Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5w20 vs. 5w30 MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5w20 vs. 5w30 MPG?

I have a '07 TL-S. I currently run 5w30 in my car in the hopes it would protect the engine better in the case I floor the car. Of course I know that flooring the car get horrible MPG. However, still running 5w30, I baby the car for 2 weeks now and I don't see any improvement in MPG. Still barely hitting 19MPG. I am starting to think that the oil is causing the car to get soo little mileage. Could using 5w30 instead of 5w20 ADVERSLY affect gas mileage? From what I heard from mechanics, the switch should have very minimal affect on MPG.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:21 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
its the foot bro, a member advised to drive with your hip and not your foot and it worked went up to 19mpg in nyc, but it didn't last I love going wide open throttle so I am barely at 12mpg lmfao, mainly cuz I have to warm her up before I drive off but still 5w30 is better than 5w20

ps. diggin your car collection
Old 02-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you think going to a heavier weight oil would give you better gas mileage? It adds a small but measureable amount of friction, therefore I would expect mileage to go down.
I am confident that Acura expected people to "floor it" when they recommended the 5w-20 weight.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Stllhere. Just FYI, I received my latest Amsoil tech book in the mail yesterday, and the "Signature" 0W-30 is recommended as replacement oil for 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30. No mention of 5W-20. I think you were asking about a week or two ago about it.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

darksom1 was asking, I am using royal purple 5w30... it is insane bro, like vtec pops soooo hard compared to amsoil 5w20, it runs much more powerfull and my gf described it best when I went wot yesterday "it sounds like the car is screaming" then it shifted to 3rd and got louder lmfoa
Old 02-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

^ I read in another thread that if you FEEL the vtec engaging, you are actually producing less hp over the entire band. It should be a smooth, transparent flow. In many ways, it makes sense.
RP is well know to have a high moly base, so maybe you are going in the wrong direction?
No offense intended, just an observation.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:14 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

not the vtec engaging just the shifts are crisper, I ment in terms that it was more responsive, not to mention the added pressure increase by the hamp oil filter I am using

I am going to add an oil catch can to better monitor things
oil pressure gauge and temperature later
Old 02-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
Why would you think going to a heavier weight oil would give you better gas mileage? It adds a small but measureable amount of friction, therefore I would expect mileage to go down.
I am confident that Acura expected people to "floor it" when they recommended the 5w-20 weight.
I didn't say that using 5w30 would get you better MPG, I know it protects it better however you sacrifice MPG. I just thought it wouldn't be such a significant drop in MPG. The question was whether anyone has any insight about switching from 5w20 to 5w30 would cause a significant drop in MPG. 5w20 from what I heard was recommended based fuel economy rather than performance. If anyone has any better insight please enlighten us.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
From what I've read, going from a 20-30wt will reduce mileage by .5mpg. I used to do a ton of freeway driving and did not notice any difference. I use a straight 30wt that also qualifies as a 10-30 due to it's good flow when cold. When the engine is cold, theres a very, very slight loss of power. Once warm, the car feels faster then with 5-20 and vtec is more noticable. Oil also stays golden longer and engine is much quieter. The only time you might want to stick with 5-20 is if you do lots of short trips where the oil never gets up to temp.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned

5w-20 vs. 5w-30:

Gain of 0.8% for GF-3 Oil:
http://www.epa.gov/orcdizux/cert/dearmfr/ccd0112.pdf

Gain of 1.0% for GF-4 Oil:
http://www.epa.gov/OMSWWW/cert/dearmfr/ccd0407.pdf
Old 02-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used Valvoline 5w30 and the car does seem much smoother at WOT....
Old 02-16-2008, 06:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stillhere153
not the vtec engaging just the shifts are crisper, I ment in terms that it was more responsive, not to mention the added pressure increase by the hamp oil filter I am using

I am going to add an oil catch can to better monitor things
oil pressure gauge and temperature later
I too, have noticed that the more throttle you apply, the quicker the shifts.
I can "chirp" the tires on the 1-2 shift Maybe this time Acura got the tranny right.
BTW, mine is an A/T.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Royal Purple is the shit! I'll die before i go back to another! lmao
Old 02-16-2008, 07:26 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

