Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5AT SS TL vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5AT SS TL vs TSX

OK, I love the SS in the TL, but my loaner TSX with the SS is even better!!! I loved actually being able to downshift into first gear anf use the engine to help slow me down. I assumed they were the same tranny, or at least the same shifter. They look and feel the same but why would the TSX downshift to first and the TL not???

I have had the oppurtunity to take the TL through the North Georgia Mountains and its a blast, but first gear at 15-20 mph would be great. I know it will shift into it if I put it in L but thats a PITA if you are crusing the the curves in a "spirited" fasion...

Is there any fix for this??
Old 11-17-2004, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Probably not without a major overhaul of the computer programming. It's not just a case of being able to switch a wire here or there.

I know what you mean, and it would be nice to have full control over the tranny, but Acura didn't set it up that way so I doubt that you could ever get it to do what you want.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:10 AM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thegabrielles
OK, I love the SS in the TL, but my loaner TSX with the SS is even better!!! I loved actually being able to downshift into first gear anf use the engine to help slow me down. I assumed they were the same tranny, or at least the same shifter. They look and feel the same but why would the TSX downshift to first and the TL not???

I have had the oppurtunity to take the TL through the North Georgia Mountains and its a blast, but first gear at 15-20 mph would be great. I know it will shift into it if I put it in L but thats a PITA if you are crusing the the curves in a "spirited" fasion...

Is there any fix for this??

My 6MT TL runs great in Mountains crusing the curves in a "spirited" fasion on a trip to YSNP last summer. Nobody can stay behind me.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My '99 TL allows me to downshift into 1st!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
really? The SS in the new TL doesn't let you shift to 1st? Ever?
Old 11-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no and it shouldnt. The only thing you should need it for is a quick launch and if you are driving like that then you need a 6MT. You shouldnt be using first gear to slow you down in an auto or in any car for that matter. I use 3rd and 2nd to slow me down then brake the rest of the way ... People wonder why they have tranny problems ...
Old 11-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
no and it shouldnt. The only thing you should need it for is a quick launch and if you are driving like that then you need a 6MT. You shouldnt be using first gear to slow you down in an auto or in any car for that matter. I use 3rd and 2nd to slow me down then brake the rest of the way ... People wonder why they have tranny problems ...

I never shift to first in SS mode in my TSX... I usually just put it back to Drive when braking, or just let it downshift to 1st itself when coming to a stop.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Racer

Using Engine torque to assist in slowing down is a great help. If you have a car with sports shift like we do it is designed to allow you to keep the car in the gear you want and need without the computer pulling it out of the gear as fast. Down shifting is something I always do in my manual cars. Acura designed the system to allow the TSX to downshift into first but not the TL. To me they would either think it hurts a tranny or not, and if they think it does not hurt then allow it in both cars not just the TSX which is the less sporty of the cars. I have never had a car with sport shift before and I do not see how allowing the engine to go into first could hurt. If I am slowing to 15mph in a turn and I wnat to come out of the turn under hard acceleration, I cant because my tranny is stuck in second gear, does not make sense to me...JMO
Old 11-18-2004, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Ludachrisvt is correct...you shouldn't downshift into first to slow the car down, like you can with the rest of the gears. It's very hard on the transimission. Also, I guess it's subjective, but I definitely would consider the TSX as the more "sporty" car, when compated to the TL, and the TL as the more luxurious. But maybe that's just me.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:09 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

The '04 TL engine has enough torque to effectivelly pull the car in second gear from 15 mph. Not a "drag launch", but enough to increase the speed of the car without hesitation. I love to do that every chance I get just for the feeling of it. Not even MT cars will let you engage 1st gear if the car is moving. And if you are doing 15-20 mph you are not having a "spirited" drive. More like a leisure drive.

Torque braking - not a chance - that's what brakes are for. Think about it. Doing 55 mph in 4th on any back road, you down shift to 3rd to slow down to 50, brake to get down to 30, and then shift again to 2nd to accelerate ??? Great for foot excercise and clutch wear.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Racer

ok I used to road race a bit and you have toget your car set into the gear and begin accelerating way before the exit of the corner, in order to have enough torque you have to be in the correct gear, My TL definitely does not have enough torque. You have to keep the revs up in order to use the power. Slowing the car down by downshifting is hard on the transmission.... to a point, that I know. But so is slamming through the gears. We all do that some. My point is that the tranny in the TSX is set up differently than in the TL, does not make sense for Acura to do that.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
really? The SS in the new TL doesn't let you shift to 1st? Ever?
ya only the '99 TL will do it, they made 1-2 and 2-1 automatic from '00 on. Its fun everyonce in a while when I pretend I drive a fast car. haha
Old 11-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Racer

Just thougt I would bring this thread back to see if anyone had any more input.... I am bored on Turkey day waiting for the games to start..
Old 11-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by thegabrielles
ok I used to road race a bit and you have toget your car set into the gear and begin accelerating way before the exit of the corner, in order to have enough torque you have to be in the correct gear, My TL definitely does not have enough torque. You have to keep the revs up in order to use the power. Slowing the car down by downshifting is hard on the transmission.... to a point, that I know. But so is slamming through the gears. We all do that some. My point is that the tranny in the TSX is set up differently than in the TL, does not make sense for Acura to do that.
all Honda's with VTEC,ya have to keep the revs up Honda's are Famous for high revving engines and in the revs is where the power is at.You hae to learn to master what ya have and use everything to your advantage.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheOne305
all Honda's with VTEC,ya have to keep the revs up Honda's are Famous for high revving engines and in the revs is where the power is at.You hae to learn to master what ya have and use everything to your advantage.

In order to keep the revs up you have to be able to get into first gear, its weird the computer will downshift into first if you punch it in drive but the SS won't let you downshift into first.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:19 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ou sig
ya only the '99 TL will do it, they made 1-2 and 2-1 automatic from '00 on. Its fun everyonce in a while when I pretend I drive a fast car. haha

drive 6MT & you will see FUN
Old 11-26-2004, 01:05 AM
Racer

I agree, I love the manuals, for mt race/ performance cars. But for my "luxory sport" car that is more for commuting than racing, I like the auto. Its nice to have the option to pick the gear every once in a while though. That would be where the Sport Shift comes in