Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!

I have an 07 TL 5AT. It's only two months old. I got home last Friday and saw some transmission fluid on the garage floor. I crawled underneath and saw red fluid everywhere. Opened the hood to check the fluid level and it was reading ok. Took my TL to the dealer on Saturday morning. Waited for two hours before they came back with the bad news. My transmission housing is cracked!!!

The service advisor tells me that they need to order and replace the transmission. Only have 2500 miles on the car, WTF? So now I have to wait for a new transmission. I hope it's not a rebuilt one. I'm now driving around with their loaner TSX. Difference is unbelievable. No power and no room. I miss my baby...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
you are getting a rebuilt tranny... Honda DOESN'T sell or have NEW TRANSMISSIONS...

Good LUCK...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTF?

first off, that really sucks
second...wait what?

they want to replace the entire transmission for a cracked housing?

that's good for you (im assuming you're under warranty) but make sure you make it clear to the dealership that your warranty says you get a FULL new tranny, not a rebuild one.

And the loaner should be a TL, not a TSX

I once had my '03 in for 23 days for the notorious tranny problem and i got the dealership to waive that months lease payment.

persevere, my friend
did i spell that right?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:34 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
That sucks really bad. This is my opinion on loaner cars and it is that you should be able to get a loaner of the same car that you have no matter what it is so that you are able to see how a different car of the same style runs and if there are any differences with that one and yours. Good luck with everything.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:46 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Balla
That sucks really bad. This is my opinion on loaner cars and it is that you should be able to get a loaner of the same car that you have no matter what it is so that you are able to see how a different car of the same style runs and if there are any differences with that one and yours. Good luck with everything.
but sometimes I like trying out different cars. I got a TSX and I was glad I did, nice to have a change. Also depends on the dealer, many dealers have MDX's and TLS's as loaners which is pretty cool
Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Well, with the price of gas right now, at least I'm not burning up more than I usually do. And since it is a loaner, I'm going to do things to this TSX that I would not do with my TL.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by rodneyc77
you are getting a rebuilt tranny... Honda DOESN'T sell or have NEW TRANSMISSIONS...

Good LUCK...
They might not sell them, but they've got them; other-wise how could they build more cars?

The trick is going to be getting one for replacement under warranty. With only 2,500 miles the OP certainly DESERVES new.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts

Good LUCK...
What do you mean, that Honda doesn't have new transmissions? What are they putting in the new cars? Rebuilt? I don't think so.

They have them but it is their policy to put rebuilts, but there is also the possibility that stevey678 could contact Acura or his service manager and politely demand a brand new transmission. Or they might tell him that he is already getting a brand new transmission.

Wouldn't hurt to try.

Edit: Bearcat94: Great minds think alike, and when they do it at the same time there is an inevitable collision.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Intermediate

Just talked to my service advisor. He informed me that the transmission is not a rebuilt one, but a new one.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Generally through the PDC system AHM will ship new trannys to the PDC channels during the beginning of the production cycle for that MY. Once enough cores get into the rebuild cycle those are used. The refurbs are factory refurbs and there is absolutely no reason to question the quality.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:54 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to know they are treating you right. If you've been paying attention on his forum, that doesn't always happen when it should. So be thankful of that. Also be thankful that you get to save a little on gas while they do it and save miles on your car.

I imaginethat there is somereasonable cutoff point for replacing trannies with new ones. If a tranny goes out at 47K miles, should that person get a new one or rebuilt one? of course we all want new, but is that to be expected after awhile? I forget what the warranty is on the drivetrain (time).
Old 11-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Retired and Loving It

Request that the warrenty be extended on the rebuilt tranny. 100K miles would be reasonable. I don't trust rebuilt parts especially on a new car.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Acuras Only in

i am speechless .... two months only & now this one is cracking already?

Keep us posted as how this is gonna play out ...
Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1

I imaginethat there is somereasonable cutoff point for replacing trannies with new ones.

You are correct - at least that is the way it was back in my dealership days.

- And 12000 miles was the cutoff.

However, I do agree with The Dougler above regarding the factory refurb units. It's not a "rebuild" as many would think of a rebuild... It's a trans that has near all new parts meeting factory new specs.