I am not going to argue the point, but I use Amsoil SS 0W-30 and it is a beast. I get better response and smoother acceleration than even when I used Pennzoil Platinum, which I also liked by the way. I havent checked my MPG, but I drive like a bat out of hell when I choose so fuck it. To each his own. I dont believe in just one oil or anything for that matter. Use what you like. Plus, as far as a replacement is concerned, if you can use 5W-30 in place of 5W-20, then why isn't it logical that you can replace that same 5W-30 with 0W-30? I am and I enjoy the change! Again, to each his own. Fuck it...call me a trailblazer!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by darksom1
I am not going to argue the point, but I use Amsoil SS 0W-30 and it is a beast. I get better response and smoother acceleration than even when I used Pennzoil Platinum, which I also liked by the way. I havent checked my MPG, but I drive like a bat out of hell when I choose so fuck it. To each his own. I dont believe in just one oil or anything for that matter. Use what you like. Plus, as far as a replacement is concerned, if you can use 5W-30 in place of 5W-20, then why isn't it logical that you can replace that same 5W-30 with 0W-30? I am and I enjoy the change! Again, to each his own. Fuck it...call me a trailblazer!
I ran the SSO 0-30 too. It's in the girlfriend's Murano right now. It worked great for me but I decided to give the ACD a shot since it's a straight 30 with no VIIs that qualifies as a 10-30 due to it's good cold flow. In my climate, no reason for a 0wt or even a 5wt since a 10w is good for 0F. Are you going to do an analysis when you drain the SSO? I meant to and totally forgot.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:47 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm i've always used 5w20 Mobil 1 and it seems fine. Maybe i'll give the Amsoil SS 0W-30 a try.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
sorry, i dont think you can tell the difference between a 0w30, 5w30, or 5w20 weights...your car isnt going to all of a sudden perform better between thoes weights of oil...its all in your head...and your also not going to feel the difference between a synthetic vrs conventional oil either....for the record, i have used mobil one for over 20 years and i will stick with that, i plan on using 5w20 because thats whats recommended...i wouldnt have a problem using any of the listed weights, i am just trying to say your cars not shifting better or performing better....
Old 02-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vinnier6
sorry, i dont think you can tell the difference between a 0w30, 5w30, or 5w20 weights...your car isnt going to all of a sudden perform better between thoes weights of oil...its all in your head...and your also not going to feel the difference between a synthetic vrs conventional oil either....for the record, i have used mobil one for over 20 years and i will stick with that, i plan on using 5w20 because thats whats recommended...i wouldnt have a problem using any of the listed weights, i am just trying to say your cars not shifting better or performing better....
The oil can actually make the rings seal better. The thin stuff with a low HTHS actually gives better fuel economy because it temporarily shears in the ring packs and potentially the bearings. For friction it's not bad but for a performance motor it's not good. The only reason the thin stuff is recommended is for CAFE standards, nothing else.

I was expecting to feel a more sluggish car with the 10-30. I floored it for the first time to see just how much power it had lost and it felt faster. I doubt it was my imagination when I was expecting the opposite. Doesn't matter to me though. I will stick with my 10-30 and all the sheep can keep following gov't mandated standards to increse mileage by .5mpg.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:04 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
haha well apparently i'm half below gov't standards because I get 10/13 on local roads.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:26 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
The only reason the thin stuff is recommended is for CAFE standards, nothing else.

Actually it's recommended due to best fuel economy and the "FACT" that it provides excellent performance.

Would I have run it in my 750+ HP Big Block??? No... But that "was" a "performance" motor.....

"The thin stuff with a low HTHS actually gives better fuel economy because it temporarily shears in the ring packs and potentially the bearings.

- What the????? I'd like to see the foot-note referencing that "data."

The oil debate will go on forever, and the "comments" will always be abundant, because not many here (including me) are oil/petroleum engineers...

- All of this rhetoric is pretty much personal opinion at this point and should be in oil "ramblings."

As you mentioned, use what you want, but don't go calling those who probably know more than you - "sheep." Just makes you look like the donkey...
Old 02-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD

Old 02-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Actually it's recommended due to best fuel economy and the "FACT" that it provides excellent performance.

Would I have run it in my 750+ HP Big Block??? No... But that "was" a "performance" motor.....

"The thin stuff with a low HTHS actually gives better fuel economy because it temporarily shears in the ring packs and potentially the bearings.

- What the????? I'd like to see the foot-note referencing that "data."

The oil debate will go on forever, and the "comments" will always be abundant, because not many here (including me) are oil/petroleum engineers...

- All of this rhetoric is pretty much personal opinion at this point and should be in oil "ramblings."

