Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accident...need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by EpiK
That is not entirely correct. If his car hit the third car as a result of the 1st car hitting him, the 1st car is responsible for the damages to the third...
It is true in Michigan. And since vikrampatel lives less than an hour away from me, we are affected by the same laws.

But yes, the 1st car is the cause of the entire accident. However, it will be vikram's insurance company paying for the damages to the 3rd vehicle, then they will bill the insurance company of the first vehicle that ran into Vikram.

Vikram --

Your car will be almost certainly totalled. For one, the moonroof popped out indicating chassis damage, all airbags deployed (expensive), etc.

Probably time to shop for a new car now.

Also, I don't know what your deductible is, but in Michigan, you can be reimbursed by the insurace company of the driver that ran into you up to 500 dollars under the Mini-Tort law. All you have to do is send a copy of your insurance policy to prove the amount of deductible, and they will send you a check for that amount, up to 500 dollars.

Good luck, and I'm glad you escaped serious injuries, considering the amount of damages. The car is totally fucked but did its job of protecting you.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by carguyrob
I am certainly not an insurance adjuster, but that car looks pretty totalled. The roofline is completely crushed, their is damage to part of the front, the entire side and all of the back. In addition, four of the six airbags are deployed. Totalled is generally a repair cost of about 75% or more of the cars value. If it is close, they will generally push it over the edge and total it.

It is really great to hear that you walked away from this with just a few scratches.

BTW...the front airbags are tied to sensors in the front bumper. They only go off on a frontal impact of about 12-15 mph. It looks like your front bumper wasn't hit which is why you didn't have your front air bags deploy.

What year is your car and how many miles do you have on it? This will definately effect whether it is totalled or not.

Is your car a purchase or lease?

Good Luck!
Eh, not necessarily true. Most modern SRS use a g-force meter to calculate the amount of impact force. It is much more cost-effective this way and less prone to sensor failures/malfunctions. The g-force meter only recorded lateral impact force, so that's most likely why the front airbags didn't deploy.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:00 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Vic, you were very lucky, the car did its job. Hope the LSAT came out OK. Like others, I doubt that you will have to worry about getting that one back. You did save the spoiler though!
Old 06-06-2005, 02:10 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Here is why you may want to consider a new TL.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116891
Old 06-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can guarantee you that car is totaled. Which is better then it beeing fixable. If that was fixed, you would have problems with it for the rest of your ownership. If you can get some day pics that would be great. Are you sure the person in the passenger seat would have been screwed? Those side airbags are pretty amazing. That looks like one of the few situations where a passenger would have benefited from not being buckled. Come to think about it, car manufactorers should put a door sensor in so if it reaches a certain poin the belt is released. Glad to hear you are OK. Whos insurance is covering it?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn. When I said find yourself an attorney, I mean it now. This has major personal injury claim written all over it. Very fortunate you came out with no broken bones. The car is totalled so insurance will take care of it. Good thing you had the GAP coverage. Start seeing a doctor for your injuries. If you wait too long, they may question your decision. And definitely get x-rays.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

My dad is an attorney. http://www.sally-fitch.com/Bio/PeterBall.asp, he looks kinda funny but hes a great lawyer if your in the boston area, only problem is he doesnt care about cars, so he says, so my mom has to spend all his money.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:52 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1st WOW...then I'm glad you're ok....and IMHO that vehicle is totalled...
Old 06-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by carguyrob
I am certainly not an insurance adjuster, but that car looks pretty totalled. The roofline is completely crushed, their is damage to part of the front, the entire side and all of the back. In addition, four of the six airbags are deployed. Totalled is generally a repair cost of about 75% or more of the cars value. If it is close, they will generally push it over the edge and total it.

It is really great to hear that you walked away from this with just a few scratches.

BTW...the front airbags are tied to sensors in the front bumper. They only go off on a frontal impact of about 12-15 mph. It looks like your front bumper wasn't hit which is why you didn't have your front air bags deploy.

What year is your car and how many miles do you have on it? This will definately effect whether it is totalled or not.

Is your car a purchase or lease?

Good Luck!
Thanks for the info. The car has roughly 7500 miles and is an 05, 6 months old.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EpiK
TBone2004, you beat me to it. I was going to say "On the bright side, he didn't spill his water..."

