Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:24 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accident

I got T-Boned last night and got the rear passenger side of my car smashed in. I know I have no pictures up but i can try to explain what is damaged to try and get your take on how much it will cost. the rear qtr panel is smashed in past the rear tire along with the bumper. My tail light is smashed. Also my axle is bent and my tire is on a 45degree angle on the ground. I can open the trunk but i think it took a little more to open and close it than usual but i couldn't really tell.

any ideas on $$$ of damages and timetable of gettng fixed. the shop is starting right away because they are affiliated with my insurance co.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Shit you alright?!!!

Damage wise you lookin at over 10K in repairs. And pray that your frame didnt get damaged.

Time Table 3-4 weeks easy, unless you know the shop and pretend you have to go to school which is 1000 miles away in 2 weeks... (worked for me when my QX4 was wrecked)
Old 07-22-2008, 01:33 PM
aTLien

shouldnt insurance be covering it? if things are bent, i think its time for a new car
Old 07-22-2008, 01:35 PM
NBP REPRESENT

if you dont already have one

time for a type-s

wow they started quick...

doesnt the person who hit you have to pay for it...

why is your insurance doing it?

well actually, if it is your fault then correct...

but glad ur ok...
Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Ouch...........glad your okay. With a bent axle and all, your looking at some serious repairs. Good luck.......
Old 07-22-2008, 01:40 PM
iScrape going into

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn bro that sucks. Hopefully it isn't totaled.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear

my insurance said they will start and then going to decide who's fault it was and if need be get the $$ from her insurance. it was a tricky spot. she was merging on and i was crossing the on-ramp to get into a gas station. the cops said its either her fault or no fault.

i'm praying the frame isn't bend. i got a great deal on my car and don't want to lose it.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
you could always get it totaled and line up for another TL, because after a bend axle and possibly a bent frame, it most likely won't be as it was before.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

If you can get it totalled, you are FAR better off than keeping it. I got rear-ended a year ago by one of those 24-26 foot Penske moving trucks (guy fell asleep at the wheel).
Wrecked TL
He hit us so hard that it picked our TL up off the ground at least a foot. Anyways, the costs to repair were close to $12k and the trunk was crushed up to the passenger cabin, but in order for them to total it, they said the passenger "structure" had to have been comprimised, which it wasn't. I got it repaired, including the frame getting straightened and had to get it detailed 3 times to get it back to what it was before the accident. Anyways, I hate paying a new car payment on a car that was damaged to this extent so I tried to trade it in. At the time, KBB trade in for my car in good condition was ~$24k, the best I could get was $17k (Carmax). I said screw it and kept it. To be honest, the repair is almost perfect and it rides perfectly fine. There are no problems with it at all, however, I will never be able to trade or sell this thing w/out taking a beating on the price because of this accident.
I wish you luck, either way it sucks. Hope everyone is fine. If I were you, hope for the total so you dont take it in the wallet on resale/trade.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
always wanted to do that
Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwarflord
If you can get it totalled, you are FAR better off than keeping it. I got rear-ended a year ago by one of those 24-26 foot Penske moving trucks (guy fell asleep at the wheel).
Wrecked TL
He hit us so hard that it picked our TL up off the ground at least a foot. Anyways, the costs to repair were close to $12k and the trunk was crushed up to the passenger cabin, but in order for them to total it, they said the passenger "structure" had to have been comprimised, which it wasn't. I got it repaired, including the frame getting straightened and had to get it detailed 3 times to get it back to what it was before the accident. Anyways, I hate paying a new car payment on a car that was damaged to this extent so I tried to trade it in. At the time, KBB trade in for my car in good condition was ~$24k, the best I could get was $17k (Carmax). I said screw it and kept it. To be honest, the repair is almost perfect and it rides perfectly fine. There are no problems with it at all, however, I will never be able to trade or sell this thing w/out taking a beating on the price because of this accident.
I wish you luck, either way it sucks. Hope everyone is fine. If I were you, hope for the total so you dont take it in the wallet on resale/trade.
^why not file for diminished value? You will get the money you lost on trade in.

To the OP, are you ok? the way you are descibing the damage, its going to be over 10K in repairs, a new rear quarter panel will need to be installed along with all the supports, electronics in that area, etc. What year Tl do you have? If the damage is high enough, then the car will be totalled. Rule of thumb is about 50% of the car's value.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance
^why not file for diminished value? You will get the money you lost on trade in.
If the damage is high enough, then the car will be totalled. Rule of thumb is about 50% of the car's value.
Very few states allow you to sue for diminished value. Unfortunately, in Virginia, you can not. Nice way to protect the innocent isn't it? I do disagree with you, at least in Virginia, that rule of thumb for a total is 50%. The best I have seen is 70% and the worst I have seen is 90% (Allstate). I've had 4 new cars in the last 6 years because people have rear ended me or T-boned me, and always try to recoup my losses. But the only way in Virginia to recoup your losses is via double indemnity and health costs/pain and suffering. Thats all you can work with here.
I've always felt that if someone hits you, they buy the car and give you one that was never damaged....that would be fair to me.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 PM
3rd Gear

i was fine...more yelling about my car than anything. i know i dont have pics. my camera is still in my car so i have to go to the shop and get it.

i have a 2006 TL 6mt fully loaded w/ 34k miles.

i'm really hoping they total it so i can get something that hasn't been in an accident. every little thing that feels funny from now on i'll think is due to the accident
Old 07-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwarflord
I've always felt that if someone hits you, they buy the car and give you one that was never damaged....that would be fair to me.
That would be extremely fair. The at fault driver has to buy your car off you, then buy you a new one. You end up with a new car and a nice chunk of change from the sale and (s)he ends up with really bad credit. Not that I'd mind or anything