As you mentioned, use what you want, but don't go calling those who probably know more than you - "sheep." Just makes you look like the donkey...
I've done my research on the subject. Because you don't understand it doesn't mean you should call it personal opinion or rhetoric.

Sure, the engine will live a decent life on 5-20 but why is it that Honda recommends thicker oil in it's performance models? Why is it that the exact same cars in Europe where they run harder for extended periods use thicker oil? Why did Honda go to 5-20 from 5-30 on the same motors with the same clearances? How exactly is it that they can recommend one oil for all of North American climates? Did you know 10wt is good down to 0 degreees F? The mileage increases are going to be for people who do lots of short trips where the oil never gets to operating temp. For those people I recommend sticking with the 5-20.

As for the oil temporarily shearing in the ring packs, do your research. I'm not here to do it for you but I assure you after some digging you will find that it's true.

If you believe that Acura and CAFE are looking out for the consumer's best interests, you are sadly mistaken.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:59 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by I hate [url="#"
cars[/url]]I ran the SSO 0-30 too. It's in the girlfriend's Murano right now. It worked great for me but I decided to give the ACD a shot since it's a straight 30 with no VIIs that qualifies as a 10-30 due to it's good cold flow. In my climate, no reason for a 0wt or even a 5wt since a 10w is good for 0F. Are you going to do an analysis when you drain the SSO? I meant to and totally forgot.
Yeah, I plan to do an analysis. I hope I don't forget. Maybe I should just go to that site right now and order the kit!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

I know this subject is extremely subjective. and I am not sure why.
I use, and will continue to use, 5W-20 as Honda recommends. In my case, it's Amsoil. As to the weight, it's the end of discussion for me.
I don't think, in the end, it will matter.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Yeah the oil & oil filter threads here are generally a fun read.

As to the original question in the thread about MPG differences; its a non event. If there is a savings its so slight you will never see it in money saved.

Think about this. Say you drive 15,000 miles per year, gas is $3.25 a gallon & you get 20mpg.

It costs you $2437 for a years worth of gas or about $6.70 a day.

If you bump your mileage all the way up to 30MPG, a major 10mpg increase, you will be spending about $4.46 a day.

That is a saving of $2.24 a day.

With the extra $2.24 a day you can buy a $4.75 cup of Starbucks Java Chip Frappuccino every third day.

Forgot. Mobil 1 synthetic oil at Honda spec & Mobil1-104 filters are about a crazy as I will get in oil land.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:49 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've done my research on the subject. Because you don't understand it doesn't mean you should call it personal opinion or rhetoric.
-Hate to burst your bubble (and I'm by no means saying your uneducated in the subject), but unless you are an oil expert and I mean schooled and seasoned oil properties engineer, not to mention have "real" test data given the oils and engine discussed... It's personal opinion.
-- I happen to fully understand the topic and have researched it plenty. I use 5w-20 in the winter and 5w-30 in the summer. Is that required - no. Yet I don't go calling people "sheep" for performing there own research and making the educated decision to use a 20w.

As for the oil temporarily shearing in the ring packs, do your research. I'm not here to do it for you but I assure you after some digging you will find that it's true.
- If I wanted to be an ass I would comment that I'm glad I don't rely on your research. Read your own statement that I typed "what the??" for... Sure oil "shear" can occur in numerous locations within an engine, the ring pack is one of them. But you state that the "thin stuff" say 5w-20, offers better fuel economy due to the fact it shears in the ring packs and bearings. "That" is the comment I questioned and would "still" love to see a relevant reference.
-- Research does reveal that the lesser viscosity and packages used in 5w-20 or even 0w-20 give you the added (1-2%) fuel economy - not "shearing."
-- I've also read more statements of how a 30w tends to shear down to a 20w than a 20w shearing at all.

If you believe that Acura and CAFE are looking out for the consumer's best interests, you are sadly mistaken.
I haven't used either as a point of reference or in my decision making process. I'm a firm believer in the motto: "in God we trust, all others we verify..."
I prefer independent test and research data.

Sorry for the debate folks. As S PAW 1 stated: "I know this subject is extremely subjective, and I am not sure why."

Bottom line, both 20 and 30 weight oils offer great protection. Do I believe that CAFE is the only reason for 5w-20 and it is possibly harmful to an applicable application? No.
On the other hand, something I think I Hate Cars and I would agree on is the fact that besides possible fuel economy loss, is their any reason not to use 5w-30 in the TL? No again.

Cheers
Old 02-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HQTL6SPD
Does that mean you think it's good stuff, or are you suicidal? [lol!]

