3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 mph vibration and memory seat loss issues both soon to be addressed by Acura!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JonDeutsch
I know it sounds petty, but how do we get Acura to recognize that the "pause" command does not work with HandsFreeLink?

This is a big problem for all of us who want to check our voicemail from the car... I don't want to have to say my PIN every single time I call.. esp if others are in the car with me!

Jon
I have the same frustration. Sending it in two installments takes too long and requires too many acknowledgements.

I now speed dial the entire string with my handset, and then transfer the call to the TL's HFL. This is much less frustrating.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Instructor

Why do some owners have tire vibration and others not? I definitely have it so we need to look at our individual driving situations. When I leave home or work I'm on the feeway within .5 miles. I have significant vibration that diminishes after 3-4 miles, colder-longer. Others may have more more slow speed warm .
Old 12-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Instructor

Why do some owners have tire vibration and others not? Leaving home and leaving work I'm on the freeway within a .5 mile. Big vibration that diminishes within 3-5 miles depending on the temp. Others may not notice the flat spotting because it may be considerable time befor they reach highway speeds. As I understand nylon belts have a memory that enhances flat spots. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S I have been told use a different material.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:22 AM
Instructor

How do you tranfer from handset to HFL? Cannot find it in the manual.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Instructor

How do you tranfer from handset to HFL? Cannot find it in th
Old 12-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Instructor

I'm not trying to be a jerk at all, but there are other threads for the HFL problem, doo you mind if we keep this one on topic. This vibration issue is pretty important to quite a few people.

Thanks,

Chas083, the flatspotting issue is different than the 50-55 mph vibration, which is different from the constant smaller vibration at most non-slow speeds. This is detailed pretty well in some other threads.

Ryan
Old 12-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by rybocf
... the flatspotting issue is different than the 50-55 mph vibration, which is different from the constant smaller vibration at most non-slow speeds. This is detailed pretty well in some other threads.

Ryan
So, do you agree with many on this thread that the culprit is the Turanzas? Or, do you feel there is more to it than that?
Old 12-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Instructor

rybocf, I'm not saying there aren't various vibrations but the one most discussed on this thread is a tire issue. Believe me, the tire issue is the most wide spread problem. What is your vibration issue. By the way I brought up the HFL issue only in responce to a posting on this thread.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally posted by acuraddict
So, do you agree with many on this thread that the culprit is the Turanzas? Or, do you feel there is more to it than that?
The question wasn't posed to me, but my opinion is that there's definitely a problem with the tires, and whether there's something else lurking back there, I really don't know.

I'd expect that Acura would follow proper quality and test protocols by determining the root cause of the 50mph vibrations and testing their solution to make sure there's nothing else there. I'm very interested to know what is determined to be the precise problem (tire design defect vs. manufacturing defect).

Once the Turanza problem is eliminated we'll be able to better tell if there's something else lurking.

Mike
Old 12-06-2003, 11:04 AM
Advanced

For those of us who can't take it any more waiting for Acura red tape:

If we go to Bridgstone Tire Dealer and get the EL42's swapped free of charge.

And swap the EL42's for the Turanza LS-V.

Will the Turanza LS-V tires also be susceptible to flatspotting?

Do they have the same nylon BS that the EL42's have.

I guess we could get them installed because they have a 30 day trial period. If they flat spot lets just send em back once again.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Acuraaddict, is "which" issue a problem with the Turanzas?

I'll just resond for all 3.

Flatspotting, and vibration at all speeds IMO is caused by the tires. The 50-55 mph vibration is caused by the tranny, but possibly emphasized by the tires. The tires are no good.

chas083,

I realize this thread is dedicated to the problem with the tires, which is the problem I am experiencing. I just want to be clear that there are 3 separate issues so some people don't mistake one for the other. I'm guessing the EL42s are crap, and some batches are so poorly made that we feel vibrations from them. I don't know if accura plans on addressing the tranny vibration AND the tires, or just the tires. Acuraaddict may have some info on this.

