Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acura is buying my car back

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura is buying my car back

Well, it's been a great 2 years with my 2004 Acura TL but it's time to say farewell.

I bought my TL back in June of 2004 and I had no problems with it except for the crappy EL42's that came stock with the car for the first year. I was hydroplaning with those crappy tires after about 20K miles. Those tires are CRAP!!!! But after I got my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the car, it was like night and day...anyways I'm taking this thread to another topic.

After about a year and a half and with about 25K on the odometer, the ABS, TCS, Brake and the triangle with the exclamation mark in it came on while I was driving. Then those lights would go off and when I brake under normal conditions, the ABS would kick in making that horrible grinding noise. Then those warning lights would come on and stay on until I shut off the car.

I had taken the car to a dealership near my work when I first reported this issue. They told me it would take about 2 day to fix this problem. This eventually turned into a week and a half. And when I got the car back, the lights came back on when I was driving away from the dealership! Then I would drop off the car at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle three more times for this same problem because the problem resurfaced at different intervals on different occasions. They tried to replace the wheel sensors, ABS module and also event the fuse box.

Well the problem is fixed but due to the loss of my time and money and the growing frustration with the car, I decided to file a claim under the warranty act. I couldn't file under the lemon law in my state b/c the problem need to start within the first 15K miles or the 1st year of ownership.

Well, my lawyer called me the other day and told me that Acura has agreed that I got myself a lemon and they are going to buy my car back. So I'm getting my down payment, all monthly payment from the last 2 years minus 15% of the cost of the car for wear and tear for 2 years of ownership. Basically, I got to drive a TL for 2 years without paying any interest.

My next car will be a 2006 Honda Civic Si which will benefit me with a lower car payment per month and less gas consumption. Also, it is Motor Trend's Car of the Year....

Well I just wanted to share my TL experience with you all and I hope that you don't have to go through what I went through. But don't let the dealerships make a problem look miniscule because they couldn't fix it the first time around. No matter how small the problem is....
Old 06-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
I am glad that things worked out between you and Acura. Regarding SI, not sure if you are going to save any significant money on gas vs. the TL
Old 06-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

That is true since the Si also requires me to put in premium gas as well but a reduction in my car payment by more than 200 bucks a month will definately help.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:20 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
What about legal costs? Did Acura pay your lawyer's fees, too, or did you have to handle that yourself?

If so, how much was that?
Old 06-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Intermediate

With any Lemon Law cases, manufacterer is responsible for any lawyer fees when a claim is filed against them. So even if I had lost the case, there was no cost out of my pocket to file the claim. So I didn't hestiate to give it a try...and it turned out as good decision on my part.

I filed b/c I was watching TV one night and a commerical came on for lemonlaw.com.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:38 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by chaeric
With any Lemon Law cases, manufacterer is responsible for any lawyer fees when a claim is filed against them. So even if I had lost the case, there was no cost out of my pocket to file the claim. So I didn't hestiate to give it a try...and it turned out as good decision on my part.

I filed b/c I was watching TV one night and a commerical came on for lemonlaw.com.
Wow. Excellent!

Sorry for your troubles, but it obviously worked out okay.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Instructor

I had the same exact problem!! However, on the dealership's 3rd attempt to fix my car, they put in a new transmission. After that, the problem was fixed, but I've had other problems with my A/C and batteries. I think I'm going to hire a lawyer too. Thanks for the post.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Instructor

make sure the get the navi in the civic. I have the EX with the Navi and its great!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow i didnt know that they pay the lawyer fees to. wonder why not more people file a claim for all the things people complain about here
Old 06-04-2006, 02:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pkim05
I had the same exact problem!! However, on the dealership's 3rd attempt to fix my car, they put in a new transmission. After that, the problem was fixed, but I've had other problems with my A/C and batteries. I think I'm going to hire a lawyer too. Thanks for the post.

You're welcome...I hope your claim goes as well as mine did.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Instructor

I am glad Acura HQ came through on this one.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:21 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great outcome, plus you get a lower car payment while still getting a nice car. Teh new Civic IS nice. Were I to downsize it would be on the list.
There are too many SUVs on the road (including our own full-size) these days for me to drive a small car like the Civic. I have a wife and 3 kids to consider. Ever since I was t-boned in our first full-size SUV by a Volvo, I thank God for big, safe trucks. I *almost* drove my crappy 2000 Altima that day!

/thread highjack.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Lemon law rules vary state to state. I am not familiar with too many that cover your attorney fees.

I won a repurchase decision on my 2003 Acura TL Type S, which was the singular worst consumer product I have ever purchased, from socks to luxury cars. It was total crap. And Acura's handling of it sucked, too. So I went through the BBB Autoline, represented myself, and ate their attorney's lunch. Apparently winning there is fairly uncommon, since after I did they seemed pretty confused as what to do next.

