Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura Client Services...a Joke

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 01:34 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura Client Services...a Joke

After having to deal with Acura Client Services on a few occasions for "small problems" like tranmissions and brakes (can you detect the sarcasm?), I can honestly say that I am truly shocked with the poor quality of support that Honda/Acura gives to it's customers. I was assigned a "case manager" that refused to give me his name (give me a break!!) but I found out later it was Geremy Birkinshaw. I could not believe his angry, arrogant attitude with a customer that currently owns 2 Acuras and had been a regular Honda/Acura customer for years. I must admit his attitude did change somewhat when he found out that I knew his name and could easily identify him. I have had better customer support with electric can openers than with expensive acura automobiles.
I really think that ACS causes more problems than it solves.It would serve Honda/Acura to downsize ACS and staff it with a few good people then use the money saved to fix all the bad trannys and other problems Honda is facing. Thank you for letting me vent...
Old 08-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, that blows goat balls. It sucks to hear about things like this and wish there was something I could do to help. But please don’t let one nut sack tea bagger ruin it for you though. I have had Acura’s for the past 5 years and have nothing but good experience with them.

I wish you luck and maybe ask if there is someone else that you could work with.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck. Always try speaking with someone higher up, Always works for me.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got HOSED as well by ACS. Basically what it comes down to is that you are truly helpless if Acura refuses to fix your car for whatever reason. It is absolutely obsurd. I was really hoping to write a letter to Honda of America or Acura of Japan, but never got around to it. I have owned 4 brand new acuras, and I still get treated like crap. They also refused to give me their name as well when I called. Basically, it makes it NEAR impossible to complain because you are giving Acura no names, or any description of the person, and they think you are just a disgruntled customer and pay no mind to you. It's wonderful. I should NOT have bought another Acura after this kind of service, but I did because I truly love the vehicles. I wish we could somehow make a change.....any suggestions??
Old 08-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Semper Fi

Acura customer service is horrible thats why after this TL I have no future plans to ever purchase another Acura again. I guess Lexus customer service has spoiled me. Love the TL hate the service.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Advanced

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I've personally never had anything but good responses from American Honda.

My previous car ('99 Accord EX-V6 Coupe) had to have the sunroof replaced twice in less than 5 years because the rubber seal was disintegrating...possibly due to a factory-misaligned track. Same spot both times...looked like sun damage and cracking, but there was no fading and my cars are always garage parked.

First time, it was replaced under warranty no problem. Second time, which happened conveniently a few short months after the warranty on the original repair expired, the dealer tried to tell me rodents were chewing through the rubber. What?! There were never any footprints, scratches, any sign at all of rodents on or near my car. "Well, some plastics contain sugars that attract animals. We've seen it happen with wiring harnesses before," the dealer rep said. I asked "Why aren't they chewing any other part of the car if that's the case?" Dealer: "Ummm....let me check with my regional and get back to you."

The regional rep wouldn't do anything. I called American Honda. My case manager worked with the dealer to get up to speed on my situation then agreed to do a goodwill repair/replacement free of charge. He even ordered the parts and helped schedule the appointment ASAP. In the end, the dealer even ate the labor, so the repair was free. That car was my thrid Honda/Acura so they do reward owner loyalty...at least sometimes.

I hope this type of story is more common from Honda/Acura customer service than yours. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:17 PM
100k miles club

Boo ACS

My family always owned Honda which is why it lead me to buy an Acura. Well just like ali and jazz, I too have had bad experience. See I never had to call customer service with any of the cars we've had which is why I thought Honda was great. Then I buy a TL. Great car but not perfect. This was the first car I'd ever had to call customer service on so I had no prior experience with Honda's customer service. Boy what a let down! Unlike jazz I knew who my case manager was but my guess is her phone might be broken coz it can't dial my number . That has to be the reason coz it took me 4 calls, in a span of a week, after the initial call and finally get a call back from her.

I was so into getting an MDX as my next car but after that experience I'm changing my mind. Now I see why Land Rover, BMW, Benz, etc. charge more for their products - not only are you paying for the quality of the vehicle, but the service that comes along with it. So far, my ass was wet from kisses while buying the car. Now that I own it, my ass has nothing but skid marks from all the kicks I get from ACS and my f-ing dealer

I still love my TL though

If I had a wish to use my wish would be for Toyota or any other company who cares about customers who have already bought the car to have built the TL - oh and have it built in Japan and not in Ohio
Old 08-04-2004, 02:18 PM
9th Gear