That is about all I feel confident in predicting, but for all I know whatever "nylon belt" or something in the tire that causes flatspotting also causes the rest of the virbration. I honestly don't care. I just want tires that aren't poorly rated and don't vibrate.

Ryan
Old 12-07-2003, 02:40 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I took a 50 minute test drive today on the dealer demo that they had in the lot.

I went on the freeway and tried to stick around at about 50mph and noticed that the steering wheel vibrated slightly more than it did when I was going about 65mph. The car (tires) was definitely warm by then.

However, from reading the posts it sounds like most of the vibrational problems are actually VERY noticeable and wouldn't be just a slight vibration.

Is that a correct assumption?
Old 12-07-2003, 08:53 AM
Cruisin'

Can't speak for all, but in my case, the vibration actually creates noise that you cannot miss. I don't know the source but it might be contents in the glove box shaking. I get the vibration at about 30mph, 46 mph, and 52 mph. And it is definitely worse when the tires are cold.

To confirm that it is the tires, I have shifted into neutral and experienced the same vibration as the car moved through the speeds where the vibration is known to occur.

I have noticed the transmission vibration as well; it occurs when the car is in a gear and running at very low rpm -- around 1500 +/-; the vibration occurs when you hit the gas a little harder in order to maintain speed up a hill, etc. The vibration is quite evident in this case. But it is substantially less annoying than the tire vibration. If you hit the accelerator too hard, the transmission will down shift and there is no vibration.

So, to answer your original question, the tire vibration isn't subtle.

I complained to Acura and the Service Manager of the dealership called me a couple of days later. He asked me to bring the car in and said that he will personally handle the issue. He has already arranged for a loaner.

I hope they can fix it without me having to spend $600 on Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S. Car goes in Tuesday evening for attempt #2.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:08 AM
Racer

Here's my symptoms'. The car has a continuous low range vibration ... The vibration is STRONG at exactly 52 MPH ...I mean on the mark at 52 MPH ..very strange.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Question expat& others R your cars 6mt?/auto?

Originally posted by That Girl
Here's my symptoms'. The car has a continuous low range vibration ... The vibration is STRONG at exactly 52 MPH ...I mean on the mark at 52 MPH ..very strange.
Is your car a auto trans, It looks likwe you got yout white car
replacement for bad tranny old tl . Did they give you nav?
Old 12-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: expat& others R your cars 6mt?/auto?

Originally posted by jyg tl 3
Is your car a auto trans, It looks likwe you got yout white car
replacement for bad tranny old tl . Did they give you nav?

People on drugs shouldn't type.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: expat& others R your cars 6mt?/auto?

People on drugs shouldn't type.
:lol2:

But seriously, I think my car is being used as a guinea pig. Service has had my car for 2 weeks. Don't know when I'll ever see it again???

It was placed in service for engine vibrations at around 50-55 mph. Definitely not tire related. They are working with Acura Engineering in CA (so they say?)
Old 12-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Racer

Yes I got my car 04 tl White diamond pearl...although .. the color is actually Grand prix white.. Very confusing. No I didn't get the NAVI ,my 03 didn't have it ,so they would not give me that ,I want to stress that I STILL have to pay for the car ,it was a VIN number swap only... Even with the serious injurie's of my accident ,that is what ACURA did for me. I am really not complaining,what else was I going to do ? Take them to court and wait three year's to get a car to drive? I am sure I would have gotten something monetary as well ,but they insist that the driver of the other car's ins is going to take care of my injurie's ,however had it not been for the tranny ,there would be no injurie's ect...

I do enjoy the car though ,even though my 03 was new ,it was 6 month's old,this one has some upgrades and the body style kinda grew on me ,even though at first I wasn't impressed... probablly because my other car was still so new.

Anyway ...I do hope to get the vibration taken care of ,I told them about the vibration the day I test drove it and the day I took delivery ,but they seem to think I am just complaining and that I should JUST be thankful for ALL they have done for me .... Well I am thankful I have a car to drive ,but I am not thankful that that car gave me some serious injuire's ,but it's all part of their game plan and they DO know how to play.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Instructor

sue them anyway for injuries

caused by defective tranny,
Old 12-08-2003, 07:59 AM
Racer

They ..Acura corp made me sign a release that this car was a settlement. I am curious though ,it had mine and my husbands name on the contract,my husband refused to sign because his name is not on the title or the loan~! So he did not sign and they did not make him....but I am wondering if the contract is void because it was addresses to the both of us and only one signed,which was me.

