06:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLTrance
Not to hijack the thread, but I guess that's one of many reasons I read this forum.. So I can find out potential/known issues and how to handle them...
No problem. Have a look around and ask away. I take it you don't have yoru TL yet? Check the 3G Garage for common and unusual problems:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84831
Old 05-11-2005, 06:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope not a lemon.. They had the car a month because of parts availability and provided him with a free loaner...correct? yes that is a long period of time. It was not like they tried to fix it and failed 3 times.

The oil jet was in 04 and even my fromer 2g model was recalled for that. As for the comment about compensation LOL yeah ok... They will fix what's wrong and give you a loaner. And you want some cash for taking the car to the dealer.

They are what they are... maybe people are a tad fussier here and expecting more out of the brand. But, I have own acuras back to the 80s and their cars are now cheaper and the quality is not there..
Old 05-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rets
So did it state it's the 2nd gear inspection? Or what?

Thanks.

Its the same recall
Old 05-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Advanced

Wink

Unbelievable.

I just received that letter and did receive another notice about the recall but it was a postcard. If you did not pay attention you may have missed it.

What concerns me is that I took my car in for the recall and I still received the third notice....Acura's record keeping is as good as our paint
Old 05-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Chingrin
I just received that letter and did receive another notice about the recall but it was a postcard. If you did not pay attention you may have missed it.

What concerns me is that I took my car in for the recall and I still received the third notice....Acura's record keeping is as good as our paint

Thats bullshit on the part of Acura, they are just trying to cover their legal ass by saying they did everything possible to contact you. I would stick it to them.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Its the same recall
I guess so. I just like to hear what he said...

We here got the info about the possible major recall for the tranny in the end of June, 04. 2 weeks later, Acura dealers just start to arrange all the recall businesses. This thread was the first one revealing the news. Hopefully our forums could continue to provide the useful and informative news to every member. Thanks all your helps, guys.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mickey3c
Nope not a lemon.. They had the car a month because of parts availability and provided him with a free loaner...correct? yes that is a long period of time. It was not like they tried to fix it and failed 3 times.
According to the Michigan Lemon Law Summary (see bold sections):

(5) It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to repair a defect or condition if 1 of the following occurs:

(a) The same defect or condition that substantially impairs the use or value of the new motor vehicle to the consumer has been subject to repair a total of 4 or more times by the manufacturer or new motor vehicle dealer within 2 years of the date of the first attempt to repair the defect or condition, and the defect or condition continues to exist. Any repair performed on the same defect made pursuant to subsection (6) shall be included in calculating the number of repairs under this section. The consumer or his or her representative, before availing himself or herself of a remedy provided under subsection (1), and any time after the third attempt to repair the same defect or condition, shall give written notification, by return receipt service, to the manufacturer of the need for repair of the defect or condition in order to allow the manufacturer an opportunity to cure the defect or condition. The manufacturer shall notify the consumer as soon as reasonably possible of a reasonably accessible repair facility. After delivery of the vehicle to the designated repair facility, the manufacturer has 5 business days to repair the defect or condition.

(b) The new motor vehicle is out of service because of repairs for a total of 30 or more days or parts of days during the term of the manufacturer's express warranty, or within 1 year from the date of delivery to the original consumer, whichever is earlier. The consumer, or his or her representative, before availing himself or herself of a remedy provided under subsection (1), and after the vehicle has been out of service for at least 25 days in a repair facility, shall give written notification by return receipt service to the manufacturer of the need for repair of the defect or condition in order to allow the manufacturer an opportunity to cure the defect or condition. The manufacturer shall notify the consumer as soon as reasonably possible of a reasonably accessible repair facility. After delivery of the vehicle to the designated repair facility, the manufacturer has 5 business days to repair the defect or condition.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
As Vikram mentioned 3 times above that the LAWS are different (DEPENDING UPON THE STATE) so he is just mentioning to check King's state lemon laws...How the hell are you so sure about lemon law in other states...I dont see why the hell people are arguing on something that is of no matter here. all people are trying to suggest to king is that he should check out the possibility...

They are what they are... maybe people are a tad fussier here and expecting more out of the brand. But, I have own acuras back to the 80s and their cars are now cheaper and the quality is not there..
why the hell not fuss and comment about bull shit like King is mentioning above (that he only got 1 letter and it said 3rd notice)...when everybody is paying $35 K for their freeking cars...and on top of all this is a safety issue...screw the fact that this is supposetly a "entry level luxury" (not trying to start an argument on that) but something like this should be handled better even if it was a damn kia....

