Sponsored by:

4G 2010 TL-Tech vs 3G TL Type S

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:38 AM
08 WDP TL-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4G 2010 TL-Tech vs 3G TL Type S

Hey guys,

A friend just bought a 2010 TL with tech package,and he said he gonna smoke me from a dig or even a roll.....then i said "yeah,you are right",he said he wanna run me on a highway some day next week,and we make the bet on one hundred dollars....so should i race him or just leave it?

we both cars r bone stock 5 AT

please comment and let me know should i go for it or not!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
dang, $100? is it the 3.7 shawd? or the 3.5 fwd?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,026 Likes on 1,518 Posts
My money is on the 3G TL-S.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:41 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
From what I understand is that the 3rd Gen TL-S weighs about 100lbs less than the 4th Gen TL FWD Tech from what I have found on the internet. Your TL-S has a 6hp and 2tq advantage at the crank(who knows what that means at the wheels). My money is on your TL-S but it will be a close race. If you were racing the TSX V6 which weighs about the same as your TL-S then that would be a toss up as they run the same 1/4 mile times as a TL-S 5at.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
get it on video, I think you'll win.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
that's a drivers race..either one of you guys could win depending on how you guys drive.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^there really isnt any skill
just mash the gas, its an AT.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SatinSilverAV6
From what I understand is that the 3rd Gen TL-S weighs about 100lbs less than the 4th Gen TL FWD Tech from what I have found on the internet. Your TL-S has a 6hp and 2tq advantage at the crank(who knows what that means at the wheels). My money is on your TL-S but it will be a close race. If you were racing the TSX V6 which weighs about the same as your TL-S then that would be a toss up as they run the same 1/4 mile times as a TL-S 5at.
I agree, but those TSX V6's have put down some quicker times than TL-S auto's. This run I give to Bread, the BASE 09 + TL just hasn't been that impressive from what I have seen.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
SOTP speaking, the 4G TL (base) which I drove at a recent GM event felt about as quick as the used 07 TL-S 5AT I drove last year. IMHO, I'd like to see those runs on video....but, nix the betting part. Wagers make people do some unsavory things.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
SOTP speaking, the 4G TL (base) which I drove at a recent GM event felt about as quick as the used 07 TL-S 5AT I drove last year. IMHO, I'd like to see those runs on video....but, nix the betting part. Wagers make people do some unsavory things.
What else did you get to drive there?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
What else did you get to drive there?
You asked for it (and besides the '11 TL base), we drove the current year models of the:

Acura MDX
ES350
Buick Lacrosse CXL
Buick Regal CXL
Buick Enclave
Chevy Traverse
Ford Explorer
Chevy C6 GS
Chevy Camaro SS
Chevy Volt
Chevy Equinox
Chevy Cruze

Notable comments:
The new Explorer is on the cusp of being the benchmark mid-size crossover SUV; it's only in need of an engine with at least 300hp/300lb-ft.

The Acura TL may compete directly with the Lacrosse and ES350 but even in base form, it clearly outperforms the latter two through just about every performance category. But, I give credit to GM on the Lacrosse: it's the GM version of the ES and a near perfect copy....right down to the quality of the materials. (Wife loved the ES, but IMO TL FTW!!)

The turbocharged Regal CXL was gutless...as was the Chevy Cruze. (A GM rep did indicated that a much more powerful turbo motor was coming for the Regal later this year.)

The Chevy Volt was terrific. I'd get this over the Leaf for the main reason being that it's Chevy Cruz engine acts as an alternative charging source.

MDX vs Enclave: Enclave has slightly better utility but it doesn't make up for it's relatively poor handling vs the MDX. (I drove the '11 MDX just to see if I could sense any notable change in gear shifting vs my '09 model.) The Traverse is stripper version of the Enclave, unless of course you get all the options. (generally speaking)

Chevy C6 GS: even with an automatic.

The Chevy Camaro SS was a LOT more civilized and refined than I thought it'd be. Then again, I've not driven a Camaro since the days in which an IROC-Z trim was offered.

My wife and I loved the Chevy Equinox and would readily get this over the CR-V and RAV4.