Service in TALLY

Jazzpicker - Did you buy your TL from Proctor? I bought mine about a month ago and have not had to go into the service dept yet...I can tell you one thing, they had better make sure they give us good service, cause there are other $35,000 we all COULD have bought, but chose TL's and believe me, district managers will hear about this if this continues.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Drifting

There really is nothing worse than poor service. In my job, at all times, I am professional. And it seems like the population of ignorant, nasty people is on the rise fast, which makes trying to keep your cool all the more difficult! But what gets me is how it it really is so easy to accomodate most customers demands, but they insist on taking the low road and turning it into a federal case? For those of you that are on you 3rd and 4th Acura, this behavior in customer service is all the more appalling. In Acura defense, if the customer is nasty and rude, the customer shouldn't expect 5 star service. I have found that killing them with kindness throws them for such a loop, they usually will be willing to bend over backwards for you.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura Client Services stinks. I dealt with them in the context of my repeated transmission problems (among other issues) on my 2003 TL-S. They could not have cared less. They made an art out of stonewalling. They made vague promises of helpfulness, but in the end, it was clear their goal was to minimize the company's expense and exposure--zero interest in the happiness of the customer.

I did something about it; I went to war. And as a result, after a knock out in the first round, I won a full repurchase of the vehicle in arbitration. Only because I was made the proverbial offer I couldn't refuse--one that was a function of the dealer, not so much Acura, since they could care less--did I end up with the 2004 TL. So far, thankfully, it's been a great car--unbelievably better than the 2003. I hope I have no problems, since I know I will get no satisfaction from Acura.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ACURA TL TALLY
Jazzpicker - Did you buy your TL from Proctor? I bought mine about a month ago and have not had to go into the service dept yet...I can tell you one thing, they had better make sure they give us good service, cause there are other $35,000 we all COULD have bought, but chose TL's and believe me, district managers will hear about this if this continues.
Yes, I have bought a total of 4 cars from Proctor and have been generally pleased with their service. Fred Lee, the General Manager is a fine man and has helped me with purchases there. I have the highest respect for him.
The Service Manager..(Will not mention names for fear of reprisal) comes across as a nice guy but don't be fooled, he his taken my few service requests very lightly. For example after reporting some tranny issues with my 2nd gen TL, he told my wife to "just drive it in 4th gear", not bothering to help repair the car...Now we are about to have another issue with warped brake rotors at 26,000 miles. Proctor's service rep told me they decide warranty repair on a "case by case" basis...Maybe flip a coin or something.
Yesterday met with Cathy Louder (Troubleshooter to the president) What can I say?, she works for the company..a smile, a pat on the back and out the door....HUGE DISSAPPOINTMENT....
I guess that I am becoming a pain in the ass to Proctor/Acura but I have >$70k invested in their products and own a defective 2nd gen car. I think I have some reason to complain.
It seems that the service manager controls all there and he is afraid to help the customers...Oh well...
BTW, don't expect a damn thing from acura client services /district managers etc...The dealership calls the shots.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
believing their service is not a joke is a bigger joke.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:53 PM
10th Gear

One of the reasons ACS is so bad is that they send all the entry level positions through that job. (According to my district manager) This is the reason I had to file for a lemon law buy back. Whey I contaced ACS after my car was painted for the second time, I told the person (Rachel - hope no else gets stuck w/ her) that I was dissapointed that they had my car for over two weeks and still not fixed yet. Her repsone: Well, there's nothing I can do. Would you like the fax number to submit a lemon law claim? From what I'm seeing this is the only way to get any service from Acura. Since, I filed my claim (see thread for Florida Lemon Law) they have sent my case to the Honda of America mediation department. Honda has said that if they paint isn't to factory condition this time around, they'll put me in a new car. Funny thing, you always get surveys from Acura regarding treatment at the dealers, but never how they have treated you.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Instructor

