Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.1 DD Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.1 DD Indicator Light

I have multiple DD/DTS units in my home...and all of them have an indicator light when the unit is processing 5.1 DD/DTS.......

I do realize that it is pretty obvious when the stero is playing 5.1 media....but they still should have put some kind of indicator light on the display.......unless of course there is one...and I don't know where it is....

4 days since delivery and I have 600 miles....I love this car!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you talking about the TL's audio system? When it's playing a DVD-Audio disc, it states DVD-A on the screen I believe. When it's a normal CD, it does not.

I do not have the Navi.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Ya..I know that it tells you it is playing a DVD-A....but it does not indicate the format......5.1 surround or 2 channel.....most high-end stero equipment will tell you the format.........it is kind of picky of me........but I really don't care to much....the car drives like a dream.....it blows away my TL-S....
Old 02-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Racer

I am also a Home theater and HD Guru but the TL just does not show it. I have been satisfied with "DVD-A".

But your right. A nice indicator in Red "Dolby Digital" OR DTS would be a nice feature.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Pro

Originally posted by crk1216
Ya..I know that it tells you it is playing a DVD-A....but it does not indicate the format......5.1 surround or 2 channel.....most high-end stero equipment will tell you the format.........it is kind of picky of me........but I really don't care to much....the car drives like a dream.....it blows away my TL-S....
Why would it be playing a DTS disk in 2-channel format??? What am I missing?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Michaelvg1
I am also a Home theater and HD Guru but the TL just does not show it. I have been satisfied with "DVD-A".

But your right. A nice indicator in Red "Dolby Digital" OR DTS would be a nice feature.
Well it actually does. When playing 5.1 channel DVD-A is says DVD-A. When playing DTS discs it says DTS.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:11 AM
Racer

Correct. That's what I see as well.

A *minor* nit on this is that I wish they had extended this to 2 channel discs an printed someting like 'CD' rather than nothing. As it stands the only distinction between a slot loaded with a 2 channel CD and an empty slot is that the unloaded slot is sorta greyed out and a little hard to discern at a quick glance. But I do like how it distinguishes betweed dvd-a and dts discs.

Originally posted by Skeedatl
Well it actually does. When playing 5.1 channel DVD-A is says DVD-A. When playing DTS discs it says DTS.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

I understand...but as far as I understand as like DVD-V not all DVD-A play 5.1...some are recorded in 2 channel...For instance the Demo disc plays 2-channel and 5.1 channel format on a DVD-A. Most stereo equipment will indicate the # of channels being utilized by the media. I have an Onyko 797 at home and it will display DVD/PCM 2/0 DD or DVD/PCM 5/1 DD

Plus I read something that said XM is beginning to broadcast in 5.1......If that happens how will the audio system indicate this DD/DTS 5.1 broadcast with no indicator light.

Like I previously said this is a little picky...but will be useful for XM broadcasts in 5.1

I do not have any DTS Audio dics so I am glad to see it can tell the difference between DVD-A (DD) and DTS....
Old 02-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Pro

Like I previously said this is a little picky...but will be useful for XM broadcasts in 5.1
Don't hold your breath about Acura's built-in receiver being able to handle 5.1 broadcasts, if they ever materialize. I'm sure it's a function of the hardware and I'm sure the hardware that is in the current year model will not be able to handle it in more than 2 channels.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:35 AM
10th Gear

FYI...there are also DVD-A discs containing both 5.1 AND DTS versions. How will I-- or the disc player-- choose which will be played? Haven't bought my car yet...but had certainly assumed that the ability to manage this had been anticipated properly.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Speaking about further enchancements, there was an article in yesturdays New York Times about Siruis and Delphi creating the first GPS integrated Weather/Traffic updates. The updates will be displayed right on the GPS map. Accidents/traffic and weather patterns.

My friend saw the system demo at CES and said it was awesome. He mentioned the antenna is a bit HUGE....but they are working on it. They had a picture of it in the times.

For now XMs new instant weather/traffic channels will have to due......
Old 02-24-2004, 01:03 PM
DNA
Instructor

Speaking about further enhancements, there was an article in yesterdays New York Times about Siruis and Delphi creating the first GPS integrated Weather/Traffic updates. The updates will be displayed right on the GPS map. Accidents/traffic and weather patterns.

My friend saw the system demo at CES and said it was awesome. He mentioned the antenna is a bit HUGE....but they are working on it. They had a picture of it in the times.
Could you be confusing the car antennas used to pick up satellite video with integrated weather/traffic reception? These car video antennas are pretty big and were also shown at CES. I see no reason why XM wouldn't use the same antenna we have now. Traffic data doesn't require huge bandwidth like video does.

GPS with traffic input is already being done in parts of Europe and has been tested in parts of the U.S. Having your navigation system automatically reconfigure you to the fastest route as traffic changes would be very nice and would also improve driving safety. Traffic reporting would have to be a lot better than it is now, however, to be very useful, I'd think.

It has been speculated that the unused PC-card (PCMCIA) socket on our TL navigation units in the trunk (next to the DVD drawer) might be for traffic input.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally posted by marquis
A *minor* nit on this is that I wish they had extended this to 2 channel discs an printed someting like 'CD' rather than nothing.
Mine (non-Nav) says "CD" when a standard redbook CD is playing.

Mike