There were a number of other cars there that I did not drive:

Nissan Maxima (I've driven this before; it's the best car in the segment. If it had a conventional AT, I'd recommend this over the TL base)
Honda Accord 4 cyl (I've driven the V6 EX-L previously...nuff said)
Ford Taurus
Assorted GMC trucks (not interested in trucks but I wished I'd tried the Acadia Denali)
Chevy Camaro RS
Honda Civic
Honda CR-V
Honda Pilot
Toyota RAV4 (my 19 y/o daughter loved it)
Toyota Camry
Hyundai Elantra

Cliff Note: Check out GM Main Street in Motion

Last edited by F23A4; 07-27-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:55 AM
08 WDP TL-S

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
dang, $100? is it the 3.7 shawd? or the 3.5 fwd?
3.5 fwd bro....cuz he said his transmission is better than mine
Old 07-28-2011, 01:57 AM
08 WDP TL-S

yeah..i know...but just a bit scare to lost lol
Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 AM
08 WDP TL-S

Originally Posted by Ruby
get it on video, I think you'll win.
its hard to get a video bro...cuz i will just go alone by myself
Old 07-28-2011, 02:00 AM
08 WDP TL-S

Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
I agree, but those TSX V6's have put down some quicker times than TL-S auto's. This run I give to Bread, the BASE 09 + TL just hasn't been that impressive from what I have seen.
thanks bro....so i think i will go for it and let you guys knoe wut the result is...cuz my frd said he has no problem to beat me
Old 07-28-2011, 02:02 AM
08 WDP TL-S

yeah...thats why i scare of it too...becuz before i got my 3G-S,i drove a 4G TL (base fwd) as my courtesy car from dealer,and i feel its strong too
Old 07-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Bread-A Spec
its hard to get a video bro...cuz i will just go alone by myself
Easy ... Borrow a PDA phone (they are good now a day) and I am assuming you already have one. Use rubber bands and tie both of the phones on the passenger seat. One facing to the right (if you're on the left) and one face forward.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:08 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Dude just hold your digital camera and hit record. Just make sure when you hit triple digits you take the necessary precaution to reach around and put your seatbelt on, of course, while still holding the camera steady as you race. The extra pull you give on the seatbelt might actually lurch the car forward, resulting in a victory.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 AM

You asked for it (and besides the '11 TL base), we drove the current year models of the:

Acura MDX
ES350
Buick Lacrosse CXL
Buick Regal CXL
Buick Enclave
Chevy Traverse
Ford Explorer
Chevy C6 GS
Chevy Camaro SS
Chevy Volt
Chevy Equinox
Chevy Cruze

Notable comments:
The new Explorer is on the cusp of being the benchmark mid-size crossover SUV; it's only in need of an engine with at least 300hp/300lb-ft.

The Acura TL may compete directly with the Lacrosse and ES350 but even in base form, it clearly outperforms the latter two through just about every performance category. But, I give credit to GM on the Lacrosse: it's the GM version of the ES and a near perfect copy....right down to the quality of the materials. (Wife loved the ES, but IMO TL FTW!!)

The turbocharged Regal CXL was gutless...as was the Chevy Cruze. (A GM rep did indicated that a much more powerful turbo motor was coming for the Regal later this year.)

The Chevy Volt was terrific. I'd get this over the Leaf for the main reason being that it's Chevy Cruz engine acts as an alternative charging source.

MDX vs Enclave: Enclave has slightly better utility but it doesn't make up for it's relatively poor handling vs the MDX. (I drove the '11 MDX just to see if I could sense any notable change in gear shifting vs my '09 model.) The Traverse is stripper version of the Enclave, unless of course you get all the options. (generally speaking)

The Chevy Camaro SS was a LOT more civilized and refined than I thought it'd be. Then again, I've not driven a Camaro since the days in which an IROC-Z trim was offered.

My wife and I loved the Chevy Equinox and would readily get this over the CR-V and RAV4.

Nissan Maxima (I've driven this before; it's the best car in the segment. If it had a conventional AT, I'd recommend this over the TL base)
Ford Taurus
Assorted GMC trucks (not interested in trucks but I wished I'd tried the Acadia Denali)
Chevy Camaro RS
Honda Civic
Honda CR-V
Honda Pilot
Toyota Camry
Hyundai Elantra

Wow, sounds like you had a good time. Yes that new Explorer is nice but as you said needs a bit more power. LaCrosse, that is one good looking car (alot of Lexus GS styling cues in that). Corvette speaks for itself, Camaro rented a SS while on business got a complimentary upgrade (Iroc wow ). I was not totally impressed with it, mainly that cheezy interior but the power was great.

As far as Maxima I agree, it could be the best in that segment base TL, etc etc. If it had the 7spd auto thats in my Z or the 5spd auto unit that they used in the G until 08 it would be a great car instead of real good. That CVT and its drone at full power is just annoying annoying!

Last edited by Monte TLS,MAX; 07-28-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts

Acura MDX
ES350
Buick Lacrosse CXL
Buick Regal CXL
Buick Enclave
Chevy Traverse
Ford Explorer
Chevy C6 GS
Chevy Camaro SS
Chevy Volt
Chevy Equinox
Chevy Cruze

Notable comments:

Ford Taurus
Chevy Camaro RS
Honda Civic
Honda CR-V
Honda Pilot
Toyota Camry
Hyundai Elantra

As long as we're on the topic of test driving cars, I had the chance to flog a used (8k miles) '11 Mustang GT 6MT and cannot believe I'm lusting so badly over a domestic that's not a Vette. That car is a blast to drive.