To be more specific with my problems....my shifter on my RSX Type S broke while driving in traffic one day. YES, it JUST BROKE! All of a sudden, it was like there was no linkage within the transmission. Anyway, I had it towed to Acura (nearest dealership to my house is 1 hour away) and they said they would look at it. I bought the extended warrantee on the car, so knew everything was going to be okay. They said that a regional supervisor needed to "evaluate" my car to see IF they would fix it.
They then came back to me that they WILL NOT fix my car because I had installed aftermarket parts on the car. I spoke to Lauren at Acura Care asked if they could send me a WRITTEN NOTIFICATION of that decision. They said no. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and they kind of just blew me off and said they would fax it to me....needless to say..I never got the fax or the written letter. I also requested that the service manager at the dealership give me a letter in writing stating that my warrantee coverage was being declined because.....he refused as well. HA HA HA!! WONDERFUL!
The reason I wanted a written letter is because there is laws that protect you from being rejected warrantee work due to aftermarket products. Acura stated that they would not repair the "broken shifter" on my car because I had a Comptech Exhaust, Icebox, and Springs. Hmm...last time I checked, those have NOTHING to do with my shifter!!!! I contacted a lawyer and quickly became knowledgable about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(c))
Go to www.sema.org/content/?id=8128 to read more about this act in detail. What it basically states is that "Warrantee coverage cannot be declined simply because aftermarket parts have been installed on a vehicle. You must unequivocally prove that the reason for the failing parts was caused by that specific aftermarket part. There is laws that back you "tuners" up, but apparently no one at ACS cared. I called them again, and then they changed their tune instantly and said they weren't fixing it because "The car has been raced." OH!!! WOW!! I didn't know you all have cameras in my car and knew what I did, because if you did, you would know I don't race this vehicle! The other funny side note, is that the RSX S is BUILT on the platform of a racecar and is made for that! I had all Comptech parts dealer installed, and they still wouldn't fix it. Their solution was for them to "tear down" my tranny and charge me $800 to find out what is wrong. I said NO, I wasn't going to pay. After calling person after person after person, I finally went to the GM of my dealership that I bought one of my 4 Acuras from, and he called the Regional Service Manager. AS SOON as he got wind of the situtation, he immediately paid for the repair as a "one time good will" for me and everything was fine.
ACS is a WRETCHED being, and not helpful to anyone who has an Acura when you have a problem. My suggestion is find out who you regional service manager is and contacting them directly. But beware, because they won't give out their names and phone numbers a lot, so you have to be creative in your ways of getting this info.
Needless to say, I'm keeping my TL stock, and not touching it, and DEFINATELY not buying the extended warrantee, because Acura doesn't want to pay for anything anyway! The fact of the matter is that, and this is a quote from Acura: "Acura Care has the final say. No assistance will be given until you pay to have your transmission torn down." GRRRR!!!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Drifting

WOW....this sucks guys!! Personally, I've never had any trouble with any of my Acuras..but if I did...I'd really be upset about this kind of treatment. It's really a shame how some lame brain idiots working for minimum wage can ruin the image of a great automobile company. Acura needs to get with the program and learn that their best asset is a satesfied customer...no matter how great a car they produce..without happy customers...they have shit!!!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Racer

Customer survey from ACS

A couple of weeks ago, I received a survey in the mail from acura (main office) questioning me about my last service visit...I was truthful and straight forward with my answers. Some of my answers were not complimentry. I visited the dealership this week and the person that I talked with let me know that they had received a copy of the survey. I don't think the dealership staff was pleased..(to say the least) with my survey response. I think this is the start of a rocky relationship with the dealership. So be careful of what you say on the surveys if you don't want the info to get back to your local dealer..I have an appointment in 2 more days and will see how things go. I really don't care what the dealership thinks but I would like to maintain a decent relationship with the service staff since I have 2 Acuras to maintian.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:40 AM
7th Gear

Service is low-quality

I went in for the usual oil change and felt/headliner that was falling.... and the guy who inspected my car wrote in the wrong order... that my rear center brake light was falling...but one thing i don't get is that if they checked my rear center brake light... then didn't they see that the felt was falling... geez.. .these people probably didn't check it or even bother to mention it...

That i believe is low-quality service..

So i have to go in again to get it fixed... sucks...
Old 08-05-2004, 06:49 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not just Honda...

I've yet to have to use ACS, so I can't really say anything about them.

I have had to deal with Chrysler customer service however. I've accumulated over $1100 in repairs to my Jeep over the last 17 months that started just after the warranty expired. None of it normal failures, all of it related to poor quality parts. I wrote a complaint letter to them, outlined the failures, and provided the receipts to back up the claims and all I got from them was a one page letter which essentially said sorry you're disappointed, our quality has gotten better, and we "apologize". WTF?

At least, in some instances mentioned here, Honda has made an effort to make it up to the customer even if the vehicle is out of warranty.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:35 AM
Team Nighthawk Whiner

You Hit the Nail on the Head!