The oil jet was in 04 and even my fromer 2g model was recalled for that. As for the comment about compensation LOL yeah ok... They will fix what's wrong and give you a loaner. And you want some cash for taking the car to the dealer.
I agree with you on this one...as long as they are fixing your car to your satisfaction and giving you a loaner you should be good...for sure they aint giving you cash...unless the dealer throws in a oilchange or something for free for the inconvinience...
Old 05-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I briefly went through parts of the NJ lemon law

a. It is presumed that a manufacturer or its dealer is unable to repair or correct a nonconformity within a reasonable time if, within the first 18,000 miles of operation or during the period of two years following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever is the earlier date:

(1) Substantially the same nonconformity has been subject to repair three or more times by the manufacturer or its dealer and the nonconformity continues to exist; or

(2) The motor vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 20 or more calendar days since the original delivery of the motor vehicle and a nonconformity continues to exist.

From that, it tells me that if there is still ANY nonconformity existing, he qualifies for the lemon law. I would SERIOUSLY consider pursuing the lemon law if you can verify that it applies to your case. Call up a lemon law attorney and see what they say about the case. If you vehicle does qualify, you can go through them or possibly arbitration with the BBB (as I did with my Infiniti)

There is no sense in you keeping the car if you can get a brand new replacement or your money back. At least that's the way I see it. But you must have some nonconformity still existing to qualify - at least that is my guess here, a lemon law attorney for your state would know better than I would.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

What's the last 5 of you VIN. Sounds as if you have an early build.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Lore
Very curious. I got my car in January 2004 and it was not subject to the recall. What are the last 5 digits of your VIN?
Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
What's the last 5 of you VIN. Sounds as if you have an early build.
Less than 014224??? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Cruisin'

The last 5 digits of my VIN: 11211

Regarding my problem from September 2004, whatever they did to fix it seems to have worked. The car has been fine since then. However, I was very disappointed with the way I was treated during that month. I kept getting different stories and was evenutally promised a new vehicle if they couldn't find the missing parts by the end of the 30 day period. Magically they fixed the car without actually getting the parts right at the 30 day mark. I suppose I'll never really know what happened. They did credit me for one month lease payment (after I basically had to sign my life away in a waiver which was also very suspicious).

Anyway, that problem seems to be in the past, and I am now concerned about this transmission recall. I called my dealer this morning - he could not explain why I was told this was my third notice when in fact it was my first. He did say that the problem would likely occur on a vehicle with many miles (I only have about 12,000) and that I shouldn't worry. I'm getting the work done on May 28th (there goes my Memorial Day weekend).

All of this is really a shame, since i love the damn car. I'm glad its a lease, so even if I decide to get another TL, at least I'll have a brand new one in Feb 2007, instead of dealing with a car I own. This has always been the reason why I lease - no long term attachments.

I hope my dealer was right when he said I shouldn't worry about this transmission problem given that my car is low mileage. If anyone can comment on this I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Lightbulb

KingsX, I cannot really tell you if what he said is right or not... but understanding the info below may help you a little bit...

Originally Posted by rets
From Owner Link of Acura... Enter you VIN, and it will display this page if yours is affected.

April 26, 2004

Recall Campaign: Automatic Transmission Second Gear Inspection

Dear Acura Owner:

Your vehicle is affected by the automatic transmission recall that was recently announced.

What is the problem?
Certain operating conditions can result in heat build-up between the second gears of the transmission's countershaft and secondary shaft. Prolonged operation under these conditions can eventually result in a decrease in the gear's material strength. In higher mileage vehicles, this may lead to chipped or broken gear teeth or, in rare instances, gear failure.

What are "certain operating conditions"?
Extended cruising in top gear with a high engine load but small throttle opening can result in limited oil flow to second gear, causing localized heat build-up. These conditions should be rare. Examples may include extended towing in top gear on a very flat road with a throttle opening of 1/4 or less; or frequent driving up a road with a very consistent slope of approximately 3.5~6%, again maintaining a throttle opening around 1/4 or less.

Under most circumstances, small road undulations or throttle corrections cause the vehicle to go in and out of torque converter lock-up, varying engine rpm, and therefore increasing oil flow to the gears. Increased oil flow dissipates heat and prevents second gear damage.

What should I do now? Can I continue to drive?
Occurrences of lock-up due to gear breakage are very rare, especially at low mileage. There are no confirmed failures in U.S. vehicles with mileage less than 60,000 miles. Acura will notify customers to visit their dealership according to vehicle age, allowing us to efficiently schedule parts and repairs. Please contact your dealer when you receive your notice, or sooner if you notice any abnormal noises from your transmission.