Best of luck with the swap Stevey
Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by stevey678

Just talked to my service advisor. He informed me that the transmission is not a rebuilt one, but a new one.
Just curious, how will you know the difference? Why do you really care? I think I might like to have a whole new car.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I am curious how it cracked...
Old 11-14-2007, 01:07 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
yea. that could be a 'wife' driving the car incident.. ya know, jumping a curb or something.....not backing out of the driveway properly.... running something over

you should ask details on the crack and/or how it cracked
Old 11-14-2007, 02:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by shooter
i am speechless .... two months only & now this one is cracking already?

Keep us posted as how this is gonna play out ...
My niece just bought a Ford Escape. It didn't last the first day. The transmission case was cracked and they ended up putting a new one in.

That should screw Ford's J.D. Powers survey on initial quality.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:00 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Good LUCK...
Not true at all. I had my tranny replaced on my 05 at 47,000 miles and I watched them unpack that bastard. It was brand spanking new from the factory.

With an 07, the OP should be getting a new tranny AND it should be under warranty unless they can prove that the driver broke it somehow.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Instructor

steve.... place a call to acura corp and tell them about your plight. tell them the reason you have purchased an acura is because of its reliability and workmanship. now with this incident you are very displease. see what they can do to make you happy.

i had some problem with my tl within a month of purchase something about engine crank something or another was misaligned and it leaked engine oil. someone on this board suggested that i contact acura and tell them of my situation. well they made me happy. they have fixed whatever the problem was, and agreed it was un-acceptable and they have given me an extended warranty for my car. so i got 8 years 100k warranty all free.

of course if it was a defect from the factory.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:41 AM
Intermediate

Berite, thanks for that suggestion. I'll call Acura and tell them that I'm not very pleased with their product. This is the second Acura, the first was a RSX. I'll let you know what Acura says on this one.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron A
What do you mean, that Honda doesn't have new transmissions? What are they putting in the new cars? Rebuilt? I don't think so.

They have them but it is their policy to put rebuilts, but there is also the possibility that stevey678 could contact Acura or his service manager and politely demand a brand new transmission. Or they might tell him that he is already getting a brand new transmission.

Wouldn't hurt to try.

Edit: Bearcat94: Great minds think alike, and when they do it at the same time there is an inevitable collision.
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
They might not sell them, but they've got them; other-wise how could they build more cars?

The trick is going to be getting one for replacement under warranty. With only 2,500 miles the OP certainly DESERVES new. .

Both you guys were quick to jump on me...

But both you guys knew what I meant...

Just to play devil's advocate here, how would he really know that they actually put a BRAND NEW TRANNY in his car???

At the end of the day... NEW or REBUILT... as long as his car runs fine after the transplant... he should be okey...
Old 11-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by jmbnova
Not true at all. I had my tranny replaced on my 05 at 47,000 miles and I watched them unpack that bastard. It was brand spanking new from the factory.

With an 07, the OP should be getting a new tranny AND it should be under warranty unless they can prove that the driver broke it somehow.
When they unpacked that tranny did it come out of a nice black plastic case? or a wooden crate? did they indicate the part number on your invoice? if the part number looked like this 20011-RDE-C62RM then it was certainly Re-manufactured.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I am pretty sure it will be a rebuilt trans. SORRY. I would tell them you want a longer

warranty then stock, like 100,000 miles. My nephew bought a new 07 Civic Si coupe

and had to have the front axels and manual trans replaced. It took 4 visits b4 fixing

the problem. They couldn't figure out what the weird noise was. They finally found that

the trans had bad bearing in it. He was very pissed, and after many letters and calls,

they gave him a 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. That is only fair because its a new car.

It was his FIRST NEW car, I felt bad for him. I have had 2 Honda's 2 TL's, my brother has

a Honda Pilot, his sister has a Honda Fit. We all pushed him towards a Honda, and he

got one of the lemons. At least he hasn't had any problems since. If he didn't get the

extended warranty, he said he would sell it b4 the factory warranty was up. I said I would

also. But now with the 100,000 mile warranty, he doesn't have to worry... Good luck!!!