It seems to me that Acura would want their best people on the phone to deal with the customers who will make or break the company. It has been my experience after several calls that you get different info from different reps; they do not seem to have their act together when it comes to problems. The last time I called the young lady gave me information about local Honda service and then realized we were originally talking about Acura. Kind of makes you wonder about the quality of the automobiles when the quality of the service is so shoddy. On the other hand my dealer has been just swell. Two TSB services is all they have done for me, and the service has been done with courtesy and efficiency. Vandergriff Acura in Arlington, TX, really has their act together.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

This thread surprises me. When I called them about the transmission recall they were great. He gave me his name and explained everything and also checked my VIN on the spot. Three days later I got a letter from Acura noting I called their customer service and a questionaire re: quality of service etc. Maybe different people run it in Canada.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jss1
This thread surprises me. When I called them about the transmission recall they were great. He gave me his name and explained everything and also checked my VIN on the spot. Three days later I got a letter from Acura noting I called their customer service and a questionaire re: quality of service etc. Maybe different people run it in Canada.
Yeah. Honda/Acura clien services suck. The first thing they ask is for your vin number. If you call Mercedes Client Services just for kicks then you can see the difference.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Racer

Acs

Originally Posted by Jss1
Jss1,
Everything is peachy at ACS until you have a problem with your car. I hope your car doesn't have problems but if it does, you will see what others are talking about in this thread.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:38 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

This thread certainly is disturbing. I don't understand why everyone is calling ACS. I've always taken any concerns directly to the dealer. Is the reason for calling ACS because the dealer has refused to take care of your problem and you're hoping that ACS will go to bat for you?

If so, it sounds to me like everyone who has been wronged by ACS should start a letter writing campaign to the had of Honda America. 15 minutes writing down your complaints from enough people could be what it takes to get ACS fixed.

-phil
Old 08-05-2004, 11:15 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Writing a letter and sending via fax to a head honcho works, they did reply and do something.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Someone mentioned writing the head of Honda or writing an ACS superior. Well, I wrote the President of Honda of America regarding all the issues with tires/wheels/alignment/vibration with my TL. I wrote him because I wasn't satisfied with the response from ACS. My ACS rep said that was my only further recourse. I'll tell you that I wrote the President of Honda America 4 months ago and explained how disappointed I was with the issue with the car, but more importantly, by how I was being treated by the dealer and ACS. I never received any response at all. Since that time, issues with vibration have been mostly taken care of, but I never heard any response from that letter, not even acknowledging that it was received.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Advanced

That's if you can get one of the stonewallers on the phone to give you any names of head honchos...

The only time that I needed Client Disservices, my case manager was also rude and unprofessional, and it was against his principles to follow up and return calls. I called to find out who to contact if I was dissatisfied with my case manager, and the only thing that the idiot on the phone could say was "I can make a note in your file". When I asked what would happen then (i.e. who does the "note" go to, how do I know that some action will be taken, etc.), his response was "sir, I will just make a note in your file". Translation: shit will happen.

The bottom line: I am now a happy Lexus customer, though I'm still a fan of Acura engineering and love to hang around this forum. I realize that all cars can have issues, but the difference is how a so-called customer service department handles those issues and treats you. So, I hate to say that ACS's poor handling of my situation pushed me away from Acura, after owning 3 Hondas and 1 Acura. Oh, and as icing on the cake, I filled out the survey that I got from ACS regarding my experience with them back in 11/03. I'm still waiting for a call...

Customer service in line with a luxury vehicle?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I received acknowledgement when my e-mail (yes email) to ACS was received. Seemed to light some sort of fire underneath them re: tires. I was going to send in a letter but my fear was confirmed here (they either can't, or don't, read...).

ACS has been more helpful than VW/Audi client relations, but less than BMW/Mercedes (although others disagree).

I think if the car doesn't have problems, the client relations group looks the best. When real big, and unique, problems arise, you test their current system and processes.

Different (new) types of owners always cause issues - as shown here by the new-to-Acura owners. But ACS shouldn't appear the same as Honda Element customer service - it's a different class of automobile.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:42 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by finishline
Someone mentioned writing the head of Honda or writing an ACS superior. Well, I wrote the President of Honda of America regarding all the issues with tires/wheels/alignment/vibration with my TL. I wrote him because I wasn't satisfied with the response from ACS. My ACS rep said that was my only further recourse. I'll tell you that I wrote the President of Honda America 4 months ago and explained how disappointed I was with the issue with the car, but more importantly, by how I was being treated by the dealer and ACS. I never received any response at all. Since that time, issues with vibration have been mostly taken care of, but I never heard any response from that letter, not even acknowledging that it was received.
Did you write to Richard Colliver, Executive VP of American Honda, and in charge of Acura?

Funny, his title changes in different press releases, guess that way they keep you guesing.