Has been night and day with the 2004, which I purchased very reluctantly after my prior experience and only because the content and value far exceeded anything else on the market. It was a good choice--this has been one of the best cars I have owned, second only probably to my Lexus SC400, which was flawless but too small and not particularly well suited to a part of the country that gets snow.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
I am glad Acura HQ came through on this one.
Acura agreed to the settlement due to chaeric's lawyer showed Acura that his client had a winnable case. To me, Acura HQ should have made chaeric an offer to replace the car or refund him without the need of a lawsuit.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Intermediate

Smile

Well, to give you guys an update, I put the 500 dollar deposit down for a Fiji Blue Pearl Civic Si with navigation today which is due to arrive at the end of August. The waiting list for that car is ridiculous....and the mark ups at several dealerships was really disturbing. But I was able to find a dealer that is selling it for MSRP. ($22,590)

Spoke with the lawyer to see when I need to turn in the TL for my check but he advised that it would take about 60-90 days for the paperwork to be provided by Acura. Since the new Civic will take that long for it to be manufactured and delivered, it is working out quite nicely.

Since I am not making any more future payments on the TL, I am currently driving that car without any payments which is pretty sweet.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Well, to give you guys an update, I put the 500 dollar deposit down for a Fiji Blue Pearl Civic Si with navigation today which is due to arrive at the end of August. The waiting list for that car is ridiculous....and the mark ups at several dealerships was really disturbing. But I was able to find a dealer that is selling it for MSRP. ($22,590)

Spoke with the lawyer to see when I need to turn in the TL for my check but he advised that it would take about 60-90 days for the paperwork to be provided by Acura. Since the new Civic will take that long for it to be manufactured and delivered, it is working out quite nicely.

Since I am not making any more future payments on the TL, I am currently driving that car without any payments which is pretty sweet.
I had a similiar problem with my 05TL. Except i didnt get a lawyer . The dealer decided to buy back my car at $26,800.I ended up gettin some money back, but its like i basically leased the car for a year. I ended up getting a 00 integra. gonna wait for the new G35 or the new TL next year.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05ATL40
I had a similiar problem with my 05TL. Except i didnt get a lawyer . The dealer decided to buy back my car at $26,800.I ended up gettin some money back, but its like i basically leased the car for a year. I ended up getting a 00 integra. gonna wait for the new G35 or the new TL next year.
How early did your problems start? Was it in the lemon law period for your state? In my case, I couldn't file under the lemon law because the problem didn't start after a year and half of driving it and in my state, the problem needs to start within the first year or the first 15000 miles. I got lucky b/c Acura wasn't obligated to repurchase the vehicle from me but they are doing it voluntarily to make the customer happy...Even my lawyer said this was a great deal that they offered. I think part of the reason why I'm not straying away from buying another Acura/Honda is that they made great, reliable cars period and they try to make their cutomers happy. A lil gremlin here and there but that is expected from any manufacturer.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Intermediate

What is the warranty act? How do you file a claim under the warranty act? I have a MB E500 and for the last 3 months had the car serviced 5 times already and they still can't figure out the problem.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Intermediate

In my state, Maryland, in order to file under the Lemon Law, the problem with the vehicle needs to start within the first 15 months of ownership or in the first 15,000 miles. In addition, if you file under the lemon law, you are entitled to getting the car bought back by the manufacturer or have them provide you with a new car if your claim is legit. Keep in mind that the defect needs to "substantially impair the use and market value of the motor vehicle to the consumer"

However, in my case, the problem did not start until a year and half and around 25,000 miles. So I could not file under the lemon law. But according to my lawyer, I could still file a claim against the manufacturer under what's called Federal Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Under this act, you are entitled to cash compensation for your troubles. But with my case, Acura chose to but back my vehicle even though they are not required to do so.

Here are some resources that I used to file this claim....

http://www.lemonlaw.com/maryland-lem...questions.html

http://www.lemonlaw.bbb.org/

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Cruisin'

I decided to file a claim under the warranty act. I couldn't file under the lemon law in my state b/c the problem need to start within the first 15K miles or the 1st year of ownership.
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
What about legal costs? Did Acura pay your lawyer's fees, too, or did you have to handle that yourself?

