Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Gear TSB

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raven37
Can Someone point me to the TSB for the Acura TL that has the instructions to change the gearset?
::COUGHpost9COUGH::
Old 04-24-2008, 03:21 PM
7th Gear

DOH! I want to talk trash back, but I must have missed the TL TSB in my anger for the situation. Now I'm even more mad. My service rep never called me, despite his promise to resolve this as soon as the official paperwork was out in the public. This is ridiculous!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Advanced

What about the clutch?

I believe it was Evan who said they were replacing his clutch while performing the third gear transmission repair. A couple of people have asked if that was included in the recall. Was it? It doesn't seem like it should be part of it. If not, did you get some concession on the clutch labor since the transmission will already be out of the car? If the tranny is out (especially on a FWD car), it's tempting to put a clutch in if they are willing to play ball and reduce the labor charge proportionately.

Let us know what happened!

Thanks,
John
Old 04-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Johndoyle
I believe it was Evan who said they were replacing his clutch while performing the third gear transmission repair. A couple of people have asked if that was included in the recall. Was it? It doesn't seem like it should be part of it. If not, did you get some concession on the clutch labor since the transmission will already be out of the car? If the tranny is out (especially on a FWD car), it's tempting to put a clutch in if they are willing to play ball and reduce the labor charge proportionately.

Thanks,
John

My clutch went out at 7500 miles thats originally why I went in for service. I had mentioned the third gear thing and lucky for me the TSB came out two days prior to me dropping car off so they had to take the trans out anyways. I think that if the TSB had not come out i wouldve at least had to pay for labor and or parts. Anyways they replaced my clutch and flywheel all for free and put down on the service sheet "One time good will replacement".

My trans is running great like I said, only problem i have had is getting into reverse on cold starts. I have been trying to be so careful on my clutch now LOL. And I still want that damn CDV taken off its so annoying. CDV (clutch delay valve) is a pain but the dealer wont remove it, its only on 07-08 MT's.

So the shifts are better in all gears its seems, shifter pops in and out clean now, rarely is it rough and if it is its because of user error. The clutch pedal is damn sensitive I tell ya. As my new clutch wears in driving gets better and better each day.

I have decided that I will not be doing downshifts any longer I think this was one of the reasons my clutch failed on me (ill just wear my breaks down), I downshifted basically every stop light all the way down into 2nd. I think the third gear as well was to blame because I grinded that b**ch a lot. Also the CDV causes more wear on clutch as mean to protect your tranny.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:18 PM
8th Gear

Dropped the car off today. Apparently according the service manager they had replaced the 3rd gear set on an 08 TL-S just last week with no problem. They hinted to the fact that mine may take the same fix. We shall see. My fingers are definately crossed.

On a side note. Got a TSX as a loaner.... wow does the TL-S blow it away lol. Not even a fair comparison.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Excelon
Dropped the car off today. Apparently according the service manager they had replaced the 3rd gear set on an 08 TL-S just last week with no problem. They hinted to the fact that mine may take the same fix. We shall see. My fingers are definately crossed.

On a side note. Got a TSX as a loaner.... wow does the TL-S blow it away lol. Not even a fair comparison.

Awesome hope it goes well for you. Everything is still great on my car except for some reason from very cold starts I am almost unable to get into Reverse. Which means that if this problem does not get better I am gonna have to take it back for them to fix the reverse gear set, maybe they didnt set it in properly.

Other then that all the 6 gears are shifting VERY smooth, no grinding, no poping out, nothing just smooth shifts, hope it stays that way. Oh also the car felt very different then before but that couldve been from driving the TSX for a week, and like you SAID OMG TSX is close to garbage compared to TL-S, havent been in a new one but I dont see that it could be much better and for 28k wow. I guess the MSRP for a TL-S is 38k, but you know us members here didnt pay that much
Old 04-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by evanj5
Awesome hope it goes well for you. Everything is still great on my car except for some reason from very cold starts I am almost unable to get into Reverse. Which means that if this problem does not get better I am gonna have to take it back for them to fix the reverse gear set, maybe they didnt set it in properly.
I had my 3rd gear set replaced last Feb and haven't experienced the 'popping out of 3rd gear' issue. I was told by the service rep that after they put the transmission back together, it won't go into reverse. So they had to pull it apart again. To date, I have not had any problems with the work they did.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Thanks,
John
That would be wonderful for some of the higher mileage cars to be able to just pay for the clutch assembly parts and not have to pay the full amount for the labor per the third gear TSB; two birds with one stone.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:26 PM
B A N N E D