Dude, glad you're OK.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
It is true in Michigan. And since vikrampatel lives less than an hour away from me, we are affected by the same laws.

But yes, the 1st car is the cause of the entire accident. However, it will be vikram's insurance company paying for the damages to the 3rd vehicle, then they will bill the insurance company of the first vehicle that ran into Vikram.

Vikram --

Your car will be almost certainly totalled. For one, the moonroof popped out indicating chassis damage, all airbags deployed (expensive), etc.

Probably time to shop for a new car now.

Also, I don't know what your deductible is, but in Michigan, you can be reimbursed by the insurace company of the driver that ran into you up to 500 dollars under the Mini-Tort law. All you have to do is send a copy of your insurance policy to prove the amount of deductible, and they will send you a check for that amount, up to 500 dollars.

Good luck, and I'm glad you escaped serious injuries, considering the amount of damages. The car is totally fucked but did its job of protecting you.
Hey - I talked to my ins agent and he said that I would not liable for the damages to the 3rd car, but either way, it doesn't matter since everybody was ok.

My deductible is $550, can I still claim the $500?

Thanks for your help again!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
Hey - I talked to my ins agent and he said that I would not liable for the damages to the 3rd car, but either way, it doesn't matter since everybody was ok.

If it is the first driver's fault, you have ZERO out of pocket expenses. 100% of the cost of repairs or replacement will be covered by the "at fault" driver's insurance...
Old 06-06-2005, 09:38 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Wow! that was bad! I can see why you dont want to get into that car again! Good to hear you are OK.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Dragging knees in

Odd. They usually do that in a systematical way, one by one. But yeah, either way, you won't have to pay for any of the damages in the end, period.

You can still claim the 500. But if the other guy's insurance company happens to be the same as yours, then it will be simply waived and you pay the 50 dollar difference.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Suzuka Master

i dunno. thanks for everybodys help. tomorrow im going to grab stuff out of the car and file the claim with AAA. i hope it is totaled after that mess.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Take pics tommoro. Decent ones where you can see the entire car. Its kinda difficult to see in those disposable cam pics.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:39 PM
6MT & LSD

jeez, you just went through 3 cars in how many months?? maybe you should stay away from japanese cars.. haha.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ndx2
jeez, you just went through 3 cars in how many months?? maybe you should stay away from japanese cars.. haha.
lol a friend just told me if it's totaled to get a german car next. lol
Old 06-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Instructor

You don't have to pay the deductible if you let his insurance pay for the property damage. It will be faster if you go through your insurance but then you'll pay the deductible then get reimbursed for it later. It'll take a couple weeks for them to settle the property damage so I suggest letting his insurance handle it.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Suzuka Master

How long from the time I file the claim (tomorrow) till I rcv word on it being totaled or not?
Old 06-07-2005, 01:18 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by huyster1
You don't have to pay the deductible if you let his insurance pay for the property damage. It will be faster if you go through your insurance but then you'll pay the deductible then get reimbursed for it later. It'll take a couple weeks for them to settle the property damage so I suggest letting his insurance handle it.

Michigan = no-fault

Vikram --

Typically, AAA direct repair shops have the power to write the estimates on behalf of AAA. I don't know if that's the case with deciding whether a car is totalled or not. Either way, adjusters are going out everyday looking at cars, so you should know very soon.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Michigan = no-fault

Vikram --

Typically, AAA direct repair shops have the power to write the estimates on behalf of AAA. I don't know if that's the case with deciding whether a car is totalled or not. Either way, adjusters are going out everyday looking at cars, so you should know very soon.

Ok. Thanks. I am going to go take pictures and try to salvage personal belongings... people have asked if I can get the wheels off, i'm not entirely sure how that will work out...???

Do I need to tell AAA when I file the claim that I want OEM parts (just so they know immediately that their cost is going up?)
Old 06-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Racer

Ok. Thanks. I am going to go take pictures and try to salvage personal belongings... people have asked if I can get the wheels off, i'm not entirely sure how that will work out...???