It had the Brembos and I'm assuming the 3.31's, because it didn't feel as strong down low as I was expecting. It felt like a very low 13 second, 13 flat car at best, so I doubt it had the 3.73's. It also had a very linear power band (peak torque doesn't come until around 4k) and that may have been partly responsible for the perceived lack of low end grunt. I did still manage to get rubber in 4th however. I really want to drive one with the 3.73's.

What REALLY impressed me was the handling/braking. Never expected a Mustang to handle like that. I priced out a GT Premium 6MT at just under 38k with the Brembos, 3.73's, HID/security package, comfort package. Pricey for a Mustang, but it does everything better than the 335i I drove, it just lacks the fit and finish of the BMW.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator

I respect the Camaro but, I'm still a Mustang guy when it comes to pony cars.
The following users liked this post:
Bearcat94 (09-11-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The new GT is one of my favorite cars currently in production for sure..it handles SO well for any car especially a Stang...along with the 1M and 458 Italia lol
Old 08-02-2011, 03:57 PM

Yep, those "folks" that constantly wanna down the Stang because it can out run them etc etc wanna say that it can't handle....Obviously they have not driven one lately, as many of you fellas noticed it handles very good and now does just about everything well (fast, handles, much better interior etc). A performance bargain albeit GT or V6 as of 11.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I haven't driven the new Camaro, but I've sat in one and I hated the interior and the lack of outward visibility. Plus I think it's way over styled. Factor in its hefty weight, lack of handling ability and my newly earned respect for Ford for not looking for government handouts and the Mustang's a no brainer for me.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If its a 3.5 fwd 4th gen, your TL-S should take him no problems
Old 09-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
I made two videos using my iphone 4. One is in a 2010 TL SH-AWD doing a 60mph punch, then another in my 6spd manual TL Type S doing the same thing. I know basing things off of the speedometer isnt the most accurate, but its all I have to work with here. Also, considering they are basically the same cars any speedo inaccuracies should be about the same. 60mph to 90mph the Type S 6mt is clearly without a doubt faster than the SH-AWD. I cant speak for an automatic Type S though sorry.

I put the videos on my computer and used the stop watch function on my iphone. I viewed the video 3 times for each car starting the clock at 60mph and stopping at 90mph.

Here are my results:

2007 TL Type S 6mt HPT 60mph to 90mph:
One = 5.1 s
Two = 5.3 s
Three = 5.2 s

2010 TL SH-AWD (in sport mode) 60mph to 90mph:
One = 6.7 s
Two = 6.9 s
Three = 6.7 s

So again, these were nothing more than me watching the same video three times for each car and starting the stop watch at 60mph and stopping at 90mph. Both runs were on the same stretch of road driving home from work at the same time at night around 9pm only 1 person in each car.

I will make a seperate thread with these results as well and will even try to post up the videos if I can.

James
Old 09-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
^^^ I posted the videos in my new thread I made.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Hotwired05
If its a 3.5 fwd 4th gen, your TL-S should take him no problems
Don't be too quick to dismiss the base 10 TL. It doesn't give up much (if anything) to the 07-08 TL-S.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmmm....maybe it's just me but my '11 loaner felt like a boat compared to my '07 tls
Old 09-11-2011, 04:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by donnieb83
Hmmm....maybe it's just me but my '11 loaner felt like a boat compared to my '07 tls
Agree, at least in terms of acceleration. My loaner was a couple years ago, so it was '10, but my TL-S felt quicker for sure.

The MT TL-S mentioned above should be significantly quicker than the 4G Tech. It's lighter (by another ~100 lbs than the 3G AT), better gearing, more efficient power transfer, etc.

I think the rough calc by the poster bear that out; 1 sec difference 60 - 90 is quite a lot; too much for just the roughness of the method.

Edit:

There aren't many 3G TL-S's or 4G's posted, but only one the few that are posted get to the 14.4 or less that the 3G TL-S's can do. 14.6 seconds v 14.3 seconds on average.

Admittedly, the data set is a bit thin.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura--TL-D...sort=year-down

Last edited by Bearcat94; 09-11-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by donnieb83
My guess is that it is due to the regular unleaded gasoline that is used in the loaner. I doubt anyone who is driving the loaner is going to put premium in it. I know I wouldn't!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
^ I'll remember that the next time when car shopping and the salesman says "this was a dealerships loaner vehicle."
Old 09-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

My guess is that it is due to the regular unleaded gasoline that is used in the loaner. I doubt anyone who is driving the loaner is going to put premium in it. I know I wouldn't!

So, true!!