I've got an appointment with my 07 TL-S next week for this TSB and some other issues to be taken care of. I will report back here what happens...
Old 04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
07 Type S NBP

Thumbs up

Changed to the GM fluid approx 250 miles ago so far trans has not had any shifting problems. All other shifts also seem smoother. Before the GM fluid had problems with popping out and hard to shift into 3 gear happened daily.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Ok guys I'm new to this tl/having a warranty/etc stuff.

I can say that every so often I will miss 3rd. But I am so used to driving a crap car it still seems like heaven to me....

So what do I do, just take it in and have them look at it? What if they can't reproduce the problem? Do they say 'come back when it starts to ef up"? Or do I have them do the new parts now?

Thanks,
Chad
Old 04-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maharajamd
Ok guys I'm new to this tl/having a warranty/etc stuff.

I can say that every so often I will miss 3rd. But I am so used to driving a crap car it still seems like heaven to me....

So what do I do, just take it in and have them look at it? What if they can't reproduce the problem? Do they say 'come back when it starts to ef up"? Or do I have them do the new parts now?

Thanks,
Chad

Yeah, they'll need to reproduce the problem...it pretty much depends on the technician who drives it. Maybe if the dealership (stealership) is hungry for work, they might just fix your transmission just to generate revenue.

I too have been having the same problem. My 3rd will pop out every once in a while (lately, it's been happening once a day). I figured I could live with it or just change the fluid like everyone says. Usually, I'll have trouble with 3rd (popping out or having to force it into 3rd) when the transmission is colder...if I've been driving for a while, it rarely happens.

When I saw this thread, I said what the heck, I'll call to have them take a look at it. I dropped off my car last Friday (they gave me a loaner TSX...man, I miss my TL), and on Monday, they told me that they were able to reproduce the problem. If they weren't able to reproduce it, I would have just changed the fluid to be done with it.

Since a lot of TL owners have been flocking to the dealers for this TSB, the parts are on backorder... parts should arrive to my dealer by May 8 or 9. They're also going to do the power steering and hose recall thing too. The dealer says it's a 3 day job once all of the parts are in. I'll post here once I get my car back.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Race Director

Interesting....then I will wait and see if it gets any worse. Hopefully by then the parts won't be so tuff to come by.

TSBs are "active" forever right? I mean, it doesn't say anywhere you have between now and then to fix it, right?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear

I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I have a 05 TL that suffered the 3rd gear issue about a year into it. I took it to Acura and as expected they changed the transmission fluid. I was very skeptical since I did not know how this could be a 'fix'. To my surprise the problem went away so I guess I was fat, dumb and happy. 2 or 3 months ago the problem came back. I sniffed the forums, no TSB so I took it back to Acura and told them to fix it and not to change the fluid because I would not buy that as a 'fix'. Bottom line, they had the car for 1 month (they did give me an 07 drive in the mean time – an automatic, yuck!). They thought about what to do but during that time the TSB came out and they decided to rip the tranny apart. I was reluctant to let them do it but I was tired of the problem so I told them to go for it. In my case they got some of the parts but not all, then more backorder and in the end they got a brand new tranny from Japan (but with the bad 3rd gear) and then Honda had it shipped here to the US and had someone (not the dealer but an authorized rep I guess) open it up, take out the bad bits and replace with the 'fixed' gearset etc. and send to my dealer. I’m not sure if they have an existing process to do this and am not sure why they did it this way but I figured whatev.

Back in and I've been driving it for a couple days now. So far so good. Shifting is very smooth and the car has not misbehaved in 3rd gear once as I would expect. I can tell that something is different and it feels better – the way it should.