Do I need to tell AAA when I file the claim that I want OEM parts (just so they know immediately that their cost is going up?)
With a car that new, they will not use imitation parts, nor do I believe there are very many out there for our TL's at this point in time. Do not worry about it not being totalled, because IT WILL BE. The condition of the roof and the moonroof did it in.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Racer

WOW Thank god you're allright dont worry about the car its 100% gone once the roof gets mangaled like that the only way to fix it is to cut the pilars and weld a new one but even the pillars are gone this car is only good for parts. I hope you feel better
Old 06-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All I can say is .. ICK.. that had to just suck. Makes my front ender in my TL seem like a door ding. That car is screwed. It was $7,000 just to fix my front end, yours would be over the cost of the car to repair.

But to be honest, looking at that and you say you were only a bit sore (tho more sets in over time), that car took one hell of a bang and let you walk away. I am still in physical therapy after my wreck, it takes time, go find a good hands-on chiropractor. The other insurance pays for every red cent of it.

Hope ya feel better
Old 06-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Suzuka Master

wow. i just saw it for the first time in the daylight. those pictures don't do it justice. pics to come shortly.

did you guys know there are airbags IN the side of the leather seats?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 06-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Suzuka Master

Suzuka Master

Old 06-07-2005, 01:26 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

WOW, your car is D.E.A.D. You are very lucky, that you weren't hurt more. It looks like they may fix the other two. How did the LSAT go in your mind?

The repair shop or 3A adjustor should make a fast decision on replacement. Good thing there were no passengers.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Yeah, those night shots don't do the damage justice at all! That car's more effed up than I thought! It's amazing you only got a couple of bruises and scratches.

For some odd reason, your wheels look to be in perfect shape...sell them!
Old 06-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

DAOMN homie. that car is wrecked. You're mad luck you weren't on the side that got hit, and you were driving an Acura
Old 06-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
The A-spec 18" wheels look like they are pretty much unaffected. I would try to get them back to see if you could sell them or transfer them to your new TL (if you decide to get one, unless the insurance replaces the wheels as well)
Old 06-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

Ok, there were storms and power outages here. So at around 9:30 I was at an intersection without a light. Of course we treat those as a 4 way stop without power, so it was my right of way and I go through slowly. All of a sudden BOOM. I don't exactly remember what happened but from a witness, this other guy ran the light (or non light) and ran into me. I took pictures with a disposable camera which I will post tomorrow hopefully.

The side of my car is pushed in maybe a foot? The engine looks fine. All airbags went off. Rear bumper is pushed to one side.

Shit. Fuck. Damn.

Apparently when this guy ran into me, I ran into another car from being pushed... it seems they were ok. I have a few cuts, back hurts a little, you know usual stuff from an accident.

The tow truck driver said there is no doubt the car is totalled (I'm not so sure about that one). The cops said I was lucky that I was wearing a seatbelt (thank god my mom trained me from being young to put it on the minute I get in the car)

So, my question is, what exactly do I do now?

I have to take the LSATs tomorrow afternoon, so I will deal with this after that.

Thanks for the help guys.

First off, you need to find a very good lawyer, than find a very good Chiropractor/Doctor. With the car totaled like that, you should make enough off pain/suffering to Pimp out another Acura, probably an RL if the attorney is good enough
Old 06-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

What is it with wanting to file lawsuits? I mean, I get it, I can get money out of it, but shit happens. I don't have time to go to courts if needed anyways. If I had medical expenses, I would go after the guy, but since I don't, there is no need. Or am I just being stupid?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

What is it with wanting to file lawsuits? I mean, I get it, I can get money out of it, but shit happens. I don't have time to go to courts if needed anyways. If I had medical expenses, I would go after the guy, but since I don't, there is no need. Or am I just being stupid?
No, you're exercising common sense and personal responsibility. But, in our litigous society some people will question you for that...
Old 06-07-2005, 02:26 PM
6MT & LSD

wow, that car better be totaled.

i like the way you think about the lawsuit, vik. if it's not necessary, don't sue him. medical costs will be covered by your insurance, anyway.

have fun shopping for a new car, but you won't find a car with an interior up to the TL's level (in this price range)... too bad.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

yeah, car suggestions? safe? cool? not tl.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

yeah, car suggestions? safe? cool? not tl.
That's all subjective...personal preference...you've seen the 49,672 threads here discussing other cars...everyone has different ideas of cool. Just be sure to let us know what you go with.

Oh yeah, whatever you do get, don't let the dealer know you need a car ASAP.