If so, how much was that?
With any Lemon Law cases, manufacterer is responsible for any lawyer fees when a claim is filed against them. So even if I had lost the case, there was no cost out of my pocket to file the claim.
In my case, I couldn't file under the lemon law because the problem didn't start after a year and half of driving it and in my state.
So I could not file under the lemon law.
wtf? do you know how much your attorney's fees are or don't you? ____ ____
Old 06-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Advanced

How early did your problems start? Was it in the lemon law period for your state? In my case, I couldn't file under the lemon law because the problem didn't start after a year and half of driving it and in my state, the problem needs to start within the first year or the first 15000 miles. I got lucky b/c Acura wasn't obligated to repurchase the vehicle from me but they are doing it voluntarily to make the customer happy...Even my lawyer said this was a great deal that they offered. I think part of the reason why I'm not straying away from buying another Acura/Honda is that they made great, reliable cars period and they try to make their cutomers happy. A lil gremlin here and there but that is expected from any manufacturer.
it all started to happen like 2months after the purchase of the car. I brought it back to the dealer maybe like 6times even once in atlanta GA. I just got fed up wit there run around and when they was like buy back i was like sure. Never again will i go back to them.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bo Darville
wtf? do you know how much your attorney's fees are or don't you? ____ ____
If you can read, I already stated that" With any Lemon Law cases, manufacterer is responsible for any lawyer fees when a claim is filed against them."

it came out to about $1500.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Cruisin'

Well, it's been a great 2 years with my 2004 Acura TL but it's time to say farewell.

I bought my TL back in June of 2004 and I had no problems with it except for the crappy EL42's that came stock with the car for the first year. I was hydroplaning with those crappy tires after about 20K miles. Those tires are CRAP!!!! But after I got my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the car, it was like night and day...anyways I'm taking this thread to another topic.
Now you've got me worried. I have a 2004 Acura. My crappy EL42's went bald before 20K of miles also. I chose to replace them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S as well. Does this mean I'm going to continue to follow you and start to have these problems too?

Did you notice a drop in average gas mileage when you went from the EL42's to the A/S's? I was getting on average 32 MPG and now can't get over 25.

Batmacura
Old 06-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by batmacura
Now you've got me worried. I have a 2004 Acura. My crappy EL42's went bald before 20K of miles also. I chose to replace them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S as well. Does this mean I'm going to continue to follow you and start to have these problems too?

Did you notice a drop in average gas mileage when you went from the EL42's to the A/S's? I was getting on average 32 MPG and now can't get over 25.

Batmacura
Yes, I noticed the drop in mileage as well but not too much...however, the stable ride in the rain and snow makes up for that with the Michelin Pilot sport a/s's. I also noticed that my alignment was being thrown off more frequently once I got the Michelins...I think may have to do with the aqua tread design on those tires.

As for my problem with the warning lights, It started when I took my car to those automated car washes that move the car along a track. The problems seems to have been caused by the wheel sensors.

My avg MPG according to my MID is 23 MPG. Maybe the tire pressure needs to be checked?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Cruisin'

If you can read, I already stated that" With any Lemon Law cases, manufacterer is responsible for any lawyer fees when a claim is filed against them."

it came out to about $1500.
i CAN read. that's why i quoted 3x where you said you DIDN'T file a lemon law claim (can you read?)

BTW, if you haven't paid it already, that $1500 is going to come out of the check Acura sends you
Old 06-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Intermediate

i CAN read. that's why i quoted 3x where you said you DIDN'T file a lemon law claim (can you read?)

BTW, if you haven't paid it already, that $1500 is going to come out of the check Acura sends you
Nope!...Just did the calculations and it came out right....the lawyer fees are not coming out of my check at all. Basically, I'm getting what I'm supposed to. If you don't know anything about other ppl's business, please do not make assumptions unless you have gone through it yourself.

and if you did go through this experience and got jipped by a shady lawyer, it just shows that you're a sucker.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Cruisin'

i guess people can claim whatever they want on a forum, even if its chock full of contradictions

i will never have to go through this experience because i can deal with a manufacturer directly without studdering, stammering and contradicting myself repeatedly (see, i made it past the 9th grade)
Old 06-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

i guess people can claim whatever they want on a forum, even if its chock full of contradictions

i will never have to go through this experience because i can deal with a manufacturer directly without studdering, stammering and contradicting myself repeatedly (see, i made it past the 9th grade)
You got some examples of these "contradictions"?

I didn't know they let suckers past the 9th grade btw.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

You got some examples of these "contradictions"? When you make an argument against someone you need back it up with facts buddy.

I did try to go through the manufacturer multiple times but they were very unresponsive. I contacted the regional manger, the liasion between the dealerships and the factory and so forth. Due to their unwillingness to help, I persued the claim against them with the lawyer. But why am I even telling you this?

I didn't know they let suckers pass the 9th grade. Shouldn't you be school right now? Being in the 10th grade and all or did you just quit after the 9th?

I bet your G.E.D. looks great on your wall. (But of course, I'm giving you the benefit that you are educated to a high school level but I may be giving you too much credit)
Old 06-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Intermediate

Chaeric - I'm happy to hear things went well for you and that your new car will be arriving in a few months.

In most legal cases the defendant ends up paying for legal/court fees, cuz they did something to cause the lawsuit.

I had to sue someone they paid every fee I incurred in order to get the case to court, including filing, serving, etc.