You guys can talk fluid change all you and I am no mechanic but my opinion there is no amount of changing fluid will 'fix' this and if they have determined that the parts in the tranny need replaced that while the car is under warranty I wanted them to do it. I have less than 30K miles on it so I have time to drive it to ensure everything is good.

If you don’t have the problem I am not saying let them rip your tranny open but if you do then to me it just seems the right thing to do given how they actually have identified replacement parts for the exact problem we are all having.

Just my opinion. . . .
Old 05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Just wanted to let everyone know, I got my car back yesterday with the new gear set. Everything is much much smoother - as you would expect from a car of this caliber. Two days of rush hour driving and no 3rd gear issues. It would have happened several times by now.

If anyone is still on the fence about doing this TSB, I would suggest going for it! Well worth it and there don't appear to be any repercussions from anyone poking around in the transmission.

I think Honda / Acura finally got it right.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by itsryanftw
Yeah, they'll need to reproduce the problem...it pretty much depends on the technician who drives it. Maybe if the dealership (stealership) is hungry for work, they might just fix your transmission just to generate revenue.

I too have been having the same problem. My 3rd will pop out every once in a while (lately, it's been happening once a day). I figured I could live with it or just change the fluid like everyone says. Usually, I'll have trouble with 3rd (popping out or having to force it into 3rd) when the transmission is colder...if I've been driving for a while, it rarely happens.

When I saw this thread, I said what the heck, I'll call to have them take a look at it. I dropped off my car last Friday (they gave me a loaner TSX...man, I miss my TL), and on Monday, they told me that they were able to reproduce the problem. If they weren't able to reproduce it, I would have just changed the fluid to be done with it.

Since a lot of TL owners have been flocking to the dealers for this TSB, the parts are on backorder... parts should arrive to my dealer by May 8 or 9. They're also going to do the power steering and hose recall thing too. The dealer says it's a 3 day job once all of the parts are in. I'll post here once I get my car back.

They do not have to reproduce it. The TSB even states it may not be reproduced. When I dropped mine off they asked if they could easily reproduce it and I said no. They will take it for a drive of course and see, but they will also put it up in the air and check it out. It's so well documented they have no choice but to take it seriously.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:59 PM
8th Gear

I got my car back tonight. They did replace my 3rd gear set and sleeve. The drive home went very well. I downshifted to 3rd every chance I got with no issue. It definately feels different. It shifts smoother into 3rd than the previous set did on it's best day. This is only one drive, so I'll give an update in about a week.

The car itself looks flawless, and the interior looks clean and new like when I dropped it off. So far the work seems to be top notch. Just stating these facts if anyone is considering the TSB and worried about the work done.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelon
I downshifted to 3rd every chance I got with no issue. It definately feels different. .
This is an interesting comment. I have only had an issue with 3rd gear on the 2/3 shift. Never had anything happen on a 4/3 shift other then a clean shift.

I wonder what others are experiencing?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:53 PM
3rd Gear

The only time I hit it was from 2 to 3 and plenty of times. Never downshifting into 3rd. . . ever.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:04 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
This is an interesting comment. I have only had an issue with 3rd gear on the 2/3 shift. Never had anything happen on a 4/3 shift other then a clean shift.

same
Old 05-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

Me too... I've only experienced it on the 2/3 shift, never the 4/3 shift
Old 05-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Had the 3rd gear set replaced (And more)

I had the 3rd gear problem ever since purchasing my car back in September of 05. It never wanted to go into 3rd gear when it was cold. As of about 6 months ago, I would put it into 3rd, thinking it seated correctly let the clutch out and it would pop right out making a horrible sound.

Anyway, when I had my car in for service I mentioned this issue to them (this was around February of this year). They said this was an extremely common problem and they would look into it. After draining the factory fluid and finding metal shavings they recommended opening up the tranny and investigating what was going on. With MUCH hesitation, i agreed. I really didn't want them opening up my baby, but they did and it turns out the 3rd gear was worn down along with parts of the 4th gear.

