Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6MT Overhauled

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT Overhauled

I just had the TSB done on my '06 6MT. This probably seems like a silly question, but how can I be sure anything was actually done? It has 43K and had bad symptoms until I switched to GM Synchromesh fluid at 15K. That took care of the symptoms of clashing and popping out of gear, but it still felt a little rough going into 3rd gear occasionally -- maybe every 4th shift into third (only upshifting from 2nd, never when downshifting). Anyway, I took it in for the TSB and they claimed they did it (long list of parts and two days in the shop). But it feels the same to me (occasionally rough going into third, etc). Also, when I changed to my winter tires, the transaxle didn't look like it had been disturbed: usually you can see that everything is cleaned up, evidence of things being apart, fresh RTV sealer where the case halves meet, etc. It just doesn't look worked on to me...maybe I'm nuts?

Do you think there's a chance they didn't do it? What steps do you think I should take? If confronted, the shop will insist they did it and maybe cover their tracks. What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Racer

From what you say, it sounds like nothing is done... but it will be almost impossible to prove it and get anywhere with the dealership. Time for you to find a new dealer or a local mechanic you feel you can trust.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Wise of you to inspect the undercarriage and look for signs of work having been done or not. Perhaps do another more detailed inspection and make some notes about what you find. When cotmfk comments about the difficulty in proving the shop did nothing, he is most likely correct. Unless you get a sympathetic ear (as in scared because they didn't thing you would check) at the service department who is willing to look into it. Possible they have have just drained and filled the case with fluid and called it a day.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. I will have to get back under and do a more detailed inspection. My dealership has a relatively small service department. For them to not do the work would require a massive conspiracy because it should be obvious to everyone that the trans isn't out of the car, it's not on the bench being overhauled, etc. I will also look at the service manual and review what has to be removed to in order to get the transaxle out. I hope I'm wrong. I also doubt I could get another dealer to support me and go against another dealer -- it would be like a declaration of war. I do think if they just drained it and refilled it with Honda MTF, the symptoms I used to have would come back, though I understand the new fluid is improved.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Well, it's too late for this, but I think most states have some kind of law that says the dealer/repair shop has to return the used parts to you if you make the request. I'm not sure how this works if the repair work is for a warranty or a TSB. In these cases, sometimes the dealer has to return the parts to Acura, but you may still be able to look at them before they ship them back. You can also ask them to give you a call after they've cracked the transmission so you can come by a see for yourself. I did this after my 2nd head gasket repair on my 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo by the same dealership and they were more than happy to oblige. What a great car! (except for the notorious head gasket problem that I finally solve by torqueing the headbolts beyond factory specs) Bought it brand new and drove it for 17 years! Wish I had never sold it, but couldn't justify the expense to move it from Bossier City to Minot...but I digress.....

Last edited by nfnsquared; 12-05-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Intermediate

Suggest that you drop the plastic cover under the vehicle (two 10mm bolts and four push type fasteners). You should see evidence of the transmission bolts being removed/retightened and some RTV from the transmission halves. It's almost impossible to see without dropping that cover.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

In addition, it takes several thousand miles for the synchos to seat, so have patience. If they kept the car for two days, that about what it takes to remover/replace the transaxle and make the repairs. In addition, the dealer would have to perform a four wheel alignment on the vehicle. If you were used to driving with the GM friction modified trans fluid and the dealer put in the Honda fluid, that could be one reason for the notchy shifting. I had my third gearset replaced and it took about 5k miles before I really noticed any big difference. This was done at 15k miles. I just swithced to the GM fluid. Like night and day.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Advanced

So Mayday, do you think I should go back to the GM fluid? I agree that the synchros haven't had a chance to wear in yet and I do detect some notchiness in other gears that I didn't with the SMF, especially when cold (I'm in Chicago and it's real cold here now). I'll also drop the cover just to satisfy myself. This dealer has always been good before and no reason to doubt him except that it doesn't look like it's been worked on recently. Thanks everyone for your input.