How and when will Acura begin to notify owners?
Mailings began in early May and will continue until September or until all customers have been notified. We recommend that customers wait until they are notified before trying to schedule an appointment. This will allow us to carry out the most efficient, effective and timely campaign.

What is the dealer looking for when inspecting the transmission?
Vehicles with less than 15,000 miles - The technician will update the transmission with a simple modification to the oil cooler return line to increase lubrication to second gear.

Vehicles with more than 15,000 miles - The technician will inspect the second gear for discoloration of the gear due to heat damage. If there is any evidence of heat damage, the transmission will be replaced. If discoloration is not present, the dealer will perform the modification to the oil cooler return line.

What is this "simple modification to the oil cooler return line"?
It is a relatively simple repair involving the installation of an "oil jet kit" that is mounted on the top of the transmission. The modification works by taking a portion of the transmission fluid that is flowing back from the cooling system and spraying that fluid directly onto the affected gear, eliminating the potential for heat damage.

How can I be sure I won't have problems with this repair in later years, after the warranty period has expired?
For vehicles affected by this campaign, installation of the oil kit provides a permanent repair.

Should my vehicle be towed to the dealership?
If you experience transmission noise or transmission lock-up, the vehicle should be towed to the dealership. If not, it can be driven to the dealership when the appointment is scheduled.

Is there a way for me or my independent repair facility to diagnose this problem?
No, your vehicle must be taken to an authorized Acura dealership for a thorough inspection and accurate repair.

Why is the dealer repair different from the manufacturing repair?
The manufacturing change was relatively easy to accomplish during transmission production, but to apply the same repair at the dealership would require transmission removal and disassembly. Installation of the oil kit is a permanent repair that is easily accomplished at the dealership.

I didn't realize they have this until StatGuy posted this, what I've done is just to make it vivid and easy to read... :o http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...&postcount=178

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...70&postcount=4
Old 05-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Racer

I did a Lemon Law on my 01 cls but that was before all of this stuff about the tranny came to light, so I was able to get my car replaced. I used the argument, directly from the CA lemon law, during my testimony, that tranny failure on the freeway can cause "great bodily harm or death" and I repeated it many times during my interview. I represented myselft, and the guy from American Honda was an idiot. They tried to say they extended the warranty to 100K miles, but I was like "if they could have fixed it they would have already.

Use bbb.org (auto) Honda has an agreement to binding arbitation.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gcook
I did a Lemon Law on my 01 cls but that was before all of this stuff about the tranny came to light, so I was able to get my car replaced. I used the argument, directly from the CA lemon law, during my testimony, that tranny failure on the freeway can cause "great bodily harm or death" and I repeated it many times during my interview. I represented myselft, and the guy from American Honda was an idiot. They tried to say they extended the warranty to 100K miles, but I was like "if they could have fixed it they would have already.

Use bbb.org (auto) Honda has an agreement to binding arbitation.

I agree with the BBB Autoline program idea. I fought to get a lemon repurchased last summer. There is a thread somewhere around here with my thoughts and the entire process.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Advanced

I got that same postcard from Acura this week. It was actually the third notice I got. Problem is, the recall was on the Gen 2 TL I traded in for the '04 TL. I also had the transmission replaced on the Gen 2 before it was traded. And I even sent the recall notice back to Acura, the first time, telling them I no longer owned the car and it was residing at their dealership. Apparently, they don't read... but they are persistent little buggers.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by randath
I got that same postcard from Acura this week. It was actually the third notice I got. Problem is, the recall was on the Gen 2 TL I traded in for the '04 TL. I also had the transmission replaced on the Gen 2 before it was traded. And I even sent the recall notice back to Acura, the first time, telling them I no longer owned the car and it was residing at their dealership. Apparently, they don't read... but they are persistent little buggers.
Lol, the same thing happened on my friend, too. He got the notice in the end of 04, and was kind of panic why his 3GTL got the tranny recall. He then showed it to me. It was actually the recall for his old/returned 2G leased TL. I told him that his late-build 04TL already has the build-in oil jet kit.

Checking Ownerlink would be helpful...
Old 05-11-2005, 10:52 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Most of these mass mailings are automatic and computer generated. To reply in anything but the way they suggest is a waste of time and energy. Even if the computer screwed up twice and did not send the notice it doesn't matter. The main thing is that they did in fact contact you before you had a problem. They are going to do the modification; no harm, no foul. If the holiday weekend does not work for you just change it to a time that does.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Racer

The even worse thing is that we here are a drop in the bucket in total TL customers. There are thousands and tens of thousands of owners and people going to buy a used Tl with no clue.....

Sad.....