Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 MT 2nd gear trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 MT 2nd gear trouble

Anyone else have what feels like a studdering affect in 2nd gear, mostly between 3000 to 4500 RPM range, not sure if it is only when the tranny is cold.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Racer

I have what I think is the same problem. Not sure though. In 2nd gear, once in a while, I'll step on the gas and the revs will rise but the car seems like it's stuttering. Doesn't happen that often but still is a cause for concern. Anybody out there experiencing this problem or know what might be the cause?

Old 09-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get a stuttering feeling in second gear some times but only when i down shift. I rev match the car almost perfectly every time and when i release the clutch i get a stutter when the car engages completely in 2nd gear. it is kind of hard to explain. Dont know wha it is but it doesnt bother me enough to complain about it.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
No, mine's as smooth as can be. My engine has never "studdered" or hesitated in any gear.. rather refreshing since that was a problem with my '02 Altima SE (enough that Nissan issued a TSB for it).

Frankly, my throttle response is so good that it has become pretty infrequent when I nail the throttle.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:06 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Stutter (studder?) sounds like a glazed clutch, or hotspots - both of which I had on my NSX from day one - I finally got an engineer insider at honda (using my press credentials) to diagnose that the clutch was hotspotted by the carrier when he moved the car off the truck. They replaced (big bucks - huge).

Now I am sure yu are saying "but it is only second gear"! Well, it was only first gear on the NSX. The good news is that this will often go away on its own, and you can easily drive 40K with it like that.

Now, if it is not that, I would be very surprised, as no honda I have ever had (including Accords, the NSX, and now the S2000) had tranny problems. The only improvement I have made to the S2000's tranny is dumping Honda's mediocre MTF for GM Syncromesh Friction Modified (GMSFM). BIG difference. The 2004 S2000 has carbon-fiber faced synchros (to match the CF reinforced cylinder sleeves perhaps?), but retains the classic S2000 cold shift 1-2 crunch. GMSFS eliminated it, and the shift feel is terrific. It will also provide longer srvice life, as it is semi-synthetic. MTF is just reinforced engine oil, and analysis has shown in the S2000 that it is practically gone at 15K.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Racer

I noticed that the tranny acts "funny" when its cold, and I suppose I could intrepret "studdering" and "funny" to be one in the same. But it goes away pretty quickly once the car warms up.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
Stutter (studder?) sounds like a glazed clutch, or hotspots - both of which I had on my NSX from day one - I finally got an engineer insider at honda (using my press credentials) to diagnose that the clutch was hotspotted by the carrier when he moved the car off the truck. They replaced (big bucks - huge).

Now I am sure yu are saying "but it is only second gear"! Well, it was only first gear on the NSX. The good news is that this will often go away on its own, and you can easily drive 40K with it like that.

Now, if it is not that, I would be very surprised, as no honda I have ever had (including Accords, the NSX, and now the S2000) had tranny problems. The only improvement I have made to the S2000's tranny is dumping Honda's mediocre MTF for GM Syncromesh Friction Modified (GMSFM). BIG difference. The 2004 S2000 has carbon-fiber faced synchros (to match the CF reinforced cylinder sleeves perhaps?), but retains the classic S2000 cold shift 1-2 crunch. GMSFS eliminated it, and the shift feel is terrific. It will also provide longer srvice life, as it is semi-synthetic. MTF is just reinforced engine oil, and analysis has shown in the S2000 that it is practically gone at 15K.
Road Rage,
Do you have any experience with GMSFM in the 04' TL? I have a 6MT which is mostly silky smooth, but there are times (warm or cold) when it is not so smooth. Also, at what mileage would you recommend that I change the OEM tranny oil?
And one more thing, what is the history behind the GMSFM? Was it to address a lack of engineering on GM's part? This is not intended to slam GM - I'm just curious.

TL-Rocket
Old 09-27-2004, 03:04 PM
10th Gear

Hi, I just noticed today that my NBP stutters once in a while in 2nd gear...I'll be going about 15-20 mph and if I release the gas and the rpms drop to around 1500 I can feel the car kind of "catch" and basically move "unsmoothly". Is this typical of all MT TL's? Is there any chance that there might be some problem with the transmission? BTW there is a similar sympton in 3rd and 1st gear...can't notice anything in 4-6. Gonna try calling service department but any help/wisdom from u guys would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TL-Rocket
Road Rage,
Do you have any experience with GMSFM in the 04' TL? I have a 6MT which is mostly silky smooth, but there are times (warm or cold) when it is not so smooth. Also, at what mileage would you recommend that I change the OEM tranny oil?
And one more thing, what is the history behind the GMSFM? Was it to address a lack of engineering on GM's part? This is not intended to slam GM - I'm just curious.

TL-Rocket
I would say that any tranny that uses Honda MTF would benefit from GMSFM - that has been our experience in the S2000 community. I have an automatic, so i have no 1st hand experience, no.

GM has been at the forefront of tranny fluid development - funny how people tend to suspect the alternative. For example, in the German Getrag trannies used in some of GM's cars in the 1990's, replacing the factory fill with "good ol gear lube" resulted in lots of warranty claims for GM/ Why? Because those trannies were designed for GL-4 fluids, which lack the high sulfur levels of GL-5. The "yellow metals " (bronze, brass, copper) used in synchronizers in the getrags failed, and it cost GM a fortune. They got smart and developed a spec for all their trannies - Texaco and Pennzoil both developed "GM Syncromesh" fluids.

GMSFM was specifically designed for the small truck manual used in GM vehicles - it is specfically designed for the New Venture 1500 transmission. Follow my Links to the S2KI forum. It and much more are revealed to those willing to do a bit of reading, thinking, and wrenching.

The S2000 community kind of stumbled onto GMSFM - I believe it was the great Gernby on the S2KI.COM forum who first tried it - the rest was trial and error. I did a complete analysis. It is all there.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=195574

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=228072
Old 09-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by TL-Rocket
Road Rage,

TL-Rocket
I believe a member of this forum, deandorsey did change his tranny fluid to GFSFM. You can PM him for further details.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro

I've recently noticed a similar problem in low gear. Every so often, the engine lags seriously as if I'm driving a shitty 4Cyl with the compressor on full blast and the car goes nowhere. When it happens I can actually give it full throttle and it doesn't accelerate normally at all. This is not cool when you're pulling out into traffic. Over the last week, I've noticed it about three times, and it seems to be random. It started about 3 weeks ago before I left for a business trip.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm driving a 6MT vin15xxx

I'm going to contact my service dept soon, but I'm trying to get a better idea of what I need to tell them to accurately describe it.