To make a long story short, I had a loaner car for over a week while they replaced both the 3rd and 4th gears and syncros. I've driven the car about 3000 miles or so since and the tranny has been smooth as butter. From what I can tell by the feel of the car, they did an absolute superb job. For you Marylanders, this was Norris Acura West in Ellicott City. If anyone has any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Race Director

^ Agreed. I've never had issues downshifting to third...
Old 05-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Need 4 Speed...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dropped my 05 off at the dealer on Monday. Transmission is out of the car but the remaining washers needed to complete the job will come either Mon or Tues. They will also change that power steering hose and are giving me a new shift knob for free bc it looks worn. They also putting in a new airbag on the steering wheel bc some of the chrome of the acura emblem came off. They hooking me up big time. PLus a free hand car wash like they do everytime. Also i'm buying an extended warranty for $1,500. I've been driving around in a RDX for the past week. Taking it to AC this weekend and putting the miles on that - haha.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
If anyone has the clutch replaced as part of this please let us know how much they charged you.

If its not a killer it would make sense to do this with the trans out of the car for the free service.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Race Director

Hmm...it'll still be $$$

Good advice though.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Instructor

This is one of the more frustrating TSBs. I told my dealer that it is not reproducible as it is difficult to shift occasionally and that TSB acknowledges this in its opening. They said they cannot do anything if it does not occur during the test drive.
I wonder if I can get one of them as my personal driver for a week.
Me, being driven unto the on-ramp of the interstate: Driver: Sir, it will not go into third gear! Me: Merge bitch! Merge!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dejavecu
This is one of the more frustrating TSBs. I told my dealer that it is not reproducible as it is difficult to shift occasionally and that TSB acknowledges this in its opening. They said they cannot do anything if it does not occur during the test drive.
I wonder if I can get one of them as my personal driver for a week.
Me, being driven unto the on-ramp of the interstate: Driver: Sir, it will not go into third gear! Me: Merge bitch! Merge!
That is exactly what happened to me a couple of times - merging into the Interstate and the 3rd gear didn't engage. Good thing is that I did not merge first before finding out I cannot get into 3rd gear. I told the dealer that the problem has become a safety issue rather than an annoyance. Not sure if that's what moved them into action but it's worth a shot. Note that the TSB has not come out yet (at least not to my knowledge) when they replaced my 3rd gear set in Feb.
I also wasn't able to reproduce the problem with their tech during a test drive. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:36 PM
2nd Gear

I have an 06 TL manual and have been having the fairly typical 3rd gear problem described in this post (and others). Currently car has 25,000 miles and probably began happening in the first 10,000 miles. Definitely worse when cold, but not always temperature dependent, would also happen after driving for some distance. Also very intermittent, but I found myself being very mindful and deliberate with 2/3 shift over the past several months. Anyhow I called local Acura dealer last week, Brookfield Acura in Wisconsin, and they said "Yep recall just announced. Bring it in." New third gear "set" replaced and also power steering hose. Dropped the car off Wednesday and done as promised today, Friday. Service tech said clutch, 4th gear, etc all looked good. I have not yet driven, but I will repost after several days of driving and let you know. The new third gear "set" is a totally different part per the tech, so hopefully will be a permanent fix. I never did any fluid changes myself so cannot comment intelligently about that approach, but hopefully this TSB will be the fix. Good luck. Brookfield Acura was great about this whole mess.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by waffles
I have an 06 TL manual and have been having the fairly typical 3rd gear problem described in this post..... Brookfield Acura was great about this whole mess.

....nothing beats a first rate dealer..........

Please let us know how the 'fix' works out.

best, ez....
Old 05-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I use to do the paint work for that dealer's preferred bodyshop down the street, when I lived in WI.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
My clutch went out at 7500 miles thats originally why I went in for service. I had mentioned the third gear thing and lucky for me the TSB came out two days prior to me dropping car off so they had to take the trans out anyways. I think that if the TSB had not come out i wouldve at least had to pay for labor and or parts. Anyways they replaced my clutch and flywheel all for free and put down on the service sheet "One time good will replacement".

My trans is running great like I said, only problem i have had is getting into reverse on cold starts. I have been trying to be so careful on my clutch now LOL. And I still want that damn CDV taken off its so annoying. CDV (clutch delay valve) is a pain but the dealer wont remove it, its only on 07-08 MT's.