It's not like I am going to sue them.....but I am curious as to the the release contract being valid at all since it was addressed to two people and it's missing a signature.

I am telling you ,the litigator that handeled this case for me that was representing Acura was upset that I took him up on the offer of paying some extra gas for the rental I had to drive. MIND you it was HE that said oh don't worry WE will pay all your extra gas .. SEE the Acura got like 20mpg where what I was driving got about 13 if that ...took like 37 dollars to fill a tank where my Acura took 20 and I could drive twice as far in Acura,but he was actually MAD that I brought that up ...HE ended up giving me 175.00 for gas in an I OWE YOU ...HAAA and was MAD that I made him right it out and sign it ! He said OH it's down to this now...and I said YES it is ,because he obviously forgot about it THEN ,so why would they pay later. ( This may sound nit-picky ,but if you know all that went on) I had been without my 03 a week shy of 4 months total because of all this on a car that was 6 month's aol ..count my accident and injuries' and they ACT as if they have REALLY went out on a limb for me ... Like I should have bowed to them ...

The only consolation is a have a car that is a different body style then my 03, with some added upgrades... NO NAVI THOUGH ...they would not budge on that . I could see their attitude if they GAVE me an 04 tl ,but they did not and I paid payments of 655.00 on my 03 that I did not even drive for 4 month's.

So yes I was picky about the gas and we'll see how long it takes for them to send me the 175.00 .. I hope it doesn'r cut into their pocket TOO much.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:17 AM
Instructor

That Girl, you should have talked with an attorney BEFORE signing anything. Considering the extent of your injuries, IMO Acura got off VERY easy.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Racer

They told me -the adjuster that ACURA hired, that if I talked to an Attorney THEY Acura would not talk to me at all. I also had NO idea what was in the release contract ,until 5 minutes before taking the car...I would have like to have atleast a week or even 3 day's to look over the relase contract........ maybe take it to an Attorney privately and let them see if the contract was fair and what ALL the temr's meant becuase I couldn't figure it out ...there were many legal terms that I knew nothing of as far as contracts go .

I was not to have an attorney in this matter ,told to me by the privately hired ACURA -defense litigator ,yet I found out that HE had an AUTHORITY and in fact I was DEALING with ACURA'S Attorney's ,which was HNA Honda North American LAW FIRM .. Now that DOES not seem fair ...
Old 12-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Pro

Originally posted by That Girl
They told me -the adjuster that ACURA hired, that if I talked to an Attorney THEY Acura would not talk to me at all. I also had NO idea what was in the release contract ,until 5 minutes before taking the car...I would have like to have atleast a week or even 3 day's to look over the relase contract........ maybe take it to an Attorney privately and let them see if the contract was fair and what ALL the temr's meant becuase I couldn't figure it out ...there were many legal terms that I knew nothing of as far as contracts go .

I was not to have an attorney in this matter ,told to me by the privately hired ACURA -defense litigator ,yet I found out that HE had an AUTHORITY and in fact I was DEALING with ACURA'S Attorney's ,which was HNA Honda North American LAW FIRM .. Now that DOES not seem fair ...
That Girl. Sorry to hear that you had an accident and got injured. However, you also got screwed by Acura. I would have talked to your insurance agent PRIOR to Acura to see what they would have paid etc. Also, if someone else has an attorney YOU better get an attorney or you more than likely will get screwed.