He was at the RL intro, and was the person that told USA Today that Honda's quality was slipping due to the release of the 2004 TL (search, that is posted here on the site).
Old 08-06-2004, 01:42 AM
Racer

More ACS BS

I had the pleasure of talking to a gentleman named "Charlie" at ACS yesterday..I made a simple request to talk to an ACS supervisor since the techs (or whatever they are) that answer the phone don't have power to do anything but to say "no" (kinda like the TV commerical about skymiles) Well, Charlie got a case of the "ass" (country term for pissed off) in about 3 minutes and became rude and aggressive on the phone denying my request to talk to anyone....I tried to get an employee number or another way to identify this guy but all he would give up was the name "Charlie".
What a dilemma, I have $70K invested in Acura automobiles and I all I get is "Charlie"who is pissed and defensive.
I sat down at the computer and wrote a 2 page letter to the President of american Honda/Acura trying to recount my experience and made a specific complaint about Charlie. I was going to add another couple of disagreeable characters but suddenly realized that most of the people at ACS are the same. THe system is screwed and it is not just a few assholes causing the problem, it's the entire department
I am sure that I am labled as just another troublemaker but have been a loyal Acura owner for many years...
I think Charlie won today and I am tired of playing Acuras bullshit game and will start selling off everything Honda/Acura. I have had enough. :
Old 08-06-2004, 10:28 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Originally Posted by jazzpicker
I had the pleasure of talking to a gentleman named "Charlie" at ACS yesterday..I made a simple request to talk to an ACS supervisor since the techs (or whatever they are) that answer the phone don't have power to do anything but to say "no" (kinda like the TV commerical about skymiles):
Gee,

[SARCASM]Gotta wonder why Charlie gave you the cold shoulder [/SARCASM]

The next time you go trick-or-treating be sure to piss on your neighbors porch before they give you the candy - I'm sure you'll get the best stuff that way.

-phil
Old 08-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by need4spd
Did you write to Richard Colliver, Executive VP of American Honda, and in charge of Acura?

Funny, his title changes in different press releases, guess that way they keep you guesing.

He was at the RL intro, and was the person that told USA Today that Honda's quality was slipping due to the release of the 2004 TL (search, that is posted here on the site).
No, I was told to write Honda America President and CEO, Koichi Kondo, by the ACS rep, so that's what I did.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:12 PM
9th Gear

Mercedes, BMW service is better than Acrura?NOT...

just a note on some of the people saying Mercedes and BMW customer service, my experience with my local acura dealer here, Pohanka Acura has been ...even if they change my wiper blade, they properly wash and clean your car. My girlfriend has a BMW that has been in the shop about 5 times now for odd things breaking (unlike acura) and the last time the front wheels were black from brake dust and they did a major break overhaul, with the rotors, pads, calipers, etc......

now, would you not think that they would at least wash the wheels after such a job? instead she drives home an I see the mechanics fingerprints all over the wheels from removing and replacing the wheels after the work was done............

yeah BMW service? I even called the dealership and told them about it and their response was...we don't wash the car unless the customer requests it?

like I said Acura at both dealerships I've dealt with in Northern Virginia would wash your car even if they did a simple oil change or rotate your tires or something..........

just my experience...........
Old 08-06-2004, 01:00 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

I don't think they are required to wash your car...it is simply a courtesy (unless maybe you specify that you want the car washed)...some people are more particular than others so it doesn't matter...if I were in charge, I'd have every car that came in at least put through a quick wash...but that's just me
Old 08-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Racer

Car Wash

I recently filled out a ACS service survey wanting to know if the dealership washed my car. Sure, they washed my car (big deal) but they didn't fix my transmission. I really didn't bring my car there to be washed but to have the mechanical problems repaired. "Mechanically sound" comes before clean on my list of priorities
Old 08-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Instructor

ACS blows. They told me basically that I would have to live with the vibrations that my car is plaqued with and that there was nothing they could do since it wasn't a safety issue. I guess they haven't read the lemon laws in my state but I will make sure my attorney lets them know about them if I can't get this resolved in the next few weeks or sooner.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:17 AM
Racer

Thanks Proctor Acura

I have been bitching and moaning all week about the rude treatment at ACS. I was trying to get my warped rotors and some tranmission issues fixed under warranty and all I was getting at ACS was a bunch of BS...I managed to piss off ACS and Proctor Acura.
Today I took the car to Proctor Acura, Tallahassee FL and despite my ranting and raving, I was treated very professionally by the service staff..New Rotors and pads were installed under warranty although the brake warranty had expired. THe tech was unable to detect any tranny slipping or other symptoms during a 25 mile test drive..THe transmission recall work was done and my car was returned on time completely washed.
I guess I have to give credit where credits due..Proctor Acura treated me very well.
I thanked the service advisor and slinked away silently, embarrassed that I had raised so much hell..
Nothing has changed with ACS, they are still useless but I learned to trust my dealer. I will be easier to deal with next time..and thank you Proctor Acura :