AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   This 6Speed is SO Frikin Fun (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/6speed-so-frikin-fun-554104/)

coop1018 06-30-2004 03:00 PM

This 6Speed is SO Frikin Fun

For all you 6 speed owners out there with this car, are you having as much fun as me. I dont know, but this is my first 6 speed car and I cannot get enough of it...I feel like it is going to get me in trouble though, always flying through the gears at high speeds. Shifts like butter, knocks you in the back seat, chirping first and second gear. Can you ask for anything more.....ok rear drive maybe...but I am happy

cM3go 06-30-2004 03:11 PM

glad you like it! I love my 6MT, so fun to drive and so fast! enjoy! :)

DARK6mt 06-30-2004 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by coop1018
For all you 6 speed owners out there with this car, are you having as much fun as me. I dont know, but this is my first 6 speed car and I cannot get enough of it...I feel like it is going to get me in trouble though, always flying through the gears at high speeds. Shifts like butter, knocks you in the back seat, chirping first and second gear. Can you ask for anything more.....ok rear drive maybe...but I am happy

DITTO!!! makes my girl who has 04 5at really zealous!!!!

Bitium 06-30-2004 03:19 PM

I wish I could get a TL....for now I enjoy the 5spd audi TDI.....a wooping 90hp.

wstevens 06-30-2004 03:34 PM

I love the 6MT. I've never had an automatic car because I love driving stick so much. I think the TL's shifter and clutch are great. I had a bit of a hard time adjusting to the clutch at first, but now I can shift very smoothly with good power.

I'm also glad the TL has a Hands Free Link. I've always had a problem talking on the phone while driving stick, now it's no big deal.

NightRider 06-30-2004 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bitium
I wish I could get a TL....for now I enjoy the 5spd audi TDI.....a wooping 90hp.

Really? Do you frequently get honked at and flipped off for holding people up on the highway? Or does it get up to highway speeds?

SBTL 06-30-2004 03:45 PM

:werd:

I hear ya loud and clear Coop!
Manuals are so much Fricken fun... :woot:
Been drivin one since 1971...
:cheers:

2004/TL/6MT/A-SPEC

coop1018 06-30-2004 03:46 PM

Believe it or not the Hands Free Link option sold me over the G35 coupe because I wanted stick but needed a hands free system. Glad I made that choice.

PeterUbers 06-30-2004 03:49 PM

<@$@#$@#> so glad you're all having so much fun ...

:)

ensley696 06-30-2004 03:52 PM

Oh hell yea. Now that I'm hitting the 650 Mile marker, mine is getting better every day. The more she gets broken in, the better.

JoganJani 06-30-2004 04:12 PM

Fun never stops. 6MT all the way.

Hal 06-30-2004 04:42 PM

whoo whoo!

*is on the manual train*

cliff 06-30-2004 05:26 PM

u guys suck, wanted a 6mt soooo bad, but my parents wont let me get it because they think im gunna race with it, its not like i dont in the 5at lol

neuronbob 06-30-2004 08:28 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....all you 6MTers can go :grinfawk: yourselves. :D j/k Seriously, I'm glad you're having fun, I'm still having a great time in my A-Spec-ized 5AT. OTOH, I'll have to find that thread saying why we 5ATers have it better.......

Silver Bullet 06-30-2004 08:41 PM

I ordered the auto and test drove the 6MT after ordering it. I walked out with the six speed I test drove.

I drove the auto loner car when I took my car back in to get the A-Spec installed. The car felt heavier and seemed slower. Definitely not as good as the 6MT.
If you went auto you :jack: lost out on a great driving experience IMHO.

No flamers from you auto people.:fingerfawk:

JoganJani 06-30-2004 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I'll have to find that thread saying why we 5ATers have it better.......

Well! Do not make me remind you the other thread "Why stick shift is better" :D

neuronbob 06-30-2004 08:49 PM

Ah, yes....both were DEFINITELY Not Work Safe, weren't they? :D

EmuMessenger 06-30-2004 09:12 PM

Shifts like butter, knocks you in the back seat, chirping first and second gear. Can you ask for anything more.....

Yes! Chirping third!

coop1018 07-01-2004 06:27 AM

Cliff I was in the same boat as you previous to this car. My mom told me that stick shifts will get you in to an accident becuase you have to do so much more. I am glad I am out of the house and on my own to drive the 6MT TL

ensley696 07-01-2004 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by cliff
u guys suck, wanted a 6mt soooo bad, but my parents wont let me get it because they think im gunna race with it, its not like i dont in the 5at lol

If she thought you would race, why buy such a quick car, *L*.