So the shifts are better in all gears its seems, shifter pops in and out clean now, rarely is it rough and if it is its because of user error. The clutch pedal is damn sensitive I tell ya. As my new clutch wears in driving gets better and better each day.

I have decided that I will not be doing downshifts any longer I think this was one of the reasons my clutch failed on me (ill just wear my breaks down), I downshifted basically every stop light all the way down into 2nd. I think the third gear as well was to blame because I grinded that b**ch a lot. Also the CDV causes more wear on clutch as mean to protect your tranny.
If you're losing a clutch in 7500 miles, you have a serious problem with either your car or your technique. Also, down shifting should never cost any abnormal wear on a clutch assembly. In fact, the wear would be far less than starting from a stop.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
If you're losing a clutch in 7500 miles, you have a serious problem with either your car or your technique. Also, down shifting should never cost any abnormal wear on a clutch assembly. In fact, the wear would be far less than starting from a stop.

Well yeah I think something may be wrong with my car. I am getting a vibration somewhere, cluth i think but not sure, almost everytime I downshift so I just havent been down shifting, from what I have read could be like a warped pressure plate, but I would of thought they wouldve seen that. I might have burnt my clutch up a couple time LOL but Im not suuuuuuree

I go for another oil change in 2k miles so I am going to mention the issue, they replaces the clutch and flywheel and still getting this vibration on downshifts

blah my car has been giving me a headache just dont want to think about it anymore.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

Well yeah I think something may be wrong with my car. I am getting a vibration somewhere, cluth i think but not sure, almost everytime I downshift so I just havent been down shifting, from what I have read could be like a warped pressure plate, but I would of thought they wouldve seen that. I might have burnt my clutch up a couple time LOL but Im not suuuuuuree

I go for another oil change in 2k miles so I am going to mention the issue, they replaces the clutch and flywheel and still getting this vibration on downshifts

blah my car has been giving me a headache just dont want to think about it anymore.
Yeah, you'd almost have to be trying to roast a clutch to waste it in 7500 miles. I would bet there's something going on there, too.

Good luck and let us know.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Did you not have your clutch assembly replaced not too long ago?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dejavecu
Did you not have your clutch assembly replaced not too long ago?

Yes I just had the clutch replaces when getting the TSB done.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Race Director

^ I would have to say they didn't do something correctly. Could have not torqued down a bolt to spec or what not. The tranny has 123345621345674321 bolts that all need torqued to different specs. Well, at least in the prelude, I'm sure it's not too different.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Advanced

I definitely had the symptoms...

... and found them unacceptable. The dealer service department was unable to replicate the problem and therefore nothing was done (in 2006). I discovered the synchromesh fluid fix on this board and did it. I have never had a single symptom since I changed the fluid (now 21,000 miles). I discussed the issue with the service advisor at my dealer and he said they'd do whatever I wanted, but recommended that I wait until I'm nearer the end of the warranty so that I come out of the warranty with a fresh transmission overhaul.

I have the same hesitancy about letting them take it apart that many of the rest of you do, but I also feel like I should have the improved parts if the originals are defective. Is anyone else in my position opting out of the recall? I keep changing my mind back and forth...
Old 05-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

... and found them unacceptable. The dealer service department was unable to replicate the problem and therefore nothing was done (in 2006). I discovered the synchromesh fluid fix on this board and did it. I have never had a single symptom since I changed the fluid (now 21,000 miles). I discussed the issue with the service advisor at my dealer and he said they'd do whatever I wanted, but recommended that I wait until I'm nearer the end of the warranty so that I come out of the warranty with a fresh transmission overhaul.

I have the same hesitancy about letting them take it apart that many of the rest of you do, but I also feel like I should have the improved parts if the originals are defective. Is anyone else in my position opting out of the recall? I keep changing my mind back and forth...
Well, since I have never had the problem in any way, shape, or form, I'm most certainly not taking my '04 in to any dealer to screw things up that aren't bad.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Advanced

...more than 20k on the GM goo........

I discovered the synchromesh fluid fix on this board and did it....... never had a single symptom since I changed the fluid (now 21,000 miles).

.........you've made my day/week/month/year with your 20+k testimonial for GMSFM.......

best, ez....

Quick Reply: 3rd Gear TSB