Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6MT owners, tell me if your transmission pauses more than once

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by 6MTrules
I agree with jennarocks about props for SouthernBoy. And his successfully recreating my 70mph "test" just about made my day! (And proved that I wasn't crazy!)
I have noticed this in the past.. I just didn't pay it much mind since it never "hung" at all like my SVT Contour did, so as far as I was concerned, there was no problem. But then I tried what you described and I did it several times, shifting at different RPMs and you got it right as far as I could tell.

The R's fell down to what they would be in the next higher gear at the speed at which I was traveling and stayed there for maybe as much as 1.5 to 2 seconds. The thing is, they fell to that RPM in a normal fashion before holding steady. This is good because most of us have shifted into the next higher gear and the clutch is coming back out by this time, so you certainly don't want the engine running at a higher speed than what it should be.. not the best for the drive train.

Thanks for the nice words but more importantly, thanks for the test you reported.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:07 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but can someone explain how to replicate this consistently? Sometimes this "pause" in the rpm's happens when I upshift and then sometimes the rpm's just drop right through where the next gear should be engaged at.

I'd just like it to be consistent one way or the other, and I can't figure out why it does that sometimes and doesn't do it other times. Sometimes I wish I just had a car that didn't have electronics controlling everything...
Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by djDANNY
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but can someone explain how to replicate this consistently? Sometimes this "pause" in the rpm's happens when I upshift and then sometimes the rpm's just drop right through where the next gear should be engaged at.

I'd just like it to be consistent one way or the other, and I can't figure out why it does that sometimes and doesn't do it other times. Sometimes I wish I just had a car that didn't have electronics controlling everything...
I haven't tested the two ways of upshifting against one another to be able to make an definitive statements, but I would bet that the ECU "knows" when you are simply shifting normally. That is to say any undue waiting before completing the shift compared to just a normal upshift.. not a quick shift but a normally timed shift. In those cases I have not seen engine speed deliberately held at a given RPM in anticipation of your completed shift. I have only seen this when I deliberately delay completing the shift.

Does this make sense?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I haven't tested the two ways of upshifting against one another to be able to make an definitive statements, but I would bet that the ECU "knows" when you are simply shifting normally. That is to say any undue waiting before completing the shift compared to just a normal upshift.. not a quick shift but a normally timed shift. In those cases I have not seen engine speed deliberately held at a given RPM in anticipation of your completed shift. I have only seen this when I deliberately delay completing the shift.

Does this make sense?
By "deliberately delay" do you mean if you accelerate and get off the throttle and wait a second and then clutch in? Versus a normal shift is accelerate and immediately get off throttle while clutching in?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

By "deliberately delay" do you mean if you accelerate and get off the throttle and wait a second and then clutch in? Versus a normal shift is accelerate and immediately get off throttle while clutching in?
No. What I meant by deliberately delaying completion of an upshift in order to see the ECU hold engine speed at the level where it would need to be for the higher gear was this. Let up on the throttle and at the same time disengage the clutch. Then just hold that position for a few seconds. You should see the engine speed drop and then hold for a moment at the point it needs to be at when your clutch is re-engaged in the higher gear.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
No. What I meant by deliberately delaying completion of an upshift in order to see the ECU hold engine speed at the level where it would need to be for the higher gear was this. Let up on the throttle and at the same time disengage the clutch. Then just hold that position for a few seconds. You should see the engine speed drop and then hold for a moment at the point it needs to be at when your clutch is re-engaged in the higher gear.
Yeah I can't get mine to do that consistently while doing that. If I clutch in and just hold the clutch down, sometimes it pauses, other times it just drops all the way back to idle without being held for a second at the next gear's rpm.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I can't get mine to do that consistently while doing that. If I clutch in and just hold the clutch down, sometimes it pauses, other times it just drops all the way back to idle without being held for a second at the next gear's rpm.
I don't think I have tried doing any of this since 2006 when I first learned of this TL "feature". Since I have never had the need to do it, it just doesn't cross my mind.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
What RPM are you shifting at? I thought there was a certain RPM you had to reach before it would rev match the next gear. 3000 maybe?
The following users liked this post:
djDANNY (01-23-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 08:54 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Kikirra
...thought there was a certain RPM you had to reach before it would rev match the next gear. 3000 maybe?
This is what I have heard, and this has been my experience as well. It's hard to replicate on the street because of traffic and low-speeds. But I have actually seen the computer boost rpm on it's own once I moved the shift lever from neutral into a lower gear (cause I waited too long and rpm had dropped).
Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kikirra
What RPM are you shifting at? I thought there was a certain RPM you had to reach before it would rev match the next gear. 3000 maybe?
Hmm... I'll try that tonight. I think unconsciously I usually shift around 2500-2800 unless I'm going up a hill.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 PM
LeftFoot, RightHand Happy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(I was surprised to see this thread resurrected also! It was one of my favorite threads early on to get involved with.)

Yes, you need to go above 3K or so, for the rev matching to happen for upshifting.
The following users liked this post:
djDANNY (01-23-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 6MTrules
(I was surprised to see this thread resurrected also! It was one of my favorite threads early on to get involved with.)

Yes, you need to go above 3K or so, for the rev matching to happen for upshifting.
Thanks guys. I forced myself to shift around 3.5K tonight and it did do that automatic rev matching thing. Mystery solved!