SBTL 07-01-2004 09:28 AM

Should have given you a used Jetta and made you pay for half of it!

Originally Posted by cliff

It's not your falt Cliff, but I feel sorry for parents that would buy a teenager a 2004 TL...
Call me a geezer and old fashioned but that car would mean a lot more to you if you at least helped pay for it...
Believe me, I don't have a problem with being rich...
But for most people that involves hard work.
I do have a problem with giving kids to much too soon...
Doesn't do much for building a sense of responsibility or character.
Hopefully you'll turn out with both!
Enjoy you TL, even if it is a 5AT :D

Bitium 07-01-2004 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by NightRider
Really? Do you frequently get honked at and flipped off for holding people up on the highway? Or does it get up to highway speeds?

Is actually pretty fast, nothing compare to the TL, but the diesel engines have pretty good low end torque.

By law in germany, all autobahns you must stay right at all times. You think you are going fast at 120 mph, but there is always someone going 160mph......slow keep right.....thought 120mph is not slow. I love germany. :bow:

daven8844x 07-01-2004 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by SBTL
It's not your falt Cliff, but I feel sorry for parents that would buy a teenager a 2004 TL...
Call me a geezer and old fashioned but that car would mean a lot more to you if you at least helped pay for it...
Believe me, I don't have a problem with being rich...
But for most people that involves hard work.
I do have a problem with giving kids to much too soon...
Doesn't do much for building a sense of responsibility or character.
Hopefully you'll turn out with both!
Enjoy you TL, even if it is a 5AT :D

Hey SBTL, have any pics of the ASPEC on the SSM? I was wondering how that would look.

SBTL 07-01-2004 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by daven8844x
Hey SBTL, have any pics of the ASPEC on the SSM? I was wondering how that would look.

Sorry but I'm a middle aged fogey (48 going on 49) that still uses a film camera. :lame: The car is beautiful though in this color combination :love:

Silver Bullit posted some photos of his SSM ASPEC. Here is the link:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84879

:toocool:

93SHOcar 07-01-2004 01:29 PM

Yes, the 6 speed, once you get used to the drive by wire and clutch release is an absolute blast to drive!

One thing I have noticed and curious if others have experienced it, is a brief cycle of the traction control system on 1st to 2nd shifts when the road is rough. There is a section of road I generally accelerate fairly hard on and if I am really taching it up (6k or so) in 1st, when I shift to 2nd (with fully depressed clutch, not "speed shifting") and release the cluch, I see a brief flash of the traction control light and the engine bogs slightly. I am guessing that the rough road is causing a significant loss of traction when 2nd is engaged, the traction control is engaged for a fraction of a second and the throttle is reduced for the same small period of time. Anyone else noticed this??

Thanks

coop1018 07-01-2004 01:39 PM

I use to notice that until I started turning off traction control every time I start the car. It is more a pain in the ass then a helpful safety feature

agd 07-01-2004 01:42 PM

Anyone have trouble in 1st? I've driven a stick for years and for some reason on my new tl. I feel like it jumps somewhat unless i ride the clutch and give her some gas. Also I noticed last night while looking for a parking spot in second gear the car won't stall it's like cruise control(just stays on like 1500 rpms without pressing the gas! Can't wait to break her in to rev it...only 400 miles on the tl.

Can someone explain the speed shifting mentioned, does it mean no clutch depression?

Is it me or in your opinion is 2nd gear the fastest gear?

coop1018 07-01-2004 01:58 PM

No second gear does seem incredibly fast. That is why I always have a crappy start but overtake everyone in second gear

Shaggy 07-05-2004 09:30 AM

I cant get enough of my 6MT. I open the door and look at it sitting there in the garage, and start salivating. This car is soooo much fun. I hallucinate sometimes & imagine I have the road all to yourself, no stop lights, no cops, no slower moving vehicles, just other like minded 6MT TL owners sharing the road, the sky is blue, the sun sparkling, the ocean on my right, the mountins on my left,.. then my boss comes in F*$%@s everything up.

one4thegipper 07-05-2004 09:34 AM

6mt Is Sweeeeeeeet!!!

'Nuff said! :D

SilverJ 07-05-2004 04:43 PM

Six Speed > All

I love my six speed, I had a cl type s which was an automatic, about the same power as the tl but I love the tl so much more due to the manual. It is so smooth....also seeing now that the automatics are being recalled makes my purchase feel that much sweeter.