You now do not have any action against Acura. I will bet that in a year or two someone will start a class action suit against them for injuries and you are now left out. It was BECAUSE of them that you had an accident. The driver that hit you also has liability. You should have gone after Acura.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Racer

I still wonder about the legality of the contract ,it was asigned to me and my husband ,his name first and he did NOT SIGN. This contract was made by them it looked as if it was done on the spot ,not very legible iether. He was supposed to make me a copy before I left and he didn't so I am going to see about getting a copy. Nothing was straight with this whole deal ,the ajuster misrepresented himself from day one ,he came to my house stating he was sent there by ACURA to see what they could do for me ,in lue of what happened ,he did not state that he was a DEFENSE litigator for them,he carried on an act the whole time that he was working in MY FAVOR and that there were NO ATTORNEY's to be involved either by ACURA or MYSELF ,I see this was a LIE.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: 50 mph vibration and memory seat loss issues both soon to be addressed by Acura!

I have it on very good authority that both of these issues are soon to be resolved. I don't feel comfortable betraying any confidences by saying anything more, but lets just say I had a meeting with someone pretty high up from Acura Corporate in Carson today, and these issues have both been identified (you already know about the service bulletin for the memory seats).

Those of you who are fed up and thinking about buying tires, just hang on and I think you will be pleasantly surprized very soon.
This would be the great news. Hope Acura spreads these to dealers before my next visit.

Thanks, acuraddict.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

Acuraddict: What is the service bulletin relative to the seat memory loss??

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

Acuraddict: What is the service bulletin relative to the seat memory loss??

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Instructor

I think the Acura Customer Service is ridiculous. I called to complain about the amnesia on the seats memory. All I got was BS. I asked to talk to a supervisor and I was told one would call me back shortly. When I inquired about timeframe, I was told 2-3 business days.
I find it hard to complain about something as trivial as the memory on the seats but their customer service sucks. Is there any better information as to when the fix for the seats will be available?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

There is a service bulletin available to the techs at the Acura dealers. They can get this type of information easily at your dealer.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Instructor

acuraaddict:

Do you know if the fix has to do with some mechanical or electrical malfunction that needs a replacement part or is it something the dealer has to clap twice, tune to 88.1 and say the magic words to fix it?
Old 12-09-2003, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, no I don't think it works like that.

I don't know what the complete solution will be, but the turanza tires are clearly at the top of the list.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:07 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
For the first time my seats lost the memory today.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by I-MOD
For the first time my seats lost the memory today.
I'ts funny, I lost mine the first week twice, and since then it's been fine (and I've reprogrammned the seat and mirrors several times, while driving as I try to find the optimal positions. But I clearly lost it the first two times.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My car is in the shop today for the Memory loss and the 50 mph vibration. Does anyone here know how to re-create the memory loss? It seems like it looses the memory if the security re-lock is activated and you then unlock the car with the key instead of using the remote.. On the Vibration, I think mine is clealy a transmission issue. I have not experienced any vibration at speeds lower than 50 and higher than 65. The problem only comes when the car shifts to 5th and the engine rpm in around 1500 or so. I am waiting to see what my service advisor says about these issues.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:11 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

That's interesting -- I think that's the first post I've read with steps to potentially reproduce the seat memory loss bug. What do you mean by "security re-lock?" Is that when you unlock the car with the fob but do not open the door within a predetermind amount of time and the car re-locks itself?

What VIN is your car?

Originally posted by acur8ly
My car is in the shop today for the Memory loss and the 50 mph vibration. Does anyone here know how to re-create the memory loss? It seems like it looses the memory if the security re-lock is activated and you then unlock the car with the key instead of using the remote.. On the Vibration, I think mine is clealy a transmission issue. I have not experienced any vibration at speeds lower than 50 and higher than 65. The problem only comes when the car shifts to 5th and the engine rpm in around 1500 or so. I am waiting to see what my service advisor says about these issues.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear

I took my car into the dealer yesterday with a 50 mph vibration issue and left with a memory seat issue. When I got back into my car, the memory settings were gone. This was the first time that it has happened. I am wodering if acur8ly is on to something. Maybe the dealer locked or unlocked the car in a way that I never did. For example, I have never used the key in the door.

And BTW, the vibration is still there. In my case I am almost sure that it is the tires. They balanced the tires and did an alignment (it was pulling to the left).
Old 12-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Mine is going into the shop tomorrow for the same 2 issues (vibration at 55MPH and memory seats, plus a few minor fit and finish issues, by build is in the 5500).