Just trying to lighten things up.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

You guys have me so friggin confused

So I changed the oil yesterday when I put on my Progress RSB.

I used a KN-1010 filter
2 qts. Amsoil Signature 0w-30
2 qts. Amsoil XL 5w-20
1/2 qt Mobil 1 5w-20

WILL I HURT MY ENGINE??????????
Old 02-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

WILL I HURT MY ENGINE??????????
Nah great choice. You should expect 52MPG & 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. Of course if you switch the XL & M-1 proportions you could knock the 0-60 time down to 4.1 & pick-up 3/100's of a MPG.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:52 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Nah great choice. You should expect 52MPG & 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. Of course if you switch the XL & M-1 proportions you could knock the 0-60 time down to 4.1 & pick-up 3/100's of a MPG.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:55 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

paw you a smartass, I sure hope you were joking lmfao
Old 03-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Team Owner

To bring this back from the dead...

I stumbled across this thread on accident. Funny, an HTHS increase from 2.1 to 3.2 showed 1/5 the wear on the main and rod bearings. I'm glad my 30wt has an HTHS of 3.4...

Guess how an oil gets the "energy conserving" spec?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...501#Post530501
Old 03-30-2008, 05:16 AM
Suzuka Master

To bring this back from the dead...

I stumbled across this thread on accident. Funny, an HTHS increase from 2.1 to 3.2 showed 1/5 the wear on the main and rod bearings. I'm glad my 30wt has an HTHS of 3.4...

Guess how an oil gets the "energy conserving" spec?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...501#Post530501
It also says for a daily driver use what you want from 20 to 40.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Racer

I saw a post in the "Bob is the oil guy" forum, stating that going from 5-20 to 5-30 only costs you less than one percent mileage (from a Ford study if I recall). Assuming 30mpg highway that would be well less that 1mpg. To really improve your gas mileage one way is to start out much slower from stop signs and red lights. Once up to crusing speeds drive normal. I had a car many years ago that came with a vacuum gauge and proved this out.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,149 Likes on 2,577 Posts
Oh so true the debates will never cease on oil and filters. I run Castrol 5W20 Syntec.

There was a great technical article on the 5W20 oil issue by Dennis Simanaitis in Road and Track magazine. One big issue with motor oil was a few years ago the SAE standard API servie class cahnged from I believe SG to SH the protection in the oil dropped (another great article from Simanaitis explains that also pretty well).

In terms of more power with a thicker oil that is just a myth. Thicker oil results in higher pumping and friction losses over a thinner oil. That is why even in racing they run the thinnest oil possible to achieve the necessary protection for the engine. If the rings are sealing better with a thicker oil over what the engine specification calls for there are ring or bore wear problems.

I know this subject is extremely subjective. and I am not sure why.
I use, and will continue to use, 5W-20 as Honda recommends. In my case, it's Amsoil. As to the weight, it's the end of discussion for me.
I don't think, in the end, it will matter.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:15 AM
600rr > TLS

i just hit 3k miles in my 08 TLS 6MT

ive used amsoil in all of my previous car and i wont put anything else in them.

i used the full syn 5w-30. gas mileage averaging city and highway regular commute to work everyday. same road etc.

gas mileage went up from 21 mpg average. to 24 mpg average.

amsoil also just came out with a full synthetic 0w-20 (which the tls recomends.)
but that is a thin asss oil.

weight for weight synthetic vs basestock oils a 5w-30 synthetic will be lighter than a base stock 5w-30. im not worried. my gas mileage went up and i know im getting better protection regardless.

i like to get on my car once in a while.. its a TLS.

FYI: the Amsoil XLM 7500 (miles before draining) oil thats 5w-20. IS NOT FULLY SYNTHETIC
only the 5-30
and the NEW 0-20 are fully synthetic

i do not work for amsoil
Old 04-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
ok..hella confused...think im gonna have to stick w/ 5-20 mobil...................
Old 04-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by erick3
ok..hella confused...think im gonna have to stick w/ 5-20 mobil...................
Sounds like a plan.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by erick3
It's on the thin side even for a 5-20.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
...define a "short" trip...i wouldn't mind trying the 5w-30 mobil 1...just not sure who to believe! haha you claim "i hate cars" that it gives you more punch?...I do push my car quite a bit...

does everyone ever revv match using their triptronics?!...am i the only one?...........................although i did stop recently...cheaper to repair the pads than engine parts...

Quick Reply: 5w20 vs. 5w30 MPG?