AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/)
-   -   6MT Brembos makes loud squealing noise (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/6mt-brembos-makes-loud-squealing-noise-558114/)

willz822 08-28-2004 06:15 PM

6MT Brembos makes loud squealing noise

I'm sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. Does anyone else with a 6MT have this loud squealing noise? It only happens when I'm in traffic and the car is barely moving. When I step on the brakes, it makes the loudest squeal. Quite embarrassing for a car that's barely a month old with only 800 miles. Anyone out there with a fix? It is so annoying I am about to put a bullet in my head. :screwy:

BarryH 08-28-2004 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by willz822
I'm sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. Does anyone else with a 6MT have this loud squealing noise? It only happens when I'm in traffic and the car is barely moving. When I step on the brakes, it makes the loudest squeal. Quite embarrassing for a car that's barely a month old with only 800 miles. Anyone out there with a fix? It is so annoying I am about to put a bullet in my head. :screwy:

Volvo came out with a re-formulated pad to deal with squealing on the R's. Anyone whose brakes squealed got the new pads. Maybe Acura's planning something similar.

JoganJani 08-28-2004 06:36 PM

This noise is common. DO a search and you'll find at least 20 threads on this. Try bedding your pads it might go away.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

EmuMessenger 08-28-2004 07:19 PM

I do not need the directions, but bookmarked the site for future use. Nice find. Rep points.

93SHOcar 08-28-2004 10:48 PM

I now have 6800 miles on my 6MT and the squeeling has all but gone away. I might hear it once a week on very light pedal pressure when approaching a red. Even then, it as not nearly as loud as it was during the first 1-2k.

xlilbluux 08-28-2004 11:51 PM

i thought most brembos squeek.

caball88 08-29-2004 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by xlilbluux
i thought most brembos squeek.

at first but it should go away.

6mtV6 08-29-2004 07:40 AM

The G35c 6mt had a lot of squealing.

SouthernBoy 08-29-2004 08:32 AM

Mine only squeal when backing up very slowly and with light pedal pressure. They've never squealed when the car is moving forward.

nick04tl 08-29-2004 09:57 AM

acura came out with an updated pad to replace the ones that came on the 6 speeds from the factory. i replaced a couple of sets for customers that were complaining. the tsb included resurfacing the front rotors and replacing the pads with updated pads. that was tsb 04-019 i believe. two weeks ago acura discontinued that tsb since the new updated pads were still making noise. so there is no fix available for the noise now. we got a letter stating acura should have a fix soon, maybe a month or so.

JoganJani 08-29-2004 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by nick04tl
acura came out with an updated pad to replace the ones that came on the 6 speeds from the factory. i replaced a couple of sets for customers that were complaining. the tsb included resurfacing the front rotors and replacing the pads with updated pads. that was tsb 04-019 i believe. two weeks ago acura discontinued that tsb since the new updated pads were still making noise. so there is no fix available for the noise now. we got a letter stating acura should have a fix soon, maybe a month or so.

nick, is it possible for you to scan and send this TSB?

nick04tl 08-29-2004 11:14 AM

im not quite sure if you want tsb 04-019 or the updated one when it comes out? acura dealers are not supposed to do 04-019. in fact i believe acura called back the updated pads and are only shipping them if a dealer has a car down. i will try to get the updated tsb for you as soon as it comes out.

caball88 08-29-2004 01:00 PM

is there a tsb for the brake dust?? cause holy smokes the front wheel turns black so quick.

lstepnio 08-29-2004 09:42 PM

I've had several cars/motorcycles with Brembo brakes and the ones on my TL make least noise of any that I have had or seen.

alvon 08-30-2004 12:01 AM

The last tsb worked for me

Originally Posted by nick04tl

My front brake pads were replaced with the new pads and rotor re-surfaced, and that was in early July. The brakes had been quiet since.

aLLaNshEuz0rs 08-30-2004 05:29 AM

i heard the same noise while reversing and when im barely moving, then when i pressed the brake, i heard a squeak. a lot of people on the forums experienced the same, so u shouldn't worry.

pinito 08-30-2004 06:46 AM

I have a 6MT, 1050 miles so far. No squealing at all.

JetJock 08-30-2004 08:29 AM

I have a 6mt, 3000 miles and no squealing. I took the time to "break in" the brakes when I purchased the car, and so far, I've never heard even a hint of a squeal. Proper break-in of Brembo's is necessary to "seat" the pads, and prevent squealing. There have been threads about the proper method of break-in, from quite aggressive to moderate.....I picked the "moderate" method with good results.

William_B 08-30-2004 08:56 AM

Go back to asbestos in the pads and you can get rid of this problem. My ears will take the little abuse this causes vs. dying a grousome death from asbestiosis :P.

soljc 08-30-2004 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by alvon
My front brake pads were replaced with the new pads and rotor re-surfaced, and that was in early July. The brakes had been quiet since.

I also had pads replaced and rotors resurfaced as part of the TSB in late July and haven't had any squealing since.

seamg 08-30-2004 09:51 AM

I've got 8K miles on my 6MT and no squealing from my Brembos yet. :victory:

alvon 08-30-2004 10:42 AM

No noise and less dust with the new pads

And significantly less brake duct too :P

Originally Posted by alvon