I don't know how to reproduce the memory seats problem consistently, but I noticed the following:
1. The memory seats seem to be working fine if the green "1" LED is ON when I unlock the car with the remote. If the LED is on, I can move the seats (and then of course the LED goes off), but the seats go back to the stored position when I either push "1" or unlock with the remote again. So that is fine.
2. Once in a while the LED does NOT come on when I unlock the car with the remote (yes, I always use the remote). If I move the seat at that point (when the LED is not on), the memory settings are lost forever!
3. I found a "workaround" for the case #2 above. If I see that the memory LED is not on when I unlock the car, I simply push "memo", which causes both LEDs to blink for a few seconds and then stop. Once they stop blinking, the LED that I want remains on and we are back to normal!

I noticed that most of the time the LED is on when I unlock the car, so there is no problem. However, the case when the LED does not lit up when I unlock the car happens to me at least once a week when I unlock the car with the remote in the morning.

Just my 2 cents.
/tallrussian

Old 12-10-2003, 01:15 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

TallRussian:

Which dealer (and which salesperson?) did you purchase from? Where are you taking your car to get the service? Oakland Acura?

Thanks for the step by step on the seat memory loss issue. When you get a chance, can you also test what was posted above? (Let the doors re-lock, then open with key)

Originally posted by tallrussian
Mine is going into the shop tomorrow for the same 2 issues (vibration at 55MPH and memory seats, plus a few minor fit and finish issues, by build is in the 5500).

I don't know how to reproduce the memory seats problem consistently, but I noticed the following:
1. The memory seats seem to be working fine if the green "1" LED is ON when I unlock the car with the remote. If the LED is on, I can move the seats (and then of course the LED goes off), but the seats go back to the stored position when I either push "1" or unlock with the remote again. So that is fine.
2. Once in a while the LED does NOT come on when I unlock the car with the remote (yes, I always use the remote). If I move the seat at that point (when the LED is not on), the memory settings are lost forever!
3. I found a "workaround" for the case #2 above. If I see that the memory LED is not on when I unlock the car, I simply push "memo", which causes both LEDs to blink for a few seconds and then stop. Once they stop blinking, the LED that I want remains on and we are back to normal!

I noticed that most of the time the LED is on when I unlock the car, so there is no problem. However, the case when the LED does not lit up when I unlock the car happens to me at least once a week when I unlock the car with the remote in the morning.

Just my 2 cents.
/tallrussian
Old 12-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
My car is in the shop today for the Memory loss and the 50 mph vibration. Does anyone here know how to re-create the memory loss? It seems like it looses the memory if the security re-lock is activated and you then unlock the car with the key instead of using the remote..
The way you re-created is what I'm doing everyday. I cannot duplicate by this. My TL lost probably 4 times since October.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:53 PM
Advanced

Lore,

Yes, my salesperson was Virginia at Oakland Acura. And yes, I'm taking it to Oakland Acura for the warranty work, too.

I spoke with the service advisor today and I was told that they routinely give loaner cars for all warranty work. Will post the results when (or if) I get the car back tomorrow.

/tallrussian

P.S. I just tried the security relock and then unlock with the key, but that did not result in any memory loss for me. I have a feeling that the problem may have something to do with the memory seat module power-on reset circuitry or something of that sort. Why would the LED not lit up automatically, but then would lit up if I press "memo" and then wait for it to stop blinking? Maybe it needs a larger capacitor on the "reset" line to hold it down longer while the car is powering up upon unlocking, or something like that. Either way, I'm not a hardware engineer and I will let Acura deal with that. I think there may already be a TSB for this, or at least the service person sounded on the phone as if she knew exactly what I was talking about.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Lore
TallRussian:

Which dealer (and which salesperson?) did you purchase from? Where are you taking your car to get the service? Oakland Acura?

Thanks for the step by step on the seat memory loss issue. When you get a chance, can you also test what was posted above? (Let the doors re-lock, then open with key)

Quick Reply: 50 mph vibration and memory seat loss issues both soon to be addressed by Acura!